• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies – Official Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bold One

I don't understand the videogame look.

LOTR looked so real.

its the soft lighting, there's this sort of soft glow effect on things that make them look less real. Maybe its a weird filter, but it does make the overall look less grounded and realistic.

Cole Slaw

Banned
Congrats on having an opinion worthy of being thrown into Mount Doom.
I agree with his opinion and it's the best first post I've ever read.

The Hobbit trilogy is infinitely better than the LotR trilogy. It's actually awe-inspiring how much so better it is.

I agree with his opinion and it's the best first post I've ever read.

The Hobbit trilogy is infinitely better than the LotR trilogy. It's actually awe-inspiring how much so better it is.

I wouldn't say LOTR was a masterclass but it is better than The Hobbit so far.

I'm a Tolkien purist so I loathe both adaptations on a lot of levels, but The Hobbit films are lacking the heart of the book. I don't feel Thorin or Bilbo have been acted or written as well as they needed to be. Whereas when I look back at LOTR I think that Boromir, Éowyn, Aragorn, Gandalf, Saruman etc were very excellent versions of their novel-selves. Heck, Sam was the star of the show, as he should have been.

Betty

Banned
Thorin is so immensely unlikeable in these films, just a self entitled snob through and through.

Never thought I'd have negative hype for a film in Middle Earth though, but that's the power of the Hobbit trilogy.

It really is confounding how Jackson could have gone from LotR to this dreck. I'm still amazed that I watch this trailer and feel absolutely nothing for any character in these films. So much money spent on something so empty.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Looks about as expected, meaning day zero. Loved the Hobbit trilogy but I'd also agree it's hard to feel something for these characters. Not a big issue, since I rarely felt attachment to the LOTR ones as well

About what I expected.

It's funny how these go less Hobbit by the movie, but who cares at this point. Looks like a lot of stuff with a lot of uninteresting characters, with guaranteed over the topness.

The Hobbit book is not a good book at handling these things. That book glosses over so much.

And it doesn't mean to. The Hobbit is about the journey of the hobbit, a small aspect that seems forgotten in the movies. Even two of the dwarfs seem to be more prominent now in the movie than.

What does it gloss over anyway? All the Lord of the Rings stuff? Because this was written before that.

I can't believe I'm actually debating about whether to see this in the theatre. DoS was absolutely painful. Might wait for the home release.

How can these movie look so subpar visually? It's mind-boggling.

It has to be the business model behind those movies. Its obvious they are made/produced much cheaper to gain bigger profit margins compared to the LOTR movies.

I dont believe their official budget numbers, and just see it as a marketing tool, while in reality those movies are much cheaper than claimed.

Will definitely wait for the home release. My arse went to dust in the cinema last time, and my eyes melted at the drabness of the last one. Mind, I'm assuming Lee's gonna give one final memorable moment before he goes... So I might go and see it.

Jado

Banned
Already looks infinitely more entertaining than the entire LOTR trilogy, just like the previous Hobbit films.

Has a first post ever been more wrong? The first movie was pretty good although really bland at times and I don't begrudge anyone who thought it sucked. The second movie was LOL-worthy and just awful. I'm not optimistic this third movie will approach the quality of any of the LOTR films.

I can't believe I'm actually debating about whether to see this in the theatre. DoS was absolutely painful. Might wait for the home release.

Same. For the first time ever, I'm actually not looking forward to one of these films and will likely just wait until it hits video. Regardless if this last one holds up, the overall Hobbit trilogy has been a resounding disappointment.

wildfire

Banned
The Hobbit: Attack of the Clones

hobbit-clones.png

This shot does show off how ridiculous the CGI is. There is no sense of depth as He moves that huge elk through the ranks. It's mindboggling Weta did this considering their past work.

Wowie wow wow.

cageconcern.gif

So was that a LOL4 or a LOL5?

Skux

Will watch because I've watched the first two and I just want to see what happens. Not expecting anything amazing storytelling-wise though, but the effects are quite spectacular in 3D HFR.

Vashetti

Banned
It has to be the business model behind those movies. Its obvious they are made/produced much cheaper to gain bigger profit margins compared to the LOTR movies.

I dont believe their official budget numbers, and just see it as a marketing tool, while in reality those movies are much cheaper than claimed.

I suggest you watch the Appendices documentaries.

It's abundantly clear that that budget is legit. Jackson films expensive scenes and then cuts them willy-nilly, or erases out a pretty important character in the theatrical version of DoS with CGI and then reinserts said character in the Extended version.

A lot of props, designs, CGI, doesn't get used at all. I'm surprised WB didn't clamp down on Jackson tbh, but then they are aware his LOTR/Hobbit-related films are guaranteed a certain level of success (profit).

Lebron

I don't understand the videogame look.

LOTR looked so real.

LOTR trilogy had a budget of around the first Hobbit movie, they hustled a lot more with the mix of CGI and practical effects.

Jackson went full Lucas because he could in this one. Lovely Bones should have been the first sign.

i still find some good in these films. even though it's hard to.

really enjoyed the barrel scene in the second film, and am looking forward to the battle in this one. sadly i don't give a fuuuu about the characters in this like i did in the lotr trilogy.

there's no emotional investment in this trilogy so when the bodies start racking up it won't get much from me other than "oh ok"

Is that CGI finished? It looks bad, really really bad.

seeing that the Blu-ray of Desolation looks different from the theatrical version, it wouldn't surprise me if these films have been hitting theaters with unfinished CGI. I guess that's the price you pay when you have to render 4 times the frames(x2 for 48fps, x2 for each eye).

TheXbox

I'm not at all crazy about these movies but yeah... that trailer was kinda dope.

Part of me hopes against hope that BotFA will at least come close to what made the LotR films special. The scope, the majesty, the urgency... A dreamer can dream. I've already abandoned all hope that this will have anything remotely do with the book after which it is titled. We're probably in for more overwrought Saturday-morning cartoon action set pieces and bunny rabbits with swords or some fucking nonsense.

Fuck. I want this movie to be good so bad. Stop burning me, PJ.

Fezan

Loved hobit movies so hyped for this one. Yes there is dodgy cgi but still these movies are so fun.

Also keep in mind that cgi is slightly stylized so that's why it gives cartoony look

RCSI

seeing that the Blu-ray of Desolation looks different from the theatrical version, it wouldn't surprise me if these films have been hitting theaters with unfinished CGI. I guess that's the price you pay when you have to render 4 times the frames(x2 for 48fps, x2 for each eye).

After what they did with the liquid gold, I'm not surprised with the HFR taking it's toll somewhere. At the same time, Jackson could have eliminated a lot of the scenes and actually focused on making the CGI good. Yet, he chose to break the book up into three movies and spread what resources he had across three films, so he only brought this upon himself.

One of those cases where the CGI could have been better with more resources.

Draper

It really is confounding how Jackson could have gone from LotR to this dreck. I'm still amazed that I watch this trailer and feel absolutely nothing for any character in these films. So much money spent on something so empty.

Seriously, 3rd entry and I have no vested interested in anyone. The trailer itself shows how little they care about character intimacy and use overwhelming soulless cgi shit in its stead.

DoS was the first LOTR related movie that left a bad taste in my mouth.

It felt like a videogame cut-scene with all flash, and no depth.

Meh.

And I *LOVE* the LOTR trilogy.

Of course Tauriel is going to die. They have to explain her absence in LOTR.

Just like Radagast is going to bite it in this movie too.

Iceman

Really enjoyed the DOS EE. Much better paced film than the theatrical cut. Turns out it was meant to be 3 hours long. Soo hyped for Five Armies (EE).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom