• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

MMaRsu

Can I make this?

ebon-hawk.webp

EbonHawk.webp

Ebon Hawk from Kotor 1

firefly-serenity-e1387241089451-530x326.jpg

Serenity from Firefly

DaGwaphics

That's not true. Not that any of this matters, but they literally delayed the game fairly publicly for a year. And we know MS committed a large amount of resources to QA. Phil also said during the Redfall damage control interviews they committed engineering resources early as well. It's all been said publicly.

Everyone always knew this is how it would go though. If it's shit, it's all MS fault. If it's good, MS has nothing to do with it.

Yeah, no basis at all to think that Bethesda would have done that on their own. I think those that are suggesting that are people that are not giving enough consideration to the cost in $ of a 1yr delay, especially for a company that was selling timed exclusivity for their games to gain additional revenue. As can plainly be seen in the market, most third-party games that could use an extra year in the oven don't get that time.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Yeah, no basis at all to think that Bethesda would have done that on their own. I think those that are suggesting that are people that are not giving enough consideration to the cost in $ of a 1yr delay, especially for a company that was selling timed exclusivity for their games to gain additional revenue. As can plainly be seen in the market, most third-party games that could use an extra year in the oven don't get that time.
Especially Zenimax.

DeaDPo0L84

Wait, this will be available to play August 31st @ whatever your regions time is? I for some reason was thinking I wouldn't be playing until Friday evening.

Also, I know the endless back and forth between Playstation and Xbox loyalist will never change, but I sincerely hope once the game is out everyone and anyone who is playing the game can simply discuss the game itself without bringing up nonsense to stoke some nonsensical console war that literally amounts to nothing. I have opinions about Starfield/Xbox, which can be found in my post history, but who gives a crap, not me or anyone else in any of the 27 current Starfield threads have worked on this game or truly have some life defining stakes at risk depending on its success or failure.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Wait, this will be available to play August 31st @ whatever your regions time is? I for some reason was thinking I wouldn't be playing until Friday evening.

Also, I know the endless back and forth between Playstation and Xbox loyalist will never change, but I sincerely hope once the game is out everyone and anyone who is playing the game can simply discuss the game itself without bringing up nonsense to stoke some nonsensical console war that literally amounts to nothing. I have opinions about Starfield/Xbox, which can be found in my post history, but who gives a crap, not me or anyone else in any of the 27 current Starfield threads have worked on this game or truly have some life defining stakes at risk depending on its success or failure.
  • Aug. 31, 5:00 p.m. PT
  • Aug. 31, 8:00 p.m. ET
  • Aug. 31, 9:00 p.m. BRT
  • Sep. 1, 1:00 a.m. BST
  • Sep. 1, 2:00 a.m. CEST
  • Sep. 1, 3:00 a.m. TRT
  • Sep. 1, 9:00 a.m. KST
  • Sep. 1, 10:00 a.m. AEST
  • Sep. 1, 12:00 p.m. NZST

MMaRsu

Rewatching this its cool to see how much they acknowledge the modding community so im very excited for their new tools.

Watching this one now, and I cant wait to see how much stuff there is compared to something like Fallout 4. Which was a dissapointment for me as a RPG guy. In some ways it was still an awesome game for sure, but it wasn't such a awesome game as Fallout 3 was at the time.

Last edited:

CobraAB

Well, Xbox fans have pretty much been desperate for a follow up game to Halo.

I guess they may have finally got it now.

MMaRsu

The only comparison I can offer with the NMS thing, is this is what NMS would have been if it had 100x the size of the NMS team, and basically a huge warchest of experience in making a huge single player campaign that offers a multitude of choice and player agency.

Full cities, questlines, factions, companions, actual interesting loot. Cool unknown things to discover.

Where in other games quests are locked, not dynamic in any way (Rockstar I'm looking at you), Bethesda single player RPG's offer something that almost no other company offers.

So NMS on Skooma basically.

Last edited:

Hugare

Edit: To the guy saying why not playing it on gamepass, I dont like treating videogames as fast food, I want to support devs who put effort into making great games
.... I mean, its Xbox selling it as fast food and supposedly "not supporting" their own studio

Bethesda will be fine, you buying it at full price or not. So think about you as a customer, not the billionaire company.

I'll be playing it on GP because I doubt that I'll get +250h out of it like some of you will. I'll probably finish the campaign in 40-50h and be done with it, so one month will be enough.

Maybe I'll buy it sometime later if I really love the game and intend to replay it someday

But I see the appeal of buying the game for someone thats going to play the game for hundreds of hours

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can I make this?

ebon-hawk.webp

EbonHawk.webp

Ebon Hawk from Kotor 1

firefly-serenity-e1387241089451-530x326.jpg

Serenity from Firefly

The ship customization will very likely have parts for players to make all sorts of popular fictional ships, like how the WWE games tend to have create a wrestler parts that people can use to make extremely convincing wrestlers that aren't on the official roster.

avin

I'll be playing it on GP because I doubt that I'll get +250h out of it like some of you will. I'll probably finish the campaign in 40-50h and be done with it, so one month will be enough.

I thought they shortened the trial to 14 days? So your choices are 2 weeks or 6 weeks.

avin

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Everspace 2 devs know what's up :messenger_smiling_with_eyes::messenger_smiling_hearts:

Speaking of, I really need to play this before the month's end.

I played this yesterday for about a hour. Enjoying it. Exploring abandoned space stations got me thinking wouldn't it be amazing to be able to get out on foot and search and fight etc with whatever was on board.It has ramped up my excitement for Starfield with all the possibilities of that game.

Solarstrike

Could easily find the answer elsewhere but it's GAF I believe and GAF I trust..

Can I walk around naked in my ship during warp drive?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PC peeps, GMG sent out their keys yesterday and today Fanatical have also started sending keys out.

There is also a 17% discount on the premium edition until the release date.

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
PC peeps, GMG sent out their keys yesterday and today Fanatical have also started sending keys out.

There is also a 17% discount on the premium edition until the release date.

That's cool. I don't know much about key resellers. How do they manage to provide those pre-launch discounts like that? I assume they just buy a shitload of keys in bulk and negotiate a discount on the volume?

Also:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Just realized some of my threads has been merged here so I guess I’ll post here

That's cool. I don't know much about key resellers. How do they manage to provide those pre-launch discounts like that? I assume they just buy a shitload of keys in bulk and negotiate a discount on the volume?

Also:

They are essentially no different from being a digital version of Walmart: they work with publishers directly. Except that they have no overhead cost for storage space, rental etc

many times you can find cheaper price there than on Steam directly, and they are totally legit. Down side is refund policy is not as straight forward or easy as Steam.

I usually use isthereanydeal.com which compare the prices across all the legit key sellers (greenmangaming, humble bundle, fanatical, gamebilliet, indiegala, gamesplanet etc)

But there are still some unsafe non-legit key sellers like g2a.

But you're just pulling figures out of the air. Why will it get 50 million players?
As the game has not been released, and no reviews or sales figures are in, we are all pulling figures out of the air. It's called predictions.

How do I think it could get to 50 million players?
1. Forza Horizon 5 has hit over 30 million. It's a car racing game, and the car racing genre is not as popular as the WRPG one is. Hence, there will be more people to which Starfield will appeal to.

2. Elder Scrolls has sold over 58 million copies. Starfield should be able to match that, and while those sales are over a long period of time, with many sales over that time, Starfield is going to be on on Gamepass.

3. As the game is the largest release for Xbox since Halo 3, you would have to think that 99% of Gamepass subscribers will download the biggest Xbox game in two generations to at least see what the hype is about. Those downloads count as players.
There is around 30 million Gamepass subscribers at this point.

4. The only thing that I think might be incorrect in my statement is the 18 month period. It may well be over a longer period of time.

Last edited:

AstronomerIT

Neo Member
The last game I can remember that had this type of hype leading up to its release was Red Dead Redemption 2.
It's trending on twitter every day. Forums and social media are all about Starfield, and MS hasn't advertised jack shit for it.

I haven't really been a Bethesda guy, but I am a space guy, so this game is for me, but was the hype like this when the last Elder Scrolls came out?
It's simply a one in a life gaming kind of project. Growing hype means also growing stupid hate

salva

The leaked footage, as bad as it is (quality wise)... Is at least something to look at.
But hopefully we're only a few hours away from more official gameplay from gamescom... That's happening really soon yeah?

MMaRsu

The leaked footage, as bad as it is (quality wise)... Is at least something to look at.
But hopefully we're only a few hours away from more official gameplay from gamescom... That's happening really soon yeah?
I dont think there will be gameplay there at all.

Top Bottom