• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

MMaRsu

Cdkeys got their keys in!! At least the premium edition ones

Got the game on Steam now :D Now we wait for the preload (there is a preload right?)

9/10 days seems so far away

Last edited:

Fess

I’ve got a fever……
Found this on Twitter, silly but relatable 🫠

obJBqMd.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Someone took a screenshot of all traits and backgrounds from that leaked gameplay and composed it into 1 album.

Link below, some might consider it a spoiler:

sainraja

Yeah, no basis at all to think that Bethesda would have done that on their own. I think those that are suggesting that are people that are not giving enough consideration to the cost in $ of a 1yr delay, especially for a company that was selling timed exclusivity for their games to gain additional revenue. As can plainly be seen in the market, most third-party games that could use an extra year in the oven don't get that time.
So, you guys really believe Starfield wouldn't have come out were it not for Microsoft?
Do you think it would have been a completely different game then the one that is soon to release?
Other developers haven't delayed games? Has Bethesda never delayed a game?
-
I think everyone understands that the game is under Microsoft's wing now, given that they acquired Bethesda. What exactly are you all trying to accomplish by attaching some sort of Microsoft badge to it?

It is a Microsoft/Xbox game now, a series they got, simply because they bought it. Where the key accomplishment by MS was giving them extra time and resources + removing it from 'PlayStation'.
-
If "credit" to MS is really what you guys are making a fuss over well, I don't know what you guys get out of that lol.

Last edited:
It's simply a one in a life gaming kind of project. Growing hype means also growing stupid hate
Yeah, there is a bit of that in here.
I understand that some people are dirty that they won't get Starfield on their console of choice, but gaming is about the games, not the hardware to play it.
There are lots of games that are on PS that I can't play. I don't tall those games down, as a good game is a good game. If I really want to play them, I will go and buy a PS and play them.

Starfield looks generational. The leaks coming from the people playing it are very glowing. Just buy an xbox or PC if you want to play it.

So, you guys really believe Starfield wouldn't have come out were it not for Microsoft?
Do you think it would have been a completely different game then the one that is soon to release?
Other developers haven't delayed games? Has Bethesda never delayed a game?
-
I think everyone understands that the game is under Microsoft's wing now, given that they acquired Bethesda. What exactly are you all trying to accomplish by attaching some sort of Microsoft badge to it?

It is a Microsoft/Xbox game now, a series they got, simply because they bought it. Where the key accomplishment by MS was giving them extra time and resources + removing it from 'PlayStation'.
-
If "credit" to MS is really what you guys are making a fuss over well, I don't know what you guys get out of that lol.
He is saying that under Zenimax Bethesda would have already released the game, which obviously wouldn't be in as good a shape with a years more dev time to fix issues.
Todd has already said as much.
Microsoft gets a pat on the back because they were prepared to cop the flack for the game getting delayed, and for putting more money into the game to have it release in a better shape.
Double Fine said the same thing about Psychonauts 2.

I also have to say that Bethesda giving out codes to "influencers" has also created alot of hype. Any time someone leaks something there is a big flurry around it, causing a spike in hype.
It's all working in the favour, and not one TV ad.

Helghan

The live action trailer was amazing, sets the bar pretty high for the type of environments we might encounter. I'm really hoping that there are also amazing environments that have NOTHING to do with the main quest, that there was time and effort put in the exploration too.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The live action trailer was amazing, sets the bar pretty high for the type of environments we might encounter. I'm really hoping that there are also amazing environments that have NOTHING to do with the main quest, that there was time and effort put in the exploration too.
Looking back at previous Bethesda games, it seems like 90% of the quests and areas in these games had nothing to do with the main plot and were just these fun little adventures with their own isolated storylines. If they're gonna continue that tradition then I'm sure that we can count on plenty of locations that are entirely skippable but contain some awesome quest lines.

I'm really hoping that the game will feel as fresh and exciting as the first time I played Fallout 3 and kept having my mind blown because I just kept stumbling upon these amazing quests just by walking in a random direction. I loved that sense of discovery and adventure.

Topher

Gold Member
Looking back at previous Bethesda games, it seems like 90% of the quests and areas in these games had nothing to do with the main plot and were just these fun little adventures with their own isolated storylines. If they're gonna continue that tradition then I'm sure that we can count on plenty of locations that are entirely skippable but contain some awesome quest lines.

I'm really hoping that the game will feel as fresh and exciting as the first time I played Fallout 3 and kept having my mind blown because I just kept stumbling upon these amazing quests just by walking in a random direction. I loved that sense of discovery and adventure.

Exactly. Several entirely disconnected quest lines is a staple of Todd Howard's games. In Skyrim you basically chose a quest line right out the gate by joining either the Imperials or the Stormcloaks which has nothing to do with being Dragonborn and the main quest. Then you have all the factions: thieves, mages, assassins and fighters. Beyond that a bunch of individual side quests and character building. Of course then there are the expansions. It's just massive stuff and that's exactly what I'm expecting with Starfield.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Drizzlehell

Banned

Crazy folks around

giphy.webp

What's hilarious is that review bombing ain't gonna do jack shit anyway, and people like this dude are only gonna waste their own time doing something that's utterly meaningless.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
giphy.webp

What's hilarious is that review bombing ain't gonna do jack shit anyway, and people like this dude are only gonna waste their own time doing something that's utterly meaningless.

It's going to have an exact opposite effect. It will give the game even more press, resulting in more sales. Genius.

Ozzie666

This trailer is fucking great. This is the first of 5.

These should have been running much earlier than this, because this is a really good trailer. Actually, better than the Halo TV show :)

Looking forward to the remaining 4, but this is good marketing and needs to be splattered everywhere!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I am amazed by how much concern people have for Xbox and its products. (Not you, but those concerned people)

It's sad, really. I don't care that much about consoles these days, just release games on PC and we're good but yeah I have amazing memories playing Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox.

I can bet that the same people who are shitting on everything Xbox now, had an amazing time playing amazing games during 360 era. That brand tribalism is seriously fascinating. Pathetic, but yeah, fascinating at the same time.

SirTerry-T

What do you reckon to all this Starfield malarkey then Rivet Rivet ? You're clearly chomping at the bit to say something.

Don't be shy, come from behind the silly little emojis and join us in this wondrous conversation adventure!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I shouldn't say anything but eh, whatever.

Spoilers ahead.

I played all the way through Starfield last week (my uncle works at Nintendo). You can do it in about 7 hours and I would say it's basically exactly the same as No Man's Sky, but with worse graphics. The story is good though, it closely mirrors an episode of Dallas from the mid 80s however, so if you're a big fan of decades old soap operas then you might see the major twist coming. Solid 6/7 out of 10.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Spoilers ahead.

I played all the way through Starfield last week (my uncle works at Nintendo). You can do it in about 7 hours and I would say it's basically exactly the same as No Man's Sky, but with worse graphics. The story is good though, it closely mirrors an episode of Dallas from the mid 80s however, so if you're a big fan of decades old soap operas then you might see the major twist coming. Solid 6/7 out of 10.
There is a separate spoiler thread.

Mephisto40

Spoilers ahead.

Is this actually serious?

MMaRsu

Spoilers ahead.

Stop trolling

Top Bottom