• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
RiskyChris said:
Shooters with more than 30 players are often way too chaotic to be fun. I'd prefer Halo 3 with a 24 player limit, but 16 is not bad at all. Perfect.

Yeah, smaller number of players is great for the small-medium maps, but there are the larger maps in Halo 2 & 16 players just didn't feel like it was enough.

giga

Updated.

b22f9ddc251497595043.png

xls: http://localhostr.com/files/cf50acf4b82f5fe2e242.xls

dfyb said:
based on what i've seen so far, this could be the first halo game i hold at a score of at least 9. the MP's solid even if it's still pretty dated, forge is a cool, and they seem to have improved the level design in the campaign. PC games have always had level editors and recordable demos you could replay, but i like that h3 is trying to bring these aspects into consoles. forge isn't on par with PC level editors, but it's still flexible enough where cool things will come of it. the replays seem to be a step above the typical recorded demo on PC games.

i obviously need to play it before passing any real judgement though. reviewers praised the crap out of the crappy H2 campaign too, so i'm not quick to trust reviewers this time around either. now i just need to find someone with a 360...

i don't even see how this is possible. unless you enjoy repetitive, anticlimactic, and boring games.
As much as I love Halo, I'd have to agree. There are about 3 levels in Halo2's campaign that I enjoy playing through. The rest annoy me to no end. But Bungie is fully aware, despite the fact that some people really did enjoy H2 campaign, that a lot of people were very unhappy with it. I don't think anyone can honestly think that H3's campaign will be any less fun than H2. You would be a bonehead to to not expect it to be 10 times better.

FiRez said:
sounds about as i expected, not the score but the review itself

it seems that no one cares about developing a good campaign mode these days if the MP is awesome

So the one review that scored the campaign poorly outweighs the others that say the campaign is good to great. Ummm I'm not following you. Now if you can show me some examples in the other reviews that state the campaign is average, but the multiplayer brings it up to 9 + level review scores then I'll agree with your opinion.

skip

Lakitu said:
What kind of idiot puts reveals the ending in his review? Christ almighty...

the ending isn't spoiled by that. maybe "superfluous circumstances involving the ending", but the plot is preserved.

GhaleonEB

Amir0x said:
It's GOTY: Fact, it doesn't matter what I think about it. Bioshock doesn't need your approval, but GhaleonEB not turstworthy source CONFIRMED.

7/10? Please. 5/10.
I don't review games before I've played them. Call me silly.

Lakitu

st5fu
skip said:
the ending isn't spoiled by that. maybe "superfluous circumstances involving the ending", but the plot is preserved.

Oh ok, I didn't read it, I assumed it spoiled the ending or something. My bad, I am the idiot now. :) Sorry Douglas!

Inevitable flood of prepubescent online players sure to hamper your enjoyment of the online modes.
Do they not realize that enemy chat has been taken out of Halo3's multiplayer ranked games? That was second biggest on my wish list for Halo3. 1st on the list was for Bungie to bring back the pistol from HaloCE :D .

watership

I haven't been able to watch the IGN Halo 3 review at all. There player keeps timing out or skipping to the next movie right in the middle of review. Anyone have a direct file uploaded anywhere? Thanks in advance.

watership

mm04 said:
Ars Technica 7.0? Pssshhh I'm waiting for the Anandtech review, myself.

I want the review score for each level. And then I want the review score for each difficulty on that level. Finally, i want a review of the opening menu.

Thanks.

Tieno

Opus Angelorum said:
- Campaign whilst linear has very little backtracking or repetition.

- Every locale is unique and memorable.

- 10 - 15 hour average playtime depending on difficulty.

- The deployable items aren't ground breaking.

- Best enemy AI in the business.

- Visuals are not the best on the system, poor character models.

- Audio trumps the visuals.

more to come...
Late but thanks!

Thomper

Deputy Moonman said:
Go look at how IGN scored Halo3.
three 10's and two 9's.

That's 48/5 = 9.6. Not 9.5. DIRTY POOL!!!!:lol
Either my sarcasm meter is broken, or you are unable to read the 'Not an average'.

hafdogg

Reviews sound great...the Halo series are my most played games of all time. The only thing I am disappointed in is no dedicated servers. I would play Big Team Battle a ton if there was not so much lag. Of course I do not know if this is still true..has anyone heard about 8v8 networking improvements?

fat said:
Inevitable flood of prepubescent online players sure to hamper your enjoyment of the online modes.

Commenting on the future...

Also, 9.5...guess he learned to clear his cache...along with his plate.

Barnolde

Banned
One of the more striking moments of the original Halo was an early level where the player was given the free roam of a giant area and had to search for three separate groups of survivors. It was up to the player to choose which order to find them in, and a handy Warthog made traversing the then-huge environment an awe-inspiring moment. That magic, that feeling of expansiveness, is something that seems bizarrely missing from Halo 3. While the environments are big—bigger than past games in terms of sheer scale—there's a feeling of confinement in many different places. A prime example of this happens during one of the first vehicular levels in the game, where you find yourself coming up from an underground base into the vast desert of Africa on a hot, sunny day. Your Warthog comes roaring out of a tunnel and towards a Covenant encampment then careens towards the open desert... but as you drive towards the background, you fall off an invisible cliff and die well before you reach the rolling hills beyond.

This "illusion" of scale in the absence of actual freedom is something that you'll find in various parts of Halo 3, and it's a disappointment. Scale is one of the things the newest generation of consoles is supposed to do well. The Halo 3 environments that are actually big—such as one particular arena where you'll have to fight two Scarabs in tandem—feel devoid of life: vast, open, empty spaces.

Ars :(

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
:lol :lol

props to gametrailers for being the first review to tell me to do anything possible to pay for a game.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
The joy you people get from someone else's work getting well reviewed really creeps me the hell out.

Odysseus

Banned
Kodiak said:
:lol :lol

props to gametrailers for being the first review to tell me to do anything possible to pay for a game.

they're not the first

why, i can remember an ign xbox review that once suggested mugging an old lady, among other things.

Top Bottom