• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
header_zkok.png

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Developer: Team Ico | Bluepoint Games
Platform: PlayStation®3 system
Genre: Action-adventure, Puzzle
Rating: Teen (ESRB) 12 (PEGI)
Price: $39.99 | £34.99
Release Date: September 22, 2011 (JPN)* | September 27, 2011 (NA) | September 28, 2011 (EU)
*Released as separate titles

covers_jkig.png

*Includes 100 page artbook (very limited quantities)

Overview
Developed exclusively for the PlayStation®3 system, The ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection features remastered versions of both critically-acclaimed titles on a single Blu-ray Disc at full HD resolution. Originally developed for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, both titles have been upgraded with anti-aliased graphics running at 30 frames per second for a smooth gameplay experience on the PS3 system and in 7.1 surround sound. Additionally, the Blu-ray Disc compilation brings stereoscopic 3D support as well as PlayStation®Network (PSN) trophy support to the franchise for the first time (included for both games).

Both known for award-winning gameplay set in picturesque landscapes, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus feature gripping and immersive storytelling, as well as unique cinematic environments, enchanting musical scores and compelling action making them two of the industry’s most critically-acclaimed action adventure games to date.​

Features
  • ICO and Shadow of the Colossus on a single Blu-Ray disc
  • Remastered for 1080p resolution
    • Ico runs at full 1920x1080, Shadow of the Colossus runs at 960x1080
  • Two complete PSN Trophy sets
  • Fully 3D compatible
    • Runs in 720p in 3D mode
  • Morphological Anti-Aliasing (MLAA)
  • 7.1 surround sound
  • 30 frames per second
  • Behind the scenes videos and other extras
    • Exclusive Dynamic Themes
    • Early concept and prototype video montage of ICO
    • Early concept and prototype video montage of Shadow of the Colossus
    • Initial concept video for NICO, a game that was never made but turned into Shadow of the Colossus, including an on-camera introduction from creator Fumito Ueda
    • Candid 20+ minute round-table discussion between Fumito Ueda (creator), Kenji Kaido (producer) and Junichi Hosono (designer)
    • 12-minute behind-the-scenes video filmed on location at the SCEI offices in Japan featuring interviews with key production staff members about the making of ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian, as well as concept art and prototype footage of all the games, and exclusive never-before-seen footage of The Last Guardian

Custom Cover Art (by alr1ghtstart, Dreweyes, Rengoku)

Videos

Noob Tips
  • ICO
    • Play it first
    • Realize this is primarily a puzzle game
    • Don't expect super deep combat
    • The developers subscribe to the "less is more" philosophy, so don't expect HUDs and other "gamey" type things
    • Soak up the atmosphere while playing
    • Shift the camera around and notice the great level design (especially outside)
    • Don't push through just to reach the ending. The experience getting there is ICO's strong suit
    • Do not use a guide

• Shadow Of The Colossus
    • This is a puzzle game. The puzzles being how to kill the Colossi
    • Kill white tailed lizards for grip strength lengthening
    • Shoot fruit from trees to extend your lifebar
    • Between killing Colossi, just explore. There are many hidden paths and locations scattered throughout the land
    • You can jump from your horse, stand up on your horse, and shoot arrows while doing either.

Reviews
Metacritic - 91

Game Informer - 98
Yes, the controls in Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are rusty by current standards, but the basic mechanics aren't what made these games landmarks in the industry. These sad and compelling masterpieces create immersive worlds, interesting characters, and memorable journeys. That hasn't changed in the intervening years, and playing through them again in this unbeatable package only serves as a reminder that no other developer can imitate Team Ico's singular style.

Destructoid - 95
I really can't think of any other games that I'd recommend more. The originals are both so lovingly crafted and inspiring that I think gamers 50 years for now will still be talking about them. No, they're not perfect, but they're both fine examples of brilliant game design, and they both put forth an experience you won't soon forget. Please, play these games.

GamePro - 90
If you've yet to play either Ico or Shadow of the Colossus, then I can't recommend the Collection enough, and even if you've already spent a substantial amount of time with these two titles in their original incarnations, I'd still say that they're worth revisiting.

Eurogamer - 90
It's a lovely restoration job, then, and the kind of thing Ubisoft could learn a thing or two from. Beyond the joys of seeing the games sharper and less shaky, and in 3D if you've got the right telly, is the simple pleasure of having them on the same disc and the same loading menu, where you can flick back and forth between them and ponder the way that they fit together.

IGN - 85
Reminds me that video games can match the evocative and thrilling qualities of any other creative medium. While Ico's gameplay mechanics show their age and Shadow of the Colossus didn't quite take me to the same place it took me more than five years ago, this collection astounds.

alr1ght

ico_logo_glzs.png

Developer: Team Ico
Designers: Fumito Ueda | Kenji Kaido
Composer: Michiru Oshima
Players: 2
Rating: B (CERO) | 3+ (ELSPA) | Teen (ESRB) | G (OFLC) | 7+ (PEGI)
Original Release Date: September 24, 2001 (NA) | December 6, 2001 (JPN) | March 22, 2002 (EU)

Overview
Enter a world of enchantment and wonder, where once was, is nevermore. ICO, a mysterious boy, has been expelled from his village to an isolated castle. Within his confines, he begins to have eerie dreams of rescuing a young princess from the evil spirits that dwell within the fortress. Blurring the lines between fantasy and reality, ICO embarks on a quest to save the princess and along the way, discovers his own cryptic fate.​

Screenshots
ico_screen1_xkdk.jpg

ico_screen2_d8kv.jpg

ico_screen3_2k4y.jpg

ico_screen4_vkcj.jpg

ico_screen5_9k96.jpg

Artwork

Videos

Trophies
trophybronze_67om.png

• Rescue
    • Rescue Yorda.
  • Failure
    • Finish watching the demo scene confronting the Queen at the front gate stage.
trophysilver_17im.png

• Armed and Ready
    • Acquire Sword.
  • East Gate
    • Open East Gate.
  • West Gate
    • Open West Gate.
  • Farewell
    • Finish watching farewell demo with Yorda at the front gate stage.

trophygold_376k.png

• Royal Arms
    • Acquire Queen's Sword.
  • Emancipation
    • Clear the game.
  • Split the Watermelon
    • Bring the watermelon to Yorda upon completing 2nd time through.
  • Spiked Club
    • Acquire spiked club.
  • Shining Sword
    • Acquire shining sword.
  • Bench Warmer
    • Save at all save points.
  • Express Journey
    • Beat the game within 4 hours.
  • Castle Guide
    • Beat the game within 2 hours.
  • Unscathed Escape
    • Clear the game without viewing a game over screen.
trophyplatinum_47q1.png

• Enlightenment
    • Acquire all trophies.

alr1ght

sotc_logo_my8b.png

Developer: Team Ico
Designer: Fumito Ueda
Composer: Kow Otani
Players: 1
Rating: B (CERO) | Teen (ESRB) | M (OFLC) | 12+ (PEGI)
Original Release Date: October 18, 2005 (NA) | October 27, 2005 (JPN) | February 17, 2005 (EU)

Overview
Shadow of the Colossus is an emotional story of determination, resilience and ultimately triumph told through the direction of a unique visual style. Players take on the role of a young man mourning his lost loved one. In an undisturbed land, protected by a bridge of unimaginable design and a temple of untold fear, a powerful unknown voice offers an answer to the question of how to bring back a spirit lost from a cursed fate. The land is home to mountain-sized creatures that each possess the key to the power of revival. Armed with strong wits, a supernatural sword and a sturdy bow, players must explore majestic lands, locating and fighting each of the 16 Colossi on foot or horseback, while using great skill and resourcefulness. Players must climb treacherous mountains, swim above and below wild rivers, ride and run across impossibly large landscapes to battle against with these extraordinary beasts. In addition, players use intelligence and strategy to topple each giant as they search for the answer of revival.​

Screenshots
sotc_screen1_ak3k.jpg

sotc_screen2_7k6e.jpg

sotc_screen3_cjxd.jpg

sotc_screen4_m8l3.jpg

sotc_screen5_ljhs.jpg

Artwork

Videos

Tips

Trophies
trophybronze_67om.png

• Valley Wanderer
    • Defeat 1st Colossus.
  • The Sloth
    • Defeat 2nd Colossus.
  • Disturbed Sleep
    • Defeat 3rd Colossus.
  • Path of Gravestones
    • Defeat 4th Colossus.
  • Aerial Dance
    • Defeat 5th Colossus.
  • Entombed Giant
    • Defeat 6th Colossus.
  • Waves of Thunder
    • Defeat 7th Colossus.
  • Wall Scaler
    • Defeat 8th Colossus.
  • Slumbering Caveman
    • Defeat 9th Colossus.
  • Unknown Tracks
    • Defeat 10th Colossus.
  • Guardian Unleashed
    • Defeat 11th Colossus.
  • Silent Thunder
    • Defeat 12th Colossus.
  • Signs in the Sky
    • Defeat 13th Colossus.
  • Shielded Colossus
    • Defeat 14th Colossus.
  • Valley of the Fallen
    • Defeat 15th Colossus.
  • Final Colossus
    • Defeat 16th Colossus.
  • Hang Glider
    • Hang onto the hawk for more than 30 seconds.
  • Slippery Ride
    • Hang onto the fish for over 30 seconds.
trophysilver_17im.png

• The Forbidden
    • Clear the game in normal difficulty.
  • Wander and the Forbidden
    • Clear the game in hard difficulty.
  • Resistance
    • Endure being sucked into the light for over 1 minute in the ending.
  • Collector
    • Acquire all items available in normal time attack.
  • Agro Circus
    • Perform all stunt riding using Agro.
  • Tower of Prayer
    • Save at all save points.
trophygold_376k.png

• Climber
    • Reached the top of the shrine.
  • Meticulous Collector
    • Acquire all items available in hard time attack.
  • Cornucopia
    • Acquired all fruits in the world.
  • Endangered Lizards
    • Killed all shining lizards.
  • Stalwart Wander
    • Max out HP bar.
  • Mighty Wander
    • Max out stamina bar.
trophyplatinum_47q1.png

• Wander and the Colossus
    • Acquired all Trophies.

PS2 era showing the PS3 era how it's done..... again.

I would happily buy this game a dozen times over any new game releasing in the foreseeable future.

I'll be getting this, day one. No idea what to do with my Limited Editions of both games though. One is still factory sealed! Best sell 'em for a small fortune.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Oh crap that's right, this is next week. Why did I keep thinking this was late October? My wallet weeps.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Time to play ICO for the first time.

slider

Excuse the naive question (I should be better informed about landmark titles) but will these be available for DD?

Ueda's recent comments on this collection and TLG

Not that there weren't ideas along those lines. "There were some grander ideas," Ueda said, "such as changing Shadow's ending or adding some of the colossi that got cut from the original, and honestly having features like that would've been attractive from a business perspective. If we put just a few extras in, though, gamers would naturally expect more than what we could provide. Instead of just putting in a few half-baked things, I thought it'd be better to stick with the original concept of staying faithful to the base work. If I get another chance in the future to do a remake, I might wind up changing quite a lot more."

Four years later, Shadow of the Colossus was released. "Shadow was my second game as a director, so design-wise it's a bit better put together than Ico," Ueda said. "But the fact that there's this huge field with no enemies whatsoever on it was definitely something we could have only done at that point in time. Ico had no text-based tutorial, and Shadow went the next step forward by having zero non-colossi enemies at all. Those were both deliberate design decisions, but looking back now, I probably should have come up with a kinder approach."

Next, coming at some indeterminate time in the future, is The Last Guardian. Does Ueda see his past two games and the upcoming one as a trilogy? "They share a common thread of AI-driven characters," he replied, "whose charms can only be portrayed in game form -- Ico's Yorda, Shadow's Agro and the colossi, and The Last Guardian's Trico. You can build intriguing characters in movies and novels just as well, of course, but these artificial characters driven by human-like personalities are something you only see in games. Each project has grown from the knowledge learned in the previous, so in that respect, I do see it as a trilogy, though I can't guarantee that it won't become a quadrilogy or more in the future."

http://www.1up.com/news/fumito-ueda-reflects-ico-shadow

IrishNinja

combo-breakin' the OP is cold

cant wait, but that trophy list tells me im not gonna plat these unless i want to make chores of them/possibly hate them. still, day 1ish.

Johnas

Great job on the thread.

You might consider mentioning the reversible cover for the NA version in the OP, just in case anybody missed it in the other thread.

Beth Cyra

IrishNinja said:

cant wait, but that trophy list tells me im not gonna plat these unless i want to make chores of them/possibly hate them. still, day 1ish.
It was an accident. I already Apologized to A1r, when I saw the reviews I thought he was going for a minimum type approach and letting the content speak for itself.

Shurs

IrishNinja said:

I had actually typed up what would have been the first response, praising the OP for not overdoing it with the OT.

Guess it was a good thing I decided to hold off on posting it.

Qatar

Awesome OT

I never got the chance to play these games, too bad I can't play them now as they need much time and I really don't have that much time these days.

Top Bottom