• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The history of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is fascinating

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Went to the morning class today. Was fucking hard. Learned a lot.

I think the morning schedule will work much better for me. It's a great way to start the day.

I'm exhausted

Went to the morning class today. Was fucking hard. Learned a lot.

I think the morning schedule will work much better for me. It's a great way to start the day.

I'm exhausted
I like my smaller morning class as well. It's very easy to get lost in the big classes with 30+ people and only one instructor. You can learn a new technique but may not get the supervision from the instructor during drilling.

Edit: instructor also asked me to teach morning class for a week and a half in January while he's away to compete in the European IBJJF's. Really honored to be asked.

I'd say small classes and big classes have their pros and cons.

Small:

- Smaller so you get more attention from the teacher while drilling a move.
- It's smaller so you get used to peoples styles really fast, which is also a negative in a way because you might get too used to rolling with the same people.
- tighter knit and easier to make friends
- Smaller classes usually have less women which is a negative for me sometimes.
- If someone decides to not show up, you're going to have an uneven class, and someone (which may be you) will end up drilling in threes, which will cut down on your drill time and make it harder to learn.

Big:

- More diversity in body types, BJJ styles, and gender. So you can continuously roll with a different assortment of people each class and not grow complacent.
- It's easier to get lost in the shuffle.
- On the other hand, if you're struggling with a drill or a group near you are struggling with a drill they (or you) can come over and give a tip. Much harder to do this during a smaller class because people tend to be further apart.
- Larger classes tend lack space depending on the set up. I love the freedom of feeling like I have a large amount of the mat between me and my sparring partner and sometimes big classes are just way too big and it's like rolling in a phone booth.

I'm not sure which I prefer.

Congrats on the class teaching assignment. I can't imagine that kind of pressure but then again, we all have to step up eventually in some form or another.

I'm preparing to buy my first set of Gi's. I'm leaning towards a white Fuji All Around and a blue Tatami Estilo. I've read those are both solid entry level gi's that won't aren't too expensive.

What do you all use to transport your gi's after a session? I don't have a washer/dryer at my apartment complex so I'm trying to figure out a schedule for that sort of stuff. Is it ok if a gi sits around for a day or two after use? Or is it better to wash asap after use? Do any of you just wear sandals to and fro the gym? Is it normal to wash those too when using? Or am I overthinking that part?

May order some tape to project my fingers. I'm so excited to dive into this!

I wear sandals to and from the dojo. I haven't washed them - I should, thanks for the reminder. I wash my gi immediately after every session. I'm not sure about leaving the gi in there for a two days or whatever but one day seems fine. I use a gym bag with a clean compartment and a dirty compartment.

Tip on folding your gi by the way. This way you can hold the gi by the belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i02SLBpoPFM

I'm preparing to buy my first set of Gi's. I'm leaning towards a white Fuji All Around and a blue Tatami Estilo. I've read those are both solid entry level gi's that won't aren't too expensive.

What do you all use to transport your gi's after a session? I don't have a washer/dryer at my apartment complex so I'm trying to figure out a schedule for that sort of stuff. Is it ok if a gi sits around for a day or two after use? Or is it better to wash asap after use? Do any of you just wear sandals to and fro the gym? Is it normal to wash those too when using? Or am I overthinking that part?

May order some tape to project my fingers. I'm so excited to dive into this!

Careful about leaving gis lying around for too long, they soak up nasty odours pretty quick. I try to wash them right after going to the gym but since you don't have access to a washer/dryer, consider soaking them in a bathtub with some vinegar after a session, letting them dry and then washing them when you can.

Yeah, at least hang them dirty until they dry. You never wanna have dirty workout clothes bunched up in a ball or in a bag, they need to air out to dry or the funk and mildew will grow. I do wear sandals and on a weekly basis I will wipe them down with alcohol or disinfectant wipes and in the summer months wipe them down after every time I train.

PushingButtons, which gym did you finally choose and why?

Fox318

I need a new GI.

I asked my gym if they sell gis or if they make patches but...

It would be pretty ironic if a Catch Gym had Gi patches.

I rolled 5 times today. Wow. I feel so honored to roll in front of the class to demonstrate a move today. It feels like I'm really a part of the family now. Almost been a year since I started. Hard to not feel proud about tonight.

Congrats on the stripe! Were you able to contain your excitement?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Today was a good day.

I got my first stripe

I rolled 5 times today. Wow. I feel so honored to roll in front of the class to demonstrate a move today. It feels like I'm really a part of the family now. Almost been a year since I started. Hard to not feel proud about tonight.

Congrats on the stripe! Were you able to contain your excitement?

I hope to be at both of your points one day. Congrats to you both.

Really continuing to enjoy my time. I'm still learning how to use all of my body and not expend a huge amount of energy; but I can't expect all of this to come at once.
It's my 3rd day and my first martial art

Also learned more about my instructor. I feel even more excited about continuing to learn from him.

Fox318

Thanks everyone.

Honestly the number one thing I did was just show up.

I think for the past 6 months I've been to at least 3 classes a week. Most weeks 4.

I feel like anyone can do great in grappling.

Also I had an idea that between being there for so long and competing that I would get a stripe soon but even when my coach had the stripe out I tried really hard to not think about it.

If I'm being honest I don't really care so much about the belt. I'm honestly having fun doing this and it's different than the powerlifting routine I was doing before. Only reason I don't like a white belt is that I don't think it looks good with a white gi.

Also it's fucking tough as he'll rolling with one gym member because he is a black belt in judo. Grip fighting and leg postioning for the takedown is so hard. All I can try to do is time a single leg well or pull guard (which our gym practically doesn't allow.) it's great practice to show just how important proper grip and hand movement can really take a guy down.

I truly find the art to be body positive in that given enough time your body will simply adapt to the demands and it supports a methodology that values using your body's strengths to overwhelm your opponent.

Someone made a camp for guys over 240 pounds- Everyone from all the clubs came together and we rolled, and I got my shit kicked in. Severely. I got crossfaced so bad I had a open wound on my nose from the grinding even though it was his rashguard. My face was swolen.
One guy in particularly subbed me 20-30 times. He had had spend months with Renzo and Marcelo. He really fucked me up.
Peruvian neck ties, brabo, darces and general headlock control. It negated my entire game and I was just trying to survive.
I've done recently in my own gym, but the world is another when you step outside. Goddamn. My shoulders are tense, and I have elbow pains. I cannot do a push up. It just hurts so bad. I look like a wacky flailing tube man when I roll. xD

Rolling with instructor today we got talking about that maybe it's time I change my game. Stop doing the iverted stuff- It's really hard for the neck when someone that heavy is doing it- I don't know how guys like Cyborg do it. It's just so hard to be a bottom guy when they have that kind of weight- Even if that is my own weight too.
My new instructor is crazy good. We do all these yoga poses. I like it a lot. Astangha type poses. I think I'll sub to that BJJforYoga ( https://www.yogaforbjj.net/ ) as it makes sense to me to try and get strength that minimizes the potential damage.

Sounds absolutely brutal Walrus. I'd take a class off after that.

What are some must see BJJ matches on YouTube so I can study them?
both Marcelo Garcia and the Mendes Bros post vids of famous grapplers who drop in to roll with them. Off the top of my head, try Marcelo Garcia vs Cobrinha, and Rafael Mendes vs Luke Rockhold. Don't know how much you can study if your game isn't like theirs but those rolls are entertaining.

Someone made a camp for guys over 240 pounds- Everyone from all the clubs came together and we rolled, and I got my shit kicked in. Severely. I got crossfaced so bad I had a open wound on my nose from the grinding even though it was his rashguard. My face was swolen.
One guy in particularly subbed me 20-30 times. He had had spend months with Renzo and Marcelo. He really fucked me up.
Peruvian neck ties, brabo, darces and general headlock control. It negated my entire game and I was just trying to survive.
I've done recently in my own gym, but the world is another when you step outside. Goddamn. My shoulders are tense, and I have elbow pains. I cannot do a push up. It just hurts so bad. I look like a wacky flailing tube man when I roll. xD

Rolling with instructor today we got talking about that maybe it's time I change my game. Stop doing the iverted stuff- It's really hard for the neck when someone that heavy is doing it- I don't know how guys like Cyborg do it. It's just so hard to be a bottom guy when they have that kind of weight- Even if that is my own weight too.
My new instructor is crazy good. We do all these yoga poses. I like it a lot. Astangha type poses. I think I'll sub to that BJJforYoga ( https://www.yogaforbjj.net/ ) as it makes sense to me to try and get strength that minimizes the potential damage.

That sounds fucking nuts!

I missed class this week. No real reason, I had my gear with me but at the last second I was just like "you know what, I don't feel like getting bashed tonight" lol. Only thing is I cant go tomorrow night cause I have to go view a house. If I can ill make open mat on Friday. Cause December is gonna be rough, probably wont get a lot of classes in at all. So I don't want to miss too much while I can avoid it.

Sounds absolutely brutal Walrus. I'd take a class off after that.

What are some must see BJJ matches on YouTube so I can study them?

Certainly one of my favorites.

http://youtu.be/0TuPCGIZI78

And another although it has no sound.

http://youtu.be/47xWpBGd13U

Yeah! I took a week off! My neck just wasn't right after that! it's good to have this thread to let it all out:p

Favorite matches;

Roger and Jacare had a rivalry, and when it was 2-2 (I believe) they met in 2004. Roger breaks Jacares arm by armbar, but Jacare keeps fighting and runs out of the mat to stall for time. Jacare ends up winning on points; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUYwlxHjkMA <It's still one of those things that are heavily contested; bad sportsmanship on Jacares part, perhaps, but on the other hand it is nuts that he did not give up after tearing up his arm.

Rodolfo vs Buchecha; Weirdly enough, while in MMA super heavyweight bouts the fights are often sluggish and not that interesting because the fighters gas out quickly compared to the smaller divisions, in this quarter-finale from 2012, Buchecha gets an epic win over the all-dominating Rodolfo who had torn up the division for years. While these guys are big, they move really really well; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DLFqLCFqg

Keenan vs Eduardo; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRsKCekH4_o < A slower match, but you can see how the much older Eduardo keeps reasonable well up with Keenan. It doesn't look like he is doing much, and it's not a spectator friendly match, but if you look at the small details- Like what he does with his head, how he makes his body heavy and how difficult it is for Keenan to find openings. This is not 50/50 stalling- It's his brand of "weird jiu-jitsu".
BJJ is about conserving the most energy so you have a better shot against bigger and stronger opponents. I think that Eduardo is fascinating because he is not explosive, but really creative. A survivor who is difficult to submit. He is in his mid 40s but he hangs with the adult division!

Mackenzie Vs Garcia; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J874kJdiNQ

mitchlol

Wasn't sure if this was the appropriate thread to ask questions so please disregard if I'm in the wrong thread.

I just had my first BJJ class. I've been boxing for 3+ years with a few amateur fights and have seen the guys both Gi and no Gi having lots of fun rolling around in my gym so I thought I'd give it a try. It was a lot of fun although I felt completely helpless. I enjoyed the drills at the start of the session as they were slower paced and I had someone a lot more experienced guiding me.

Once the drills were over we were paired off and basically did a handful of 7min rounds and this is where I got lost... I wasn't actually sure what I was trying to do? Boxing is simple, hit and don't get hit, but with the BJJ I just felt like I was grabbing arms/legs with no real method. When a guy flipped me over and had my leg I had no idea what to do so as I was getting choked I had to tap. One guy explained that I should keep my hands close and head up so it's harder to be pulled down but I just don't know what my objective is? I don't know submissions or anything like that so where do I start? I know when I box it is kinda rough having a new person hold pads for you so I kinda felt embarrassed that I was a bad training partner for the more experienced guys.

Can anyone offer up maybe one or two things I should focus on when I'm rolling with others?

Wasn't sure if this was the appropriate thread to ask questions so please disregard if I'm in the wrong thread.

I just had my first BJJ class. I've been boxing for 3+ years with a few amateur fights and have seen the guys both Gi and no Gi having lots of fun rolling around in my gym so I thought I'd give it a try. It was a lot of fun although I felt completely helpless. I enjoyed the drills at the start of the session as they were slower paced and I had someone a lot more experienced guiding me.

Once the drills were over we were paired off and basically did a handful of 7min rounds and this is where I got lost... I wasn't actually sure what I was trying to do? Boxing is simple, hit and don't get hit, but with the BJJ I just felt like I was grabbing arms/legs with no real method. When a guy flipped me over and had my leg I had no idea what to do so as I was getting choked I had to tap. One guy explained that I should keep my hands close and head up so it's harder to be pulled down but I just don't know what my objective is? I don't know submissions or anything like that so where do I start? I know when I box it is kinda rough having a new person hold pads for you so I kinda felt embarrassed that I was a bad training partner for the more experienced guys.

Can anyone offer up maybe one or two things I should focus on when I'm rolling with others?

1. Concentrate on working what you worked on in the drill and try (emphasis on try!) implementing it into the roll.

2. You're going to need basic defense. Keep your elbows tucked in when on the bottom to prevent/delay arm bars or kimura's, lower your head inside your neck to guard from chokes, and place your hands under their arm if they're trying to choke to create space. Learn how to do all three of these things at the same exact time. When in someone's guard do not put your hands on the mat - DO NOT. You will get that arm in a lock and you will be submitted. If you're in their guard, work on passing their guard rather than going for a submission. You will be submitted every time by someone with experience.

3. People will try to dominate you with your weight alone or think you'll tap just by being in a sloppy choke alone. Concentrate on gaining the willpower to be comfortable in an uncomfortable situation. So if someone's knee is over your belly or someone's got you in a side control, grit your teeth and deal with it and get used to that discomfort. Have willpower to try to fight it. If someone does a sloppy ass arm bar or something to you, and you can flatten your hand to slip your hand through their grip and escape like a snake, do it. If someone is using side control on you and you're having trouble keeping them off try to push them off if need be. If they keep trying to go for that position FIGHT IT as much as possible. This mindset is important because it will keep you fighting and keep you constantly learning situational awareness.

4. Keep coming and keep asking questions. Ask what you did wrong in the roll.

Go with the flow and have fun. There's so many things to learn and concentrate on that it's impossible for me to list them all here but these are good rules to start with.

Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MiyEHmqkds

If it was your first class, dont even worry about it. We all flopped around like a dead fish on our first roll. Id echo some of what Cindi said to focus on,

Keep your arms close to your sides (T-Rex style) to avoid getting armbard or Kimurad.

Keep your chin tucked low if people try and choke you.

If someone has you in their guard, your objective is to get out of it and into a better position. This sounds like obvious advice but alot of fresh newbies seem to get lsot and jsut stay in guard unti lthey get subbed without even trying to escape.

Oh and dont try and choke anyone when youre in their guard. Remeber, if youre in guard, you should be escaping, not going for sub attempts. You might get lucky against another fresh in the door white belt and choke them from in their guard, but anyone else will sweep or sub you in seconds if you shove your arms out for a choke attempt from in guard.

Fox318

That level of confusion is how I feel about any striking art.

I need to work my anxiety. Seems like at least once a month I bail on training. Once I'm in the door I'm fine, it's just sometimes getting in the door is the hardest part of training

Also.

7 minute rounds?

Yo. What?! We do three five minute rounds. Seven minute round? Wow. Are they preparing for a tournament?

I also didn't answer what your objective is. Um, as a beginner your objective is just to survive. You're going to get submitted. Do what you can and learn from the experience. Work on trying to escape even if you don't know what to do. Use the arm tuck and head tuck to delay submissions. That's a part of survival. When you do tap, ask how you got into that situation and what you did wrong. You will be filling in gaps of knowledge. Your goal right now should be to learn why you were submitted and to be submitted less and less each class. After a few months, when rolling with white belts, it will have gone from being submitted maybe 8 times a roll to once or twice. You won't be able to submit them with any consistency yet but you will in a position where you can stop them from submitting you. This is because defense should be your first priority.

Yeah, at least hang them dirty until they dry. You never wanna have dirty workout clothes bunched up in a ball or in a bag, they need to air out to dry or the funk and mildew will grow. I do wear sandals and on a weekly basis I will wipe them down with alcohol or disinfectant wipes and in the summer months wipe them down after every time I train.

PushingButtons, which gym did you finally choose and why?

I'm going to go with Legacy. I looked into a bunch of the other places that are around the Burbank/North Hollywood area and Legacy had the schedules that suited me. Plus, it's incredibly close to me.

Mitchol, I heard someone say that if striking is a science, then grappling is quantum physics.

tumblr_nkx75f2WDS1ry1rm7o1_250.gif
tumblr_nkx75f2WDS1ry1rm7o2_250.gif
tumblr_nkx75f2WDS1ry1rm7o3_250.gif
tumblr_nkx75f2WDS1ry1rm7o4_250.gif

When you do drills like this with a partner it's to train your body to be able to do things by itself. When you begin it can seem overwhelming and you think to yourself; "how can I do all these things at once?" The truth is that once you've been exposed to them enough you don't think about it. Your body moves by itself. It defends by itself. It protects itself and moves to places where you're more safe and puts you at less risk.
Often BJJ is compared with chess because everything you do with your body as an action is a reaction for your opponent. You can stick your arm out to stop an opponent. you can extend it. You can use it to distance yourself from your opponent. you can grab them to keep them away. That is your move.
But once you do that, depending on how and where you do it, your opponent will use his move. You've used your arm. That was your decision- Now he can attack your arm.

The scary truth is that the human body has 206 bones, most of which can be broken, and upon breaking them your opponent has to submit to defeat. But people will not let their bones be broken willingly, which is why we have to have dominating position. We try to find the spots where someone leaves a foot out, or stand in a way that puts them off balance, or similar, and then we capitalize and attack.
Check out these images from The Fine Arts of JiuJitsu by Mrs Emily Watts from 1906

It's interesting to think that their mechanics of how our body operates, in conjunction with physics that we can recognize technique in something that is more than 100 years old. I bet that when the Romans fought Pankreon in the Colliseum, they most likely used techniques you see today in martial arts as well. It was also a lot more violent and they'd fight to death!

In the beginning you try to survive. Surviving is winning. You try to last as long as you can before someone taps you or chokes you. You pick up on things and then you improve. You grow, and you learn to think under pressure- you learn to problem solve under pressure. Someone is stacking you while putting a knee in your stomach allowing them to take your back and rear naked choke you- what do you do? How do you solve this in this moment when you're sparring 100% and your entire body is fight or flight panic mode. That is really what makes it so amazing. that we can simulate a lot of the conditions from a real fight. Sparring is really powerful! :O)

Banglish

I posted in the traditional martial arts thread.. but this one is probably better suited!

Guys, I did my first "rolling session" last sunday... I think I'm addicted. Like for real, I had a huge dopamine rush after I left class and couldn't stop smiling. It's just an intro class once every week on sunday. We have yet to roll with classmates but we got to try to apply RNC's and move from side control to mount with the athletes that train there. So much fun. Can't wait for sunday's now.

I'm signing up for the regular session class as soon as I'm done the intro.
I think I want to get into MMA and striking later as well. Just super hyped about BJJ right now though, most fun I've had training any martial art. I feel like this is the beginning of a journey to growth - not just in the realm of martial arts but as a human as well.

I posted in the traditional martial arts thread.. but this one is probably better suited!

I'm signing up for the regular session class as soon as I'm done the intro.
I think I want to get into MMA and striking later as well. Just super hyped about BJJ right now though, most fun I've had training any martial art. I feel like this is the beginning of a journey to growth - not just in the realm of martial arts but as a human as well.

Yay:D Welcome!

These videos might be worth watching if you haven't seen them;

Roll

Jiu-Jitsu vs The World

A White Belt Story

I suggest watching Roll more than Jiu Jitsu vs The World. Roll has more of a story and controversies within the art. Like sport BJJ vs street BJJ, and the talking points between both sides. Stuff like that. It's more representative of BJJ to me than Vs The World. Vs The World is okay because it contains some insight on why some people do Jiu Jitsu but it's mostly preaching to the choir and in some cases - as much as I love BJJ - comes across as naval gazing. So I suggest watching Roll first. That's not to say Vs The World isn't worth watching, but it's worth considering when you do watch it.

I'd add this to things to watch to Walrus' list:

Invisible Force

Fox318

I've been getting a chance to roll a little bit with my coach who is a black belt latley.

Its 50% stuff so we are still able to talk and I'm not trying to over muscle anything even though he has about 30 lbs in me.

Its crazy how high the level difference can be and it's all technique.

Even when I try to sneak something different in like an achiles lock or simply just trying to defend its insane.

Frankly I think the biggest difference is the ability to properly use your legs to pass or control somebody. I'm still used to trying to bridge out or roll out in such a way to get into a better position but I've seen enough so far to know I need to think of my legs as equals to my hands.

Yeah! I took a week off! My neck just wasn't right after that! it's good to have this thread to let it all out:p

Favorite matches;

Roger and Jacare had a rivalry, and when it was 2-2 (I believe) they met in 2004. Roger breaks Jacares arm by armbar, but Jacare keeps fighting and runs out of the mat to stall for time. Jacare ends up winning on points; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUYwlxHjkMA <It's still one of those things that are heavily contested; bad sportsmanship on Jacares part, perhaps, but on the other hand it is nuts that he did not give up after tearing up his arm.

Rodolfo vs Buchecha; Weirdly enough, while in MMA super heavyweight bouts the fights are often sluggish and not that interesting because the fighters gas out quickly compared to the smaller divisions, in this quarter-finale from 2012, Buchecha gets an epic win over the all-dominating Rodolfo who had torn up the division for years. While these guys are big, they move really really well; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DLFqLCFqg

Keenan vs Eduardo; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRsKCekH4_o < A slower match, but you can see how the much older Eduardo keeps reasonable well up with Keenan. It doesn't look like he is doing much, and it's not a spectator friendly match, but if you look at the small details- Like what he does with his head, how he makes his body heavy and how difficult it is for Keenan to find openings. This is not 50/50 stalling- It's his brand of "weird jiu-jitsu".
BJJ is about conserving the most energy so you have a better shot against bigger and stronger opponents. I think that Eduardo is fascinating because he is not explosive, but really creative. A survivor who is difficult to submit. He is in his mid 40s but he hangs with the adult division!

Mackenzie Vs Garcia; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J874kJdiNQ

MacKenszie is such a total bjj heroine. Gabi Garcia too but Christ, MacKenzie!

v1oz

One little known fact is that the father of BJJ Mitsuyo Maeda wasn't just a Judo Black Belt but also a competitive Catch Wrestler. He travelled to England and fought under Catch as Can rules as Conde Korma. We also know that Maeda was a prize fighter for a time and fought many no holds barred fights. Therefore the martial art he taught in Brazil was more of a hybrid style based on his many years of fighting rather than straight Judo/Jiu-Jitsu. Which explains why in the early days of BJJ there was a lot of no-rules challenge matches, particularly against all comers from other styles, it's in the spirit of the sport.

http://snakepitusa.com/about-us/catch-wrestling-history/

A man by the name of Mitsuyo Maeda taught Carlos Gracie (older brother of Helio Gracie) to fight. What most do not know is that Maeda perfected his system competing in Catch-As-Catch-Can tournaments (as &#8220;Count Koma&#8221;) at the turn of the 20th Century. Maeda is rumored to have fought over 2,000 matches in his career and he only lost two matches one of which was in the &#8220;catch-as-catch-can&#8221; world championships held in London (he entered in both the middleweight and heavyweight divisions and advanced to the semi-finals in two weight classes)

Banglish

Yay:D Welcome!

These videos might be worth watching if you haven't seen them;

Roll

Jiu-Jitsu vs The World

A White Belt Story

I suggest watching Roll more than Jiu Jitsu vs The World. Roll has more of a story and controversies within the art. Like sport BJJ vs street BJJ, and the talking points between both sides. Stuff like that. It's more representative of BJJ to me than Vs The World. Vs The World is okay because it contains some insight on why some people do Jiu Jitsu but it's mostly preaching to the choir and in some cases - as much as I love BJJ - comes across as naval gazing. So I suggest watching Roll first. That's not to say Vs The World isn't worth watching, but it's worth considering when you do watch it.

I'd add this to things to watch to Walrus' list:

Invisible Force

Thanks for compiling this list guys! I just finished watching Roll. Super dope learning about how it came to the US, the Gracie challenge, the rivalries between clubs and how it's evolved and changed since those times. Added the others to my watch later list :)
Even more stoked for tomorrows class, thanks a lot guys I don't know if I can be productive today hahaha!

Thanks for compiling this list guys! I just finished watching Roll. Super dope learning about how it came to the US, the Gracie challenge, the rivalries between clubs and how it's evolved and changed since those times. Added the others to my watch later list :)
Even more stoked for tomorrows class, thanks a lot guys I don't know if I can be productive today hahaha!

Along with what Cindi said, here is some more videos worth checking out;

• Rolling Reflections < This I started seeing when I started, though it's an old series (over 6 years old), what it is a series where a guy called Pete travels around and rolls with high level guys as he(or them) narrates the roll. It gives you great insight into what goes through the mind of a high level black belt and what they do and how. If you find yourself "what the fuck are they doing?" this is a great series. Don't skip it even though it's old.
  • Stephan Kesting < He is a really good entry point. BJJscout and those sorts of examinations might be a bit overwhelming, but Kesting is really good at introducing bite sized ideas with regards to training, exercise, rehabilitation, self defense, and introduces new techniques. Best way to use him as a resource is if you see a technique you really like, show it to your training partners and instructor and ask if anybody wants to give you pointers. Sometimes new students come in watching crazy flash moves on youtube but they lack the details and they risk hurting themselves and their partners if everyone is not prepared.
    Kesting is really interesting because he also has videos about what sort of techniques are most prone to injuries, what to do when this or that. I just find his content useful and inoffensive and unpretentious.
  • Jason Scully < this guy is great. He makes a lot of compilation videos where you can see just a small sample of how much is impossibe. It's really overwhelming so don't sweat it. It's better you learn a few techniques, and learn them really well, rather than being mediocre at 200 different ones. There is a reason why top level guys still win with classic base techniques like guillotines, armbars and RNCs. xD Still keep him in mind!
  • Sakurabas channel < Sakuraba is actually a catch wrestler if you want to get technical, but I think everyone is missing out if they don't see his channel. Guy is an absolute legend, even in BJJ history! I couldn't have more respect for this man. It's all in Japanese but you sense his quirky humor coming through quite clearly!
  • Stuart Cooper < He travels the world and makes inspirational videos about BJJ
  • HelloJapan05 < Just some highlights that are fun and worthwhile to watch
  • Interesting MMA Facts < I've posted this before, but I this is just brilliant. Tons of lesser know facts about the early days of pride, ufc and k-1, about the golden days of Japanese in MMA. It features a lot about how things end up the way they have, and gives perspective on how BJJ fits into modern day MMA, as well as the wars between the Brazilians and the japanese fighter.
  • Rolled Up < It's a sort of travel show where this guy Jake travels the world in different gyms and sees whats up. It's quite interesting to see- But every gym and gym culture is different and various customs, styles, moves and philosophies are unique to each scene.
  • Tristar - Universal Jiu-Jitsu < Firas Zahabi (GSPs coach) has a really good mind for MMA and Jiu-Jitsu and how they connect. He makes really interesting videos about application of grappling in MMA, self defense, but he also does it in a way that feels more like he talks about concepts like "crazy legs" and using wrestling concepts in BJJ. A lot of no-gi guys swear by the Eddie Bravo school, but I suggest that Firas Zahabi gives a different perspective in the same lanes, and that is a good thing because not everybody has time for Eddies dope and chemtrails ethos.
  • GracieBreakdown < I like GracieBreakdown. I think it has done a lot for Jiu-Jitsu. We still live in a world where a lot of spectators who watch the UFC boo the fight when it goes to the ground. They feel its boring because they don't understand the techniques, but every day a lot more are learning just how insane, scary and exciting the ground game is. GracieBreakdown is really good at explaining things. They break down a lot of UFC fights but also viral street fights of people getting beat up on in the real world. Ryron is liked by most people, but Rener gets on a lot of peoples nerves because he is almost too much in his car salesmans style. And this goes regardless if he is talking about making a gracie sandwich or whatever else. There is some funny spoofs of him at least . Still I think it's a really solid channel.
  • Kurt Osiander - Move of the Week < A series where Kurt, a Ralph Gracie Belt shows you a move by also telling you that you fucked up a long time ago. He is basically a meme in BJJ culture. Metal head tattoo headbanger guy. Is a lot of fun.:)
  • Yoga for BJJ < Something I've gotten more into lately as my slew of injuries are building up. Sebastian who is a Yoga instructor and high level competitor finds out what sort of things in Yoga transition really well to BJJ. Relates to strength, injury prevention, flexibility, hip mobility, stamina, endurance, and general health related to neck, spine shoulders and so on. I'm quite impressed.
  • BJJ After Forty < Another resource I just got into. It's just really cool. Check it. You don't have to be 40 or above to enjoy it:p
  • BJJ Library < Just a great resource full of world class techniques. It's good to use if you're looking for something special. For example, if you spend the next 12-24 months just being dedicated to escapes, you can find some good escapes here. Good to examine a technique video and watch it over and over- night before class, after class.

I want some spats. Anyone know of online retailers that ship to Canada?

Just remember that Spats and Rashguards are really tight. If you are a bit overweight it might be better to go a size above:D
Personally for me, I would love to have Reversal Spats / Rashguards. They are a japanese brand that also also double as quite fashionable. I just like the branding rvddw. Their shop is Japanese, though chokesports sell some of their products as well

Banglish

Vigilant Walrus.. you are simply amazing!! :O
This is fantastic, yet at the same time terrible because I'm entering exam time but I want to dig into every single one of these now lol.

The problem I'm having with spats is that I'm actually quite skinny so I'm unsure what size to go. I'm about 5'9 and 125 pounds so I don't know if I should go extra small or small.
Damn those reversal tights are expenssiiive. I think I'll just get some cheapish plain black ones. I don't wanna get some crazy spatss trying to look like a badass.. when I'm not lol.
I just splurged on black Friday so I think those scramble ones look in my price range.

How did class go? Bjjhq ships to Canada I think?

BJJhq is sweet, but I need some spats to throw on right away and it looks like they just do a single random daily deal.

The class was AWESOME. We did our first roll today with our classmates. We took turns drilling passing guard -> side control -> mount -> bottom reverses -> back in guard.
Not sure what that sequence is called, but continually went back and forth which felt great. At the end we did some real time sparring er rolling.
We had to break guard and get to mount and on the bottom keep guard. I was going with a guy about 140-150ish so I was unsure if I would be effective at all against him but I just kept trying to keep applying to all the details I could remember and I reversed him!! Felt so good dude.. haha
He was quite strong so it was hard to keep him in my guard but I think with time I'll be able to keep someone there! Breaking guard was also fun! Once I passed one leg I slowly slithered my other leg out hehe. Perks of having sticks for legs. We're learning triangles next class. :D

One little known fact is that the father of BJJ Mitsuyo Maeda wasn't just a Judo Black Belt but also a competitive Catch Wrestler. He travelled to England and fought under Catch as Can rules as Conde Korma. We also know that Maeda was a prize fighter for a time and fought many no holds barred fights. Therefore the martial art he taught in Brazil was more of a hybrid style based on his many years of fighting rather than straight Judo/Jiu-Jitsu. Which explains why in the early days of BJJ there was a lot of no-rules challenge matches, particularly against all comers from other styles, it's in the spirit of the sport.

http://snakepitusa.com/about-us/catch-wrestling-history/

Forgot to respond earlier but this is an amazing find and adds to the BJJ history thing. What a fascinating art. Not only did Conde apparently have catch experience, he also had experience with the original Jiu Jitsu (non-Judo). He seems to have trained in multiple disciplines. Shame we don't know more about him.

Vigilant Walrus.. you are simply amazing!! :O
This is fantastic, yet at the same time terrible because I'm entering exam time but I want to dig into every single one of these now lol.

The problem I'm having with spats is that I'm actually quite skinny so I'm unsure what size to go. I'm about 5'9 and 125 pounds so I don't know if I should go extra small or small.
Damn those reversal tights are expenssiiive. I think I'll just get some cheapish plain black ones. I don't wanna get some crazy spatss trying to look like a badass.. when I'm not lol.
I just splurged on black Friday so I think those scramble ones look in my price range.

BJJhq is sweet, but I need some spats to throw on right away and it looks like they just do a single random daily deal.

The class was AWESOME. We did our first roll today with our classmates. We took turns drilling passing guard -> side control -> mount -> bottom reverses -> back in guard.
Not sure what that sequence is called, but continually went back and forth which felt great. At the end we did some real time sparring er rolling.
We had to break guard and get to mount and on the bottom keep guard. I was going with a guy about 140-150ish so I was unsure if I would be effective at all against him but I just kept trying to keep applying to all the details I could remember and I reversed him!! Felt so good dude.. haha
He was quite strong so it was hard to keep him in my guard but I think with time I'll be able to keep someone there! Breaking guard was also fun! Once I passed one leg I slowly slithered my other leg out hehe. Perks of having sticks for legs. We're learning triangles next class. :D

Do you NEED spats? Like I told PushingButtons, you don't NEED rashguard. You can just use any old compression shirt. Similarly, you don't NEED spats. You can just put on gym shorts under your gi.

As for the class, sounds really productive. Isn't it amazing seeing the difference between drilling a move and actually sparring with it while the two of you apply resistance?

Banglish

Do you NEED spats? Like I told PushingButtons, you don't NEED rashguard. You can just use any old compression shirt. Similarly, you don't NEED spats. You can just put on gym shorts under your gi.

As for the class, sounds really productive. Isn't it amazing seeing the difference between drilling a move and actually sparring with it while the two of you apply resistance?

This is actually a no gi class and I've been wearing some compression tights by UA but the knees didn't hold up past 2 classes surprisingly so I think investing in some spats is worthwhile in the long run. I think I'll be doing this for a while :)

I think I'm falling in love with this. You know, I've wrestled my friends before and gotten into a couple fights here and there in my younger days so I've felt the feeling of fully applying yourself against someone - or so I thought. When you and your opponent are both consciously trying to defend eachothers passes/limbs, counter-act weight/balance, trying to think a move ahead .. completely different ball game!!

This is actually a no gi class and I've been wearing some compression tights by UA but the knees didn't hold up past 2 classes surprisingly so I think investing in some spats is worthwhile in the long run. I think I'll be doing this for a while :)

I think I'm falling in love with this. You know, I've wrestled my friends before and gotten into a couple fights here and there in my younger days so I've felt the feeling of fully applying yourself against someone - or so I thought. When you and your opponent are both consciously trying to defend eachothers passes/limbs, counter-act weight/balance, trying to think a move ahead .. completely different ball game!!

Ohhh okay. Have at it!

And yes, it's a totally different ball game!

Top Bottom