• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies – Official Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with the complete absence of Smaug in this trailer? Yeah he's probably gonna bite it in the first hour but nothing from him?

Also, I was kinda expecting more for a final trailer. The final trailer for ROTK shits all over this.

Branduil

The Hobbit: Attack of the Clones

hobbit-clones.png

Yikes.

Blader

It really is confounding how Jackson could have gone from LotR to this dreck. I'm still amazed that I watch this trailer and feel absolutely nothing for any character in these films. So much money spent on something so empty.

He didn't, he went from King Kong to this dreck. So really, he's just been having a very consistent decade!

RdN

Is it just me or the CGI on the Hobbit movies looks bad? I know that the LOTR CGI doesn't hold that great today, but it was incredible back then.

For example, I thought the molten gold from the second movie was laughable, and some of the shots of the armies on this trailer looks so fake.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's just crazy to watch Peter Jackson go almost full George Lucas
At least he isn't touching LOTR itself again. And we got the blurays of the DE so we won't lose the original quality.

Kieli

Got burned with the first 2 movies.

Destroyed my beloved book into a 6 hour bloated Hollywood extravaganza.

Will be there day 1 for the 3rd movie...

Josh5890

What's up with the complete absence of Smaug in this trailer? Yeah he's probably gonna bite it in the first hour but nothing from him?

Also, I was kinda expecting more for a final trailer. The final trailer for ROTK shits all over this.

I'll bet that Smaug doesn't make it outside of the first 20 minutes. I might be lowballing a little bit but his screen time should be extremely small.

I'll bet that Smaug doesn't make it outside of the first 20 minutes. I might be lowballing a little bit but his screen time should be extremely small.

Nah. You know as well as I do that Jackson is going to milk Smaug's attack on Laketown for like half the movie.

the cg is so bad in this series. LOTR had its goofy moments but enough guys in makeup that it wasn't too distracting. This is like trying to watch the Spider-man 2 train scene but in 2014...

Iceman

The Hobbit has been made into a movie. In our lifetimes. A 7+ hour movie. And it's one of the most expensive movies ever made. Just dwell on that for a moment.

Warts and all, it's complete. In one month we will have watched to completion what was - up until very recently - considered an unfilmable story.

And yet, so much whining.

This is the most spoiled generation confirmed.

Skux

It's the bloom that bugs me. Reminds me Indiana Jones 4, which had this artificial, videogame feel, and lots of bloom.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The Hobbit has been made into a movie. In our lifetimes. A 7+ hour movie. And it's one of the most expensive movies ever made. Just dwell on that for a moment.

Warts and all, it's complete. In one month we will have watched to completion what was - up until very recently - considered an unfilmable story.

A boardgame about battleships was made into a full budget movie, doesn't mean it was a good idea or that it turned out well.

People complaining about shitty movies based on a good book is being spoiled?

Should we celebrate Gavin Hood's Ender's Game adaptation next?

Nobody said The Hobbit was unfilmable. You're thinking of LotR. People are complaining because they wanted The Hobbit, not all this extraneous nonsense that Jackson has sandwiched on top of that story.

Kathian

Banned
Already looks infinitely more entertaining than the entire LOTR trilogy, just like the previous Hobbit films.

Agreed. I like LotR but post Fellowship outside of Frodo and Sam it's an entirely impersonal affair. Two Towers is the weak link but ultimately Gondors seige is quite unconvincing.

Nyoro SF

You cannot be serious. Do you think quality judgment just flies out the window because of anticipation?

Tookay

I don't think this 7 hour monstrosity would disprove the notion.

it's heartbreaking that that trailer inspired zero enthusiasm from me.

Same here. I hate myself because I know I will be there day 1.

People complaining about shitty movies based on a good book is being spoiled?

Should we celebrate Gavin Hood's Ender's Game adaptation next?

Nobody said The Hobbit was unfilmable. You're thinking of LotR. People are complaining because they wanted The Hobbit, not all this extraneous nonsense that Jackson has sandwiched on top of that story.

I remember 3 years ago when I was saying all this extra shit was going to suck and you were getting on to me. I'm glad you developed taste over these last three years and finally came to your senses.

I didnt like this trailer at all.

It was lacking and as someone already pointed out, Peter has turned into Lucas :(

I don't understand how can these directors lose the forest for the trees. I can understand the convenience of CGI, but I remember interviews where Jackson would say that they face these films as some kind of alternative history, and they want to keep it as authentic as possible - thus they try to do as much location shooting and as many non CGI scenes as possible.

10 years later and everything is CGI, to the point where you just don't care. Even the battle of Dagolard in Lotr looked authentic because they used real actors for many of the shots and it looked gritty and dirty.

I mean, compare these scary things: https://monosnap.com/image/V8PYjFnxC8jSA67mGT6y5dK2kvPBQk

To these things: https://monosnap.com/image/mrleyBzVBsrioh7VX5GbctdbRVBXkP

How can you not see the difference Jackson? Come on now :-(

The texture work in the background of this shot is appalling, just check out that hexagon shaped object and the rubble beneath it (might have to view it at 100%)
HPCsHTw.jpg

Well I am totally down for this.

Thought the first was largely mediocre, but with some amazing scenes. I really liked the second one.

This one seems right up my alley.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

the first two were fantastic

so hype for this

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

the first two were fantastic

so hype for this

You liked the first one that much?

Don't get me wrong: it was a fairly good film, but it had some really bad scenes that drag it down from "fantastic", for me at least.

Desolation was solid from start to finish though.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Please don't have a one hour long battle scene....

It's a three hour movie based on 70 pages of a book. It pretty much has to.

hepburn3d

Man as someone who spends hours trying to get CGI to look passable I'm amazed at the criticism of the CGI in the trailer. The sheer maths, physics and time required to do the CGI they've done is so impressive. I just know if it were me I'd be so proud of that trailer even with the odd clone / odd looking bit of gold. It's so hard. You can literally spend weeks working on 10 seconds for someone to go "doesn't look real" :|

Props to the effects team. I'm impressed.

This looks like hot shit boiled.

I can't wait for the trilogy to be cut down into 1 film.

Should be epic.

The texture work in the background of this shot is appalling, just check out that hexagon shaped object and the rubble beneath it (might have to view it at 100%)
HPCsHTw.jpg

The film isn't finished yet, even the cinema release won't be the final version.

The last two films got significant tune ups when released on VHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom