• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

Topher

Gold Member
It makes sense to play it on a subscription you already own and then buy it when you stop paying for said subscription later down the line if it really is something people will play for years, when the game is most likely going to be significantly cheaper

I don't really undersatand this mentality of "I'll pay full price to support the developer" either, shouldnt Microsoft be supporting their developers, they shouldnt need to be relying on charity from customers to make their games sustainable on gamepass

Eh.....you are describing what you think is best for you my man. That doesn't apply to everyone else. I bought the Steam version for the superior mod support. Game Pass doesn't help there either way.

I didn't say anything about supporting the developer. That's not why I'm buying the game.

Chukhopops

I'd honestly be surprised if less than 5% of people playing this game on console actually pay full price for the game

And most people playing on PC will probably just buy a months worth of Xbox Gold rather than pay full price for it, any sensible person would anyway
But then why do people buy any MS game on Steam instead of using PC GP?

I counted 13 MS published games in the Steam Top Sellers today before I stopped looking. It’s obvious some people want to play only on Steam and/or want to buy their games (nothing wrong with that).
MS badly need a big exclusive for their consoles. The Xbox'ers badly need a big exclusive to play on their consoles.
Are you saying there would be no hype or interest for this game if it wasn’t exclusive?

Like, for real?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The game will easily sell 20m copies on Steam over time. Xbox sales will be dismal.

The bragging from the Xbox fans in this thread, as though Xbox have had any positive contribution to this game, is laughable.

They could shit the game out last year but they delayed it almost a year to polish it out.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t happen if not for Microsoft, but yeah it happened.

I’m not an Xbox guy (PC) but Microsoft buying Bethesda is the lesser evil. If Sony would money hat this one, it most likely would be delayed on PC. And that would be a disaster.

WE’LL BE PLAYING STARFIELD NEXT WEEK!!!!

They could shit the game out last year but they delayed it almost a year to polish it out.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t happen if not for Microsoft, but yeah it happened.

I’m not an Xbox guy (PC) but Microsoft buying Bethesda is the lesser evil. If Sony would money hat this one, it most likely would be delayed on PC. And that would be a disaster.

WE’LL BE PLAYING STARFIELD NEXT WEEK!!!!

Like how Deathloop and Ghostwire were delayed on PC?

Zathalus

The bragging from the Xbox fans in this thread, as though Xbox have had any positive contribution to this game, is laughable.
Bethesda has been owned by Microsoft for almost three years. Implying Microsoft had no impact on the game seems very unlikely. Microsoft was the reason the game got delayed as well, so that extra dev time is certainly positive.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Bethesda has been owned by Microsoft for almost three years. Implying Microsoft had no impact on the game seems very unlikely. Microsoft was the reason the game got delayed as well, so that extra dev time is certainly positive.

I seriously doubt Bethesda needed Microsoft to tell them the game needed to be delayed.

Mephisto40

But then why do people buy any MS game on Steam instead of using PC GP?

I counted 13 MS published games in the Steam Top Sellers today before I stopped looking. It’s obvious some people want to play only on Steam and/or want to buy their games (nothing wrong with that).
It just doesn't make any sense to me that you would pay £70 for a game you have barely even seen much of, when you can just pay £10 for a months subscription to see if the game is actually worthwhile or not, and then if you like it, just pay the extra £60 in a months time when the game has most likely come down in price by that extra £10

I understand some people like to play games on steam rather than use the Microsoft store

It just doesn't make any sense to me that you would pay £70 for a game you have barely even seen much of, when you can just pay £10 for a months subscription to see if the game is actually worthwhile or not, and then if you like it, just pay the extra £60 in a months time when the game has most likely come down in price by that extra £10

I understand some people like to play games on steam rather than use the Microsoft store

Most people don't need to demo a Bethesda title to know if they're going to like it or not

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No I'm pretty sure there would have been a simultaneous PC release so you're just coming up with weak justification

One of the most notorious console warriors is pretty sure. Yeah, okay. Luckily we don’t have to worry about it because it releases on PC day one.
kanye-guess.gif

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
Damn Bethesda AMD Deal i really hope my RTX 4090 run well, in WHQHD with minimum 60fps with Max Settings.
Did Starfield support Raytraced Global Illumination & Shadows + Raytraced Screen Space Reflection?

Last edited:

Stuart360

The Xbox Series install base is smaller than that of the Xbox One in the similar period of time since launch. On top of that you have Game Pass butchering the sales, not only on Xbox but on PC as well, which is the platform where Game Pass is the most popular, meaning that Steam sales are going to be very hurt as well.

Cyberpunk 2077, which was in much better shape on PC than it was on consoles, has only done 20M in over 32 months since launch across all platforms. So PC sales for CDPR's latest must be in the ballpark of 8-12M, being very generous. And that's for a game which was never made available on any subscription service.

So 20 million sales? No fucking way.
Er you realize its been the no.1 most wishlisted game on Steam since the steam page went up a year or two right?, it also was no.1 best global seller for over 8 days when pre-orders went up 3 or 4 months ago. Its going to be massive on Steam.

Also The last data we had for Gamepass numbers was around 10mil subs on Xbox, from around 21mil Series owners. And around 15mil subs on PC, but thats from over 200mil PC players.

Anyway people try and twist it, the game is going to be massive, on PC anyway.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I don't participate. I lead. Something that requires a great deal of charisma, intelligence and dedication. You bottom barrel feeders can't even compare to me

I hope this is just an act and nobody is seriously like that in real life. It’s just for lols, right? If yes, then fair play, if not, just don’t forget to take your medication tomorrow.

Stuart360

Are we just forgetting Fallout 76 happened or something?
Different team, trying somehting new, and the game is actually in a very good state today.

Are you forgetting Todd and his teams legacy?, Morrowind, Oblivion, Falloit 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4.

I love how Bethesda (Todd and his team) have had a narrative built around them since MS bought them that they are not a very good team, and not the fact that their games are beloved and huge sellers.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Different team, trying somehting new, and the game is actually in a very good state today.

Are you forgetting Todd and his teams legacy?, Morrowind, Oblivion, Falloit 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4.

I love how Bethesda (Todd and his team) have had a narrative built around them since MS bought them that they are not a very good team, and not the fact that their games are beloved and huge sellers.

Reality: studio and Game Director with 4 GOTY.

NeoGAF: Bethesda bad.

Banjo64

cumsessed

I wouldn’t say that’s a narrative, more like an outlier opinion from a select few who prefer safe, boring, hand-holdy forgettable ‘polished’ games.

geary

Fallout 76 was not made by the same team that made Skyrim, Oblivion and now Starfield.
The same mistake intentionally or unintentionally is done also for all Ubisoft games, due to the fact all studios are named "Publisher"+"City".

Chukhopops

I see your point but right now Starfield is #3 just below BG3 and Counter Strike GO, it’s clearly selling well and that’s before launch and reviews.

I also think most people know more or less what to expect from the game, the only questions remaining are the launch state and performance on PC/consoles.

Mephisto40

Fallout 76 is a dead game, it is in now way in a "good state", nobody even plays it any more

Stuart360

People (console only gamers really) need to understand that Steam is by far the biggest and most popular store front on PC. Its a community, not just a launcher like the other launchers. Thats why Epic year long exclusives still get very solid, and sometmes great sales on Steam, even though PC gamers could of been playing the game a year earlier.

MS could be handing out codes for free for the Windows store, and literally millions of PC users would still buy the game on Steam, as they have and will do with Starfield, even though everyone knows its on PC Gamepass.

Stuart360

Fallout 76 is a dead game, it is in now way in a "good state", nobody even plays it any more
Its in a very good state today compared to launch. In fact you can even play it like a standard Fallout game today if you want to, and thats what people wanted in the first place, not a MP Fallout game.

Last edited:

Stuart360

It was literally made by different human beings, what the fuck are you even trying to say?
Plus Bethesda Austin who made the majority of 76, i cant remember what studio they were called before Bethesda bought them (could probably Google it) but i remember their game dev history left a lot to be desired. In fact i'm not even sure why Bethesdsa bought them really.
But yeah Bethesda has different teams and studios under the Bethesda banner. Todd and his team have been very stable and Todd has talked in the past how important it was for him to keep his team together, the same people, over the years. And their games speak for themselves under than strategy.

octiny

Banned
It was made by Bethesda, it shouldn't even matter which "team" worked on it

It 100% matters. What the fuck are you smoking?

Bethesda is a publisher w/ many different teams under there belt.

Not to mention Todd Howard didn't even direct Fallout 76. Jeff Gardiner did.

Go check the ratings the last 25 years of Todd Howards directed games & come back to me. Anything he directs turns to gold.

Furthermore, as shit as Fallout 76 was at launch, it's grown quite a gathering since the game is actually good now.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I think video sums up my thoughts, I'm worried... but I want to be hyped, and most of all I really hope for everyone that's its good.

I really want it to be good, God please be good.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

It 100% matters. What the fuck are you smoking?

Bethesda is a publisher w/ many different teams under there belt.

Not to mention Todd Howard didn't even direct Fallout 76. Jeff Gardiner did.

Go check the ratings the last 25 years of Todd Howards directed games & come back to me. Anything he directs turns to gold.

Furthermore, as shit as Fallout 76 was at launch, it's grown quite a gathering since the game is actually good now.
Righty' O

Big Rigs 2 is going to be game of the year because they hired somebody else to do the artwork confirmed

Topher

Gold Member
It was made by Bethesda, it shouldn't even matter which "team" worked on it

lol.....of course it matters. It wasn't Todd Howard's team. We are talking about knowing what to expect explicitly because Starfield is Todd Howard's game so how in the hell does it not matter that Fallout 76 wasn't a Todd Howard game?

Righty' O

Big Rigs 2 is going to be game of the year because they hired somebody else to do the artwork confirmed

plz-stop-post.jpg

Mephisto40

lol.....of course it matters. It wasn't Todd Howard's team. We are talking about knowing what to expect explicitly because Starfield is Todd Howard's game so how in the hell does it not matter that Fallout 76 wasn't a Todd Howard game?

plz-stop-post.jpg
You cant seriously be suggesting that Todd Howard and his upper management had zero input into the development of Fallout 76, I mean seriously?

Last edited:
Top Bottom