• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GTAIV Comparison Head-to-Head Thread Episode V: An Epic Tale of ManBoobs and Woe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeB

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
It looks like parity has been acheived, especially considering how much 640p harping was piled onto Halo 3 by PS3 fanboys.

I think not only "PS3 fanboys" were surprised, Halo 3 was a high budget project, actually the most high profile first party 360 exclusive. Still 640p, no AA and not a solid framerate throughout the game. Needless to say development was lead on the 360 for Halo 3.

GTA IV development was also lead on the 360, the 3rd party port quality to the PS3 is quite good (I would say well improved overall, judging from reviews and comparison screenshots). GTA IV to me seems more demanding than any multi-platform 360 to PS3 game so far and more demanding than Halo 3 as well.

More info on multi-platform (game design sacrifices and potential porting difficulties if development is lead on the 360) and exclusive development can be found within this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184843

With regard to GTA IV development Rockstar stated they still haven't 'cracked it' with regard to the PS3 architecture (thus headroom PS3 specific game engine improvements for future games). They also stated a default harddrive and more storage space is very important to them for future games.

f@luS

More than a member.
GenericPseudonym said:
Do you think any of the major review sites buys large television that cost significantly more money and take up more space. I wouldn't be surprised if most reviewed on computer monitors.
:lol oh yeah sure

urk said:
TWICE THE POP!

:lol

I just thought about the possibility that someone would say that :)

I don't think Guitar Hero 2 can be compared to DLC that Microsoft paid Rockstar $50 million to get exclusivity on for a game that will be easily one of the best games this generation and definitely one of the best games I've ever played in my entire life.

It probably isn't overthetop to call it the biggest release this generation either.

I'm hoping the 360 DLC is really good, but if not who cares at least I got an amazing game.

tfur

Treo360 said:
That would be me, and yes I was able to reproduce it, but not to the Nth degree like 50. I wasn't able to hit the tree before it popped up, however I found that if I drove right by it at high speed, it would not be there. Then there are times when I round that corner and it is there, go figure, and trust me I stood there repeating the whole (non) issue until my car bursted into a huge fireball taking out several people along the way:D

I guess I too could make a video showing this, but to what end?

No, no video is needed...

I just trying to be fair to dot50...

Naix said:
Guys, any place where we can find screens/vids of both versions and detailed comparaison ?

I have to decide which version to get before tomorrow and my head is going to explode.

I would say that if you like big screen HDTVs, graphics delivered at their developer intended resolution with out any hackish' sacrifices, and the warm feeling you get when you buy the superior version of a multiplatform game, go 360.

If you like 19" SDTVs, blurry, unfocused graphics due to sub-standard near last-gen resolutions, sandwiches, knowing that others are playing a far superior game than you on a competing less expensive platform and trannys I'd say PS3.

tfur

Euphor!a said:
What? So the reviewers are wrong? I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.

I am just applying the ostrich(head in sand) logic here...

The summation of reviews favor the ps3...

MikeB said:
I think not only "PS3 fanboys" were surprised, Halo 3 was a high budget project, actually the most high profile first party 360 exclusive. Still 640p, no AA and not a solid framerate throughout the game. Needless to say development was lead on the 360 for Halo 3.

GTA IV development was also lead on the 360, the 3rd party port quality to the PS3 is quite good (I would say well improved overall, judging from reviews and comparison screenshots). GTA IV to me seems more demanding than any multi-platform 360 to PS3 game so far and more demanding than Halo 3 as well.

More info on multi-platform (game design sacrifices and potential porting difficulties if development is lead on the 360) and exclusive development can be found within this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184843

With regard to GTA IV development stated they still haven't cracked it with regard to the PS3 architecture (thus headroom PS3 specific game engine improvements for future games). They also stated a default harddrive and more storage space is very important to them for future games.

I don't see how that explained why GTAIV PS3 running at 630p is excusable but slight pop-in is not. I also don't see how that it refuted that GTA IV is 10p less than Halo 3 which already got so much shit piled on it.

I last checked this thread at about a little over 3 hours ago, now that I come back I see that it has grown 14 pages. This is mass madness. Reading these pages all at once is overwhelming. This is maybe the most FUD slinging thread I've read on this this or any other forum in a long time, it is just hilarious the misinformation people keep thinking is fact. I do hope Gametrailers puts up a comparison or some real high res videos of both the PS3 and 360 version are taken in similar areas to judge which people prefer. It seems like a lot of people here (I will not name names, but it should be obvious) already are decided on the version they will buy and are simply trying to justify their future purchase or something. The same old bullet point war has been waged on for too long, we just need some legit images and videos to make the choice ourselves. The only question I have is if this beyond3d guy who found out the PS3 resolution did it off his own version or IGN screens. I don't know the history of if he found out the res on CoD4 or Halo 3 after the release or from screens.

I just want a solid video of each version at a good resolution to see what all this "warm/vibrant/sharp/cool/natural/clinical/whatever" is actually about and what it means to me when I'm playing this game.

gregor7777 said:
I would say that if you like big screen HDTVs, graphics delivered at their developer intended resolution with out any hackish' sacrifices, and the warm feeling you get when you buy the superior version of a multiplatform game, go 360.

If you like 19" SDTVs, blurry, unfocused graphics due to sub-standard near last-gen resolutions, sandwiches, knowing that others are playing a far superior game than you on a competing less expensive platform and trannys I'd say PS3.

Yikes.

BIG BUBBA

Did I mention it's time to cancel my Ratchet and Clank preorder yet?
img_0395408.jpg

PS3 version... Looks pretty bad, folks.

I'd rather play Gex 64 than that shit..............................................

This thread has not disappointed.

urk said:
Totally agree. And anyone thinking that GTAIV will feature a robust, open world needs to fire up their copy of "Table Tennis."
At first I was like, wtf, and then I was like "oh, it's urk" :lol

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
GenericPseudonym said:
I don't see how that explained why GTAIV PS3 running at 630p is excusable but slight pop-in is not.
because you have to take it in the context of reality. not only do we not see the PS3 visuals as inferior, by a few accounts and many personal opinions they same to be preferred.

on the other hand, pop-in is NEVER preferred.

Of course I'm not going to propagate any of this crap, but if everything were exactly as you stated, that is what my answer would be.

Dever said:
I heard having an HD-DVD drive makes the game run at 1080p.

I heard everyone with a gamerscore of 20,000 and above is actually playing the superior PS3 version, emulated and streamed over MS' GTA4 Supreme Class Dedicated Servers.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
GenericPseudonym said:
I don't see how that refuted that GTAIV PS3 running at 630p is excusable but slight pop-in is not. I also don't see how that it refuted that GTA IV is 10p less than Halo 3 which already got so much shit piled on it.
Again, Halo 3 does not use anti-aliasing, had framerate issues throughout, and was built specifically for ONE platform with a massive budget behind it.

GTAIV on PS3 actually uses anti-aliasing and lots of post processing to produce a more pleasing image than Halo 3. The game is also much more demanding and development was started first on XBOX360. If anything, both issues (pop-in and resolution) are being blown out of proportion.

In fact, I highly doubt most people here would have actually noticed the lower resolution if it hadn't been pointed out (andrewfee being an exception, of course). Most people don't seem to notice or care when a game is rendered in a slightly lower resolution provided the game uses anti-aliasing of some sort. Halo 3 is picked on simply because it did not use any while still struggling to maintain a solid framerate.

KTallguy

Banned
GenericPseudonym said:
Why do you have a Live vision camera?

:lol

I heard if you don't reformat your PS3 HDD before installing, you'll get single digit framerate in multiplayer.

If you have country music on your hard drive when players shoot you in MP they'll get headshots no matter where they aim.

gregor7777 said:

Well if you wanna play on a system that sounds like it has chronic bronchitis, with more pops then pop rocks, get it for 360....

If you want just a seemless gta experiance, then go out and steal a car......

PS3 FTW

jmd494

BIG BUBBA said:
img_0395408.jpg

PS3 version... Looks pretty bad, folks.

I'd rather play Gex 64 than that shit..............................................
Holy crap...is that retail?

IDK if you're joking but the jaggies...ouch.

Guy Legend

Vaxadrin said:
I heard that games aren't fun when played on PS3. It would explain why PS3 owners are so bitter all the time.

That's what happens when you are able to play games for too long. RROD provides a nice break to get away and return fresh.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm just saying, when was the last time anyone's pre-release hype of future DLC ever even remotely matched up with what got released? Even Rock Band, which has the best DLC support I've recall in a console game hasn't exactly lived up to the hype we got pre-release; where fans were promised all these full albums, full band catalogs, etc by awesome bands like the Who, Nirvana and Metallica. Last I heard, the only actual full DLC album that's coming out is the freaking Cars.

If you're actually expecting DLC that's three times the size of San Andreas, you're most likely going to be extremely disapointed.

As for which version is superior: I don't get fighting over it at all, as if individual forumites have some kind of stake in each company. Just buy the version for the system you have, and if you have both systems, just buy whichever one you think is better. What's the purpose of trash talking the other version? That makes virtually no fucking sense at all. Probably the most pointless point of pride this side of people that believe that musical taste is an accomplishment.

Vaxadrin

Banned
Guy Legend said:
That's what happens when you are able to play games for too long. RROD provides a nice break to get away and return fresh.

Thank god PS3 owners have Talladega Nights & Spiderman, then.

Minsc

Gold Member
Justin Dailey said:

Holy shit that's horrible if that is what AA looks like on the PS3. It's as bad as RE4 looks on the Wii to me.

Fake shot?

Forsete

Vaxadrin said:
I heard that games aren't fun when played on PS3. It would explain why PS3 owners are so bitter all the time.

Its not the PS3 owners who started drinking vinegar after the IGN review (heck, most GTAIV reviews). :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

It's a 1080p LCD panel. I'm sure the 360 version will look a tad sharper, but it will also sport obvious jaggies on such a display.

Angry Grimace said:
I'm just saying, when was the last time anyone's pre-release hype of future DLC ever even remotely matched up with what got released? Even Rock Band, which has the best DLC support I've recall in a console game hasn't exactly lived up to the hype we got pre-release; where fans were promised all these full albums, full band catalogs, etc by awesome bands like the Who, Nirvana and Metallica. Last I heard, the only actual full DLC album that's coming out is the freaking Cars.

If you're actually expecting DLC that's three times the size of San Andreas, you're most likely going to be extremely disapointed.

No one is expecting that. Who exactly are you talking to?

You comparison is tremendously flawed.

Why not discuss the other games where a platform holder invested $50 million in exchange for secured exclusive episodic content?

I can wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom