• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

Mar

bounchfx said:
so people are saying bioshock is better even when halo has all kinds of crazy shit like 4 player co op, metagame, forge, replays, multiplayer, etc?

what the hell?

Bioshock was awesome.. but not 10/10 awesome.

Wait until you've played both and make up your own mind.

GhaleonEB

sleeping_dragon said:
i dont trust those reviews since they might get caught in the hype so i wait until the users on Gaf get the game and review it and guys please be objective and honest about it even though if you are a hardcore fans since constructive criticism only lead to great innovation. :p
Did you read the reviews? 1up didn't shy from criticism, and the snippets I've seen from others didn't as well. Chris Remo's excellent MP review is entirely free from hype, and he backs up his more lofty statements very well.

And just based on the MP portion, I think it's fair to say that constructive criticism was both welcomed and taken into account when Bungie created Halo 3. :p

just wanted to pop in here and say chris remo, that review was excellent.

not trying to boost your ego or anything, but seriously man, you make ign and gamespots reviews look like kindergarten scribbles. its nice to read a review thats so well written and addresses the important bits very intelligently. never read your stuff before, but will be checking out your reviews from now on.

bounchfx said:
so people are saying bioshock is better even when halo has all kinds of crazy shit like 4 player co op, metagame, forge, replays, multiplayer, etc?

what the hell?

I personally wouldn't give Bioshock a 10, but there is something to be said about rating things based on the sum rather than its parts. While to me that game is hardly worth above a 9, I can see why others might disagree (although perhaps not on the universal level that Bioshock has experienced). Objectively though, there is something to be said about the dodgy double standards in games criticism, but that's another debate for another thread.

Gantz

Banned
traveler said:
I'll take 5-10 enemy types that can think over 200 unique monsters that have no discernable A.I whatsoever.

You do realize that trying to argue that Halo 2 had overly repetitive enemies is stupid, right?

Also Bioshock sometimes had guys with different helmets.

lazy developers and the fans who accept them.

bounchfx said:

what the hell?

They're totally different games. People don't automatically prefer games simply based on number of included features.

Dirtbag

AltogetherAndrews said:
I personally wouldn't give Bioshock a 10, but there is something to be said about rating things based on the sum rather than its parts. While to me that game is hardly worth above a 9, I can see why others might disagree. Objectively though, there is something to be said about the dodgy double standards in games criticism, but that's another debate for another thread.

dodgey as compared to what movie critics? at least most (credible) game reviewers are pretty transparent and allow their minor biases to be known for a better understanding of why they may think a certain way.

I mean really, who on this board couldnt name some of Garnett's favorite games.... or Shane's? etc..

traveler

Not Wario
Gantz said:

WTF? Are you seriously arguing that the guys at Bungie are lazy because they didn't feel the need to create more enemies that will ultimately serve the same function one of the other ones does. Name a game with better enemies than Halo. (And I'm aware that there are several out there- I just want an idea of what developer isn't lazy to you.)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AltogetherAndrews said:
I personally wouldn't give Bioshock a 10, but there is something to be said about rating things based on the sum rather than its parts. While to me that game is hardly worth above a 9, I can see why others might disagree (although perhaps not on the universal level that Bioshock has experienced). Objectively though, there is something to be said about the dodgy double standards in games criticism, but that's another debate for another thread.

Meh. Reviews have some objective measures, but it's all subjective in the end. Even the Ars Technica review is fair enough in my book, albeit a really weird qualifier compared to other reviews.

For example, I understand that The Princess Bride is an incredible film, but I don't like it all that much.

Gantz said:
What are you trying to say? Halo 2 had a metric shitton of varying enemy encounters. There's really no way to argue otherwise without just being a jackass like you are doing.

MrDaravon

Stinkles said:
Meh. Reviews have some objective measures, but it's all subjective in the end. Even the Ars Technica review is fair enough in my book, albeit a really weird qualifier compared to other reviews.

For example, I understand that The Princess Bride is an incredible film, but I don't like it all that much.

4ozi6tx.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ramirez said:
Sucks knowing something else might not live up to the hype the way Halo will, huh? Heh. :)

Nah I was just pointing out stupid fanboyism that in the end overshadows the fact that a game might actually be good and not be worth getting into a word-fight just because it's not perfect.

FrankT

bounchfx said:

what the hell?

I see 9 perfect scores out of 25 reviews in the OP for Halo 3. GR has Bioshock down for 22 perfect scores out of 74 reviews. I see no reason why Halo 3 couldn't equal or surpass that number. Of course, I already know they will both be triple A titles.

Gantz

Banned
What are you trying to say? Halo 2 had a metric shitton of varying enemy encounters. There's really no way to argue otherwise without just being a jackass like you are doing.

You're fighting the same enemies over and over in different situations. That's not variety. After a while you have to get bored of killing the same splicers/big daddies and covenant enemies.

Stinkles said:

Most reviews are used as marketing tools to help sell games. Major sites and magazines who write favorable reviews will usually get exclusive content and moneyhats among other things.

MrDaravon

Odysseus said:
inconceivable!

I win grumpy snowman!

Stinkles said:
I like it fine. I just don't get the amazingness. But then I love Dune. Some people are just wired differently.

There's nothing wrong with Dune, unless you're talking about the sci-fi one, which I haven't seen.

Mar

Gantz said:
Most reviews are used as marketing tools to help sell games. Major sites and magazines who write favorable reviews will usually get exclusive content and moneyhats among other things.

tinfoilhat.jpg

Narag

Stinkles said:
I like it fine. I just don't get the amazingness. But then I love Dune. Some people are just wired differently.

God bless you for pointing me to the baliset jam a few months back.

traveler

Not Wario
Gantz said:

You're on an excellent roll in this thread, aren't you? Care to elaborate on your previous post describing Bungie as lazy?

And this is totally unrelated, but aren't you the same guy who called Pixar racist for not having more racial diversity in their movies which consist, for the most part, of non-humans?

Top Bottom