• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I shouldn't say anything but eh, whatever.

Spoilers ahead.

I played all the way through Starfield last week (my uncle works at Nintendo). You can do it in about 7 hours and I would say it's basically exactly the same as No Man's Sky, but with worse graphics. The story is good though, it closely mirrors an episode of Dallas from the mid 80s however, so if you're a big fan of decades old soap operas then you might see the major twist coming. Solid 6/7 out of 10.
sounds very...........................unreasonable

source.gif

yeahhhhhhhhhh

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
I hope it's perfect modable, I want Ridley Scott's Alien in abandoned spaceship/moon mine or space station.
Or a mod of The Thing, something like that is just perfect in Starfield. I need Survival Horror Mods 😊😍

DaGwaphics

So, you guys really believe Starfield wouldn't have come out were it not for Microsoft?
Do you think it would have been a completely different game then the one that is soon to release?
Other developers haven't delayed games? Has Bethesda never delayed a game?
-
I think everyone understands that the game is under Microsoft's wing now, given that they acquired Bethesda. What exactly are you all trying to accomplish by attaching some sort of Microsoft badge to it?

It is a Microsoft/Xbox game now, a series they got, simply because they bought it. Where the key accomplishment by MS was giving them extra time and resources + removing it from 'PlayStation'.

Do third-party developers sometimes delay games, sure. Do they often do it when they should, no. It's a big spend to pay the salaries for another year, especially on a game with a relatively long development time already.

Truth is we have no idea how Starfield would have released 10 months ago or what the differences are, however I think it is a safe bet that the game is more refined now than what it would have been.

The live action trailer was amazing, sets the bar pretty high for the type of environments we might encounter. I'm really hoping that there are also amazing environments that have NOTHING to do with the main quest, that there was time and effort put in the exploration too.

Absolutely, hopefully there will be some really creative scenes and stories out there to find, I'm confident there will be though.

That was one of the things that undermined space exploration games like KSP, at the end of the day there just isn't much to see.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Aside from the face just going “pop” when he puts the helmet that looks really great, much better than I’d have expected.

Between that and the live action trailer I’ve got something huge and growing right now.

It's a she. And the face goes 'pop' because as soon as the helmet is connected to the rest of the suit, a light switches on.

Chronicle

A lot of huge releases in September. If I had an xbox I'd be all over starfield but since it went exclusive, no buy. Baldurs Gate and Cyberpunk for me.

sainraja

Do third-party developers sometimes delay games, sure. Do they do often do it when they should, no. It's a big spend to pay the salaries for another year, especially on a game with a relatively long development time already.

Truth is we have no idea how Starfield would have released 10 months ago or what the differences are, however I think it is a safe bet that the game is more refined now than what it would have been.
There are always going to be multiple variables at play, so we can't say anything definitively when it comes to why the decision to delay is made or isn't made, and yes, Bethesda certainly benefited from the extra time and resources, but Starfield would still be Starfield without any influence from Microsoft.
I don't know why that is being taken as a—negative—that's just the nature of how they got the game.

Regardless, it is still an Xbox game, and as of right now, Xbox is going to be the one that benefits from the game vs. the game benefiting from simply being on Xbox or being exclusive to it, where it doesn't matter how they got the series, just that they got it. It's success and failure (doubtful) will certainly help MS and shape the future of Xbox. I think we can all agree on that.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

With worse lighting/less shadows?

cage is moving + physics on railings

Its also a slightly more zoomed out and has different color lightning. Cant tell much about the shadows from the quality tbh.
Models and faces look better tho

Last edited:
You watched the opening to a massive rpg. Do you think Starfield is a Call of Duty game?
I'm not sure what you're insinuating here... that the opening moments of a massive RPG can't be intense and groundbreaking?

The 40 mins of gameplay from the leak seemed very run-of-the-mill Bethesda game. To me that looked boring and uninspired.

I'll find out in a few days.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm not sure what you're insinuating here... that the opening moments of a massive RPG can't be intense and groundbreaking?

The 40 mins of gameplay from the leak seemed very run-of-the-mill Bethesda game. To me that looked boring and uninspired.

That 40 minute video was literally the first 10-15 minutes of the game. Are you seriously trying to judge the game by what's in an essence an intro/tutorial area for a game that will take dozens, if not a hundred+ hours to complete?

It's like watching the first 15 minutes of God of War (amazing game, played it on both PS4 and PC) where all you do is cut a tree and ride a boat and be like 'meh, this is shit, slow and boring'.

Seriously, get a grip.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Nah you shouldn't get this game. Don't buy it since it looks boring and uninspired to you

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Weren’t they “ready” to release last year before MS stepped in? At least that’s what I read somewhere

Can't comment on how ready they were, but reportedly the game was going to be shipped out around 2021~ if it wasn't for the acquisition. They were given an extension to 2022 and then another one to September 2023 to get more time on the game than they would have had otherwise. I reckon it's like how NMS was on release versus how it was a few years after, we're just getting the years-after version and avoiding the release version here.

GladiusFrog

Gold Member
I basically make the minimum requirements on my pc:

i7-7700
GTX 1080

1080p 60 fps at medium settings is all I hope for.

Guess I'll have to see, I figure if it can run on the Series S I should be fine.

Anyway, Game looks incredible.

PaNaMa

Banned
why can't the dev be playing or the interviewer be playing, while they are talking about the game. people are turning into see the game

sainraja

He is saying that under Zenimax Bethesda would have already released the game, which obviously wouldn't be in as good a shape with a years more dev time to fix issues.
Todd has already said as much.
Microsoft gets a pat on the back because they were prepared to cop the flack for the game getting delayed, and for putting more money into the game to have it release in a better shape.
Double Fine said the same thing about Psychonauts 2.
I get what he is saying, and I even addressed it again in a later post, but also in the post you are quoting. However, the game would still exist + one more platform to its list.

Now, how Bethesda would have handled it on their own is anyone's guess—and—yes, it makes sense to me that Todd would acknowledge the benefits his game got due to extra time and resources; why wouldn't that help? But that does beg the question, why wouldn't he make the same decision?

I thought the point was, of the conversation that was happening, is how little influence MS had over shaping the game itself—they provided more time and resources, which I don't think was being contested anyway. In the end, it matters little, given the publisher is now owned by MS, so don't make the mistake of thinking I don't understand.

To put it simply, the game does not exist because of Microsoft/Xbox and as of right now, the game will help MS/Xbox more so, in how it shapes its future which I don't think is a bad thing.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
- Pete Hines' current save is at 160hrs
- "We've made an irresponsibly large game"
- Confident in the game having sent review and game codes out early
- "We embrace chaos, we give players the kind of freedom you don't see in many games"

Just unlock the damn game already.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm not seeing much hype around it personally. Maybe when it's closer to launch when we'll see more of it. At a whopping 130gbs on PC, it's definitely a hefty game.
Not only the thread is wrong since we had RE4, Hogwarts Legacy, Zelda (primarily) and BG3 this year, but this denotes MS got really bad at marketing out of nowhere, I've literally seen way more ads for Zelda than I do for Starfield and Nintendo is really bad at advertising normally.

MMaRsu

Not only the thread is wrong since we had RE4, Hogwarts Legacy, Zelda (primarily) and BG3 this year, but this denotes MS got really bad at marketing out of nowhere, I've literally seen way more ads for Zelda than I do for Starfield and Nintendo is really bad at advertising normally.
The game isnt out yet.

New Tested video though

Did you see a lot of ads for Zelda before release? Because I sure didnt. A week before launch maybe, but I'm sure they will run ads for Starfield a few days before actual release. Early access isnt counted as actual release.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
The game isnt out yet.

New Tested video though

It's ok, some people are really hyped, but hype is not general.

Actually, I've seen more hype for it since last year but yet not on the same level of biggest releases this year (not counting Zelda, nothing has Zelda levels of hype). Last year I was very confused if people talking about Starfield in the same level of Zelda or Hogwarts Legacy were joking or if that was some internet meme or something because I barely heard about it until then.

It's ok, it's a new IP, it will probably make a lot of noise and be really good for the type of players that like those games, and that will help future releases to get the level of hype some would like but as of right now, that ain't happening and it's completely normal.

Edit: And to add, Zeldad didn't need nor put many ads because of strong brand power, Starfield needs it in spades and yet it feels less advertised than Zelda

Last edited:
Top Bottom