• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does the steam VR/open VR tools have support for binaural audio in a way that would make it simple to integrate positional audio in a game?

Are there any significant differences between the oculus and steam VR tools?

Well, that was certainly how many of us perceived it at the time, and it was absolutely also the perception supported by Oculus.

Sorry for being a dreamy idealist I guess.

You don't have to be sorry. Just saying, most of kickstarters are for making commercial products. Games, music, electronic devices, etc. It's about kickstarting private companies, not NGOs. Once they are kickstarted, they are going to be as any other private company.

Mikeside

You don't have to be sorry. Just saying, most of kickstarters are for making commercial products. Games, music, electronic devices, etc. It's about kickstarting private companies, not NGOs. Once they are kickstarted, they are going to be as any other private company.

Whilst this is true, I still think it's unfair that they misrepresented themselves as a company that wanted everybody to pile in and share the content like a big lovely family, and then pull the rug out

"no fuck you, this is gonna be huge and we're owned by Facebook now so we want the whole pie"

I understand it, but it still wasn't the decent thing to do.
If it turns out this is all pre-release smoke & mirrors and it's just timed exclusivity, then I take it back.

Crossposting from the Oculus OT, but can anyone explain that to me?

Playing ADR1FT on Steam using your Oculus Rift
Hello all...we're happy to be able to inform you all that we've been able to secure a license to allow you to play ADR1FT on Steam using your consumer version Oculus Rift. The only requirements are the 1.3 runtime, an Oculus Rift, and Steam ownership.

We still recommend you have the VR experience through Oculus Home. Oculus has built a great VR platform and we will gladly send a key your way if you are a Steam owner.

The choice is yours to make!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/300060/discussions/0/385429254939379489/

I am not exactly sure what they mean with the licence. Do you have to ask Oculus first before you want to put a VR version of your game on Steam?

artsi

Does the steam VR/open VR tools have support for binaural audio in a way that would make it simple to integrate positional audio in a game?

Are there any significant differences between the oculus and steam VR tools?

The last I checked there were no binaural audio tools in OpenVR / SteamVR. But Oculus lets anyone use their Audio SDK / engine plugins, even SteamVR games, and there are some other third party solutions also.

I am not exactly sure what they mean with the licence. Do you have to ask Oculus first before you want to put a VR version of your game on Steam?

I'm sure they just mean a software license for the user. Like, hey user, we've been able to get you a cd key for the Oculus store version of Adr1ft!

That's how I read it anyways.

Zalusithix

Well, that was certainly how many of us perceived it at the time, and it was absolutely also the perception supported by Oculus.

Sorry for being a dreamy idealist I guess.

Yeah, that was the general impression given. Alas, they're part of a multibilllion dollar shareholder driven beast now. They can't take risks with their name anymore, lest it possibly devalue the brand worth.

Of course with the Vive/Oculus debacle, it's more politics than anything.

Not every Kickstarter is about the creation of a for profit company, or even a for profit product. Here's one project I backed. It's certainly not the only one of its kind.
The Planetary Society is incorporated as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in the United States.

Yeah, that was the general impression given. Alas, they're part of a multibilllion dollar shareholder driven beast now. They can't take risks with their name anymore, lest it possibly devalue the brand worth.

Of course with the Vive/Oculus debacle, it's more politics than anything.

I'm sure of that. Both want to work with the other, but both want at least one thing that the other isn't willing to give up. Based on what the leaker said (which I know was hearsay) I could understand where both companies were coming from.

Oculus have put a ton of work into the software side of things to make sure the VR experience is seamless and perfect. They have a fairly new brand that will be hurt by people buying cheap headsets and getting a bad experience from Oculus software in ways that Steam and Valve won't by any Vive knockoffs. Plus while they've helped HTC on the hardware side of things, if that hardware fails, it isn't going to massively cost them like it'll cost Oculus should the same thing happen there.

Valve want Steam to be THE VR platform, and if they are asking for steam overlay integration in Oculus home, I can see why Oculus wouldn't want that and it doesn't seem unreasonable to stand in the way of that.

I hope one side backs down on whatever their particular hang up is. Games like Lucky's Tale and Herobound should be enjoyable by as many people as possible.

I think we'll get there, but right now Oculus haven't even launched a commercial product or a PC version of their store. I can understand them wanting to get that right and out, before putting too much focus elsewhere.

My fingers are crossed that when Touch launches, they'll have a chaperone equivalent and be more welcoming to Vive uses if not before then.

Nzyme32

This whole situation with Adr1ft is just weird. Their initial stance was that they would be bringing the game to both Rift and Vive from the outset, which is now contradicted by the recent statement that Oculus is all they were supporting, following a rather sudden flip where a SteamVR version is an ambiguous possibility now and all support is for the Oculus Store. Just prior to this they said there was no exclusivity deal.

Now this basically outright says that the issue is supporting SteamVR / Vive / OpenVR / other headsets over Oculus. So if there is no exclusivity deal, why even bother allowing Steam users to play as long as they have an Oculus Rift CV?

Similarly seeing VR capability removed from some Steam games to allow only Oculus support outside of Steam only is just infuriating from the perspective of the open PC platform and digital distribution.

These actions have made me set on simply not bothering with supporting VR at all on PC till I can be sure what products will actually give me interoperability and back / forward compatibility indefinitely. The last thing I want is to invest in games that will have their functionality and support actively removed in favour of an exclusivity deal / wanting to support only one thing. Sure there will be work arounds, and that might be where my interest comes back. Worse will be if such solutions are actively crippled later, which wouldn't surprise me at this point the way things are going.

This whole situation with Adr1ft is just weird. Their initial stance was that they would be bringing the game to both Rift and Vive from the outset, which is now contradicted by the recent statement that Oculus is all they were supporting, following a rather sudden flip where a SteamVR version is an ambiguous possibility now and all support is for the Oculus Store. Just prior to this they said there was no exclusivity deal.

Now this basically outright says that the issue is supporting SteamVR / Vive / OpenVR / other headsets over Oculus. So if there is no exclusivity deal, why even bother allowing Steam users to play as long as they have an Oculus Rift CV?

Similarly seeing VR capability removed from some Steam games to allow only Oculus support outside of Steam only is just infuriating from the perspective of the open PC platform and digital distribution.

These actions have made me set on simply not bothering with supporting VR at all on PC till I can be sure what products will actually give me interoperability and back / forward compatibility indefinitely. The last thing I want is to invest in games that will have their functionality and support actively removed in favour of an exclusivity deal / wanting to support only one thing. Sure there will be work arounds, and that might be where my interest comes back. Worse will be if such solutions are actively crippled later, which wouldn't surprise me at this point the way things are going.

I think you're reading between lines that don't exist. This is saying 'hey guys, we got permission to give you a license for the Oculus store version if you buy the Steam version. you can still play the game in VR on steam, but we think you should play it through Oculus home because we think it's a great platform.'

What's the problem?

Zalusithix

AFAIK, they never promised day one support for both headsets. It seemed like support for other headsets would be added in at a later date. This post is saying you can use your Rift on either store, but if you have a Rift, you should probably support the Oculus store. The statement doesn't say anything for or against future OpenVR integration.

dumbo

I think you're reading between lines that don't exist. This is saying 'hey guys, we got permission to give you a license for the Oculus store version if you buy the Steam version. you can still play the game in VR on steam, but we think you should play it through Oculus home because we think it's a great platform.'

What's the problem?

I think you've misread the quote...
Hello all...we're happy to be able to inform you all that we've been able to secure a license to allow you to play ADR1FT on Steam using your consumer version Oculus Rift.

That doesn't appear to have anything to do with Oculus store licenses.

Zalusithix

I think you've misread the quote...

That doesn't appear to have anything to do with Oculus store licenses.

Oculus has built a great VR platform and we will gladly send a key your way if you are a Steam owner
The way I read that is they will send you a key for the Oculus store if you own the game on Steam and contact them. Playing on Steam itself shouldn't require any additional work.

Edit: The "license" they talk about is probably in regards to an agreement with Oculus in order to provide the VR version on Steam for free to existing owners.

In the Tested interview he stated for the Rift and other headsets that he'll announce later. Unless there was something said after that, I take that as not simultaneous.

http://www.roadtovr.com/new-adr1ft-gameplay-is-beautiful-and-exhausting/

Developer Three One Zero is bringing ‘Astronaut in peril’ adventure title ADR1FT to Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and Sony PlayStation VR next year.

The trailer where it showed Vive was deleted though. It was never day one, but people were expecting it to be, when they announced it for all plattforms.

Mihos

Gold Member
And time will tell which approach is best. If controlling the API gives them some control over the quality of headsets associated with Oculus store experiences, then that may be better in the long run for the quality of HMDs being made and the experience people have at a crucial formative time for VR.
Or maybe it'll be too limiting and anti-competitive. It feels a bit too early to say!

This is PC world, some of the best stuff isn't going to be on either store or allowed in a curated environment.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm sure of that. Both want to work with the other, but both want at least one thing that the other isn't willing to give up. Based on what the leaker said (which I know was hearsay) I could understand where both companies were coming from.

Oculus have put a ton of work into the software side of things to make sure the VR experience is seamless and perfect. They have a fairly new brand that will be hurt by people buying cheap headsets and getting a bad experience from Oculus software in ways that Steam and Valve won't by any Vive knockoffs. Plus while they've helped HTC on the hardware side of things, if that hardware fails, it isn't going to massively cost them like it'll cost Oculus should the same thing happen there.

Valve want Steam to be THE VR platform, and if they are asking for steam overlay integration in Oculus home, I can see why Oculus wouldn't want that and it doesn't seem unreasonable to stand in the way of that.

I hope one side backs down on whatever their particular hang up is. Games like Lucky's Tale and Herobound should be enjoyable by as many people as possible.

I think we'll get there, but right now Oculus haven't even launched a commercial product or a PC version of their store. I can understand them wanting to get that right and out, before putting too much focus elsewhere.

My fingers are crossed that when Touch launches, they'll have a chaperone equivalent and be more welcoming to Vive uses if not before then.

In the end the result is what matters, not what companies say in careful prepared PR statements. And the result and the reality is that Steam VR supports both headsets and Steam sells even games that have only Rift support while Oculus doesn't support anything else but Rift in both SDK and store.

Onemic

It's still unacceptable to me that we have exclusive games on PC. That's what consoles are for. I can't support a company that pushes that type of policy into the PC space. It's anti-consumer.

Afro

Probly answered already, but do you necessarily have to use the waggle sticks w/ the Vive or can you simply sit at a desk w/ just the headset + gamepad?

I read in the Steam thread that the Vive is perfectly capable of seated experiences.

Probly answered already, but do you necessarily have to use the waggle sticks w/ the Vive or can you simply sit at a desk w/ just the headset + gamepad?

You can use any controller with the Vive -- Xbox, PS4, Steam Controller (lols). The motion controllers are not required.

You also don't need to stand to use the Vive; seated gaming works 100% fine.

Zalusithix

It's still unacceptable to me that we have exclusive games on PC. That's what consoles are for. I can't support a company that pushes that type of policy into the PC space. It's anti-consumer.

Yep, with all due respect to Oculus and their curated vision... It's at odds with the PC ecosystem. They're free to restrict what software appears on their shop, but once they start policing hardware on an API, they're getting into murky - if not outright hostile territory. The successful APIs in PC gaming are hardware agnostic. Consumers on the PC don't enjoy being gated. We've gone through this song and dance before. 3DFX Glide anybody?

If Oculus is afraid of the crap hardware sinking their brand due to compatibility with the Oculus SDK, then rename it. Kind of like how OpenVR doesn't have Steam's name in it. There shouldn't be "Oculus compatible". There should just be "VR capable". Let the market dictate the rest. Shit hardware will gain a negative reputation and fail.

The Apple approach only really makes sense when you're controlling everything. Trying to contain the PC is an exercise in futility.

Z3M0G

Too bad the Adr1ft review doesn't actually consider VR at all.

True... he judged it purely for its game qualities, not the VR experience. But I think that's what we are going to get from different publications... they will tell you if it is a good game, or if it is a good VR experience. And perhaps not really touch on both subjects at once.

True... he judged it purely for its game qualities, not the VR experience. But I think that's what we are going to get from different publications... they will tell you if it is a good game, or if it is a good VR experience. And perhaps not really touch on both subjects at once.

I'm not trying to defend the game, but it clearly is a VR game first and foremost.

Judging it without VR seems kinda silly.

But hey, it's IGN.

jmga

For those interested, Oculus Home and latest runtime work just fine with the DK2.

All Rift software should run on DK2.

Room-scale size test (with single camera)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_HlXzELHgo

Pretty big for being only with one camera, when the message show ups sometimes (when he is in the limit of the vision cone) is usually when he was crouched, and I think it was because he had the camera tilted up, prepared for standing up. I think putting the camera at a slightly higher height but leaving it leveled up with the floor would produce better results. But even when he go prone in the ground the camera still would pick him up, if he was at the optimal distance.

I'm not trying to defend the game, but it clearly is a VR game first and foremost.

But hey, it's IGN.
I love hating on IGN but...

If it's clearly a VR game first, it wouldn't be released as a non-VR game with no VR specific features. When that happens, I see it as the opposite- a normal game first with VR added

Games don't get reviewed differently based on the monitor used to play them

Zalusithix

Room-scale size test (with single camera)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_HlXzELHgo

Pretty big for being only with one camera, when the message show ups sometimes (when he is in the limit of the vision cone) is usually when he was crouched, and I think it was because he had the camera tilted up, prepared for standing up. I think putting the camera at a slightly higher height but leaving it leveled up with the floor would produce better results. But even when he go prone in the ground the camera still would pick him up, if he was at the optimal distance.

I don't think many people doubted that the headset could be tracked at those distances. The only questionable thing is the touch controllers in less than ideal situations due to their smaller size and thus tracking footprint. Outside of that potential niggle and the somewhat reduced FoV of the cameras vs the lighthouses, the Rift and Vive are both capable of room scale. (Though the Vive is far easier to set up without having to run USB cables around.)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

But hey, it's IGN.

The main complains are about the bad controls, linearity, restricting exploration and repetitive gameplay and none of them will be different in VR.

Mikeside

So frustrating - the space I have to spare in my study is 5ft x 7ft

Just shy of room scale minimum.

Once I get a more shallow computer desk, I should be just about good to go, but my current one is 80cm/32" deep!

Exuro

I did some measurements and I can move things around in my living room to have an 8ftx8ft space. I was really late to ordering and I'm still mixed on which to get(have both ordered atm) but if I keep thinking about advantages/disadvantages of both I'll just keep both orders. >_>

Samaritan

I did some measurements and I can move things around in my living room to have an 8ftx8ft space. I was really late to ordering and I'm still mixed on which to get(have both ordered atm) but if I keep thinking about advantages/disadvantages of both I'll just keep both orders. >_>

In the exact same boat. I can't believe I went from "gonna hold off on VR" a month ago to now having pre-orders for both Oculus and Vive.

I'm so excited to be installing software so I will definitely have things ready to go for the headset! I'm slightly put off of Adr1ft based on the IGN review. Swinging towards Ethan Carter instead... trying to figure out my budget here.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
The main complains are about the bad controls, linearity, restricting exploration and repetitive gameplay and none of them will be different in VR.

The experience will be different. Radically different.

They talk about difficulty in orientation and distance judging. VR could solve all that.

Then it could as well be a bad VR game as it could be a bad game altogether; but VR isn't simply a visual option su can dismiss while reviewing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The experience will be different. Radically different.

They talk about difficulty in orientation and distance judging. VR could solve all that.

Then it could as well be a bad VR game as it could be a bad game altogether; but VR isn't simply a visual option su can dismiss while reviewing.

It's like you completely ignored what I wrote, lol.

Come on, you're clever enough to understand that this is an incredibly stupid analogy.

As for the rest, I agree. It's mostly the developer's fault (or publisher's).
It's not a perfect analogy, but it's darn close as long as the HMD adds nothing to gameplay. Otherwise does every game get a +1 review boost just because the game can be played in VR?

The visuals and atmosphere in games are already built into a review score, which is the biggest thing a HMD would enhance. But so would a 4K TV and awesome set of 7.1 headphones...

In cases like Adr1ft, I consider a HMD just a fancy accessory that enhances (or ruins...) the base experience. People WITH that accessory know they can probably milk more enjoyment out of the score (like people with a racing wheel reading a racing review) than other people but that's it. IGN should have included a sidebar about VR, but I don't know if VR should have been factored into the score more than "visuals" already was

It's like you completely ignored what I wrote, lol.

You know what I meant.

VR could make up for the game's flaws in a way a normal display simply can't.

It's a game that relies on immersion, and without VR, it must just be a bad short game.

My point is that they have to review it in VR too. Then they can shit on it from the orbit, if they so like.

Top Bottom