• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection |OT| Ueda *bow*

flyover

I haven't seen this posted anywhere before. The score from Happy Feet Two (of all movies) rips off -- or pays homage to -- a musical cue from Shadow of the Colossus. It's even in the same key.

Remember the pretty-yet-sinister music from the final colossus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjZ0ldBqk6o#t=0m59s

Well, give it a beat and it becomes "Tappin' to Freedom":

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCK23pa9vQY#t=0m13s

My wife was watching the movie yesterday and noticed it.

leroidys

sorry for the off-topic, I just wanted to share this little tribute to ICO that I made. It's a really short video, hope you like it ;)

http://youtu.be/K9gKDHZHXrE

ico.jpg

Wow, great job.

Nintaiyo

I have to say, I wasn't enjoying ICO very much. The puzzles were very rote, and babysitting Yorda was frustrating, but I found the last hour of the game very touching--some great moments in there.

Hanmik

the games are out on EU PSN later today..

Ico & Shadow of The Colossus Classics (£19.99/€29.99) Rating: PEGI 12
Availability: All Locales
File Size: 8 GB

Ico Classics (£13.99/€17.99) Rating: PEGI 12
File Size: 1759 MB

Shadow of The Colossus Classics (£13.99/€17.99) Rating: PEGI 12
File Size: 6160 MB

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Interesting that Ico is as big as FFVIII. :p

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
The PSN release might not have the bonus vids (just a guess), as I'm not sure how they would include them, seeing as they're listed under the regular XMB on the disc release.

finished both of these in the past few days. so good, just as amazing as i remembered them to be.. ICO was much, much harder than i remembered though, i was raging constantly getting knocked down by the shadow enemies and getting a game over because there was absolutely no way i could've ran fast enough to save Yorda. ARGH! i have no idea what i did wrong.

and about SotC, how the hell can you climb to the secret garden? i got tons of stamina from killing the shiny tailed lizards and i just couldn't climb anywhere near the place... really pissed me off. how do you actually do it, do you really have to beat the game 2-3 times to gain enough stamina or something? that would be so annoying..

magawolaz

I'm trying to get the 'Castle Guide' trophy in Ico, right now I am at
East Arena, 42minutes. Still need to activate the east door. Is that too much or will I finish in time?

Syn23

East Arena, 42minutes. Still need to activate the east door. Is that too much or will I finish in time?

I'm happy to see that you're playing the game too magawolaz. : )
I'd say that you were a little too slow on the first part, and just to be sure I would advise you to restart your speedrun. For reference, here it's a list of the timestamps that you approximately need to have at the savepoints:

SAVE 1 - Graveyard (0:16:00)
SAVE 2 - Windmill (0:23:00)
SAVE 3 - Stone Pillar (0:29:00) Upon arrival
SAVE 4 - East Arena (0:34:45) Upon arrival
SAVE 5 - East Arena (0:42:45) Upon departure
SAVE 6 - Waterfall (0:56:45)
SAVE 7 - Water Tower (1:02:00)
SAVE 8 - West Idol Stairs (1:10:45) Upon arrival
SAVE 9 - Main Gate (1:21:00)
Final time - 1:52:55

Hydrargyrus

I've trying to get the ICO trophy "castle tour" or something, that you have to beat the game in less than 2 hours... but I quit... this is not for me.

I've only done one save, at graveyard, with 17 minutes, but it's too boring to repeat the same with that stupid Yorda xD

Maybe I'll try to platinize SoTC...

Syn23

I've trying to get the ICO trophy "castle tour" or something, that you have to beat the game in less than 2 hours... but I quit... this is not for me.

I've only done one save, at graveyard, with 17 minutes, but it's too boring to repeat the same with that stupid Yorda xD

Maybe I'll try to platinize SoTC...
You better not even consider it. I'd say SotC platinum it's more difficult than ICO's one in every way. It's a lot more time consuming, requires more skill and it's definitely a lot more frustrating/boring.

magawolaz

I'd say that you were a little too slow on the first part, and just to be sure I would advise you to restart your speedrun. For reference, here it's a list of the timestamps that you approximately need to have at the savepoints:

Holy shi- :lol
I'm damn slow. I hate speedruns ç_ç
Cheers Syn, thanks for the times. And I'll probably look for a walkthrough on YT, so I can see what I'm doing wrong...

way more

I'm not really digging Sotc. I've beat three creatures and so far it just seems like a grip meter simulator. Does it open up or become more diverse?

I'm loving ICO so far.

Well, maybe I'm just an idiot but I played SotC for about 20 minutes and don't know if I'll pick it up again. I played Ico and absolutely loved it, but what the fuck is up with the controls in SotC? The horse constantly gets stuck in crap, refuses to move, and the pressing O and holding the sword up to the light seems to do basically nothing. I can turn 90 degrees left, hold it up and it points straight ahead. Then I can do a 180 and hold it up and it points straight ahead again. So it basically tells me no information. If I try to follow it to wherever it's pointing me, I end up at a dead end. Even when the horse isn't getting me stuck in the terrain, it's still acting like an idiot because it won't turn correctly or go where I want it to. Hell, even getting on the horse is a challenge as unless you're positioned exactly right, you'll just jump your away around the horse in circles like a total idiot.

No idea what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go.

Well, maybe I'm just an idiot but I played SotC for about 20 minutes and don't know if I'll pick it up again. I played Ico and absolutely loved it, but what the fuck is up with the controls in SotC? The horse constantly gets stuck in crap, refuses to move, and the pressing O and holding the sword up to the light seems to do basically nothing. I can turn 90 degrees left, hold it up and it points straight ahead. Then I can do a 180 and hold it up and it points straight ahead again. So it basically tells me no information. If I try to follow it to wherever it's pointing me, I end up at a dead end. Even when the horse isn't getting me stuck in the terrain, it's still acting like an idiot because it won't turn correctly or go where I want it to. Hell, even getting on the horse is a challenge as unless you're positioned exactly right, you'll just jump your away around the horse in circles like a total idiot.

I feel the same about the controls. Just awful.

I owned this game on PS2, never got too far though. Love ICO though, still holds up brilliantly.

Anyone have suggestions for dealing with the controls and/or climbing up the colossus?

I feel like such a noob.

Just wait, there are going to be an influx of people blaming you for just not getting the horse controls and going on and on about how immersive they are.

I agree with you, though, the horse was torture for me. Got to the 12th Colossus before I gave up.

Just wait, there are going to be an influx of people blaming you for just not getting the horse controls and going on and on about how immersive they are.

I agree with you, though, the horse was torture for me. Got to the 12th Colossus before I gave up.

I wish I could say I even got to the first one. Couldn't even figure out where the hell I was supposed to go. I guess it had something to do with holding the sword up to the light and it "telling me where to go", but all I got was a whole lot of nothing when I held it up. Regardless of which direction I was facing, it would always just point in the direction I was facing. A few times it would actually cause the camera to turn when I held the sword up, and when I tried to go in those directions, I just ended up at a literal dead end.

I wish I could say I even got to the first one. Couldn't even figure out where the hell I was supposed to go. I guess it had something to do with holding the sword up to the light and it "telling me where to go", but all I got was a whole lot of nothing when I held it up. Regardless of which direction I was facing, it would always just point in the direction I was facing. A few times it would actually cause the camera to turn when I held the sword up, and when I tried to go in those directions, I just ended up at a literal dead end.

Are you focusing the light with the sword? Go in the direction where the light is focused like a laser, that is the correct direction and should get you to the first one. They switch it up later where it becomes cloudier and the light isnt as bright or the path isnt as obvious but the first half dozen, at least, should be pretty straightforward.

jett

D-Member

That is uh really strange that you don't get how the sword works. It's fairly obvious where you need to go when you hold it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MnbW9mnICRQ#t=406s

To have an easier time saddling up jump in the horse's direction and hold R1 to grab on to it. The horse by the way navigates on it own, it doesn't work like Zelda, you can't control it like a car. Just steer him in the general direction and hold X, the horse will do the rest.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I feel the same about the controls. Just awful.

I owned this game on PS2, never got too far though. Love ICO though, still holds up brilliantly.

Anyone have suggestions for dealing with the controls and/or climbing up the colossus?

I feel like such a noob.

I completely reconfigured the controls for my SotC playthrough and it made the experience so much better.

In fact I think my setup should have been default, because it (imo) made some of the more complex, layered actions more intuitive. Like when have to ride + flip around and zoom/shoot the bow. I also remember the horse controlling way better along the narrow (often-janky) forest paths and such.

I'd say, now that you have an idea what the game is and wants you to do... go back and reconfigure the controls to what you think "makes sense". There are better configs than the default.

magawolaz

Improved :)
East Arena (arrival) 0:35.xx

Erasus

The horse controls are a bit weird yea, but I got used to them. You can try teaking the controls in the options menu too.

But the light beam is very straight forward in the beginning, I only had problems on the later ones where it in fact leads you wrong. Its not 100% straight follow, you gotta think a bit :p But for the later ones I had to walkthorugh it.

Love both the games, first time every playing them was this fall

That is uh really strange that you don't get how the sword works. It's fairly obvious where you need to go when you hold it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MnbW9mnICRQ#t=406s

To have an easier time saddling up jump in the horse's direction and hold R1 to grab on to it. The horse by the way navigates on it own, it doesn't work like Zelda, you can't control it like a car. Just steer him in the general direction and hold X, the horse will do the rest.

If my sword were doing what the one in the video was doing i guess it would be pretty obvious. I travelled to 4 ends of the map, using the sword probably 10-15 times, and never saw it do that.

So I have £30 left in my wallet and I'm thinking of getting this instead of RE5 GOLD and Just Cause 2, but I need to know if they are easy to get into. I don't mind slow games or challenging games, but I'm in the mood for a simple adventure game, will this be suitable?

Got this for christmas and started ICO for the first time.

So here is my question: is there no way to save after
Yorda is taken by the Queen?

Trying to get the no dying trophy, but i always die at the most stupid places.

Ill Saint

The horse is not a car. You're not supposed to steer him around constantly, just give the controls a nudge and he does the rest. I don't understand the difficulty you're having with the sword. As you move around and hold it up, you shoud see the light come together into a point. Go in that general direction to get to where you need to be.

Oldschool

So I have £30 left in my wallet and I'm thinking of getting this instead of RE5 GOLD and Just Cause 2, but I need to know if they are easy to get into. I don't mind slow games or challenging games, but I'm in the mood for a simple adventure game, will this be suitable?

Yes.

I played Ico for the first time and finished it very recently. Man what an epic adventure. Very touching. Became one of my favorite games ever.

You wont regret this collection.

Ridley327

Got this for christmas and started ICO for the first time.

So here is my question: is there no way to save after
Yorda is taken by the Queen?

Trying to get the no dying trophy, but i always die at the most stupid places.

Yeah, the bench by the entrance to the bridge is the absolute last save point in the game.

You're safe for a bit as far as dangers are concerned, but the cliffs can be uncooperative at times due to the fixed camera angles. Once you're past that, the only real danger after that is
fighting the Queen and getting hit by her energy wave.

I really need to get around to playing SOTC. My experience with it on PS2 was so bad I just can't get motivated to do it.

That and the fact Ico was so good I think it will pale in comparison to it.

I'll try to start it before the month is out, I think.

mshlive

I had never played either of these games before so from all the good recommendations I asked for them for Christmas. So far I've only played Ico and it was incredible, its been a long time since I've completed a game the day I started it, obviously the game isn't the longest but it's just so charming that I was hooked as soon as I started.

Firstly, I was impressed by how beautiful the game is. At certain points it just hit me and it was helped by the great art direction but the game genuinely looks stunning. My only disappointment with the game was how easy it was, I think the only point I struggled at was the
piston jump
simply because of how tough the timing was. Needless to say though I've already completed the game twice and I'm now looking to do a third playthrough for the speed run trophy which should be fun.

I'm really looking forward to SotC now, should I expect more or is the general consensus that Ico is better?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

The sword's beam is what you need to pay attention to. It always faces forwards, but the beam focuses into a single line when you're pointing the right way. You also need to be standing in the sun for this to work, which shouldn't be a problem at the start of the game, but occasionally later on you'll find yourself in the shade during a trip to a colossus.

As for the horse, I won't tell you it's immersive, realistic, horse-controls because it doesn't matter what it is if you don't like it. I will suggest that you keep playing, though, and get used to it. Eventually you'll need to be able to control the horse during a fight, but the game gives you a good amount of time to learn how to ride before it raises the stakes like that.

Also, figure out how the lock on camera works because you'll need that for the horseback portions of the fights later on. Basically, you can lock on with your bow drawn, then release lock on, and you'll be able to free aim your bow while the horse navigates itself more or less. If you make it that far, you'll be glad you know this.

Audioboxer

Got this tonight from blockbuster for £14.99. Says it's second hand, but the code for the dynamic themes and behind the scenes videos works. Maybe just got lucky.

Sad to see both themes don't go fullscreen on my HDTV - Must be made for overscan.

ScOULaris

Audίoboxer;33937409 said:
Got this tonight from blockbuster for £14.99. Says it's second hand, but the code for the dynamic themes and behind the scenes videos works. Maybe just got lucky.

Sad to see both themes don't go fullscreen on my HDTV - Must be made for overscan.
Go into the options for both games and turn on Full Pixel mode.

Yeah, the bench by the entrance to the bridge is the absolute last save point in the game.

You're safe for a bit as far as dangers are concerned, but the cliffs can be uncooperative at times due to the fixed camera angles. Once you're past that, the only real danger after that is
fighting the Queen and getting hit by her energy wave.

Thanks for the answer.

I finished it just now :)

Well I just started playing SotC off this collection for the first time in 3 years, but damn, is it just me or are the controls significantly worse? Like, when I first played it back then it was a breeze, but now I'm having a REALLY difficult time just keeping ahold of the colossi and jumping across their body structures. It's bad to the point where it got extremely frustrating, and the third colossus just made turn off the game in frustration.

I don't understand, I really enjoyed this game when I first played it three years ago, but now these controls are kind of getting on my nerves. Anyone else feel similarly?

Top Bottom