• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

Ya'll want some wall paper?

omErK6Z.jpg

Last edited:

MMaRsu

It's ok, some people are really hyped, but hype is not general.

Actually, I've seen more hype for it since last year but yet not on the same level of biggest releases this year (not counting Zelda, nothing has Zelda levels of hype). Last year I was very confused if people talking about Starfield in the same level of Zelda or Hogwarts Legacy were joking or if that was some internet meme or something because I barely heard about it until then.

It's ok, it's a new IP, it will probably make a lot of noise and be really good for the type of players that like those games, and that will help future releases to get the level of hype some would like but as of right now, that ain't happening and it's completely normal.

Edit: And to add, Zeldad didn't need nor put many ads because of strong brand power, Starfield needs it in spades and yet it feels less advertised than Zelda
Its a new game made by the team what made Skyrim and Oblivion. What more do you need to know lmao.

Unprecedented player agency in how to adress missions, freedom of choice in how to play the game, not being railroaded into missions like in Rockstar open world games, complete factions with quests that will probably last as long as some other games, main quest that lasts 30+ hours. Do you wanna go crazy and attack the people in a city? You can. You wanna kill questgivers? You can.

The hype can be seen as lessened because Sony players are a large chunk of players out there, I have nothing against them. But without their hype it is a significant lesser fraction of the entire gaming community hyped for the game.

Maybe if you've never played a Bethesda Games Studio game, I can understand it. But get hyped, because Todd Howard released bangers and not drizzlers.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Ya'll want some wall paper?

omErK6Z.jpg

It's amazing, thanks. It will replace my GT7 cover art wallpaper.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Its a new game made by the team what made Skyrim and Oblivion. What more do you need to know lmao.

Unprecedented player agency in how to adress missions, freedom of choice in how to play the game, not being railroaded into missions like in Rockstar open world games, complete factions with quests that will probably last as long as some other games, main quest that lasts 30+ hours. Do you wanna go crazy and attack the people in a city? You can. You wanna kill questgivers? You can.

The hype can be seen as lessened because Sony players are a large chunk of players out there, I have nothing against them. But without their hype it is a significant lesser fraction of the entire gaming community hyped for the game.

Maybe if you've never played a Bethesda Games Studio game, I can understand it. But get hyped, because Todd Howard released bangers and not drizzlers.
You think starfield is gonna be "unprecedented" in a year with zelda tokt and bg3?

I mean, i hope so but that's a tall ass order.

Fess

The interviews with Pete Hines, Todd Howard, at Gamecom is all hype for me I don’t know how to deal with the waiting anymore! I especially liked Hines talk about the world simulation and how he were trying to see how long he could stay is space and then stay in one city. I don’t expect RDR2 level of living world but it seems like they’ve gone much further than their previous games, which weren’t bad either tbh.

MMaRsu

Those are people with a press pass too, not even general public. They won't get the chance to check it out untill tomorrow.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's ok, it's a new IP, it will probably make a lot of noise and be really good for the type of players that like those games, and that will help future releases to get the level of hype some would like but as of right now, that ain't happening and it's completely normal.

Edit: And to add, Zeldad didn't need nor put many ads because of strong brand power, Starfield needs it in spades and yet it feels less advertised than Zelda

I don’t think you understand that while it’s a new IP, the brand power is “Bethesda RPG” and “from the makers of Skyrim”.

It’s hard to argue about no hype when it’s performing in such a stellar fashion on Steam sales and wishlist charts.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don’t think you understand that while it’s a new IP, the brand power is “Bethesda RPG” and “from the makers of Skyrim”.

It’s hard to argue about no hype when it’s performing in such a stellar fashion on Steam sales and wishlist charts.
Most people out there don't care about devs, they care about the brand itself, if PlayStation made a Mario game they wouldn't see "PlayStation" in the game, they would see "Mario".

Devs recognition will gain game enthusiasts but not mainstream.

Ozriel

M$FT
Most people out there don't care about devs, they care about the brand itself, if PlayStation made a Mario game they wouldn't see "PlayStation" in the game, they would see "Mario".

Devs recognition will gain game enthusiasts but not mainstream.

You don’t sell that many copies of Skyrim without expanding past the ‘core enthusiast’ bubble. And ‘from the makers of Skyrim’ resonates pretty well.

Add to that the fact that Space remains an appealing theme to many many mainstream folks and I’m absolutely unsurprised it’s topped wishlists for months now.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You don’t sell that many copies of Skyrim without expanding past the ‘core enthusiast’ bubble. And ‘from the makers of Skyrim’ resonates pretty well.

Add to that the fact that Space remains an appealing theme to many many mainstream folks and I’m absolutely unsurprised it’s topped wishlists for months now.
You didn't get it:
1. I didn't say there's no hype for Starfield, it's just not on the same level of Zelda (again, nothing is) or other big releases

2. Skyrim sold a lot due to the game having great opinions even among normies, I'd say "skyrim" brand is even bigger than TES brand itself... But "Bethesda" name isn't something non-gamers care about, so just as Skyrim, Starfield have to build a name for itself. Bethesda brand can give it a bump among enthusiasts but it's up to the game if it leaks into the mainstream as Skyrim did.

game will be so big

For perspective, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim had 60,000 lines, and Fallout 4 had around 111,000 lines—but some 70,000 of those were the player character's voice. Starfield's 150,000 lines is all NPCs; a huge number, in contrast.
Starfield is over 250,000 lines not 150,000.

"We just passed 250,000 lines, so that's a lot of dialogue. But we've gone through it and the impact is really there, and that includes my favorite speech persuasion system,"

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Starfield is over 250,000 lines not 150,000.

"We just passed 250,000 lines, so that's a lot of dialogue. But we've gone through it and the impact is really there, and that includes my favorite speech persuasion system,"

My bad yea I saw that was an old quote! 250k voicelines is crazy. Im so glad we have a unvoiced character with a background we can decide for ourselves as well.

My bad yea I saw that was an old quote! 250k voicelines is crazy. Im so glad we have a unvoiced character with a background we can decide for ourselves as well.
Yeah, it’s a huge amount especially since half of it isn’t taken up by the main character.

I think the Witcher 3 had 450,000, but a fair amount of that was in long scripted cutscenes, and again the main character taking up almost half the dialogue (not that it wasn’t worth it for that type of game). Cut the Geralt lines out and Starfield is probably slightly over it.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

250k lines is crazy, I wonder how many hours of game-play it would take to experience every line of dialog at least once? Probably an awful lot, they should have done an achievement on it just to see if anyone could complete it. Achievement chasers would have been livid though. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MMaRsu

Yeah, it’s a huge amount especially since half of it isn’t taken up by the main character.

I think the Witcher 3 had 450,000, but a fair amount of that was in long scripted cutscenes, and again the main character taking up almost half the dialogue (not that it wasn’t worth it for that type of game). Cut the Geralt lines out and Starfield is probably slightly over it.

450k is just the words in the script I think but that should amount to 70/80k lines

Top Bottom