• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

Gantz

Banned
traveler said:
You're on an excellent roll in this thread, aren't you? Care to elaborate on your previous post describing Bungie as lazy?

And this is totally unrelated, but aren't you the same guy who called Pixar racist for not having more racial diversity in their movies which consist, for the most part, of non-humans?

If you read the last few pages I talked about the "shitton" (or lack thereof) of enemy types in Bioshock and Halo. Bungie covered up their repetitive level designs with shorter uninspiring levels.

Last I checked animals, toys, and cars aren't races. The Incredibles featured an all white cast and a token black character.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Please note that I picked Princess Bride as an example because it's something that's definitively awesome. Burning pitchfork mens.

traveler

Not Wario
Gantz said:
If you read the last few pages I talked about the "shitton" (or lack thereof) of enemy types in Bioshock and Halo.

Last I checked animals, toys, and cars aren't races. The Incredibles featured an all white cast and a token black character.

And I asked for an example of a game with better enemies than Halo. (I also said that I know there are several games I can think of off the top of my head that do have better enemies; I'm just posing this question to try and get a feel for what you consider "good" enemy design, A.I., and variety) Just because they don't feel the need to create redundant enemies doesn't make them lazy by any stretch of the imagination. I mean, you've got the cannon fodder Grunts, sniping Jackals, supremely intelligent and ferocious melee attacker Brutes, heavily armored and extremely powerful Hunters, flying and sporadic Drones, swarming Flood, and all the variants (flying, cloaked, extra armor, etc.) of the above. And that's not even including the Sentinels or vehicles.

I don't even want to start this idiotic argument up again. Just making sure I was dealing with the same brilliant mind.

Odysseus

Banned
Stinkles said:
Please note that I picked Princess Bride as an example because it's something that's definitively awesome. Burning pitchfork mens.

doesn't matter. you practically gave it an 8.8 and you're lucky no one has called you fat.

Darkpen

Banned
I'm assuming someone already posted about gametrailer's video review (which is available in HD).

I'm downloading it now, and damn, its freaking 255 mb.

Nick

Stinkles said:
Are you still hot, or what? I remember you being moderately hot.

nitewulf

Nick said:
Are you still hot, or what? I remember you being moderately hot.
mc_beer_2.gif

Hunter D

●Eurogamer: 10/10
--And yet, hype machine aside, cutting through the crap about console wars and the like, what we find in Halo 3 is quite simply this - the best game yet in one of the best FPS franchises of the era. Better than either of its predecessors, Halo 3 still can't quite escape the category of flawed masterpiece - but this time around, the flaws are so minor that even the most churlish of reviewers would be hard pressed to mark the game down.
--Full review
--Reviewer: Rob Fahey
chuckworkinghard2.jpg

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games/finishing-the-fight-a-review-of-halo-3.ars/4
Rampagecantbelieve.gif

Wandycantbelieve.gif

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Holy fucking awesome scores.

Congrats, Bungie! Can't wait to play it this week.

traveler

Not Wario
Absinthe said:
So Dan Hsu gave Halo 3 a perfect score? There's a shocker.

Plez read the review before you make these types of comments, k? (FYI, he was harsher on it than just about everyone else excluding Ars out there, despite his score.)

Edit: You didn't get it early Che? I think I'd quit.

ant1532

Banned
Oh yeah, so what is the rank going to cap at this time around? 50 again? I remember my friend got sort of close hitting 40 in Halo 2. I stopped playing in the mid 20's. Oh god. Memories of TS and DT matchmaking are coming back from Halo 2. I don't wanna get carried away this time. Why does it have to be soooo good? Why?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
traveler said:
Plez read the review before you make these types of comments, k? (FYI, he was harsher on it than just about everyone else excluding Ars out there, despite his score.)

All I got to play was the Epsilon Beta, which was awesome fun times with just 1 level -- especially on legendary.

Also, I can't wait to start watching saved replays and the inevitable Halo 3 photo mode thread!

Absinthe said:
So Dan Hsu gave Halo 3 a perfect score? There's a shocker.

Yeah he really jumped from the crowd, what a rebel. Giving the game a perfect score when faced with such dissenting opinions!

Havok

ant1532 said:
Oh yeah, so what is the rank going to cap at this time around? 50 again? I remember my friend got sort of close hitting 40 in Halo 2. I stopped playing in the mid 20's. Oh god. Memories of TS and DT matchmaking are coming back from Halo 2. I don't wanna get carried away this time. Why does it have to be soooo good? Why?

I remember from the Beta that the only reason I gave a shit about my numerical rankings was that the higher they were the faster I could get to my next military ranking. That shit was addictive as hell.

omg 28 hours.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BTW, probably pretty obvious by now, but nobody is getting banned for playing H3 online at this point.

Eric WK

ant1532 said:

The Beta was 50 and I doubt it's changed since then.

ant1532

Banned
Eric WK said:
The Beta was 50 and I doubt it's changed since then.
Yeah, I guess that is a pretty solid number. Is there anywhere you can view what the level icons look like on Bungie.net or something?

MrDaravon

Havok said:
I remember from the Beta that the only reason I gave a shit about my numerical rankings was that the higher they were the faster I could get to my next military ranking. That shit was addictive as hell.

omg 28 hours.

I agree, having a military ranking was a cool visual representation, liked it much better than just the numbers. I also liked that you could go up grades. I forget exactly how it worked, but even if you weren't quite good enough to make it up higher, you could still go up grades (like Captain Grade 2, Grade 3, Grade 4). I know I'm not good enough to get near the top at all, I'm just hoping it's not too hard to unlock all the armors.

traveler said:
That, or the reviewers are simply blinded by teh HD.

Or blinded by the Bling Bling they can now afford.

I can just see the GS guys on their next On the Spot with all the bling in there. Or the next 1up show.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
ant1532 said:
Yeah, I guess that is a pretty solid number. Is there anywhere you can view what the level icons look like on Bungie.net or something?

afaik they aren't doing level icons like they did in halo 2 :tear

just the number and the rank this time around

ant1532

Banned
DopeyFish said:
afaik they aren't doing level icons like they did in halo 2 :tear

just the number and the rank this time around
:(

They got so cool high up. Ah well, I guess the helmets and shit will replace that for something to show off.

Eric WK

ant1532 said:
:(

They got so cool high up. Ah well, I guess the helmets and shit will replace that for something to show off.

There are icons for your military rank which takes both your rank and experience into account.

Gantz said:
If you read the last few pages I talked about the "shitton" (or lack thereof) of enemy types in Bioshock and Halo. Bungie covered up their repetitive level designs with shorter uninspiring levels.

I can't believe I'm responding to this, but there's what, 10 different kinds of enemies in H2, each with several different weapons, the ability to use several different vehicles, a couple of unique abilities, and a few complete rearrangements of enemy groupings throughout the game.

Encounter variety was not one of Halo 2's problems.

Evlar

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
I can't believe I'm responding to this, but there's what, 10 different kinds of enemies in H2, each with several different weapons, the ability to use several different vehicles, a couple of unique abilities, and a few complete rearrangements of enemy groupings throughout the game.

Encounter variety was not one of Halo 2's problems.
I'd say encounter variety WAS a problem, particularly on the Arbiter's missions. There were times when you would fight the same set of enemies in similar numbers in similar rooms back to back to back. But that has less to do with different enemy types (which are adequate in the Halo games) and more to do with bad level design and over-reliance on the standard "fight guns blazing through swarms of enemies from point A to point B" structure.

traveler said:

I did read it. The fact that he was "harsher" is completely irrelevant because he still awarded it a perfect score. EGM has always been in bed with Bungie and only a complete and utter fool would have bet against him giving a perfect score.

Shinraven

I picked up 2 copies yesterday. 1 for me, 1 for my boy.

We each played solo for a while, then this morning co-0p. we both bashed the game...hard.

cuz some of the graphics are a bit....subpar. ie the textures on the marines and there are some jaggies to be found.

Then we decided to play some co-op, jacked the difficulty to hero. we really got into it.

we are about half way now. the game has some wow moments and some Wtf were they thinking...could they not have have updated the cut scenes using Hi rez models. ( like seriously at times this looks like halo2 in high rez )

then the game jumps back to 360 goodness. Now mind you we both are playing the game On hd System. I am on a pioneer plasma ( 720p native Hdmi x360 ) and my boy is on a westinghouse 42" lcd 1080p. yes some jaggies still remain.

I dont think I am following what is going on but once the action gets going, you get into it.

great story, tons of great shader effects, def smooth gameplay set up, lobby system.

Are we impressed ??? no. we both just feel like halo 3 is using the same engine for both single player and MP. It feels like the devs devoted 75% of their time on MP then tossed in some single campaign.

The game is fun. its no damm 9.7 I duno wtf teamxbox is smoking. At best it's an 8. Graphics that is.

I just cant forgive the low rez models sorry there is no excuse for that s#it ! now we still havnt finished playing the game. with all lthe hype and hi rez shots they showed before and the hope that this beta Mp was going to look better. we both cant help but be a bit disappointed.

its very odd, how some levels look so OMG this is gorgeous !!! then back to crappy cut scenes with low rez model. unreal !!

overall. so far 8/10. Yes buy it if you love MP halo.

for us , call of duty 4 will be where it's at this year.

derder

Shinraven said:

We each played solo for a while, then this morning co-0p. we both bashed the game...hard.

cuz some of the graphics are a bit....subpar. ie the textures on the marines and there are some jaggies to be found.

Then we decided to play some co-op, jacked the difficulty to hero. we really got into it.

we are about half way now. the game has some wow moments and some Wtf were they thinking...could they not have have updated the cut scenes using Hi rez models. ( like seriously at times this looks like halo2 in high rez )

then the game jumps back to 360 goodness. Now mind you we both are playing the game On hd System. I am on a pioneer plasma ( 720p native Hdmi x360 ) and my boy is on a westinghouse 42" lcd 1080p. yes some jaggies still remain.

I dont think I am following what is going on but once the action gets going, you get into it.

great story, tons of great shader effects, def smooth gameplay set up, lobby system.

Are we impressed ??? no. we both just feel like halo 3 is using the same engine for both single player and MP. It feels like the devs devoted 75% of their time on MP then tossed in some single campaign.

The game is fun. its no damm 9.7 I duno wtf teamxbox is smoking. At best it's an 8. Graphics that is.

I just cant forgive the low rez models sorry there is no excuse for that s#it ! now we still havnt finished playing the game. with all lthe hype and hi rez shots they showed before and the hope that this beta Mp was going to look better. we both cant help but be a bit disappointed.

its very odd, how some levels look so OMG this is gorgeous !!! then back to crappy cut scenes with low rez model. unreal !!

I really don't know what you're comparing the graphics to. I doubt anything like forge could be done with Gears of War graphics, let alone 16 players. I think they're perfect from what I've seen. Call of Duty 4 is a more rewarding MP game, I'd have to say.

Absinthe said:
I did read it. The fact that he was "harsher" is completely irrelevant because he still awarded it a perfect score. EGM has always been in bed with Bungie and only a complete and utter fool would have bet against him giving a perfect score.

well 4 other sites so far have given it a 10 as well.. guess they are in bed with bungie too.. what is this world coming to?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Shinraven said:
I am a graphics whore

So throughout all of that playing, throughout all of the mindless co-op moments and frantic battles... All you thought about was "damn MC looked like halo 2 right thur dis game suks"?

k

timmy

Absinthe said:
That's neogaf in a fucking nutshell right there. Who cares about the silly words? All that matters is the number!

I'm getting this game tommorow at midnight, but I can't help but feel a lack of excitement because I won't be playing it online and I only have one 360 controller.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Shinraven said:

gotta be one of the worst posts I've seen in a while.

I'm sick of graphics whores, since when did games just become all about graphics and new benchmarks instead of just awesome gameplay?

beerbelly

Banned
I finished it on Normal with my brother today. I definately give it a 10/10. Just some advice, play this game with GOOD SPEAKERS. And PLAY LOUUUUUD WITH BASS.

You will love it when you fight the Scarab(s). Great thumping beats (from the music) that pumps your adrenaline.

Blackface

Banned
Absinthe said:

Tools like you are the reason some publications can't put up honest reviews.

Top Bottom