• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Halo 3 Thread of Review Scores

Odysseus said:
not that i would know or care, since i ran it on a 9800 and, most importantly, i don't dwell on that sort of thing. it didn't seem altogether different from my xbox experience, and that's all that mattered to me.

it was a totally different experience because of two things

split-screen co-op and splitscreen multiplayer...

bigswords

Honestly Halo 3 is a big deal as it will be the start of "you tube" Machina stuff (ability to edit your video clips and the ability to share screen shots and videos on Bungie net). All multiplayer games should have these abilities (especially for those who play at high level competitive play). I'm seriously impressed with just this feature.

Odysseus

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
it was a totally different experience because of two things

split-screen co-op and splitscreen multiplayer...

actually, it was a totally different experience because of one thing...

actual online play.

which is basically why i bought it, because splitscreen multiplayer was an extremely rare opportunity.

bigswords

Odysseus said:
not that i would know or care, since i ran it on a 9800 and, most importantly, i don't dwell on that sort of thing. it didn't seem altogether different from my xbox experience, and that's all that mattered to me.

I dunno no co-op, plus the fact that it ran like ass compared to Far Cry which looked so much better then Halo PC.

Edit: oops beaten

Timedog said:
My faith in humanity is lost. Look at the fucking lighting in that!? Halo 2 HD????

I know what you mean mate, i dont even have to watch that video to know that people who say halo2 hd havent got a fucking clue. Going back to halo2 mp after halo3 beta was an eye opener what happend to the textures why does this look so shit where my first words. People always do this they look back on games of years gone by with goggles its not until you go back and look at them again you see the huge differences.

Aleman

bigswords said:
I dunno no co-op, plus the fact that it ran like ass compared to Far Cry which looked so much better then Halo PC.

Yea I can't imagine Halo without co-op. It's why I love the game so much and why I was so pissed that Halo 2 didn't have online co-op.

Odysseus

Banned
bigswords said:

i look for different things. co-op isn't a draw, for one. i played a couple of levels of halo with a friend of mine on heroic. he spent more time shooting me than the elites. plus, the two of us, when he actually shot the opposing side, tore through the covenant like a hot knife through butter. meh. not that it wasn't fun, but it wasn't my idea of halo.

them against me, army of one. that's what halo is to me.

and really, i could not care less the way halo looks versus any other game. graphics are not important.

supermackem said:
I know what you mean mate, i dont even have to watch that video to know that people who say halo2 hd havent got a fucking clue. Going back to halo2 mp after halo3 beta was an eye opener what happend to the textures why does this look so shit where my first words. People always do this they look back on games of years gone by with goggles its not until you go back and look at them again you see the huge differences.
I've been watching the RvB things today and really, Halo 2 is fucking gorgeous. I can see why someone would think it's Halo 2 HD (As fucking stupid a catchphrase as that is), but I can't fathom why someone would say that as a bad thing.

It's like RE5 and it's ripping off RE4. Goddamn, mimicking the best game in a couple years? Pass.

bigswords

Odysseus said:
i look for different things. co-op isn't a draw, for one. i played a couple of levels of halo with a friend of mine on heroic. he spent more time shooting me than the elites. plus, the two of us, when he actually shot the opposing side, tore through the covenant like a hot knife through butter. meh. not that it wasn't fun, but it wasn't my idea of halo.

them against me, army of one. that's what halo is to me.

and really, i could not care less the way halo looks versus any other game. graphics are not important.

I dunno for me Halo's real draw for me was the co-op, it was one of the few fps co-op which was good (Halo combat was pretty cool).

You need new friends, and must play the game on co-op legendary, that's where the real experience was.

Odysseus

Banned
bigswords said:
I dunno for me Halo's real draw for me was the co-op, it was one of the few fps co-op which was good (Halo combat was pretty cool).

You need new friends, and must play the game on co-op legendary, that's where the real experience was.

i'll keep my friends and play halo the way i want to play it, thank you.

Odysseus

Banned
bigswords said:
Then your experience to games will be limited, sad to say.

i appreciate your concern but feel it would be more useful poured out on that brick wall over there. really, i love halo just fine.

Proelite

To haterz,
5997_Full.jpg

<3 Bungie.

"Running out of things to complain about?"
4677_Full.jpg

"I guess so"
6703_Full.jpg

3715-Full.jpg

842_Full.jpg

Odysseus

Banned
Docpan said:
Ars Technica finds that picture unfunny.

they aren't the only ones.

i have a coworker that finds humor in nothing other than sex or bowel functions. believe me, it got incredibly old a long, looooooooooooong time ago.

After reading and watching a bunch of Halo 3's reviews I've come to the conclusion that the review scores are utterly hyperbolic in relation to the text/video of the reviews, unfortunately that's no surprise.

I don't doubt that Halo 3 is a decent game but I definitely do question what the more important motivator for review sites is; opportunity or opinion?

mood

Rick Dickland said:
After reading and watching a bunch of Halo 3's reviews I've come to the conclusion that the review scores are utterly hyperbolic in relation to the text/video of the reviews, unfortunately that's no surprise.

I don't doubt that Halo 3 is a decent game but I definitely do question what the more important motivator for review sites is; opportunity or opinion?

:lol :lol

GhaleonEB

Rick Dickland said:

What does that mean? Serious question.

mood

Rick Dickland said:

Look your question would make more sense if it was a few sites giving the game perfect scores, but Id say the consensus is definitely that the game is awesome. In fact, I question the motivation of sites that give the game LOW scores. But its not really a big deal.

Proelite

Rick Dickland said:

Microsoft pays for the scores, but not the contents of the reviews itself. It's pretty simple. Any journalist who gives constantly good scores gets hired, like Che and Luke.

Rick Dickland said:

You've cracked it!

They have all been paid off.

mood said:
Look your question would make more sense if it was a few sites giving the game perfect scores, but Id say the consensus is definitely that the game is awesome. In fact, I question the motivation of sites that give the game LOW scores. But its not really a big deal.

Nah, my question makes more sense because it's the major ad-pushing sites that are giving it godlike scores.

Proelite

He would have made some sense
not really
if Gametrailers didn't give halo 3 a 9.8. For gametrailers, anything above 9.1 is rare as hell. 9.8 only meant that halo 3 is serious.

GhaleonEB

Rick Dickland said:
It means that reviewers went like this: "The game is pretty good but I'm going to score it as nearly perfect". Serious answer.
Could you cite examples to support the statement?

mood

Rick Dickland said:
Nah, my question makes more sense because it's the major ad-pushing sites that are giving it godlike scores.

So what exactly is it that you wanted to discuss about your little conspiracy theory?

Proelite said:
He would have made some sense
not really
if Gametrailers didn't give halo 3 a 9.8. For gametrailers, anything above 9.1 is rare as hell. 9.8 only meant that halo 3 is serious.

Ok, yup, you got me there. Good point.

GreekWolf

Rick Dickland said:
Nah, it really doesn't. Eurogamer has always been (in)famous for being unfairly harsh in the majority of their reviews, yet they gave the game a perfect score, and even questioned the credibility of other reviewers who attempt to find something to nitpick.

Son of Godzilla said:
Seriously guys, the ignore button is there for a reason. At least stop quoting him dammit.

Dude, come on. We're just discussing game reviews. In fact there haven't even been any insults... yet.

GhaleonEB

Rick Dickland said:
Dude, come on. We're just discussing game reviews. In fact there haven't even been any insults... yet.
You still haven't supported your statement with examples. I've read a couple of the reviews now, but haven't seen the disconnect you are talking about.

GreekWolf said:
Nah, it really doesn't. Eurogamer has always been (in)famous for being unfairly harsh in the majority of their reviews, yet they gave the game a perfect score, and even questioned the credibility of other reviewers who attempt to find something to nitpick.

So you're saying Eurogamer isn't a major ad-pusher? Ok, sure.

GhaleonEB

Rick Dickland said:
Did you have the same objection of Bioshock's review scores, or Twilight Princess, or any other major game that got universally good scores? Or is this a standard you are only applying to Halo 3?

And are there any major media sites that are not ad-driven? Isn't the entire media model built on advertising revenue?

mood

Rick Dickland said:
It's not a conspiracy theory as much as it is an ethical question.

Thank you for stating the obvious. So what leads you to believe almost every website is breaking ethical conventions to appease their advertisers? Do As Ghaleon has asked.

Proelite said:
Stop quoting him.

yeah :\

Top Bottom