• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

So I just found out that I'll actually be getting 48fps 3D screenings here. I guess I have to watch this movie now, even if I don't care for it. :(

suedester

Banned
Just got tickets to the HFR screening in Oxford. First showing on the 13th. Going on my own so no one can distract me from the serious business ahead.

We already did the listings in this thread but TTT is nothing to scoff at when it comes to great moments.

-Gandalf vs Balrog
-Gandalf the White
-''Sam went with him''
-Theodens release/funeral
-Boromir at Osgiliath
-''There will be no dawn for men'' ;'(
-Elves arrive at Helms Deep
-Last march of the ents
-Gandalf and Eomer arrive at Helms Deep
-Sams speech

I'd throw in Treebeard's reveal as well, that was pretty cool.

I really don't get why TTT gets second class status for some people.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
There is no extra charge for HFR, but yeah 3D will give it a boost for sure.

Maybe not specifically, but I'd bet that at most theatres, if you want to see the HFR release, you'll need to pony up for the Imax/Imax 3D/3D release, as the other screens won't have HFR. At least at my local theatres, the only showings I'm seeing for the HFR are on Imax 3D and RealD 3D screens. So while there is technically no extra charge for HFR, you likely will have to pay for Imax/3D if you want to see the HFR.

Ainaurdur

There is no extra charge for HFR, but yeah 3D will give it a boost for sure.

No "extra charge for HFR". Except for the convenient fact that most theatres I have been to in the US charge more for the rooms with updated projectors and sound systems. That plus the 3D charge makes the HFR tickets the most expensive at the theatre.

Chris R

Trying to decide if I want to deal with the full theater and insane waiting in line for a midnight Thursday showing or if I'll just go to a Saturday morning showing :| same price since it is "IMAX" 3D HFR

For the last goddamn time. IMAX theatres can't play HFR versions of the film. Somebody sticky this fact somewhere.

Not referring to The two posts above me.

duckroll

For the last goddamn time. IMAX theatres can't play HFR versions of the film. Somebody sticky this fact somewhere.

Honestly, I don't think most people know the difference between IMAX film theatres and Digital IMAX theatres... nor do they care probably. Especially since that's how IMAX seems to prefer marketing their brand these days. Can't you blame anyone?

Chili

Seems like a weird decision. You'd think they sell a lot more Hobbit tickets there...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm quite disappointed, wanted to see this in HFR and Dolby Atmos and this seemed like the only option for me.

Edit: They are co-hosting the Premiere with the Odeon next door and must have some sort of 'agreement' with them that Odeon would show The Hobbit exclusively. But they don't have Dolby Atmos. Ugh, this whole thing is getting annoying.

Honestly, I don't think most people know the difference between IMAX film theatres and Digital IMAX theatres... nor do they care probably.

All I know is that my local theatre charges more for an "Imax" showing (yes, it's Digital Imax) than they do for a regular showing. It's about double the price. That was the relevant portion of the discussion.

I've been to real Imax theatres before, so I do know the difference, it just wasn't relevant to our discussion on box office receipts. But apparently some film nerds get totally bent out of shape over trivial matters.

Manchester printworks is a real IMAX theatre and they're doing the 3D HFR "IMAX" screening. I'm guessing they have a different projector. Which is why I find it weird that bfi aren't doing a HFR showing.

Chili

Manchester printworks is a real IMAX theatre and they're doing the 3D HFR "IMAX" screening. I'm guessing they have a different projector. Which is why I find it weird that bfi aren't doing a HFR showing.

The BFI has an alternate projector as well if I recall but they must be choosing to show the actual IMAX format production over the HFR. I guess that makes sense since they are an IMAX theatre first and foremost and sold all the tickets on the basis that they would be showing the IMAX edition. Still, I would watch the non-IMAX HFR on that screen if they offered the option.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
More Odeon HFR 3D locations added.

Bath
Belfast
Birmingham Broadway Plaza
Blackpool
Bournemouth ODEON
Braehead
Brighton
Cardiff
Chelmsford
Dundee (Douglas Field)
Dunfermline
Glasgow Quay
Greenwich
Guildford
Hatfield
Huddersfield
Kensington
Kettering
Kingston
Leicester Square
Lincoln
Liverpool One
Manchester Printworks
Marble Arch
Metrocentre
Norwich
Oxford Magdalen St
Silverlink
Southampton
Surrey Quays
Taunton
Trafford Centre
Tunbridge Wells
Uxbridge
Whiteleys - The Lounge
Wimbledon
Wrexham Eagles Meadow

jett

D-Member
Don't mean too sound too negative, but I've always found surround sound in movie theaters to be mostly worthless. I really wonder if this Atmos crap is worth the hype.

duckroll

Don't mean too sound too negative, but I've always found surround sound in movie theaters to be mostly worthless. I really wonder if this Atmos crap is worth the hype.

I made a thread about it and no one really cares, so I would say the general public agrees with the sentiment that audio = meh. Lol.

Edmond, this was you wasn't it?

obWtc.jpg

On their facebook BFI said they don't know yet if they will be showing HFR or not.

-griffy-

Banned
I made a thread about it and no one really cares, so I would say the general public agrees with the sentiment that audio = meh. Lol.

I wouldn't say that most people are "meh," just that most people take audio for granted. It's one of those things where if it's good people don't really notice it, since it seems like it all belongs to what is happening on screen and fits the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom