• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

pslayer666 said:
She's a real dumb bitch sometimes. I have no beef with her though. I would be too, if
i was locked up in a bird cage for god only knows how long

Also, did you guys notice how she just wanders off and follows the birds sometimes when you leave her alone? Or is it just me? :p

Yeah she definitely chases birds, the cutie! Also, she moves her head and looks at things too. I don't remember this from the original NTSC version. Maybe they added that for PAL?

KennyLinder said:
Yeah she definitely chases birds, the cutie! Also, she moves her head and looks at things too. I don't remember this from the original NTSC version. Maybe they added that for PAL?

You can call me crazy, but there were also bits where I thought she was trying to tell me what to do! She would stand somewhere and then point with her index in the direction of things I should be doing something to or we should be going and scream some gibberish. Did you notice that too?

And yes, she is kinda cute! :-|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think the Ico version they used for the collection is the PAL version.

Yorda is ok and cute in a non-speedrun playthrough. However if you're speedrunning, you'll hate her guts because she'll just start chasing birds out of the blue.

KennyLinder said:
No worries! Yep for the sewer, just kill 'em unless you manage to do it. I tried so many times, and the closest I got was getting Yorda in the right position so she wouldn't get grabbed instantly, BUT once I got into the sewer she just wouldn't come when I called her and the gate shut again. I just killed the shadows and carried on so there really is only a few enemies.

Yeah, fuck it. My aim is not to make the fastest run in the game over. Just get the time under two hours. I will give it a go and see later on how my times compare with other bench-marked times. If I see I have a problem, I will go back to that save and give it another go.

Also, if you haven't, use the jump and attack move, it's great at taking out shadows. You can also make ICO do some very fast direction changes by flicking the analog stick in the direction you want and jumping, it works well (especially for the end room with loads of shadows). Another tip if you haven't already is to only attack when the shadows are on their feet, or you lose vital hits. So knock 'em to the ground, and don't swing again until they are just on their feet, then you can get another clean hit, hit, hit in.

Hmmm. i didn't know that. I thought that hitting them while on the ground worked. So you're saying wait for them to get up again and then hit'em again once they're up? Awesome!!

ULTROS! said:
I think the Ico version they used for the collection is the PAL version.

Yorda is ok and cute in a non-speedrun playthrough. However if you're speedrunning, you'll hate her guts because she'll just start chasing birds out of the blue.

Yeap, it is the PAL version they used for the collection.

If I manage to get up to the 1 hour mark in my speed run tonight, I'll be a happy chap!!! :D Any birds I see I will kill!!! :p

pslayer666 said:
Yeah, fuck it. My aim is not to make the fastest run in the game over. Just get the time under two hours. I will give it a go and see later on how my times compare with other bench-marked times. If I see I have a problem, I will go back to that save and give it another go.

Hmmm. i didn't know that. I thought that hitting them while on the ground worked. So you're saying wait for them to get up again and then hit'em again once they're up? Awesome!!

You can hit them when on the ground but I could never get three hits in, so I wait until the they're on their feet before hitting them.

Pachimari

I have had this collection sitting on my desk since before the launch, yet I haven't started playing it. I played both titles, but never completed them on the PS2, so I might just start it off today. =)

wouwie

pslayer666 said:
You can call me crazy, but there were also bits where I thought she was trying to tell me what to do! She would stand somewhere and then point with her index in the direction of things I should be doing something to or we should be going and scream some gibberish. Did you notice that too?

And yes, she is kinda cute! :-|

It took me a while to realise this when playing, but this is by far the neatest in game help system i've encountered. At one point i was stuck and all of a sudden, Yorda was calling my name and pointing me in the right direction. It just felt natural. Such a nice little touch.

kizmah

Zoibie said:
Stay with it, it can definitely feel frustrating for the first couple of colossi when you're just getting used to the controls, but once get the hang of it, you'll start to really like it. That's not to say there aren't more frustrating moments, mind.

No worries there man, I like it already. The otherworldly atmosphere, the setting and the aweinspiring colossi are all amazing and more than make up for the somewhat frustrating controls. I really loved Ico as well so, Ueda *bow*

wouwie said:
It took me a while to realise this when playing, but this is by far the neatest in game help system i've encountered. At one point i was stuck and all of a sudden, Yorda was calling my name and pointing me in the right direction. It just felt natural. Such a nice little touch.

Yeap, and it all makes sense because she does know the layout of the castle/temple
(right? she is from there or something like that, maybe I get it wrong though)
. Only problem is that she speaks in that non-sense language.

When I'm done with the speed run i'll do another game + just so I see what she's really saying, since the gibberish subtitles are replaced with English then. :)

Pachimari

Lol, I'm already stuck in ICO, but I won't give up, as I intend to complete it today and enjoy the atmosphere.
I just freed Yorda, but I can't for the life of me remember what to do, it has been too many years.

Edit: Oh, accidentally found my way out.

SamuraiX-

ULTROS! said:
I just want to share my Yorda annoyances. The others were (slightly) cake but this one is incredibly stupid and I wasted over 2 minutes:

During the Eastern tower and after opening the last gate with Yorda, I proceed to the elevator going directly towards the entrance. Apparently even if I drag Yorda along, she won't step into the elevator. I went up and down more than 4 times until she finally stepped into the elevator.

Absolutely hated that shit. I think that's more of the game's fault than Yorda though.

There's an art to getting it right the first time and I thought I had it down... until I fucked up on my previous speed run. D:<

The best tribute I can offer to these two games :

trofeos-ico--sotc.jpg

Platinum'd them both X3. (BTW The SOTC was a bitch to get with the "find all the fruis in the world trophy"... specially the last 48 ones XD)

Mzo

Sleep Arrest said:
Is there any way to make the controls for Shadow of the Colossus not suck? I play inverted Y axis on all my games, but I like the standard X axis...

And I feel like the standard Japanese controls are inverted X axis with a regular Y axis. And even with inverted Y, the light pointing at the world is still messed up.

>_> I hate just having to adjust to horrible control schemes because a developer has failed to fix it. I'd gladly eat those words if I can fix it, but I don't think I can.
It's not horrible, it's just different.

When I play a game I try to move the camera and it's like "oh, it moves in this direction. OK." And then I'm good. Don't see what's so hard about it.

goonergaz

Blood Boal said:

trofeos-ico--sotc.jpg

Platinum'd them both X3. (BTW The SOTC was a bitch to get with the "find all the fruis in the world trophy"... specially the last 48 ones XD)

wow

on a side note, are there any games you haven't got plat on!? lol

Lttp, but I finally picked this up. I've owned both SoTC and ICO before, but I can't wait to dive in again.

SoTC holds a special place in my heart because it was a bonding experience with my brother's first born son. My nephew is a gamer tried and true these days, but he was still a kid back then. 7 or 8 maybe.
I think it was about five years ago that he visited my parents for a good two weeks. (His dad lives in Florida, so it wasn't often he got to spend so much time with the grandparents) Knowing he liked games a lot, my folks asked if I could let him have the PS2 and a bunch of games during his vacation. No problem I said. He stumbled upon SoTC and from what my poor parents told me he just galloped around on the horse for hours. Of course my folks are old, so they couldn't figure out where he was supposed to go or what he was supposed to be doing.

Flash forward a few months to Thanksgiving of that year. This was like 2006. He was talking about the horse game and how much he liked it, but didn't know what to do. So, as the cool uncle who still played video games, I told him I would teach him. I taught him how to use the sword to find the collosi. At first I'd climb them for him. Then I'd pause when I got the weak spot and he'd go to town. About half way through the game he got braver and braver, wanting to do everything himself.

I don't know what I'm trying to say, but it was so cool to see this kid just completely and utterly enamored by the game and that world when he was used to playing liscensed garbage. It took me back to the days of my four siblings huddling around my oldest brother's 12-inch CRT while he played the likes of SMB, Punch-Out, Metal Gear and Zelda.

When did the guy with the Wanderer, all my friends are dead avatar get banned btw? I don't know him, but I hope it wasn't a perma. Unless he said something stupid of course.

Oni Jazar

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but anyone notice in the menu for selecting ICO or SOTC there's a structure in the middle? Anyone have a clear shot of that and knows what it's about?

SamuraiX-

Oni Jazar said:
I'm sure this has been mentioned before but anyone notice in the menu for selecting ICO or SOTC there's a structure in the middle? Anyone have a clear shot of that and knows what it's about?

ViIpS.jpg

The 2nd to last pic down? Isn't that the Shrine of Worship/Dormin's Temple?

On another note, finally got the Castle Guide trophy in ICO.

To all those hoping to do it without saving or only saving at the last save bench, I strongly encourage a save at the
West Gate tower
since it feels like there's a lot to keep track of at that point in the game and you can easily derp yourself into wasting time. Save yourself from having to make 3 attempts at it like me. :(

LordCanti

SamuraiX- said:
The 2nd to last pic down? Isn't that the Shrine of Worship/Dormin's Temple?

Happen to have a link to those in higher quality? I know only bits of them are official art, but those are really well done.

I'm having some trouble with the 3rd collossus.
I figured out that I gotta climb his sword, but then I don't know what to do. The game keeps telling me his armor appears to be brittle, but nothing happens when I shoot it with arrows and most of the other armor is too high off the ground to hit with my sword

I really like figuring out stuff on my own in games, so I'm not asking for the answer. But maybe a very subtle hint would be nice.

Is there anything else I can do besides shoot arrows, swing my sword, roll, climb, grip and run? Maybe there's an available action I'm not aware of...

jett

D-Member
ArachosiA 78 said:
I figured out that I gotta climb his sword, but then I don't know what to do. The game keeps telling me his armor appears to be brittle, but nothing happens when I shoot it with arrows and most of the other armor is too high off the ground to hit with my sword

I really like figuring out stuff on my own in games, so I'm not asking for the answer. But maybe a very subtle hint would be nice.

Is there anything else I can do besides shoot arrows, swing my sword, roll, climb, grip and run? Maybe there's an available action I'm not aware of...

Hint:
Maybe you can break his armor indirectly.

Bigger hint:
Make the colossus break his own armor. Look at your surroundings.

ArachosiA 78 said:

This goes for most of the colossi. Is there anything odd that you notice in the boss grounds? Anything unique? If all else fails think music. An echo. Reverb.

Curufinwe

I've killed six colossi so far, but #5 took me forever because I kept falling off. But I've only found and killed one white-tailed lizard so far. Would it be worth the time to go to every save point and kill all of them before I go after #7? I fell like a small increase in my stamina bar would make things a lot more enjoyable.

Curufinwe

jett said:
Hint:
Maybe you can break his armor indirectly.

Bigger hint:
Make the colossus break his own armor. Look at your surroundings.

I never did either.
I just eventually managed to jump on his side from his sword and then climb up to his head.

Lol... for this colossus youtube is full of incredible super jumps I never would have tried in a million years.

gdt

I'm digging back into Ico (after Dark Souls came by and invaded my life. Batman AC too) and I have no idea what to do. I'm at the Stone Tower, where I left Yorda on a wooden plank thing. I crawl across the side of the wall, take the chain rope down, swing, and then push a box through a window back to an area I was at not too long ago. What's next? How do I get Yorda across the gap?

plastik

gdt5016 said:
I'm digging back into Ico (after Dark Souls came by and invaded my life. Batman AC too) and I have no idea what to do. I'm at the Stone Tower, where I left Yorda on a wooden plank thing. I crawl across the side of the wall, take the chain rope down, swing, and then push a box through a window back to an area I was at not too long ago. What's next? How do I get Yorda across the gap?

Call her to get her to stand on the moving platform and then hit the switch to move it over.

SamuraiX-

gdt5016 said:

Hint:
you pushed that box down into that area for a reason.

Himself

Just finished SotC. Crazy how one of my favorite games on PS3 is a collection of PS2 games. They really do put pretty much every single player adventure game of this generation to absolute shame.

flyover

Curufinwe said:
I've killed six colossi so far, but #5 took me forever because I kept falling off. But I've only found and killed one white-tailed lizard so far. Would it be worth the time to go to every save point and kill all of them before I go after #7? I fell like a small increase in my stamina bar would make things a lot more enjoyable.
Only if you're having trouble, or if you think touring around the land and hunting the lizards is fun. They don't add that much stamina. Beating the colossi gives you more.

Then again, since you're relatively early in the game -- and on your first playthrough -- the amount they do add will help you now more than it would later.

I love going around and finding them, but it does take a while.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Colossus #9 has 100% killed my desire to finish this game.

I know what to do, but i just dont have the patience to sit there and lead that big piece of dogshit over the sand blasts. Takes way too long, and this battle makes the camera spaz out like crazy too. When he finally does flip i cant get to where i need to get before he flips back over again....all i can do is climb the grass part of his underside. No time to do it before he flips. Im sure theres a faster way im not aware of, or i cant remember since i did beat this back on ps2 in the day.

Maybe ill come back to this game again after Uncharted 3 and Zelda, but im done for now i think....too frustrating.

After having a save at the Main Gate at 1:29:xx which was not really optimal since the last bits of the game will take about 33 minutes to do, I replayed the game from the last Save at East Arena to Main gate and managed to get a save at 1:24:xx. I am fucking stoked!!! :D I think i'll be getting the speed run finished tonight.

That piston jump though.... grrrrrrrrrr. I got the water wheel on my first try, that piston jump still took me 4-5 tries to get right o_O
I hate it!

Also Yorda, when you are coming up a ladder, why the fuck do you sometimes just stop and go down again? Wtf, you dumb bitch!!! :p

Yorda 3>

I got my Platinum on ICO last night.

1h.56m.00s was my final save on the beach.
1h.23m.46s was my time at the Main Gate save.

I fall off the rotating barrel twice during the last sequence and probably could of saved 15 seconds off the final shadows battle. Flawless though otherwise so there is a tiny bit of room for error.

Now onto SotC :) It's been a few years since I last played it.

Blood Boal said:

trofeos-ico--sotc.jpg

Nice!
How are the Hard Time Trials? I remember giving up on them on PS2.

Which order did you play the game?

Normal
Normal Time Trial
Hard
Hard Time Trial
Then re-load Normal for lizard/fruit hunting?

How many times did you have to replay the game on the same save to have enough stamina/energy maxed and get up the tower?

KennyLinder said:
I got my Platinum on ICO last night.

1h.56m.00s was my final save on the beach.
1h.23m.46s was my time at the Main Gate save.

I fall off the rotating barrel twice during the last sequence and probably could of saved 15 seconds off the final shadows battle. Flawless though otherwise so there is a tiny bit of room for error.

Now onto SotC :) It's been a few years since I last played it.

Awesome!!!

I'm like half a minute ahead of your save at the Main Gate, so I guess I'll be able to manage it too tonight. If it works out I'll be done with the game by tomorrow (I'll have to play it once more for the [spoilers] watermelon trophy and the light-saber one [/spoiler].

Then it'll be SoTC for me too! Only difference is I never played it before. I know I will be blown away though. :-D

People will think I'm crazy but I'm not even touching Uncharted 3 until I'm done with that game too. ( well, at least not touching it till it gets here, which will be on the 4th :p )

KennyLinder said:
Nice!
How are the Hard Time Trials? I remember giving up on them on PS2.

Which order did you play the game?

Normal
Normal Time Trial
Hard
Hard Time Trial
Then re-load Normal for lizard/fruit hunting?

How many times did you have to replay the game on the same save to have enough stamina/energy maxed and get up the tower?

I had to replay the game 4 times on Normal (actually with 3 times beating the game is enough) and 1 on Hard difficulty.

The hardest time-trial for me was the 3rd Colossus (had to use a youtube video for killing the bastard XD) so If you've trouble with that one I recomend searching for the video.

The others time-trials.. with one or two tries you'll get them done.

And the order I did follow to get the platinum is the one you've post.

Himself

pslayer666 said:
Awesome!!!

People will think I'm crazy but I'm not even touching Uncharted 3 until I'm done with that game too. ( well, at least not touching it till it gets here, which will be on the 4th :p )

Makes perfect sense. I have U3 coming day 1, but having finished SotC yesterday, I need to give it some time. There are some gameplay and scenario similarities that SotC does so much better than U3. Mainly the climbing/cliffhanging/traversal stuff.

I'd like tp play something a little different in between.

Top Bottom