• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Casting, Pre-production, Post-production News And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Dabookerman said:
It was only split into three because you know.. people would complain about it being too long.

They'd also complain about the second and third acts being terrible in relation to the first if that was the case.

GCX

Solo said:
They'd also complain about the second and third acts being terrible in relation to the first if that was the case.
Fellowship is cool and all but let's not go overboard here.

Solo said:

Oh yes. Terrible. Perfect word to describe the second and third acts in any context. God what were people thinking. The majority of people who saw them must have been outright stoned to have loved them.

Dan said:
The current plan is for The Hobbit to be spread across two films, filled in with other source material. It's definitely no longer going to be The Hobbit and a LOTR bridge film. That was scrapped sometime around Guillermo del Toro coming on board, IIRC.
Oh OK good, that's kind of what I thought but then I couldn't find anything to back it up.

Solo

GCX said:
Fellowship is cool and all but let's not go overboard here.

Dabookerman said:
Oh yes. Terrible. Perfect word to describe the second and third acts in any context. God what were people thinking. The majority of people who saw them must have been outright stoned to have loved them.

Reading comprehenson FTL. I didnt call TTT and ROTK terrible. I called them terrible relative to FOTR.

I'm going to go with Solo on this one. I don't care what Rotten Tomatoes' top critics say, bottom line is I didn't think the 2nd two movies were anywhere near as good as the first.

Fellowship is one of my favorite movies. The other two are just alright.

If Jackson does wind up directing this it's probably for the best now that Guillermo is gone. Still, I'm mostly indifferent on this movie.

Amir0x

Banned
Solo said:
TTT and ROTK already make LOTR unable to be the best trilogy ever.

Please. I'm not going to play any games with your tastes here, because frankly I don't care about people with bad taste.

For me...

The Godfather trilogy has two of the greatest movies ever made in it, but the third movie is completely bust. Star Wars is fucking terrible. Indiana Jones is amazing, but it's no longer a trilogy - it's a quadrilogy, and the fourth movie was atrocious. Back to the Future is a classic, and one of the better trilogies... but not quite LOTR's consistent high marks.

As a trilogy, LOTR is the best.

Amir0x said:
Please. I'm not going to play any games with your tastes here, because frankly I don't care about people with bad taste.

For me...

The Godfather trilogy has two of the greatest movies ever made in it, but the third movie is completely bust. Star Wars is fucking terrible. Indiana Jones is amazing, but it's no longer a trilogy - it's a quadrilogy, and the fourth movie was atrocious. Back to the Future is a classic, and one of the better trilogies... but not quite LOTR's consistent high marks.

As a trilogy, LOTR is the best.
I think we can add Toy Story to the list of great trilogies now.

Amir0x

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
I think we can add Toy Story to the list of great trilogies now.

Hm, yeah you're right. Too early to know where I feel it should go on the list of great trilogies but now that I think about it... i actually might feel Toy Story might overall be a bit better.

Hm, gotta watch them all back-to-back sometime and see how I feel.

jett

D-Member
Solo said:

Indeed, FOTR is so much better than the other two it's ridiculous. TTT was one of the if not the biggest cinematic disappointment I've had. I was completely indifferent to ROTK.

Amir0x

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't think it's the best trilogy ever, due to the Three Colours Trilogy and The Vengenace Trilogy both being better in my eyes, but all three LOTR films are about the same level of quality I think. ROTK is a bit weaker at the end because it just doesn't want to stop, but other than that I'd find it hard to order them.

VengeanceTrilogy.jpg

^ I like both "trilogies" a lot. However, I am talking specifically about trilogies which are directly related in story, not just in theme. Even though I'd say LOTR trilogy is easily better than Vengeance Trilogy, considering one of the films is mediocre at best and the other is only merely good, not great. Old Boy is just straight up great though imo.

Fellowship of the Ring is clearly the best of the three films, but all are spectacular. The Two Towers and ROTK simply don't work on their own, and they're not supposed to - they're form fitted for all three movies being one. It's amazingly consistent trilogy. People who think The Two Towers and Return of the King represented some huge dip in quality are entitled to their opinion, despite being batshit insane. The acting, writing, directing are all the same high quality. ROTK and TTT have some editing issues, clearly. But they're all the highest possible calibre for a movie trilogy.

mello

I'm still pretty damn upset that we'll no longer see Guillermo directing, I think it would have been a fantastic experience to see his vision carry through to what Jackson started. He really has a unique take on the fantasy genre, and we'll no longer get to see what he would have done with The Hobbit. While I think Jackson taking over is fantastic news, and assurance of a great feature film, it won't stretch far from what he accomplished with LotR.

On the topic of best trilogy, there really cannot be no arguing with the TRUE fact; LotR is the best film trilogy ever made. It's the most consistent, and I think the majority of other great film trilogies lack this in some respects.

mello said:
I'm still pretty damn upset that we'll no longer see Guillermo directing, I think it would have been a fantastic experience to see his vision carry through to what Jackson started. He really has a unique take on the fantasy genre, and we'll no longer get to see what he would have done with The Hobbit. While I think Jackson taking over is fantastic news, and assurance of a great feature film, it won't stretch far from what he accomplished with LotR.

On the topic of best trilogy, there really cannot be no arguing with the TRUE fact; LotR is the best film trilogy ever made. It's the most consistent, and I think the majority of other great film trilogies lack this in some respects.
I figure well see a lot of DelToro come through in the script and art direction; since that was pretty much done. After all they were just waiting on the studio problems to end to begin shooting.

mello

Nazgul_Hunter said:
I figure well see a lot of DelToro come through in the script and art direction; since that was pretty much done. After all they were just waiting on the studio problems to end to begin shooting.

There is the 20mins interview up from a few days ago where Guillermo discusses the possibility of someone else uses his work once the studio finds a new director. He said it's possible and it's up to them. If it really is Jackson then most of the work Guillermo has done might possibly be in the film, but we don't really know what the terms of his contract will be.

agrajag

Banned
jett said:
Indeed, FOTR is so much better than the other two it's ridiculous. TTT was one of the if not the biggest cinematic disappointment I've had. I was completely indifferent to ROTK.

This. TTT and ROTK were both on the same level for me, but my expectations for ROTK were brought down by TTT so I wasn't as disappointed when I saw it.

thefro

Will be interesting where they decide to split the thing up, because there's not a good break point in the book like in the LOTR. Maybe after they get to the Lonely Mountain would work... you can blow up the stuff with the Wood Elves and have Gandalf doing some shit at the same time that's exciting.

Amir0x said:
VengeanceTrilogy.jpg

^ I like both "trilogies" a lot. However, I am talking specifically about trilogies which are directly related in story, not just in theme. Even though I'd say LOTR trilogy is easily better than Vengeance Trilogy, considering one of the films is mediocre at best and the other is only merely good, not great. Old Boy is just straight up great though imo.

Fellowship of the Ring is clearly the best of the three films, but all are spectacular. The Two Towers and ROTK simply don't work on their own, and they're not supposed to - they're form fitted for all three movies being one. It's amazingly consistent trilogy. People who think The Two Towers and Return of the King represented some huge dip in quality are entitled to their opinion, despite being batshit insane. The acting, writing, directing are all the same high quality. ROTK and TTT have some editing issues, clearly. But they're all the highest possible calibre for a movie trilogy.
I'd probably consider Oldboy the weakest. :p I linked to them just because they're not really mainstream films, btw. I wasn't trying to seem elitist or anything. :)

I think Two Towers is my favourite of the trilogy just because it's when everything has gone to shit. The battle of Helms Deep is perhaps one of the best scenes in film history for me, because of the triumph I felt after they had overcome all of the odds.

Branduil

TTT and ROTK are only problematic when you watch the theatrical versions. The Director's cuts allow their true quality to shine and eliminate most of the issues present in the shorter cuts.

GCX

The extended edition of Two Towers made its pacing a lot more fluid somehow. I think it benefited the most from the extra scenes.

I'm not really sure if I prefer the theater or extended cut of ROTK.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Branduil said:
TTT and ROTK are only problematic when you watch the theatrical versions. The Director's cuts allow their true quality to shine and eliminate most of the issues present in the shorter cuts.
This. Unless you've seen the definitive version of each film, it really make no sense to criticize the movies as a whole.

Wtf at the hate for The Two Towers. The introduction of Gollum alone not to mention the scene where Gandalf and the Rohirrim ride down to Helms Deep make that film soooooo boss.

I think at the time I actually liked it more than Fellowship. But now my rankings are 1>2>3.

All 3 were great though, with the only real fault of the third being it's final 20 or so minutes and those lame Ghosts.

Still stands as the best trilogy of all time for me. With the Three Colours one just behind. I would put Godfather above all of these but the Third One was just such shit (apart from the fantastic ending).

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Fellowship is the best, but let's not get crazy now.

TTT only had two big problems in my book, the first 30 minutes or so weren't paced very well and the Ents stuff really dragged. The Extended Edition fixed the pacing problem beautifully and didn't really add any new Ent scenes so it's by far the superior version of the film and a damn good movie to boot. The EE also added the scene with Boromir at Osgiliath, so major points for that.

The RotK EE is also the better version, if only for making Frodo and Sam's journey through Mordor a lot more interesting. The film has a ton of great moments, everything that happens at Pelennor Fields is awesome (from the Witch-King to the siege of Minas Tirith and the ride of the rohirrim), Minas Morgul is perfect, everything with Gollum is great (especially that final scene in Mt. Doom), the lighting of the beacons is one of the best scenes in the entire trilogy, Denethor and Faramir's story is awesome and on and on. People tend to only remember the green ghost stuff and the multiple endings, they forget the vast majority of the film is pretty great.

Link Man

Banned
thefro said:
Will be interesting where they decide to split the thing up, because there's not a good break point in the book like in the LOTR. Maybe after they get to the Lonely Mountain would work... you can blow up the stuff with the Wood Elves and have Gandalf doing some shit at the same time that's exciting.
I would think that the most obvious place would be at Beorn's house, but I've been wrong before.

Or they could end the first movie with the company's entrance into Laketown, ending on a shot of the Lonely Mountain with smoke pouring from its entrance.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Branduil said:
Nope. Strider's still kissing his horse, there are still elves at Helm's Deep, the Ents are still morons, and Denethor's still completely mis-characterized.

Salazar

I am so glad Jeff Smith refused to let Nickelodeon make a Bone film.

According to Smith, Nickelodeon saw the story strictly as children's entertainment, and insisted that the Bone characters be voiced by child actors and that the film had to include pop songs by the likes of Britney Spears and N'Sync.

Cautionary fucking tale, right there.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Freshmaker said:
Nope. Strider's still kissing his horse, there are still elves at Helm's Deep, the Ents are still morons, and Denethor's still completely mis-characterized.
And Peter Jackson still can't resist swooping and swirling the camera through the sky in every third shot.

It seems like the Hobbit is back in the news again. Unfortunately, it's not good news.

According to Variety the FIA (international federation of actors) is seeking to take advantage of the imminent production of the Hobbit as an opportunity to force unionization of actors/actresses in New Zealand. They're calling for all unionized actors to boycott the film in support of their 'abused' brethren in NZ.

On the bright side however, considering the timing of this move, and the recent news that PJ is making talent scouting trips for the movie, it seems like production is FINALLY about to be green-lit. I just hope Spyglass or the NZ government can broker a quick deal with the SAG and FIA to get things moving.

LegendofJoe said:
It seems like the Hobbit is back in the news again. Unfortunately, it's not good news.

According to Variety the FIA (international federation of actors) is seeking to take advantage of the imminent production of the Hobbit as an opportunity to force unionization of actors/actresses in New Zealand. They're calling for all unionized actors to boycott the film in support of their 'abused' brethren in NZ.

On the bright side however, considering the timing of this move, and the recent news that PJ is making talent scouting trips for the movie, it seems like production is FINALLY about to be green-lit. I just hope Spyglass or the NZ government can broker a quick deal with the SAG and FIA to get things moving.
Yeah. read about that. Here is more.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/sag-aftra-target-non-union-the-hobbit/#more-70133

Deadline said:
A "Member Alert" went out yesterday afternoon from the Screen Actors Guild advising actors not to accept work on the non-union production of The Hobbit. (See below.) It's part of an international showbiz labor effort begun by New Zealand Actors' Equity and its umbrella The Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance headquartered in Australia to go public with a campaign confronting Peter Jackson, the director and producer of the long planned and high profile back-to-back Hobbit movies and filmmakers Three Foot Seven, MGM, and Warner Brothers. NZ Actors' Equity is calling a meeting of actors on Tuesday to bring The Hobbit filmmakers to the negotiating table for a contract providing minimum guarantees on wages and working conditions, residual payments, and cancellation payments to actors engaged on the production. Now, the International Federation of Actors (FIA) is supporting the NZ Equity/MEAA campaign, and last month issued letters to The Hobbit production company Three Foot Seven, Warner Brothers, and MGM seeking a union-negotiated contract to cover all performers on the production. That's why SAG and AFTRA are now involved as well as Actors' Equity, Equity (UK), and equivalent organisations in Australia, Canada and South Africa.

Equity has been trying since 2006 to negotiate minimum guarantees contracts across the film and television industries in New Zealand, but can't get that country's producers organisation SPADA to take part in talks. SPADA says it did agree to a meeting skedded 18 months ago, but nixed an Equity condition that reaching a collective agreement was a requirement for the discussions.

Yesterday afternoon, Three Foot Seven's lawyers issued this statement: "3 Foot 7 has received legal advice that it is not lawful under New Zealand law for 3 Foot 7 to engage in collective bargaining with MEAA or any other labour organisation, regarding performers who are independent contractors. Under the New Zealand Commerce Act it would be unlawful to engage with an Australian union on these matters."

What happens next is anybody's guess. But news reports say Three Foot Seven has been trying to resolve the situation behind closed doors and is pissed it's now being played out internationally.

Branduil said:
The unions=Smaug.

Reminds me of a quote from Bilbo in the book, "I'm Mr. Bilbo Baggins, I've lost my dwarves, my wizard and my way." But seriously screw the FIA for further delaying this movie, it's been troubled enough already.

Dead

well not really...yet
Long response by Peter Jackson himself

http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/pet...r-action-grab-for-power-by-aussie-bully-boys/

He makes a thinly veiled threat about moving production to Eastern Europe

I can't see beyond the ugly spectre of an Australian bully-boy, using what he perceives as his weak Kiwi cousins to gain a foothold in this country's film industry. They want greater membership, since they get to increase their bank balance.

The conspiracy theories are numerous, so take your pick: We have done better in recent years, with attracting overseas movies -- and the Australians would like a greater slice of the pie, which begins with them using The Hobbit to gain control of our film industry. There is a twisted logic to seeing NZ humiliated on the world stage, by losing the Hobbit to Eastern Europe. Warners would take a financial hit that would cause other studios to steer clear of New Zealand.

-- Seriously, if the Hobbit goes east (Eastern Europe in fact) -- look forward to a long dry big budget movie drought in this country.

They need to shitcan these movies imo. Its nothing but a clusterfuck.

Ugh. This is just getting worse.

As much as I hate to say it, they should just can these movies before it becomes the Duke Nukem Forever of Hollywood.

PhoncipleBone said:
Ugh. This is just getting worse.

As much as I hate to say it, they should just can these movies before it becomes the Duke Nukem Forever of Hollywood.

The Hobbit will be made somehow or another, it's guaranteed money with Jackson and crew on board. With global box office receipts, DVD/Bluray sales, and merchandising it's likely to gross over a billion dollars; there's too much money to be made for this movie to be canned.

As an Aussie I would like to echo Jackson's hatred of the Australian film industry. Bunch of fuckups running our country's film commission.

TheFury

Damn you, Australia. These have been my most anticipated movies since they were first announced. If all this waiting leads to nothing I'll rage.

Dead

well not really...yet
If it ever came to shooting the movie outside NZ, they might as well not even bother to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom