• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

UnrealEck

Cheers. Checked earlier and saw that it hadn't gone up, but just got one now. Didn't manage to get a shifter because none of the local stores had it for pickup and home delivery wasn't available.

I'll probably pick that up at a later time.

Weird that delivery wasn't available. I got free next day on the combo. Are you maybe living in a more remote area?

So the force feedback on this wheel isn't just a rumble like a controller, right? It's actually giving resistance to the turning to simulate the weight of the car, the tyres, the terrain and so on. I thought it was just rumble.

Mrbob

Looks like it'll take at least 3-4 weeks until Assetto Corsa will have Rift CV1 support.

https://twitter.com/KunosStefano/status/713607347072057344

"Not even considering" Vive support :/
Lol, this is what will kill vr on PC. Exclusive headset games give me a break. I play on PC not to deal with console issues.

Ironically this may push me into PlayStation VR if I buy a headset. At least I know games released on ps4 will work with vr versus spending 600 to 800 on a headset and hoping a game supports it.

viveks86

Man, there is gonna be so much content coming out tomorrow. Games, reviews, benchmarks, threads... There will be excitement. There will be meltdowns.

And I've got so much work lined up! :'(

Fret

Man, there is gonna be so much content coming out tomorrow. Games, reviews, benchmarks, threads... There will be excitement. There will be meltdowns.

And I've got so much work lined up! :'(

I've got the day off so I can be here to sign for my Rift. I'll drop some info and reactions, but I can't promise to come out of my VR coma too often once I'm in there.

It means I won't be able to take all of E3 off, but I don't really care.

Heck there's a slim chance I'll have it before Oculus launch the software. My window is 12:15 PM to 4:15 PM and speculation is that the software will drop at the same time as the embargo ends.

viveks86

I've got the day off so I can be here to sign for my Rift. I'll drop some info and reactions, but I can't promise to come out of my VR coma too often once I'm in there.

It means I won't be able to take all of E3 off, but I don't really care.

Heck there's a slim chance I'll have it before Oculus launch the software. My window is 12:15 PM to 4:15 PM and speculation is that the software will drop at the same time as the embargo ends.

Awesome! Do remember the rest of us plebs who won't get our hands on anything for days or weeks and drop a few words here :)

Walpurgis

Banned
Question about PSVR

If 60 FPS games can be converted to 120 FPS using that external box, then can all 60 FPS games on PS4 handle PSVR? Like is the frame rate the only significant cost or is there a significant additional cost due to the two screens, 3D sound and motion?

I want to know which games that I can imagine having VR.

Zalusithix

Question about PSVR

If 60 FPS games can be converted to 120 FPS using that external box, then can all 60 FPS games on PS4 handle PSVR? Like is the frame rate the only significant cost or is there a significant additional cost due to the two screens, 3D sound and motion?

I want to know which games that I can imagine having VR.

The external box does not do any reprojection. That's done on the PS4 itself. As for games handling PSVR, all games can be played in the virtual cinema regardless of their framerate. If you mean enabling specific VR modes in games... there's a lot more to concern yourself with there than just the framerate, but yes there's an additional rendering cost for the stuff you have to do for VR.

For me, the nature of the somewhat confusing exclusivity of VR stuff is what leans me to PSVR first as the lowest cost investment for VR to get a feel of VR before dipping my money into high end VR.

Also, I expect faster iteration cycles from SteamVR and Oculus.

Second gen hardware products are almost always leaps and bounds more polished than gen 1 products.

PSVR I expect will have a slightly longer cycle as the major leap will come simultaneously with a major hardware upgrade PS5.

UnrealEck

PSVR I expect will have a slightly longer cycle as the major leap will come simultaneously with a major hardware upgrade PS5.

I doubt Rift and Vive CV1 support in games will just drop away for a long time. So you won't be forced to jump on a CV2 of either unless you want to. I don't see it as a negative if it's an option vs no option.

clem84

Gold Member
Anyone else think that the best VR games will be the ones where your character is stationary inside some kind of vehicle?

For example, imagine a Rogue Squadron game where you control the game with a standard controller to move your craft around, but you have a cockpit view and you can turn your head around to look on the sides and up and down into the cockpit. That would be insane.

Or in a racing simulator. Same principle as described above. It could really bring those experiences to the next level.

Wallach

Anyone else think that the best VR games will be the ones where your character is stationary inside some kind of vehicle?

For example, imagine a Rogue Squadron game where you control the game with a standard controller to move your craft around, but you have a cockpit view and you can turn your head around to look on the sides and up and down into the cockpit. That would be insane.

Or in a racing simulator. Same principle as described above. It could really bring those experiences to the next level.

I mean, since owning the DK2 I have bought ~1,000 bucks worth of wheel and HOTAS equipment. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone either. So yeah I think a lot of people are expecting those two genres to see a pretty big resurgence on the back of VR.

I doubt Rift and Vive CV1 support in games will just drop away for a long time. So you won't be forced to jump on a CV2 of either unless you want to. I don't see it as a negative if it's an option vs no option.

I know that. I'm just saying that if products are expected to have iterative cycles that aren't very long in-between, I'd much rather wait it out. I regretted iPad 1 immediately after iPad 2 got announced, and I'm super glad I held onto buying a Surface after seeing how far the product has come in just short few years.

By and large, I never buy gen 1 products. Even my PSVR purchase is something I'm taking as a wasteful investment to see if I even want to be on the high-end VR hype train for the foreseeable future.

Did this comment just drop out of 2013?

But yes, cockpit games are the number one reason I'm so into VR.

viveks86

This is pretty much what Eve: Valkyrie, Elite Dangerous and Project Cars plan to do at launch. So yeah, these are ideal scenarios for seated VR

newsguy

I have a question about people wearing glasses inside the headset. I operate cameras and when you look into the viewfinder, it's very uncomfortable with glasses on. I always remove my glasses and use the diopter adjustment in the viewfinder to make the image clear. When I tried the GearVR I was able to do this by rotating a knob on the headset. Do all 3 of these headsets have this feature as well? I keep reading about people using their glasses inside the headsets, which seems odd to me since there should be an adjustment to allow you to not wear them.

Fret

sounds like you're a bit behind on VR, lol.

this type of stuff has been a thing for years.

Monger

I have a question about people wearing glasses inside the headset. I operate cameras and when you look into the viewfinder, it's very uncomfortable with glasses on. I always remove my glasses and use the diopter adjustment in the viewfinder to make the image clear. When I tried the GearVR I was able to do this by rotating a knob on the headset. Do all 3 of these headsets have this feature as well? I keep reading about people using their glasses inside the headsets, which seems odd to me since there should be an adjustment to allow you to not wear them.

I don't think so. Gizmag: HTC Vive Pre preview: Five things it taught us about the consumer Vive

The Vive's lenses slide forwards to better accommodate glasses wearers. The Vive and PlayStation VR both let you slide their lenses forwards or backwards to either make room for glasses or give people who don't wear glasses a wider field of view. This is a great feature for anyone who wears them.

Oculus execs say the Rift has plenty of room for glasses (and we haven't had any problems fitting them in), but it isn't as comfortable to wear with specs. At GDC, I felt some pressure from my glasses against my face while wearing the Rift – even when the straps were fairly loose. The Vive Pre has been completely comfortable with specs underneath.

UnrealEck

I know that. I'm just saying that if products are expected to have iterative cycles that aren't very long in-between, I'd much rather wait it out. I regretted iPad 1 immediately after iPad 2 got announced, and I'm super glad I held onto buying a Surface after seeing how far the product has come in just short few years.

By and large, I never buy gen 1 products. Even my PSVR purchase is something I'm taking as a wasteful investment to see if I even want to be on the high-end VR hype train for the foreseeable future.

Wouldn't you be best holding onto buying a PSVR then too and waiting to see Rift and/or Vive CV2?

Wallach

I don't normally post stuff from Reddit, but seriously:

http://imgur.com/a/dXf2H

This guy is going in hard. Doesn't seem to be any dedicated space for a seated rig (which I would have to install if I was going to convert a room in my home for VR) but that is still really cool nonetheless.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I would not pull Oculus in on this, the problem here is not Oculus SDK vs SteamVR but AC developers not caring about VR in whole. They're just adding some kind of Oculus support because they promised that during early access, but their implementation has always been lazy.

IMO games that do support Rift should still offer native Oculus SDK implementation for best performance, async timewarp, audio, etc. but SteamVR should be supported too.

The point is that Oculus actively supports its own closed SDK rather than the open one. And don't quote me some nice PR statements, actions speak louder than words.

Wouldn't you be best holding onto buying a PSVR then too and waiting to see Rift and/or Vive CV2?

Like I call it : wasteful investment. If I end up regretting PSVR, so be it.

I've tried stuff like GearVR etc already and while it didn't blow me away, I'm sold on the potential of VR and want to see if a higher quality version of VR is what I want to make into another piece of an already expensive hobby.

Tldr; I want to be an early adopter, but I'm also stingy and don't want to feel like my headset is worthless after 2 years. PSVR specs is unlikely to change over the course of the PS4 gen, since it still has to work with limitations, so that is my choice.

I also think the next gen of VR will at least all be on par in terms of tracking and room scale which if I want VR, that consistency is my jumping point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you buy things from the oculus store if you don't have a rift? Eg if they get wrappers or hacks to make them work on vive

mrklaw

MrArseFace
People in the UK.

Logitech G920 Steering wheel and pedals (or you can take the G29 which is slightly different looking)
and
Gear stick

£135 if you buy both and use voucher code LOGITECH10.

Think I'm going with the thrustmaster t150 which should feel a bit smoother (wasn't a fan of the DFGT). Can't buy yet as I promised the wife I'd stop buying crap for a while (this was after I bought a surface pro 4 and preordered a vive and iPad Pro 9.7 all in a short space of time)

UnrealEck

Unless you're on a strict budget, I'd highly recommend CH's products. A lot of the other flashier ones just aren't built very well.

Yeah I saw those but I am on a budget to fit everything I want in. I have a car wheel, need a chair+stand and a HOTAS and I haven't even paid for the Rift yet.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait reading months and months of impressions while waiting for October.

;_;

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I saw those but I am on a budget to fit everything I want in. I have a car wheel, need a chair+stand and a HOTAS and I haven't even paid for the Rift yet.

I need a way to lock my swivel chair so it doesn't swivel when I'm playing racing games.

Nzyme32

I need a way to lock my swivel chair so it doesn't swivel when I'm playing racing games.

There's something I didn't think of.

Top of my head solution - grab 2 or more wire clothes hangers, unravel them, tie them around the chair "supports" where the wheels are (maybe put door stoppers behind those if you don't want to accidentally roll too) up to the link between seat and back rest

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't normally post stuff from Reddit, but seriously:

http://imgur.com/a/dXf2H

This guy is going in hard. Doesn't seem to be any dedicated space for a seated rig (which I would have to install if I was going to convert a room in my home for VR) but that is still really cool nonetheless.

Amazing. I love the passion.

Durante

If you take Oculus at face value, these are only going to be store exclusives the same way Steam, Uplay, etc have exclusive content on their stores.
I think we need to judge this by what they do and not what they say, and the license agreement does in fact state "The Oculus VR Rift SDK may not be used to interface with unapproved commercial virtual reality mobile or non-mobile products or hardware."

Resseh

will i need to wear glasses if I'm shorted sighted whilst using the Vive? I'm worried about scratching the lenses of the vive (and glasses!)

Durante

Yes, if you are shortsighted to a non-trivial extent you'll need to wear glasses (or contact lenses) with all HMDs. You can hope for people creating custom lenses for the HMDs as an alternative.

I haven't really found scratching to be an issue with glasses. What is an issue to me though, and why I prefer using the HMD with contact lenses, is that if you are using glasses it reduces your FoV (since the lenses need to be farther away from your eyes).

artsi

The point is that Oculus actively supports its own closed SDK rather than the open one. And don't quote me some nice PR statements, actions speak louder than words.

A company actively supports their own software that drives their hardware the best way, that's a huge surprise. They've been developing Oculus SDK for years, so did you expect them to switch to the competitors product that doesn't even have all the same features, and is closed source so they can't do anything with it?

I mean, exclusive games aren't nice but that's just silly to assume they should give all control to Valve. We would not have Audio SDK or ATW if that was the case.
If OpenVR was actually open source and Oculus had the ability to contribute their own features, I might think different.

Durante

I'm curious, how do you justify this?
The Oculus VR Rift SDK may not be used to interface with unapproved commercial virtual reality mobile or non-mobile products or hardware.

Because when I read that part was when I knew that the KS Oculus was dead.

Why?

The KS was done to fund a company and a device. The Oculus Rift.

It wasn't done to fund software development that would help competition's hardware, or to help advance the VR industry in some idealistic dreamy way. It was done to fund their device.

I find the typical narrative of "the small guys are good and once they went big (bought by FB) are now bad" pretty hilarious. Even if if they would have hold up as "small guys" maybe they would have done the same. Maybe not because they wouldn't be in a position of power, but not because ethical/morale reasons.

steve1873

Yeah that is 1 of the things that will be a concern for games outwith a cockpit. Motion sickness where you are using a controller and your character is moving, yet you are sat (or standing) stationary.

I guess even in a cockpit this could be a problem if you, for example fly inverted, but your inner ear is telling your brain that you aren't actually upside down.

Having never used VR in any form as yet, it will be interesting to see how this all works, and how developers deal with the above issues.

Durante

It wasn't done to fund software development that would help competition's hardware, or to help advance the VR industry in some idealistic dreamy way.
Well, that was certainly how many of us perceived it at the time, and it was absolutely also the perception supported by Oculus.

Sorry for being a dreamy idealist I guess.

artsi

My opinion is that Oculus is free to evaluate HMD's that implement their SDK (more importantly, has Oculus Store access), assuming they want to offer a curated, high quality experience via their platform. Giving every third grade Chinese clone the permission to stick an "Oculus supported" tag on their products might have a negative impact for their brand.

I do think that Oculus Store and games should have Vive compatibility in one way or another, but I disagree that they should simply ditch their own, well polished SDK in favor of something their direct competitor controls. It's like pressuring Apple to dump iOS and switch to Android reasoning that it would end exclusivity in the mobile gaming world.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A company actively supports their own software that drives their hardware the best way, that's a huge surprise. They've been developing Oculus SDK for years, so did you expect them to switch to the competitors product that doesn't even have all the same features, and is closed source so they can't do anything with it?

I mean, exclusive games aren't nice but that's just silly to assume they should give all control to Valve. We would not have Audio SDK or ATW if that was the case.
If OpenVR was actually open source and Oculus had the ability to contribute their own features, I might think different.

The difference is that Oculus SDK is locked to 1 manufacturer, while OpenVR can be used by more.

Oculus has the right to do this exclusivity thing, nobody is contesting this. It doesn't make it less negative for the VR industry as a whole.

This is not a negative thing only if you envision a VR future where there is only one manufacturer, Oculus.

The problem at the moment is that Oculus have said they are willing to add Vive to the supported list, but both sides seems to be saying the ball is in the other's court. So who knows what the blockage is.

Mikeside

The problem at the moment is that Oculus have said they are willing to add Vive to the supported list, but both sides seems to be saying the ball is in the other's court. So who knows what the blockage is.

Yeah, that's the really frustrating thing.
Why should we the consumers care who's fault it is?

I just want one party or the other to actually come out and prove what the hold-up is, because if Oculus, HTC or Valve are intentionally blocking it from happening, that company has severely lost my trust.

Durante

Which gets us back to considering what they do and not what they say.
And what Oculus does is put this obvious legal roadblock in their API license, while OpenVR (and even SteamVR) do no such thing.

And time will tell which approach is best. If controlling the API gives them some control over the quality of headsets associated with Oculus store experiences, then that may be better in the long run for the quality of HMDs being made and the experience people have at a crucial formative time for VR.
Or maybe it'll be too limiting and anti-competitive. It feels a bit too early to say!

Top Bottom