• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

Havok

guidop said:
For those that have seen the GameTrailers review does it contain Spoilers?

for some reason Gametrailers reviews always get me hyped for games

It contains snippets of cutscenes and environments that I sure wouldn't advise seeing before release.

traveler said:
Apparently, there's no spoilers, (in terms of story) but the game shows footages and scenarios from near the end of the game. I haven't seen it though, so I can't say for sure.

It can also be said that the cut-scene they show you have already seen something similar in the trailers.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
guidop said:
For those that have seen the GameTrailers review does it contain Spoilers?

for some reason Gametrailers reviews always get me hyped for games
Not spoilers as such, but there's quite a lot of SP action so I can't say if what they show ruins the game or not.

giga

JB1981 said:
jesus christ, i'm playing halo: ce on legendary. i beat the first level and now i'm on halo and i'm just getting my ass handed to me. any pointers for what to do when the two covenant dropships converge on you at once (this is when you are waiting for reinforcements). I just can't seem to buy myself enough room to pick these guys off. The AI is relentless. My god.
Cover cover cover. Lob a grenade. Cover. Shoot a few rounds. Cover.

giga said:

Right on... I am not a fan of sticky cover, ala Gears... etc. In my opinion i think the classic run behind, or couch behind objects makes a game flow better.

FightyF

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Eh, should I quote my own post for you now? Don't you actually just now pretend to have read it?

Fun Fact: Sometimes I don't read posts, but reply to them anyways.

j/k

Seriously though, I think he should have stuck with 2 "bads". Or, if he didn't like the graphics, he should have noted it. Either way, it wasn't a good decision. I don't think they should get rid of JeffyG, I think it was a weak move. We all make mistakes so IMO it's all good.

traveler

Not Wario
jiangjunizzy said:
how is that even possible

edit: that youre hyped, i mean

Microsoft bought the Halo fanbase amirite?
The marketing and hype for this game have been pretty ridiculous. It's not that much of a stretch.

Multiplayer review is up. Hint: it's fucking amazing.

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=594

As a studio, even back before the release of the first Halo (raise your hands if you remember those ancient times), Bungie has always taken pride in delivering unique and creative multiplayer modes, and its blockbuster Xbox series continued that trend. Halo became a split-screen staple among friendly gaming groups, then Halo 2 provided Xbox Live's true raison d'etre, with a brilliantly simple party system, scads of customizability options, and some of the best stat tracking web integration of any game to date.
At the core of the multiplayer experience is a better-than-ever party system. Now, you can access any part of Halo 3 from its party screen. After inviting your Xbox Live friends into a Halo 2-style lobby, you can launch any aspect of the game that allows multiple people--and, impressively, that really is any aspect of the game.
PC gamers might scoff at the level editor, citing the PC platform's unique ability for users to create brand-new environments. True, Halo 3 does not offer anything nearly on that scale, but in limiting the extent of player customizability Bungie has offered something that is quite different and arguably much more fitting to Halo. More than anything else, the combination of Forge and the extensive gametype editor encourages players to create truly unique and new gametypes.
As a testament to the flexibility of the editors, Race, a Halo 1 gametype that was skipped for Halo 2 and remains absent for Halo 3, can actually be fairly competently recreated in Halo 3 simply by modifying the VIP gametype. As one of the few Race fans, color me impressed.
And the game itself? As much as I enjoyed Halo 2's multiplayer, largely for its Live implementation, I found the actual balance and flow not up to the standards of the first game. My complaints have been utterly demolished by Halo 3, which to me takes the best parts of Halo--the single-weapon, grenade-heavy gameplay, as well as the bizarre gametypes--and puts them back into the spotlight. Bungie also continues to improve and expand upon series multiplayer fundamentals, adding asymmetric maps and gametypes, bringing the total number of grenade types up to a wonderful four, scaling back the effectiveness of arguably overpowered weapons like the Energy Sword, and other such improvements.

Walshicus

zoku88 said:
Wow, Ars Technica really pounded Halo 3 score-wise. Not surprising, since they were prolly comparing it to all of the PC shooters in their minds. Not very fair ;)

I kid

or am I?

No, Frank Conron doesn't seem to like shooters full stop. Read some of his Opposable Thumbs stuff he's done, I don't think he hides it.

Sean

Banned
jet1911 said:
Yeah it was awesome in the beta. :D

The needler was excellent in the beta.

And the best part about it? No one ever bothered even trying it! Sure was nice being able to grab it every time I wanted. :lol

JB1981

giga said:
i can't find much cover in the open grass. and if you sit too long in cover these guys just come after you. i swear i've never seen AI like this. The Elites are just LETHAL

The Sphinx said:
Your reviews for Halo are the best (written, reasoned) on the web.
Thanks man! I really tried to address the single-player pitfalls that a lot of people seem to gloss over (in a year with shooters like BioShock, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, and others, I don't think that's fair), but the multiplayer is pretty much above reproach.

Walshicus

Amir0x said:
[Bioshock is] GOTY: Fact, it doesn't matter what I think about it. Bioshock doesn't need your approval, but GhaleonEB not turstworthy source CONFIRMED.

7/10? Please. 5/10.

I've been thinking about that lately, and I can't help but think that whilst it certainly is the strongest contender for the most enjoyably entertaining piece of media I've experienced this year... it's pretty poor as a game. I mean there really wasn't much fun to extract from the mechanics of the title, but rather I played because I wanted more and more of the story.

What I mean to say is that were Bioshock a movie or a novel rather than a game, I doubt I'd complain.

Mar

BojTrek said:
I will never buy or play Halo 3... here is my reason...

First-Person Shooters get me sick... which really stinks...

If I play them over 5-10 minutes, I get a migraine and nauseous...

So... that sucks...

I would love to play Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3... but I get sick!

I am so happy for Halo fans and Microsoft that Halo 3 is getting great reviews.

This is going to be a great week for Microsoft, X-Box 360 fans, and Halo 3 junkies... Have fun all, I wish I could join you.

All FPS games? Do you have a problem with PC FPS games? Because I used to get motion sickness playing 360 FPS games too, even though I'd played PC FPS games for probably a decade. I figured out if I moved just a bit further away from the TV, I didn't have a problem anymore. It must be something with the refresh rate and size of the screen.

Mar_ said:
All FPS games? Do you have a problem with PC FPS games? Because I used to get motion sickness playing 360 FPS games too, even though I'd played PC FPS games for probably a decade. I figured out if I moved just a bit further away from the TV, I didn't have a problem anymore. It must be something with the refresh rate and size of the screen.
I imagine it's due to the low field of view that the Halo series uses compared to traditional PC FPS games. It's never had a physical impact on me, but I know some people who get headaches or motion sickness from it.

traveler

Not Wario
Sir Fragula said:
I've been thinking about that lately, and I can't help but think that whilst it certainly is the strongest contender for the most enjoyably entertaining piece of media I've experienced this year... it's pretty poor as a game. I mean there really wasn't much fun to extract from the mechanics of the title, but rather I played because I wanted more and more of the story.

What I mean to say is that were Bioshock a movie or a novel rather than a game, I doubt I'd complain.

Was I the only one who LOVED Bioshock's gameplay? I keep seeing more and more "Game was overrated" or "Game was really lacking in x area" threads/posts about the game every day now. All I know is that I had a blast throwing decoys in front of trip wires, shooting my own Security Bots with Prox. Mines and having them go kamikazee, igniting an entire enviroment and then throwing pieces of it about, stealth killing with that awesome tonic, etc. In fact, I feel like going to play the game right now.

HolyStar

Banned
Amazing, not one place gave this less than a 9.0. This game IS GOTY. BELIEVE
COD4 be damned.

Did you not see the AT review or are you choosing to ignore it?

Ignoring it. I am playing on Heroic campaign first, then multiplayer, then go back to play co-op. I just think they gave it a 7.0 to lower the score and cause controversy.

traveler

Not Wario
Oooh, GI review!

HolyStar said:
Amazing, not one place gave this less than a 9.0. This game IS GOTY. BELIEVE
COD4 be damned.

Mar

Chris Remo said:
Thanks man! I really tried to address the single-player pitfalls that a lot of people seem to gloss over (in a year with shooters like BioShock, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, and others, I don't think that's fair), but the multiplayer is pretty much above reproach.

Your reviews are the best I've read outside an Edge magazine. And pretty much the only online reviews I read from beginning word to end.

Havok

traveler said:
Oooh, GI review!

Seeing as Gears got a 9 there (different reviewer, so its to be expected) and then "Oh btw Halo 3 is a 7", yeah, ignoring it. Besides the fact that its only a partial review, which I don't even understand. I'm buying the whole game, not half of it, why should they be scored individually?

giga

Jtyettis said:
Sweet.

be6f59bb603e6721bc9d.png

i dont trust those reviews since they might get caught in the hype so i wait until the users on Gaf get the game and review it and guys please be objective and honest about it even though if you are a hardcore fans since constructive criticism only lead to great innovation. :p

Mojovonio

Banned
sleeping_dragon said:
i dont trust those reviews since they might get caught in the hype so i wait until the users on Gaf get the game and review it and guys please be objective and honest about it even though if you are a hardcore fans since constructive criticism only lead to great innovation. :p

:lol

Dirtbag

sleeping_dragon said:

That's a two-way street, don't forget that.

Wollan

More reviews. The largest Norwegian newspapers, Dagbladet & VG, gave both the game a 5 out of 6 (represented by a dice. The same reviewers gave Halo 2 sixes). They seem to emphasis the same points, singleplayer is good (samey gameplay, lacks emotion), multiplayer/forge/file sharing is awesome (a new standard).

sleeping_dragon said:

lollers.

sleeping_dragon said:

mc_beer_2.gif

bounchfx

so people are saying bioshock is better even when halo has all kinds of crazy shit like 4 player co op, metagame, forge, replays, multiplayer, etc?

what the hell?

Bioshock was awesome.. but not 10/10 awesome.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
bounchfx said:
so people are saying bioshock is better even when halo has all kinds of crazy shit like 4 player co op, metagame, forge, replays, multiplayer, etc?

what the hell?

Bioshock was awesome.. but not 10/10 awesome.

Lots of people loved Bioshock. What's so hard about that? Apples and oranges.

Top Bottom