• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

StuBurns

Banned
toythatkills said:
Fucking hell, it's ICO and SOTC, games with some of the most amazing art direction ever.

STOP TALKING ABOUT PIXELS!
Yes, how dare we warn people that 1080p causes slowdown which might hurt someone's experience of the game, what cunts we all are.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna get a PS3 some time next year, and will definitely be picking this up. I've played half of SotC, but none of Ico. Can't wait. <3

Rising_Hei

StuBurns said:
Yes, how dare we warn people that 1080p causes slowdown which might hurt someone's experience of the game, what cunts we all are.
Most of us played SOTC @ 15 fps, we can deal with it

StuBurns said:
Just for the record, in the instance of my post ! = not an entirely serious point.

I still think you're all weird though =P

leng jai

Got the Japanese LE preordered - this will be the first time I play these games.

I'm guessing these won't have subtitles. Is that going to be a big problem for this game? lol

These next two weeks can't pass quickly enough. This is is the only game that I've been willing to pre-order for a while, the next will probably be the Last Guardian.

sublimit

Banned
StuBurns said:

He has a point though.When it comes to Ico and SotC getting too much caught up in all these techinical minor details is like looking at the tree but failing to see the forest.

leng jai said:
Got the Japanese LE preordered - this will be the first time I play these games.

I'm guessing these won't have subtitles. Is that going to be a big problem for this game? lol

That is one of my worries as well even though dialogue is fairy minimal in this game (and if I recall correctly the original Ico did not have 'English' subtitles anyway during the first playthrough). I already beat both games and know what they are saying already but I would still like to have English subtitles, especially for SOTC. I will likely purchase the English editions down the line once it becomes cheaper though, will be importing it from the US because Canada lets down the reversible cover art lovers in all of us. :/

StuBurns

Banned
sublimit said:
He has a point though.When it comes to Ico and SotC getting too much caught up in all these techinical minor details is like looking at the tree but failing to see the forest.
This thread is technical different versions of the games, if you don't care about the difference, why are you here?

sublimit

Banned
StuBurns said:
This thread is technical different versions of the games, if you don't care about the difference, why are you here?

I thought this thread was also for talking about the gameplay brilliance and the sheer artistic beauty of those games.
Guess i was wrong,please continue counting the pixels.

StuBurns

Banned
sublimit said:
I thought this thread was also for talking about the gameplay brilliance and the sheer artistic beauty of those games.
Guess i was wrong,please continue counting the pixels.
Are you saying you are not buying this collection?

Bloodsent

Rising_Hei said:
Most of us played SOTC @ 15 fps, we can deal with it

Considering some of us didn't play SOTC because it ran at 15fps, it is at least worth knowing and allowing us the choice.

Brilliant. I made it worse.

Now instead of arguing about pixels, we're arguing about arguing about pixels.

Those games though, eh? The GAMES?

StuBurns

Banned
sublimit said:
I'm just wondering, if you don't care about the technical performance, are you going to buy these versions? There are other reasons to do so of course, just wondering.

Draft

toythatkills said:
Brilliant. I made it worse.

Now instead of arguing about pixels, we're arguing about arguing about pixels.

Those games though, eh? The GAMES?
The games are old as dirt and popular. They've been talked to pieces. There's not much left to discuss except the technical pieces of the HD versions.

StuBurns

Banned
Synless said:
Shadow of the Colossus runs at 960x1080? What an odd resolution and disappointing resolution.
It's not that odd, it allows for per pixel mapping with no horizontal scaling artifacts.

It will look much much better than 720p.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
toythatkills said:
These games would look awesome if they re-released them on SNES. It's just not important. If you care about this stuff a lot, you're wrong to.

It's not even relevant. They are what they are. It's not like you have some other version to choose from. Just appreciate the games for what they are.

These are HD remasters. Their pixels and performance are essential to the discussion in this thread. People are interested in this because they want to appreciate the games for what they are but with better graphics.

And don't tell people what they should or should not care about. It's fucking obnoxious.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Already got the collection pre-ordered at Amazon, so now I'm just eagerly awaiting the 10 days until it arrives at my doorstep.

In the meantime, I'm busying myself with an uber God of War-a-thon, playing all 5 titles on the PS3 in chronological order. I'm starting Ghost of Sparta tonight. Hopefully this will make the wait for Ico and SOTC HD bearable.

Man, I remember the first time I played the demo for Ico in an issue of Official PlayStation Magazine.

It was one of those games that I just kind of glanced over, because I wasn't sure what it was, but I must have played that demo over and over and over again. I still have my original Ico disc, in all it's CD-ROM glory.

I didn't think I'd enjoy Shadow of the Colossus more than I enjoyed Ico, but it's hard pressed for me to decide which one I love more. I'm leaning towards SOTC. The scale is just amazing.

Dynedom

STRAIGHT INTO MY VEINS

I never got around to playing through ICO. I can't wait. Playing it properly for the first time at an insane resolution/frame rate compared to the original.

I wish I was playing SOTC for the first time though. :( I envy all the SOTC virgins on GAF.

leng jai

toythatkills said:
These games would look awesome if they re-released them on SNES. It's just not important. If you care about this stuff a lot, you're wrong to.

It's not even relevant. They are what they are. It's not like you have some other version to choose from. Just appreciate the games for what they are.

A lot of people already own the PS2 versions - by your logic theres no point for them to buy it again on PS3. Obviously the technical aspect is important to them since its a HD remake.

The time I picked up the strategy guide after completing SotC once and saw the high res screenshots I thought "why can't I play THAT version?"

Then over a year later, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection is announced for PS3 in HD and my first thought is "I want SotC HD please" and proceeded to make numerous PS3 comments as such.

Then GOW 1+2 collection gets announced and at this point I was sucking whosever dick I needed to get this made. 50 gallons of
mouthwash
later, you have me to thank.

I'm not proud of this post.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
MoonsaultSlayer said:
The time I picked up the strategy guide after completing SotC once and saw the high res screenshots I thought "why can't I play THAT version?"

Then over a year later, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection is announced for PS3 in HD and my first thought is "I want SotC HD please" and proceeded to make numerous PS3 comments as such.

Then GOW 1+2 collection gets announced and at this point I was sucking whosever dick I needed to get this made. 50 gallons of
mouthwash
later, you have me to thank.

I'm not proud of this post.

lololololololololololol

I could write endlessly about these, but I'll resist for now. Look, if you've not played these yet please do. Don't read the thread, don't pre-form opinions, just play. Because the games work best that way. They'll surprise you. They're clever in a really quiet, sweet way that few games are. A good counterpoint is Metal Gear Solid I guess. Those games, as brilliant as they are (and they are) are big and flashy and about the big moment. Hell MGS3 builds up to one button press and is all the better for it. These are smaller, intimate. They're also about one button press, really, but in such a different manner it's breathtaking. We hold buttons down all the time, as gamers, but these pair made the act...a connection I guess.

As gaming strives for legitimacy we like to throw around terms like "The Citizen Cane of gaming" and so on. At it's root the phrase begs for a work that stretches and plays with the medium with the same confidence and bravado with which Orson Wells melded cinema to his vision, twisting it to tell a story in a unique way that only that medium could. With the full weight of such a statement in mind I really believe these games stand up to it, along with few others. They show a strength and confidence in a fledgling medium to make us think, feel and experience in new ways and, considering you post on these forums, you owe it to yourself to play them.

Enjoy.

I can't wait to see how the
sand flying snake
boss looks now. I've already experienced the PAL, NTSC and PC emulated versions of the game and now this will be my fourth playthrough.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
StuBurns said:
It's not that odd, it allows for per pixel mapping with no horizontal scaling artifacts.

It will look much much better than 720p.
960x1080 pretty much always looks about the same or worse than 720, thanks to pixels being rectangular instead of proportional squares :\ I'll play SotC in 720.

toythatkills said:
Well, there's PC emulated versions, but they have their own drawbacks, especially in case of Ico.

kikanny said:
Does the Canadian version have reversible cover?
Probably, Resistance 3 had it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Is there a valid reason SotC outputs at a lower resolution than friggin' GT5?
I'm trying to no start flippin' tables here, help me out ok?

If by "sick" you mean "SCARY AS FUCK KILL IT NOW!", then I agree. A lot of the colossi that they cut from the game have given me nightmares. Especially that worm one. (I think it's a worm?)

Have you guys ever had dreams based off of Wander and the Colossus? Good fucking night, they are scary as Hell.
I think there was a reason why these were cut.
you are supposed to feel bad about killing them.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Dissonance said:
Oh how I wish I had a PS3 for this... :(
Quoted for sadness... I did not foresee having to wait even longer to play these two games again, but I suppose I will have to.

Great OP. So excited I may just buy the Japanese CE anyway.

StuBurns

Banned
Lord Error said:
960x1080 pretty much always looks about the same or worse than 720, thanks to pixels being rectangular instead of proportional squares :\ I'll play SotC in 720.
I don't believe it would at all. No scaling is far better than scaling.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Ostinatto said:
i dont like the trophies killing all the atmosphere of the game.

They are pretty obnoxious with that chime and all. Doesn't make sense why we get these weekly firmware updates that do jack shit, and they still haven't thought to give us the option to turn those notifications off. Oh well.

I hate to be That Guy, but I have little interest in Ico, and SotC's PS2 framerate and general emptiness killed it for me the first time around before I even got to the second colossus.

This is in my GF queue though, and I am going to give both their fair shake. I'm enthusiastic about seeing if I can "get" SotC now that I think I can play though it without getting a headache.

iammeiam

I keep checking play-asia, hoping they've opened preorders for the Asian LE version, and keep being disappointed. Can't believe how quickly the Japanese LE sold out.

iammeiam said:
I keep checking play-asia, hoping they've opened preorders for the Asian LE version, and keep being disappointed. Can't believe how quickly the Japanese LE sold out.
I had a pre-order at play-asia but it got cancelled, for whatever reason...

W1SSY

I have never played either of these so I will probably pick it up. Really glad they have reversible boxart for the US release because the stock one is horrible.

Top Bottom