• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

FrankT

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
"The reality is hard to accept" !

spin67.jpg

Alot of perfect scores in their, yea I said perfect.

That reallity is hard to accept.

Ristlager

Three norwegian newspapers has also reviewed this game (the three biggest ones), its been given 4 out of 6 and two 5 out of 6, all three complained about the sp game. That it feels outdated compared to Gears and Bioshock. And if it was not for the superb mp, the scores would have been much lower.

Alcander

Campster said:
The joy you people get from someone else's work getting well reviewed really creeps me the hell out.

It's not so much that I care about the numeric values which are getting assigned and how they affect Bungie, but rather the validation that the game which I hope overwhelms my gaming habits for the next year or so is actually good, and not just hype.

Jirotrom

GhaleonEB said:
Good to see the title faring well with reviews. My trust in most mainstream review sites is down quite a bit after the drastic over-rating of Bioshock, but it's still encouraging to see them do well. I assumed a bit of a backlash was in store. The only one I'm really waiting on is Edge. (Also, shame on Ars for pulling what Eurogamer did with Gears of War - they only reviewed the Campaign, not the complete package. Why "review" a fraction of the game?)

Bingo.
Because not everyone buying it will play online... I could see that as their reasoning. Anywho, does anyone get an Unreal Tournament vibe from this game, especially with all the vehicles?

[Nintex]

I'm dissapointed... I wanted this game to get a 8.5 or 8 from Gamespot just to see the uprising and shitstorm. Ah well, there are loads of other games coming this year to fill the void. 9.5 seems the right score for this game.

Gamespot Mass Effect Review: 7/10, Gamespot Nights Review: 4/10 etc.

kottila

Ristlager said:
Three norwegian newspapers has also reviewed this game (the three biggest ones), its been given 4 out of 6 and two 5 out of 6, all three complained about the sp game. That it feels outdated compared to Gears and Bioshock. And if it was not for the superb mp, the scores would have been much lower.

And the biggest gamingsite, www.gamer.no, gives it 9/10

Tieno

Jirotrom said:
Because not everyone buying it will play online... I could see that as their reasoning. Anywho, does anyone get an Unreal Tournament vibe from this game, especially with all the vehicles?
Funny, cause CliffyB admitted to adding vehicles to UT2004 partialy because of Halo.

Jirotrom

Tieno said:
Funny, cause CliffyB admitted to adding vehicles to UT2004 partialy because of Halo.
The two games obviously have borrowed from each other, there is nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying now with all the vehicles it looks so much like UT.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
The House picture just reminded me that Tuesday is even more jammed up than I thought. 45 minutes of play time confirmed. :-\

Tieno

Jirotrom said:
The two games obviously have borrowed from each other, there is nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying now with all the vehicles it looks so much like UT.
No, of course not. I'm the last one to say that taking stuff from other games that works is a bad thing. Just wanted to clear something up.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Separating the two components into separate reviews sounds like a good format for everyone involved. People who are primarily interested in SP get a review that is dedicated squarely to campaign, and those interested in MP get their equivalent later on. And really, you don't think it makes sense to wait with reviewing multiplayer until you can realistically measure it under real life, customer level conditions?
What about all the multi-player aspects that are tied to the single player? I don't think the two are really seperable. The idea is fucking retarded, face it.

TheRipDizz said:
What about all the multi-player aspects that are tied to the single player? I don't think the two are really seperable. The idea is fucking retarded, face it.

unless you don't have online? it's where I'd look if I didn't have a subscription to Live.

for example, I have a freinds who refuses to get on Live despite me continually telling him it's the best thing since the internet.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
watership said:
Nah, they haven't even started yet. Notice the "Bioshock wasn't the masterpiece everyone said it was" threads creeping around? Wait a month :)
Thankfully Halo fans won't be around to defend the game; we'll all be playing the game. :D

the_id

I just saw the gamerdaily review. they only reviewed the single player campaingn :lol :lol :lol

and good god the reviewer had a voice so monotonous i thought he was bored of the game.

traveler

Not Wario
Jirotrom said:

Really? I think both series have established their own unique styles quite well. I'd never mistake a Halo vehicle for a UT vehicle or vice versa, they're too distinctive. (Now, I might mistake some Halo vehicles for Aliens vehicles, but that is another story...)

GhaleonEB

VultureDude said:
unless you don't have online? it's where I'd look if I didn't have a subscription to Live.
Forget that it's a game, for a minute. It doesn't make sense to review only fraction of a product, in general and then slap a score on it. And there's four-player splitscreen for MP, as well, so the issue with online access does not apply. Having seperate sections of the review for each makes sense. It sounds like Ars just didn't have the time they wanted to review the whole game, which is what Eurogamer's reason was, but wanted a review up asap. It's a disservice to those who want the big picture.

I objected to this methodology for Gears, and in that case, I thought Eurogamer over-rated the MP side, so it really is the principle of the thing that bugs me, not the score.

Cubsfan23

Banned
watership said:
Nah, they haven't even started yet. Notice the "Bioshock wasn't the masterpiece everyone said it was" threads creeping around? Wait a month :)

only a vocal minority, Bioshock is as close you can get to being untrollable on GAF

fart

Savant
i was writing this for the quartertothree review, but that thread got closed, maybe because it was TOO EDGY FOR GAF
i kid i kid

What bothers me most is that Bungie still can't tell a story worth a damn. Because it's an established franchise with enormous hype, this is going to be a huge game. Like Metroids and Zeldas, it'll get unswervingly positive reviews from people who wouldn't know narrative from nonsense, people who make sweeping misguided assumptions about the average guy jumping online and having a grand ol' time getting teabagged and called a faggot. And for those average guys and the occasional average girls, whether they play online or not, this single player story will be the face of gaming: as retarded, confusing, and juvenile as ever.
very well put

it's an endemic problem.

at one point, JJ and (the late-ish) Alex S. had to put things together that would keep their self-publishing business going, every other day being kind of a sanford and sons-esque big one, as all their compatriots slowed and crumbled like time lapse fruit flies. post-buyout, it's really just been JJ and millions of dollars indulging his pulpy sci-fi auteur fantasies. meanwhile, above him the xbox leadership team is pushing their corporate deadlines (recall that "deadline" was previously absent from the bungie corporate lexicon, and a byline of their buyout contract was (seriously!) that release deadlines would not be imposed), and below him you've got fat, opportunistic yes-men like the disembodied 40 gallon drum that is Jamie G's fat head, and others who have been similarly spoiled by being social kings of the hill at the most feudal software company in the world.

the old school bungie team was capable of some pretty amazing things when given the appropriate motivation. for a time, halo was the most promising strategy game in production, and looked likely to be groundbreaking in ways that still haven't been introduced to this day in its absence.

and now, what do we get? marathon 5 with marty's million dollar cinematics. great.

watership said:

They'll be buried under the four year long onslaught of posts linking to Saved Films and Forge Content. Seriously, it's only going to get worse for haters. This is the tip of the icefloe of shit they're missing out on.

IT HAS NOT EVEN BEGUN TO START.

Ozorov said:
Gamereactor Sweden : 10/10, 10/10
Gamereactor Denmark : 10/10, 10/10
Gamereactor Norway : 10/10

You forgot Gamereactor Finland, Gamereactor France, Gamereactor Estonia, Gamereactor Ireland and Gamereactor Iceland.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
You forgot Gamereactor Finland, Gamereactor France, Gamereactor Estonia, Gamereactor Ireland and Gamereactor Iceland.

You forgot to force an unfunny picture of Hugh Laurie into your post.

Top Bottom