• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

Alcander

Holy shit, that GT review makes the campaign look so fucking epic... but yes there are a lot of cutscenes shown, so don't watch if you don't want to be spoiled.

giga

I've got an xls up to tally the reviews (including ars)

a4ac5cf6fdd2c51d5f69.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AltogetherAndrews said:
If they're not buyer's guides, then what in the hell is their reason for existence?

Altogether has a point.

I read reviews for guidance, not for entertainment.

I read gaf reviews of reviews for entertainment.

FiRez

Amir0x said:
right, and imo, Halo was a pretty good game but not a GREAT one. Halo 2 made the franchise into something really memorable... because of the online multiplayer.

ok, I disagree with you about H:CE..... but anyway having a good SP is still essential, just look at how many people played H2 on xbox live + xlink/ xbc VS the total sales of the game

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
AltogetherAndrews said:
This is never a certain bet around here, but this is sarcasm, correct?

...no, Resistance had 40 players online.
Perfect Dark Zero, a launch game, had 16 players online with 16 more bots.
The bigger/better PC FPS with multiplayer in mind had 30-40 maps shipped & 32 players online is almost mandatory for them.

Halo 3 is a much more financially backed & hyped than all of them, so just having the same numbers of players & maps as the one on the Xbox is somewhat disappointing...

chase

1up scores might as well be based on GAF hype. 1up 1:1 GAF. It's gone on too long to ignore (getting this on Wednesday ready for instant replay).

FTWer said:
The bigger/better PC FPS with multiplayer in mind had 30-40 maps shipped & 32 players online is almost mandatory for them.

Halo 3 is a much more financially backed & hyped than all of them, so just having the same numbers of players & maps as the one on the Xbox is somewhat disappointing...

Bigger is not always better my friend.

FTWer said:

Holy shit what Pc game shipped with 30 to 40 maps?

FTWer said:

I can't believe I'm the one saying this as I'm a huge fan of massive battles (I petitioned strongly for 64player matches in Warhawk), but player or even map count is not necessarily a measure for success or failure.

AltogetherAndrews said:
If they're not buyer's guides, then what in the hell is their reason for existence?
S to the C to the O R E S. Who the fuck cares if a review is segmented between solo and multiplayer within itself or by some external "this section of the game only" review. Segmenting the two into entire seperate reviews would just create confusion without something overall to reconcile them both. And if you have that, congrats you now have a single review.

Sectus

Tieno said:
Can anyone pull some conclusion quotes from the gametrailers review? (am afraid of spoilers )
The very last sentence mentioned is: "The Chief is no thief."

Doesn't that get your heart pumping, eh?

Zer0

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
He didn't get the memo.

With the exception of Bioshock, name me one first person shooter that has been released since Halo 2 (on consoles) with a better story?

cold winter for example, halo strenght its not his history/narrative or cutscenes also history is just a part of the single player experience a game can have a good history but bad level design,bad Ia,etc etc

FTWer said:

Shooters with more than 30 players are often way too chaotic to be fun. I'd prefer Halo 3 with a 24 player limit, but 16 is not bad at all. Perfect.

Sectus

EverSoTrendy said:
He's probably thinking about Unreal Tournament 2004. I'm not sure about the specific number at all, but the game was absolutely stuffed with maps.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The chief is no thief. The more I say it, the better it sounds. It will be become the mantra of this generation.

So long, nam-mjoho-renge-kjo!

Here is the list, not formatted, without Ars Technica:

1Up 10.00
ComputerVideoGames 9.70
Eurogamer 10.00
Famitsu 9.25
Gamedaily OXM 9.70
Gamepro 10.00
Gamepro Germany 9.00
Gamer2.0 8.80
Gamernode 9.50
Gamespot 9.50
Gamespot Korea 9.70
Gamespy 10.00
Gamesradar 10.00
Gametrailers 9.80
IGN 9.50
Kikizo 9.00
OXM Australia 10.00
OXM Brazil 9.00
OXM Germany 9.30
Pressstartonline 10.00
Pro-G 10.00
SavingProgress 10.00
Teamxbox 9.70
Worthplaying 9.60

Average 96.27%

Anyone know which other reviews besides Ars Technica will be excluded from Gamerankings and Metacritic?

Lakitu

st5fu
Maxwell House said:
Here is the list, not formatted, without Ars Technica:

1Up 10.00
ComputerVideoGames 9.70
Eurogamer 10.00
Famitsu 9.25
Gamedaily OXM 9.70
Gamepro 10.00
Gamepro Germany 9.00
Gamer2.0 8.80
Gamernode 9.50
Gamespot 9.50
Gamespot Korea 9.70
Gamespy 10.00
Gamesradar 10.00
Gametrailers 9.80
IGN 9.50
Kikizo 9.00
OXM Australia 10.00
OXM Brazil 9.00
OXM Germany 9.30
Pressstartonline 10.00
Pro-G 10.00
SavingProgress 10.00
Teamxbox 9.70
Worthplaying 9.60

Average 96.27%

Ars Technica shouldn't count for a number of reasons.

Gowans

Stinkles said:
Altogether has a point.

I read reviews for guidance, not for entertainment.

I read gaf reviews of reviews for entertainment.

Yeah one of my main gripes is the lack of reviews for the shitty stuff (Solitare DLC says hello :D)

Tho its obvious why sites have a to mix interesting and entertainment with guidance to get people to read.

Consolevaina, ZeroPunctuation & SDF will all be viewed with very little interest of the final score.

dfyb

Banned
RiskyChris said:
Shooters with more than 30 players are often way too chaotic to be fun. I'd prefer Halo 3 with a 24 player limit, but 16 is not bad at all. Perfect.
totally depends on the game. games like joint operations, tribes, planetside, and battlefield thrive off the player numbers and are much less fun with smaller numbers. i think halo is tuned for smaller games, but i hate it when people spout crap like "large games aren't as fun" or whatever. for many games, i prefer 12-20 players, but some of my most memorable FPS moments involve very large numbers in other games.

EverSoTrendy said:
The UT games. But at the same time multiplayer is ALL they have...they don't have any campaign maps to create. Even a short singleplayer covers atleast that much ground in terms of pure area.

GhaleonEB

Good to see the title faring well with reviews. My trust in most mainstream review sites is down quite a bit after the drastic over-rating of Bioshock, but it's still encouraging to see them do well. I assumed a bit of a backlash was in store. The only one I'm really waiting on is Edge. (Also, shame on Ars for pulling what Eurogamer did with Gears of War - they only reviewed the Campaign, not the complete package. Why "review" a fraction of the game?)

Lakitu said:
Ars Technica shouldn't count for a number of reasons.
Bingo.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. Amazing scores so far. Can not wait to play this. So happy it lived up to the hype.

A 96.27% would place Halo 3 in 4th at Gamesranking, behind Leged of Zelda: OOT, Soul Calibur (ha!), and Metroid Prime, and ahead of Halo 1, Halo 2, and Bioshock.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Strong point: It associates a block bus sprouting movie beautiful [su] toe [li], until fine material feeling the graphic and the realism which are expressed well the sound which verflows, will become worse the fun of game and the mote play

Absolutely.

Amir0x

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
You must have missed all of the posts where I said mean things about your GotY.

It's GOTY: Fact, it doesn't matter what I think about it. Bioshock doesn't need your approval, but GhaleonEB not turstworthy source CONFIRMED.

7/10? Please. 5/10.

traveler

Not Wario
Has AT given a multiplayer review yet? I think they should count, but the score should be the MP score averaged with the SP score.

Overrating Bioshock? Wha....

Anyway, that's for another time. I gotta pick up Ut2k4 to polish up my skills. Also, 10vs10 would've been great for Halo3 also.

Top Bottom