• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

segarr

shacknews said:
Halo 3 in single-player feels as though Halo 2 did not end in a bizarrely abrupt cliffhanger but rather instructed you to insert Disc 2
Damn that was harsh! So you feel there was no improvements to Halo 2 at all?

Edit- Reading more, this is one of the most negative reviews yet. Giving a score based on this review, it would be a 5. Not even the soundtrack escaped untouched.

segarr said:
Damn that was harsh! So you feel there was no improvements to Halo 2 at all?
No, I didn't feel that way. Read the review, Halo 3 is a great game. That was referring specifically to the single-player design and pacing and environmental aspects of the campaign, but when you add in all the surrounding elements as well as all the different angles you can take in playing that campaign, it's very impressive.

I tried to point out the game's flaws, which I don't think should be glossed over as much as they are by some people, but I also tried to emphasize that they are far outweighed by the game's enormous positives, and the overall package is genuinely excellent.

GhaleonEB

Chris Remo said:
No, I didn't feel that way. Read the review, Halo 3 is a great game. That was referring specifically to the single-player design and pacing and environmental aspects of the campaign, but when you add in all the surrounding elements as well as all the different angles you can take in playing that campaign, it's very impressive.

I tried to point out the game's flaws, which I don't think should be glossed over as much as they are by some people, but I also tried to emphasize that they are far outweighed by the game's enormous positives, and the overall package is genuinely excellent.
In other words, you wrote a balanced and comprehensive review. (Of Campaign, that is, but I won't go there.) I liked your excerpts but am holding off on reading too many more reviews until I've played through it, so I'll circle back to the full thing later. Your writing is usually top notch so I'm looking forward to it.

GhaleonEB said:
In other words, you wrote a balanced and comprehensive review. (Of Campaign, that is, but I won't go there.) I liked your excepts but am holding off on reading too many more until I've played through it. Your writing is usually top notch so I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks! I really tried to avoid spoilers of any kind, so you should be safe, but I understand where you're coming from.

segarr

Also, you mention backtracking as if it's a series staple, but it really is not. You go through some of the same level layouts but you don't really advance to a point, turn around and walk back through what you just played. So which is it?

segarr said:
Also, you mention backtracking as if it's a series staple, but it really is not. You go through some of the same level layouts but you don't really advance to a point, turn around and walk back through what you just played. So which is it?
Both to an extent, in this game.

woodchuck said:
gamespot summarizes the bad:

# Rewinding saved films doesn't work quite like you'd expect it to
# AI-controlled Marines can't drive to save their lives (or yours)
# Inevitable flood of prepubescent online players sure to hamper your enjoyment of the online modes.

what a shitty reason to put as "bad"

I agree, I don't see how you can say it's Halo 3's fault.

It's just how XBL can be...for ANY game.

Bildi

bcn-ron said:
Should I use simpler words for you?
They put three "The Goods" and three "The Bads" on all things they make. They must put things to be happy. And they want to be nice. Don't want to put ass-things. Sometimes ass-thing is true but would make kids angry so no do ass-thing, do other thing.
You missed the point of my post.

My point was to provide an somewhat impartial opinion. As someone who finds Halo mind-numbingly boring, I was making the point that even I find Gerstmann annoying in this review for inserting a non-game related issue as a "bad". In the same way as the Bioshock review.

In any case, Gerstmann is the king of putting things in his reviews to be controversial. If he wanted to comment on the crappy graphics, he would have.

Telling me that he gave Halo fans the score they wanted and to stop complaining shows me you missed the part in my post where I said I don't care for Halo and therefore if anything, would think the score is too high.

GhaleonEB

Chris Remo said:
Thanks! I really tried to avoid spoilers of any kind, so you should be safe, but I understand where you're coming from.
At this point, I'm less avoiding spoilers than trying to approach the game fresh, without coming into it with all the preconceptions I could gather from reading a gaggle of reviews. The scores and exerpts out there tell me what I hoped for - that's it's good - and from there I want to go in and experience it. Then i can go back and read reviews to gain insight from others and see where I agree and disagree. (I read one review end to end - Shoe's 1up review. He clearly ran out of space, having to lump a lot of features into a summary at the end and never once mentioned saved films. But it was better than his Gears of War review, in which he didn't really justify the score.)

traveler

Not Wario
Guys, in all honesty, I seriously think that was a joke. (An honest one, but a joke nonetheless) You don't really think he took off for that do you?

segarr

traveler said:
Guys, in all honesty, I seriously think that was a joke. (An honest one, but a joke nonetheless) You don't really think he took off for that do you?
I really think it's good that all he could think of was that.

Memphis Reigns said:
I don't understand how some of these reviews are putting the graphics and visuals as a negative or calling them "disappointing" or "underachieving". Even if they don't think it's the best looking game out, why go and say its a negative of the game? The graphics are clearly not disappointing or bad in any way.
Yep. I totally agree. Are they expecting holograms to pop out of the television screen? Good grief.

Bildi

traveler said:
I agree it was a (crap) joke and it didn't affect the score.

For my part I was just making the comment that he's a moron.

Helznicht

I tried to point out the game's flaws, which I don't think should be glossed over as much as they are by some people, but I also tried to emphasize that they are far outweighed by the game's enormous positives,

The only problem with the review was you went into great detail on the negatives and into detail on the new additions. BUT, most of your emphasis on the game's positives, just drizzled into the statement "more of the same, and if you like the other halos, you will like this". You could have went into as much detail in the Haloesqe gameplay elements you thought are its "enormous positives". If I knew nothing about the Halo series, I would know exactly what was wrong with it and be guessing at why you thought it great overall.

Sure Haloites might get bored, but, those new to the series would benefit.

Other than that, I thought it was quite good.

segarr

Helznicht said:
The only problem with the review was you went into great detail on the negatives and into detail on the new additions. BUT, most of your emphasis on the game's positives, just drizzled into the statement "more of the same, and if you like the other halos, you will like this". You could have went into as much detail in the Haloesqe gameplay elements you thought are its "enormous positives". If I knew nothing about the Halo series, I would know exactly what was wrong with it and be guessing at why you thought it great overall.
Yes it also seemed like the positives were delivered in an apologist "don't worry it's not ALL bad" manner.

People should be able to rate reviews. You know to even out the bullshit reviews and "good reviews." Half these review writers would be fired.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
This reads like a thread about smart kids in high school complaining that the teacher gave them an A- and took off a few points because of an occasional misspelling or grammatical error and getting all indignant about it.

Which is hilarious both because Halo 3 is going to sell millions regardless of what reviewers say and also because there is absolutely no reason to take what other people think about games you weren't involved in producing so personally.

traveler

Not Wario
EverSoTrendy said:
People should be able to rate reviews. You know to even out the bullshit reviews and "good reviews." Half these review writers would be fired.

That's the equivalent of saying people should rate opinions, which is pretty ridiculous. (Unless you mean reviewing the reviews along the lines of fact checking and actual writing quality.)

Edit: :lol at Campster's description. That's overstating it by a bit, but it is a really apt comparision.

GhaleonEB

Campster said:
This reads like a thread about smart kids in high school complaining that the teacher gave them an A- and took off a few points because of an occasional misspelling or grammatical error and getting all indignant about it.

Which is hilarious both because Halo 3 is going to sell millions regardless of what reviewers say and also because there is absolutely no reason to take what other people think about games you weren't involved in producing so personally.
Actually, just running with your analogy a bit, from the percentages it's like complaing about a friend of yours getting a solid A and not an A+, before you've read his paper and can forumulate an opinion of your own.

Roat

Banned
Why aren't the guys going off at Gamespot's reviewer for that not having a problem with Gamespy's

Cons: wishing you'd pre-ordered a Legendary Edition.

Let me guess, because you can suddenly tell it's a joke there am I right? Just pathetic guys. He gave Zelda an 8.8. Get over it.

Rolf NB

electricpirate said:
BCN-Ron complains more about people complaining about halo 3 reviews than the actual people complaining about said reviews.
I made one post. Unfortunately I had to explain what that post meant to two thick-heads. The feeling of shame is oppressing. And if you're good I'll explain it another time for you.
electricpirate said:
Please, tell us again to calm down over the scores that will be two low. Then tell us how biased egm is some more.
Jeff Gerstmann made a gift to Halo fans by picking easy-to-dismiss weaksauce criticism instead of substantial criticism. BildiHalo fans should be happy that the inevitable three Bads -- there are always three Bads in a Gamespot review! -- did not touch upon story delivery nor the graphics.
Dan Hsu was never capable of evaluating Halo 3. Disagree at your own pace.

edit: see above. Got it now.

KLoNe

Banned
Mmmm, people are giving H3 too high a score. Single player is only about 8 hours long on Normal. Realistically, that's pretty pathetic. Multiplayer should be good though.

traveler said:
That's the equivalent of saying people should rate opinions, which is pretty ridiculous. (Unless you mean reviewing the reviews along the lines of fact checking and actual writing quality.)

Edit: :lol at Campster's description. That's overstating it by a bit, but it is a really apt comparision.

Yeah. that's what I mean. The subject of the review, not the writers opinion but how he explained and came to his conclusion. None of the half assed reviews, like just rating campaign. That's absurd..

traveler

Not Wario
bcn-ron said:
I made one post. Unfortunately I had to explain what that post meant to two thick-heads. The feeling of shame is oppressing. And if you're good I'll explain it another time for you.
Jeff Gerstmann made a gift to Halo fans by picking easy-to-dismiss weaksauce criticism instead of substantial criticism. Bildi should be happy that the inevitable three Bads -- there are always three Bads in a Gamespot review! -- did not touch upon story delivery nor the graphics.

Did you read his review? He makes some of the most critical claims levied at the game yet. Just because he feels the whole package outweighs them and allows the game to reach 10 status doesn't mean he's incapable of fulfilling his job as a reviewer. The score may be personal opinion, but the text comes about as close to an objective evaluation as a subjective piece of writing can be expected to be.

Odysseus

Banned
EverSoTrendy said:

the worst thing that has happened to the internet in the past few years is the opening up of articles to reader commentary. games, sports, whatever.

please, let's not encourage reader interactivity further.

bcn-ron said:
Jeff Gerstmann made a gift to Halo fans by picking easy-to-dismiss weaksauce criticism instead of substantial criticism. BildiHalo fans should be happy that the inevitable three Bads -- there are always three Bads in a Gamespot review! -- did not touch upon story delivery nor the graphics.

edit: see above. Got it now.

In character, flawless delivery, I give this post a 9.2 out of 10.

ant1532

Banned
Damn, searched today for Halo 3 to get it early but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm not going to be able to get it Monday night since I have a really important test Tuesday and I'll barely have time to play this week since I really need to get study for my SAT and do college apps. Ughh!

BojTrek

Banned
I will never buy or play Halo 3... here is my reason...

First-Person Shooters get me sick... which really stinks...

If I play them over 5-10 minutes, I get a migraine and nauseous...

So... that sucks...

I would love to play Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3... but I get sick!

I am so happy for Halo fans and Microsoft that Halo 3 is getting great reviews.

This is going to be a great week for Microsoft, X-Box 360 fans, and Halo 3 junkies... Have fun all, I wish I could join you.

EverSoTrendy said:
Yeah. that's what I mean. The subject of the review, not the writers opinion but how he explained and came to his conclusion. None of the half assed reviews, like just rating campaign. That's absurd..

EverSoTrendy said:
9.7 for gamespot. If they give it 8.9 or 9.0 I won't even bother looking at the review or their site altogether.
What brought forth this sudden change?

Sandman42

I really want to get in on some GAF custom games this time. I never got the chance with Halo 2.

Send an invite to my GT: Zell Rocks if you want to play some Halo 3 on tuesday.

Zozz

Banned
BojTrek said:

So... that sucks...

This is going to be a great week for Microsoft, X-Box 360 fans, and Halo 3 junkies... Have fun all, I wish I could join you.

can't you go to the doctor to get something for this??

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
BojTrek said:

So... that sucks...

Dramamine.

traveler

Not Wario
BojTrek said:

So... that sucks...

Just use third person weapons and vehicles the whole time. :p

In all seriousness, that does suck. I know there are a lot of people out there like that as well. Missing out on one of the best genres is not something I envy.

Wollan

I just read the review by Dan Shu. I could hear the Halo announcer shout 'betrayal' in the back of my head. How can you start off the review by saying which direction the ending goes? Oh well.

BojTrek

Banned
urk said:
Dramamine.

Who knows... it really doesn't bother me much... as long as I get a ton of Third-Person games... like Ninja Gaiden and Resident Evil type games...

Plus with work, wife, kids, and real-life sports... and being tired by 9PM... I would never finish the game.

I will live through you guys and reads your comments and feelings about Halo 3.

X26

Banned
Just read the 1UP review, and while it's overall very positive the context and the score don't seem to match up.

traveler

Not Wario
Wollan said:
I just read the review by Dan Shu. I could hear the Halo announcer shout 'betrayal' in the back of my head. How can you start off the review by saying which direction the ending goes? Oh well.

It's Shoe, and yeah, that part did bug me. (Un)fortunately, I've already had (at least what I think) what he's referring to spoiled for me.

Edit: Shoe always focuses on the criticisms first and foremost. The score is simply there to let you know if they overcame the game or if it surpassed them. He did the same thing with Gears of War.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So the single player is "nine chapters" but is the first chapter like Halo where you get some control tutorials followed by a good half hour of action or like Halo 2 where it's basically a cutscene?

Havok

Mooreberg said:
So the single player is "nine chapters" but is the first chapter like Halo where you get some control tutorials followed by a good half hour of action or like Halo 2 where it's basically a cutscene?

Halo 1-esque. Except better.

MaX_PL

Banned
BojTrek said:

So... that sucks...

well thank you for posting that in the Halo 3 Reviews thread.

guidop

For those that have seen the GameTrailers review does it contain Spoilers?

for some reason Gametrailers reviews always get me hyped for games

traveler

Not Wario
guidop said:
For those that have seen the GameTrailers review does it contain Spoilers?

for some reason Gametrailers reviews always get me hyped for games

Apparently, there's no spoilers, (in terms of story) but the game shows footages and scenarios from near the end of the game. I haven't seen it though, so I can't say for sure.

Proelite

KLoNe said:
Mmmm, people are giving H3 too high a score. Single player is only about 8 hours long on Normal. Realistically, that's pretty pathetic. Multiplayer should be good though.
So you've played it?

Chris Remo said:

Just read the review. Great review.

Wow. Don't read the 1up user reviews if you don't want spoilers. I don't know what I was thinking. I just wanted to see some bitter Sony fanboy tears. ;_;

JB1981

jesus christ, i'm playing halo: ce on legendary. i beat the first level and now i'm on halo and i'm just getting my ass handed to me. any pointers for what to do when the two covenant dropships converge on you at once (this is when you are waiting for reinforcements). I just can't seem to buy myself enough room to pick these guys off. The AI is relentless. My god.

Top Bottom