• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies – Official Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I like how the battle of the five armies is like five pages at the end of novel is being stretched in to its own movie.
To be fair, all the contacts and lure of the books to be pulled in and turned into movies depending on which sections were reading. I see no problem with having the latter part of the book as a movie because as a fan of the books I just can't get enough of more movie time that keeps me in that world. Yes you could probably convince the movies into two or even one but I like all the little nuance and stuff added with the fact that it turned into a trilogy.

Dommo

Not really a fair or apt comparison

Wait how is that not a fair comparison? That seems like just about the fairest comparison one could make. He's taking designs across two films, both directed by the same man, both set in the same universe, set a close 50 years apart, both the same race of creature and both serving as the same "expendable baddy." The only thing that wouldn't be fair is that the two films have slightly different tones (and this is what is ultimately being argued in the comparison - 'why the change in tone?') but they're still quite clearly directly comparable. If you can't compare these two designs, what the hell can you compare?

The previous two movies left me completely cold.

I get that it's for the monies, but they really didn't need to stretch it out into a trilogy.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
This looks like hot shit boiled.

I can't wait for the trilogy to be cut down into 1 film.

Should be epic.

The film isn't finished yet, even the cinema release won't be the final version.

The last two films got significant tune ups when released on VHS.

Daaaayum

You liked the first one that much?

Don't get me wrong: it was a fairly good film, but it had some really bad scenes that drag it down from "fantastic", for me at least.

Desolation was solid from start to finish though.
I enjoyed the first one that much. And the second one as well. And I've read the book, both long ago and again after seeing the first film. So, yes, those people exist.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Higgins113 said:
"Leave Sauron to me"
Jesus Christ, Jackson must be rolling in his grave.
Assuming you meant Tolkien - why?
He was the one Istari that actually wanted to confront Sauron directly if he felt he had the upper hand (
and only helped driving him out of Dol Guldur because he believed it would help him find the ring
).

Slevin

I enjoyed the first one that much. And the second one as well. And I've read the book, both long ago and again after seeing the first film. So, yes, those people exist.

I'm one of them too. Read The Hobbit many times when I was young and it remains one of my favorite books. Absolutely loved the first and second films and looking forward to the third of course.

I can totally understand why people are unhappy though. I'm just so glad to still be experiencing Middle Earth.

Wow, you guys are treating this as if it's one of the worst trilogies in cinema history or something.

The Hobbit trilogy is an extremely solid and competent blockbuster with many outstanding scenes. It doesn't even compare to things like Batman Forever, The Phantom Menace, Transformers, Crystal Skull, etc. Definitely on par with at least MCU movies. Are you sure it's not the comparison to LOTR that makes you view them as so bad?

Wow, you guys are treating this as if it's one of the worst trilogies in cinema history or something.

The Hobbit trilogy is an extremely solid and competent blockbuster with many outstanding scenes. It doesn't even compare to things like Batman Forever, The Phantom Menace, Transformers, Crystal Skull, etc. Definitely on par with at least MCU movies. Are you sure it's not the comparison to LOTR that makes you view them as so bad?

Of course that's what it is. Look at the ratings for these movies and that should be enough to tell you. They are good movies, just not on par with LOTR as you have said...

boiled goose

good with gravy

To me the movies are OK on their own... the main issue is that they sometimes ruin parts of the original trilogy.

To me the movies are OK on their own... the main issue is that they sometimes ruin parts of the original trilogy.

You are right about that. To me, the movies are good, but could have been great. There are many great parts in the movies, but then also quite a few terrible parts which drag the movie down I find. Very inconsistent in terms of quality (from technical to acting to dialogue etc..). Because of this, I actually feel as if the movies can still be great just from some good editing.

Jado

Banned
The Hobbit movies are not on par with the best of MCU. Don't be ridiculous.

The first one was flawed and not as good as expected, but still had potential and set a nice tone. It had a number of shining moments made us think the trilogy was headed in a generally good direction. DoS is just a big, irredeemable mess ranging from mediocre to terrible. It combined and expanded the fleeting worst aspects of LOTR (Legolas BS, awful CG) and made it into a whole movie. I think the only genuinely good parts were the confrontation with Thranduil and Bilbo talking with the dragon.

The trilogy so far is also brimming with what can only be described as the filler junk you'd see in anime -- which makes sense given the absurd translation of the slim source material to three long movies. That may may describe it well:

The Filler Trilogy.

Chococat

The trailer for the 5 armies looks promising- I just hope it delivers some emotional impact that I felt have been missing from the first two films. I agree with who ever said Lee Pace may be able to save this movie LOL.

I'm not Tolkien purist by any stretch, but the last two I feel Jackson drop the ball on the character development and went for pure spectacle. There are so many remember-able, quiet, yet touching scenes for the LOTR trilogy between individuals- I am sad that the only one that sticks out from the Hobbit films so far is after Bilbo kills the baby spider to get the ring back is the moment of crazy, followed by what is wrong with me look.

I want to like these movies. I hoping BotFA can retroactively make AUJ and DoS better.

The trailer for the 5 armies looks promising- I just hope it delivers some emotional impact that I felt have been missing from the first two films. I agree with who ever said Lee Pace may be able to save this movie LOL.

I'm not Tolkien purist by any stretch, but the last two I feel Jackson drop the ball on the character development and went for pure spectacle. There are so many remember-able, quiet, yet touching scenes for the LOTR trilogy between individuals- I am sad that the only one that sticks out from the Hobbit films so far is after Bilbo kills the baby spider to get the ring back is the moment of crazy, followed by what is wrong with me look.

I want to like these movies. I hoping BotFA can retroactively make AUJ and DoS better.

I liked a few parts from AUJ. The part where Bilbo's about to leave and head back to Rivendale when everyone's sleeping, and Bofur tries to talk him out of it. Then the part after they escape the goblins, where the dwarves ask him why he came back, and he says something along the lines of, "Because I have a home, and you don't. And I want to help you get your home back, if I can." And the part after the eagles save them, with Thorin's, "I've never been so wrong in my life," and he gives Bilbo a big hug.

Lemaitre

Banned
After watching part II I felt pretty insulted by what was presented to me. I'm not a fan of the CG, and it looks pretty awful for a big budget film. I thought the dragon in part II was awful, and so was all that CG gold.

Wasn't a fan of The Matrix part II ending either. The fact that people are eating this up so much is a testament to their love of Tolkein's work, and little else.

Zoon

I am really sad that they changed how the goblins look.I really really liked that pure evil creatures from FOTR compared to those in AUJ that look like the kind of monster that would steal your underwear in a Harry Potter movie.
EDIT: Comparison
a-goblin-in-lord-of-the-rings.jpg

Goblins_High_Pass.jpg

Aaron

The problem with the Hobbit movies is they are some of the more boring cinema I've ever watched, and considering they have monsters and huge battles that's really saying something. While the LotR trilogy could drag in spots, it wasn't nearly as leaden and plodding, and mostly pointless as the two Hobbit movies have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom