• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

Received my Blue Belt last night. Out of everything this year it was the highlight. My teacher is old school brazillian, so I think there were alot of factors going. Took me 4 years. I've only done no gi and a little bit of Judo so now its time to get a gi of my very own! Would like to be sporting this bad boy every week.

BrettWeir

Received my Blue Belt last night. Out of everything this year it was the highlight. My teacher is old school brazillian, so I think there were alot of factors going. Took me 4 years. I've only done no gi and a little bit of Judo so now its time to get a gi of my very own! Would like to be sporting this bad boy every week.

Congrats!!!!

Yeah! Congrats with the massive accomplishment:)) Mixing Gi and No-Gi is really fun. Getting some variety is a good thing!

Congrats!

Cindi got banned? Daaaaamn.

So after a couple of setbacks and delays my black Tatami Nova Gi is on it's way to me. I'm so looking forward to starting my classes (hopefully by next week). I can't stop thinking about it.

Probably got banned in the video game side. Everyone gets banned in those threads.

I'm an argumentative cunt when it comes to vidya games so I'm shocked I've not been banned yet lol.

I think I'm done with BJJ til the New Year now sadly. This month is expensive as hell and i just don't have the 90 euro to spare. Did a few drop ins last week but need all the money I can get now. Tho it's not a bad time for it to happen as I think I hurt my shoulder rolling last week. It's quite sore so a few weeks off might be a good thing.

Was there ever any talk about setting this thread up to be an official topic? It seems like this is the main thread for BJJ talk and less about the history.

Was there ever any talk about setting this thread up to be an official topic? It seems like this is the main thread for BJJ talk and less about the history.

There was talk of turning it into the OT of aggressive pyjama cuddling but nothing ever came of it.

How did your first few classes go PB? Edit: Oh wait you're starting next week

I think I might have strained my knee as well as my shoulder now too. Awesome.

EBI

aka Heel Hooks galore

So what's the deal with EBI/10th Planet style of jiu jitsu? Is it really focused on heel hooks/leg locks? From my brief research everything I've read gives me the vibe that it is.

There was talk of turning it into the OT of aggressive pyjama cuddling but nothing ever came of it.

How did your first few classes go PB? Edit: Oh wait you're starting next week

I think I might have strained my knee as well as my shoulder now too. Awesome.

That's too bad but I guess an OT wouldn't necessarily help the thread any. If anyone has an interest in BJJ they'll most likely find this thread anyways.

Yep, starting my classes this week finally. I only have one Gi and I hate having to goto the laundry mat. So I'm hoping another Gi is on deck for a (hopefully early) Christmas gift.

Yep, starting my classes this week finally. I only have one Gi and I hate having to goto the laundry mat. So I'm hoping another Gi is on deck for a (hopefully early) Christmas gift.

How did the first classes go? Yeah its one thing about BJJ they dont put in the brochure, all the fucking laundry youll be doing. I only have one Gi and even that means a boatload of laundry.

I went back to class last night as my shoulder/knee were a bit better. They feel a lot worse now lol. It was a bit of a shitty class just that i felt like i didnt take much away from it, save maybe for my instructor helping me with my side control pressure. I was hunching over my partner rather than arching my back in a more chest-to-chest manner..

That's definitely my last class for the year now anyway, and if youll excuse some white belt shitposting i was just reflecting on my first year in BJJ. This isnt a "BJJ saved my life" post as i had a pretty decent life before BJJ!

I started in March and really had no idea what i was getting myself into. I thought it would be more self defense based. I really wasn't expecting to essentially be joining a sporting team. At first i was disappointed, but over time i got more used to the idea of sport jiu jitsu and now id much rather be doing this than training to stop knife attacks or whatever.
I did a full 3 months of fundamentals, so no rolling, just drilling. I really wish id started rolling a lot sooner. I kinda feel like those few months were a waste. But having said that, the first time i sparred, i got absolutely fucked up. I had a fingernail almost completely torn off, and a giant fat dude who swore blind he had a bum shoulder and wanted to "roll light" slam me onto the floor and bellyflop onto me. If that had been my first day i probably would have quit. Being honest, i almost did quit after that. I went home and was about to throw my mouthguard, gi, the works, right in the bin. No exaggeration. Literally walked home that night thinking "fuck this shit, im done."
Im not sure if it was stupidity or just pig headedness that made me go back the day after but i did. That was back in July, and aside from being sick all through October ive been rolling every class, ive been bruised, bled, bent and may have developed an unhealthy relationship with ibuprofen.
So i think ive learned that maybe i'm either tougher, or stupider than i realized. I've never had a love hate relationship like i do with BJJ. I love this sport, but by Christ its tough.Mentally and physically. But you all know that already. Some days you leave class feeling great, others you feel like the worst person to ever put on a Gi. But ive kept coming back and whether im awful at BJJ or not (i am), thats a bit of a victory in itself. I know everyones heard the "No Ego on the mats" routine and is sick to death of it, but i really got a deeper understanding of that this year. Nothing humbles you as a grown man of 37 than being tapped out by a 15 year old. I dont know how much longer ill keep training, its already starting to strain my wallet, but i hope its for a while yet.

So what's the deal with EBI/10th Planet style of jiu jitsu? Is it really focused on heel hooks/leg locks? From my brief research everything I've read gives me the vibe that it is.

This is gonna go deep.

BJJ is evolved from a system of self defense and it's idea of superior positional stems from the logic that the best positions are ones where you can hit or submit your opponent but cannot be hit by them. So there is a positional hierarchy in BJJ that comes from this line of thinking. This is how the sport of BJJ has evolved. Even though striking is not allowed, the idea is still there, you are rewarded for positions where you are not in danger of being struck but can strike or submit your opponent.

Because of this theory, leglocks have been under utilized in BJJ for decades. The general rule of thumb is that in order to attack a leg, you leave the other limbs free to move around and hit you so BJJ never really developed a positional hierarchy for leglocks as it has for armlocks and chokes.

However, as it's evolved to become more of a pure grappling sport, people figured out that in the absence of striking, there are dominant leglock positions that you can attain in pure grappling and that it has not been as thoroughly explored as upper body control. So there is a wider gap in knowledge and skill there than any other aspect of grappling right now.

Hence, the prevalence of leglocks in EBI.

BrettWeir

I may be an odd man out, and it may not be popular in opinion, but for me, the whole no-gi leg lock phenomenon/craze in competition is incredibly boring to watch. I wrestled for 11 years though, so maybe that's why I find it boring.....not sure. I'd much rather watch Jeff Glover over any Danaher Death Squad member.

Although, that may not be fair. Glover is in a whole different category in regards to showmanship in BJJ.

As for competition, what are your guys thoughts on the current state of take-downs? Or lack thereof? I'd love to see them add rules to both EBI style tournaments and sport/point tournaments.

For EBI rule sets, dropping straight to butt scoot or pulling guard, the opponent is automatically awarded back to back (or more) OT rule advantage.

For sport/point rules, dropping straight to butt scoot or pulling guard, the opponent is automatically awarded some amount of points that may make it incredibly hard for the initiator to recover from. IE, 20 points.

I feel that this would discourage dropping right to butt scoot or pulling guard, and force take-downs to be a main focus again.

What do y'all think?

How did the first classes go? Yeah its one thing about BJJ they dont put in the brochure, all the fucking laundry youll be doing. I only have one Gi and even that means a boatload of laundry.

I went back to class last night as my shoulder/knee were a bit better. They feel a lot worse now lol. It was a bit of a shitty class just that i felt like i didnt take much away from it, save maybe for my instructor helping me with my side control pressure. I was hunching over my partner rather than arching my back in a more chest-to-chest manner..

That's definitely my last class for the year now anyway, and if youll excuse some white belt shitposting i was just reflecting on my first year in BJJ. This isnt a "BJJ saved my life" post as i had a pretty decent life before BJJ!

I started in March and really had no idea what i was getting myself into. I thought it would be more self defense based. I really wasn't expecting to essentially be joining a sporting team. At first i was disappointed, but over time i got more used to the idea of sport jiu jitsu and now id much rather be doing this than training to stop knife attacks or whatever.
I did a full 3 months of fundamentals, so no rolling, just drilling. I really wish id started rolling a lot sooner. I kinda feel like those few months were a waste. But having said that, the first time i sparred, i got absolutely fucked up. I had a fingernail almost completely torn off, and a giant fat dude who swore blind he had a bum shoulder and wanted to "roll light" slam me onto the floor and bellyflop onto me. If that had been my first day i probably would have quit. Being honest, i almost did quit after that. I went home and was about to throw my mouthguard, gi, the works, right in the bin. No exaggeration. Literally walked home that night thinking "fuck this shit, im done."
Im not sure if it was stupidity or just pig headedness that made me go back the day after but i did. That was back in July, and aside from being sick all through October ive been rolling every class, ive been bruised, bled, bent and may have developed an unhealthy relationship with ibuprofen.
So i think ive learned that maybe i'm either tougher, or stupider than i realized. I've never had a love hate relationship like i do with BJJ. I love this sport, but by Christ its tough.Mentally and physically. But you all know that already. Some days you leave class feeling great, others you feel like the worst person to ever put on a Gi. But ive kept coming back and whether im awful at BJJ or not (i am), thats a bit of a victory in itself. I know everyones heard the "No Ego on the mats" routine and is sick to death of it, but i really got a deeper understanding of that this year. Nothing humbles you as a grown man of 37 than being tapped out by a 15 year old. I dont know how much longer ill keep training, its already starting to strain my wallet, but i hope its for a while yet.
Great post. We've all been there as white belts. I LOL'd reading about the brochure lacking info about all the laundry you do and how the self defense aspect is often advertised but quickly forgotten in favor of the sport.

But no, you aren't stupid for coming back and yes you are tougher than you think you are. The first 12-18 months is extremely hard as a newbie. You are the nail to everyone's hammer. You drill and drill some more but more often than not, your techniques fail you. As time passes though new members come in and what do you know, they're making the same mistakes you did months ago. The same mistakes that you've already made corrections to. Those techniques you've been drilling that blue and purple belts see coming a mile away now work on the newbies. You're now winning rounds and the rounds you do lose you welcome because you are learning when you lose. Now you're hooked for life.

Understand it's a marathon and not a sprint. Stay healthy and injury free and don't compare your progress to anyone else's, it's your own journey.

I may be an odd man out, and it may not be popular in opinion, but for me, the whole no-gi leg lock phenomenon/craze in competition is incredibly boring to watch. I wrestled for 11 years though, so maybe that's why I find it boring.....not sure. I'd much rather watch Jeff Glover over any Danaher Death Squad member.

Although, that may not be fair. Glover is in a whole different category in regards to showmanship in BJJ.

As for competition, what are your guys thoughts on the current state of take-downs? Or lack thereof? I'd love to see them add rules to both EBI style tournaments and sport/point tournaments.

For EBI rule sets, dropping straight to butt scoot or pulling guard, the opponent is automatically awarded back to back (or more) OT rule advantage.

For sport/point rules, dropping straight to butt scoot or pulling guard, the opponent is automatically awarded some amount of points that may make it incredibly hard for the initiator to recover from. IE, 20 points.

I feel that this would discourage dropping right to butt scoot or pulling guard, and force take-downs to be a main focus again.

What do y'all think?
You aren't the odd man out. I think every rule set so far has its positives and negatives. I think the perfect rule set has yet to be made.

Personally, if I could create a rule set I'd have jiu jitsu fights consist of 3 mini rounds (2 mins each, no rest in between). 1st round would be on the feet where a takedown wins you the round. 2nd and 3rd rounds consist of starting in closed guard. In those closed guard rounds you score points via sweeps and passes. Of course, a submission on your feet or on the ground is instant victory. Ref/judge decision for the rare instance that there's a draw after 3 rounds.

Guard pulling would be eliminated with this format. Leg locks would likely be minimized because of the fear of being swept. Best of all, this format would encourage an all round game; takedown, passing, and closed guard.

Great post. We've all been there as white belts. I LOL'd reading about the brochure lacking info about all the laundry you do and how the self defense aspect is often advertised but quickly forgotten in favor of the sport.

But no, you aren't stupid for coming back and yes you are tougher than you think you are. The first 12-18 months is extremely hard as a newbie. You are the nail to everyone's hammer. You drill and drill some more but more often than not, your techniques fail you. As time passes though new members come in and what do you know, they're making the same mistakes you did months ago. The same mistakes that you've already made corrections to. Those techniques you've been drilling that blue and purple belts see coming a mile away now work on the newbies. You're now winning rounds and the rounds you do lose you welcome because you are learning when you lose. Now you're hooked for life.

Understand it's a marathon and not a sprint. Stay healthy and injury free and don't compare your progress to anyone else's, it's your own journey.

Thanks man, yeah I think not comparing yourself to others is the hardest, but probably most important part. I got hung up on people I started with getting striped ahead of me for a while and it really put me off, until I learned to get over it. Some people just train more often than me and that's it, I'm just going at my own pace!

BrettWeir

You aren't the odd man out. I think every rule set so far has its positives and negatives. I think the perfect rule set has yet to be made.

Personally, if I could create a rule set I'd have jiu jitsu fights consist of 3 mini rounds (2 mins each, no rest in between). 1st round would be on the feet where a takedown wins you the round. 2nd and 3rd rounds consist of starting in closed guard. In those closed guard rounds you score points via sweeps and passes. Of course, a submission on your feet or on the ground is instant victory. Ref/judge decision for the rare instance that there's a draw after 3 rounds.

Guard pulling would be eliminated with this format. Leg locks would likely be minimized because of the fear of being swept. Best of all, this format would encourage an all round game; takedown, passing, and closed guard.

I really dig this approach. Great ideas!!!!

What do y'all think?

I'm okay with the current state of takedowns.

If you want to see a match between two high level BJJ guys where guard pulling is punished, check out Cobrinhna and Rafa Mendes from the 2013 ADCC. Guard pulling in the finals of the ADCC is a -1 point deduction so nobody does it.

What ended up happening was the match went 40 minutes with both guys trying to avoid takedowns. It's probably the worst grappling match I've ever seen in any sport ever. Because they're so evenly matched, conceding a point is a huge disadvantage on BJJ. Just like how high level wrestling matches rarely have pins, high level BJJ matches will rarely end in submissions.

Guard pulling is not rewarded so much as it is the other guy conceding position to you. Where it gets tricky is when weight classes are involved. Around 170-ish pounds is when you're gonna see that guard pulling becomes a bigger and bigger of a disadvantage. This is why as you go up higher in weight classes, there are more takedowns. If you're 200+ pounds, it's much harder for you to generate sweeps on a guy your weight than a guy who's 130 pounds can for a guy his weight.

The reason guard pulling is so prevalent at the lighter weight classes is that weight matters less at those weights.

I didn't make it to my first class until last night (Monday). It went really well though. I was a nervous wreck in the couple hours leading up to it and my mind was doing everything it could to stop me from going. We learned two techniques which both started from being in full guard. It was locking down the opponents leg and moving over into side control.

It was a lot of fun despite the fact that I was struggling to remember each movement within the whole move. I was partnered up with a guy who's my size (6'1 - 220) and was blue belt. I couldn't help but feel that I was bringing down his drilling. He spent most of the time coaching me through the moves which was a tremendous help.

I took down some notes afterwards while sitting at the laundromat. I'm looking forward to the next class tomorrow.

This is gonna go deep.

BJJ is evolved from a system of self defense and it's idea of superior positional stems from the logic that the best positions are ones where you can hit or submit your opponent but cannot be hit by them. So there is a positional hierarchy in BJJ that comes from this line of thinking. This is how the sport of BJJ has evolved. Even though striking is not allowed, the idea is still there, you are rewarded for positions where you are not in danger of being struck but can strike or submit your opponent.

Because of this theory, leglocks have been under utilized in BJJ for decades. The general rule of thumb is that in order to attack a leg, you leave the other limbs free to move around and hit you so BJJ never really developed a positional hierarchy for leglocks as it has for armlocks and chokes.

However, as it's evolved to become more of a pure grappling sport, people figured out that in the absence of striking, there are dominant leglock positions that you can attain in pure grappling and that it has not been as thoroughly explored as upper body control. So there is a wider gap in knowledge and skill there than any other aspect of grappling right now.

Hence, the prevalence of leglocks in EBI.

Awesome, thanks for the in depth response.

Rolled with my professor this morning. He got full mount, attempted an ezekiel, then I executed a bump sweep to reverse position and force him to release the choke. He appluaded me but then turned up the intensity. I worked my pressure pass to half guard and then lost my position and proceeded to get wrecked for the rest of the round. Always a great opportunity to get humbled and learn. 5 yrs into my journey and still so much to learn.

That sounds awesome, camajise.

Anybody have any stretching or mobility exercises? I'm not flexible in the least and my body currently feels like it has been run through the wringer. My legs and glutes are tender to the touch. Going up or down the steps to my apartment is torture. My neck is even sore as are the right side of my ribs.

I'm expecting soreness from now but if there's any exercises I could do on off days to minimize it I'd be all over it.

That sounds awesome, camajise.

Anybody have any stretching or mobility exercises? I'm not flexible in the least and my body currently feels like it has been run through the wringer. My legs and glutes are tender to the touch. Going up or down the steps to my apartment is torture. My neck is even sore as are the right side of my ribs.

I'm expecting soreness from now but if there's any exercises I could do on off days to minimize it I'd be all over it.
YouTube "yoga" videos. You can add things like "20 minutes" or "legs" to the search field to get more specific. it definitely helps me to do at least 1-2 stretching sessions a week.

Once the soreness becomes less frequent, I suggest to add strength and conditioning to your schedule. However, your BJJ should come first and you should train as much as your body allows. As a beginner in your late 30s, that's likely 2-3 classes a week. I'm in my early 40s and finding that right balance of working out and BJJ, all while staying injury free, is a constant struggle.

YouTube "yoga" videos. You can add things like "20 minutes" or "legs" to the search field to get more specific. it definitely helps me to do at least 1-2 stretching sessions a week.

Once the soreness becomes less frequent, I suggest to add strength and conditioning to your schedule. However, your BJJ should come first and you should train as much as your body allows. As a beginner in your late 30s, that's likely 2-3 classes a week. I'm in my early 40s and finding that right balance of working out and BJJ, all while staying injury free, is a constant struggle.

Yeah it's hard to get a good balance alright. As a fellow old guy starting BJJ I try to do 2 BJJ classes per week and 2 S&C sessions in the gym. Tho these last few weeks its been hard to get any sessions in.

Decent class tonight. Small turnout with only about 6 of us. Most pummeling work and a couple side control positions. We also learned a pretty cool choke called the butter knife.

Unfortunately I had to sit out the last couple minutes of rolling. Outside of the butter knife choke I can't remember any of the details from the other techniques. It's frustrating. I've been trying to write down notes after each class but tonight I was just drawing blanks.

Cindi, welcome back from banland :p So when training for a competition are you increasing how often you train?

I noticed my knees are already taking a beating and are pretty sore now. I'm thinking of picking up some knee braces/pads. Any recos from anyone here? There's a ton on Amazon but I'm guessing I should be looking for a low profile pad?

Yes Cindi, you've been missed.

PB, knee pads are a personal preference. Some prefer little support, some more support, same with the padding. As someone who has osteoarthritis in my knees I always wear them and through 5 yrs of grappling my fave are the Asics Snapdown. Just be sure you get clarification whether or not they come individually or in a pair. Wash them regularly with your gis too as they will get funky otherwise. I've had my first pair last me going on 4 yrs now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UEQLRO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yes Cindi, you've been missed.

PB, knee pads are a personal preference. Some prefer little support, some more support, same with the padding. As someone who has osteoarthritis in my knees I always wear them and through 5 yrs of grappling my fave are the Asics Snapdown. Just be sure you get clarification whether or not they come individually or in a pair. Wash them regularly with your gis too as they will get funky otherwise. I've had my first pair last me going on 4 yrs now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UEQLRO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks, just ordered some.

Welcome back and good luck with the competition! I'm still on Christmas holidays. Still eating junk food and doing nothing. Gonna be hard getting back to training!

I just decided to do the same. I have the week off and I've been going to BJJ class and the gym still. This morning I woke up feeling like garbage. So I'm resting for the next couple days and starting in again Monday.

I just saw there's a relatively new BJJ gym opened near me that is literally half the price per month of my current gym. It looks like it's a smaller gym, only opened this year. I'm tempted to drop in and see what it's like cause I can barely afford my current place. My biggest concern is the instructor is a purple belt under the supervision of a black belt whose name I forget. And my current place is black belt led. I like my current place, and I'd feel a bit weird going somewhere else but €50 per month is waaaaay more affordable to me

I just saw there's a relatively new BJJ gym opened near me that is literally half the price per month of my current gym. It looks like it's a smaller gym, only opened this year. I'm tempted to drop in and see what it's like cause I can barely afford my current place. My biggest concern is the instructor is a purple belt under the supervision of a black belt whose name I forget. And my current place is black belt led. I like my current place, and I'd feel a bit weird going somewhere else but €50 per month is waaaaay more affordable to me
Drop in and try it. My fave and best instructor was a purple under Cobrihna. Dude ate, slept, breathed, and lived for BJJ.

Cheers dude. Yeah I might just try a trial class. It'll be weird if I do join tho, almost like breaking up with someone. I have all my coaches on FB and shit, it already feels like I'm cheating on them lol

Cheers dude. Yeah I might just try a trial class. It'll be weird if I do join tho, almost like breaking up with someone. I have all my coaches on FB and shit, it already feels like I'm cheating on them lol
Hahahaha, I've been there. It's never easy. You shared blood sweat and tears with some and to move on is hard.

My school is closed and I have to rely on going to random open mats to train. Week of Christmas I didn't do BJJ once and I slowly marinated with tension with the urge for class.

I have journeyed just to open mats as a two stripe white belt to see what the competition has to offer and also to help found out my flaws. People, even who are competition, are open arms in giving valuable advice. That is the jiu jitsu and martial art way. It really feels like a family.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I missed you all too!

beast786

Could share because I was banned 😩

Took a gold in NoGi world in masters 1 rooster 😊

I am 43 years old (master 3) but had to fight two age division down

Could share because I was banned 😩

Took a gold in NoGi world in masters 1 rooster 😊

I am 43 years old (master 3) but had to fight two age division down
Woohoo! Congrats.

Edit: what belt? how many years have you've been training. I'll be 42 so older guys inspire me.

beast786

My professor is traveling to compete at the IBJJF Europeans. Which means he rolls much more often with us. He smashed me less this morning, it's gonna be a good day.

Had a couple of interesting rolls this morning.

I mounted a bigger stronger guy and I transitioned back and forth from mount to his back. I have to toot my own horn and say I was very proud of the patience I showed. I use to hate taking mount as a white belt as I would always get swept but over time I've studied the position, put in the hours, and it's paying off. I even finished the rear naked using intricate details shared from higher belts. Details that I've never been taught in a regular class.

Had a couple of interesting rolls this morning.

I mounted a bigger stronger guy and I transitioned back and forth from mount to his back. I have to toot my own horn and say I was very proud of the patience I showed. I use to hate taking mount as a white belt as I would always get swept but over time I've studied the position, put in the hours, and it's paying off. I even finished the rear naked using intricate details shared from higher belts. Details that I've never been taught in a regular class.

^ That's awesome, cam. It's inspiring to read and know that at some point I'll be able to connect and dots and pull off some cool shit.

I had a similar roll tonight. I was actually able to mount some offense. Now, granted I'm 100% positive my rolling partner let me move from his guard into side control. The fact that during the roll I recognized the position, kept my breathing under control, remembered what I was taught, and actually put it to use made me feel incredible.

Of course he quickly countered and tapped me seconds later but it didn't dampen my spirit. Seriously I felt so good that I was able to get into side control.

Top Bottom