• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 minutes til Clash of Heroes!!
Does it comes out at midnight? Minute 1!

Cook, Serve, Delicious is really fun, kind of feel like a dick for not buying it.

Just got my first perfect day.

JDnNsY6.jpg

I think I might get tired of it quit if this is all there is to it, I'm curious to see what happens when I hit two stars.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Living up to my avatar.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
EHA4K4T4TERE

Mass Effect Infiltrator
Y6TTTRF6H467

Mirror’s Edge
6NJNKYYARXJE

Rayman Jungle Run
KHAE6TRPNFPT
Y49LFMXYPXHR
F6RRX39MNNMR
FPARYWAM37HY
7K9X93N7X766
JFF99WWALE36
WTA3REKJNMLF

GWX

Living up to my avatar.

EHA4K4T4TERE

Mass Effect Infiltrator
Y6TTTRF6H467

Mirror’s Edge
6NJNKYYARXJE

Rayman Jungle Run
KHAE6TRPNFPT
Y49LFMXYPXHR
F6RRX39MNNMR
FPARYWAM37HY
7K9X93N7X766
JFF99WWALE36
WTA3REKJNMLF

Grabbed Battlefield thinking it was an iPad game, but thanks for the giveaway!

Whooter

Living up to my avatar.

EHA4K4T4TERE

Mass Effect Infiltrator
Y6TTTRF6H467

Mirror’s Edge
6NJNKYYARXJE

Rayman Jungle Run
KHAE6TRPNFPT
Y49LFMXYPXHR
F6RRX39MNNMR
FPARYWAM37HY
7K9X93N7X766
JFF99WWALE36
WTA3REKJNMLF

Grabbed the third Rayman code. Thank you very much!

Miker

I'd appreciate any Clash of Heroes iPhone 5 impressions from anybody who bought it. My girlfriend has beaten the DS and PC versions and still wants more, but all she has is an iPhone, and I'd like to hear more about the port before I give her the thumbs up to buy it again.

Hell yeah, finally.

My GC is Dinner Cat, add me if you're getting the game, I can't wait to get some games going.

I smile every time someone orders a water with flavor blast in CSD.

I'd appreciate any Clash of Heroes iPhone 5 impressions from anybody who bought it. My girlfriend has beaten the DS and PC versions and still wants more, but all she has is an iPhone, and I'd like to hear more about the port before I give her the thumbs up to buy it again.

Will do before I go to bed tonight, I have it downloading on my iPad and iPod Touch 5G.

Phone/ iPod version is 500MB.

Hell yeah, finally.

My GC is Dinner Cat, add me if you're getting the game, I can't wait to get some games going.

I smile every time someone orders a water with flavor blast in CSD.

Will do before I go to bed tonight, I have it downloading on my iPad and iPod Touch 5G.

Phone/ iPod version is 500MB.

That's for the download - after it installs it's 1.9 gigs.

That's for the download - after it installs it's 1.9 gigs.

Yeah, you're right. I wonder why they don't just put 1.9 in the app info. I thought maybe the phone version was smaller since the assets don't have to be as high a resolution.

I've noticed Topia has been on the front page of the App Store for a long time, is that still supposed to be getting an update to add more gameplay?

Flunkie

Banned
Fucking shitty apartment Internet. Clash of Heroes is still only a little downloaded after 3 hours. I can only see a sliver of the blue progress bar. Ugh.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Fucking shitty apartment Internet. Clash of Heroes is still only a little downloaded after 3 hours. I can only see a sliver of the blue progress bar. Ugh.

I started the campaign, it's actually pretty good! It's not EXACTLY like HOMM, especially the battles. The battles are a glorified PvZ-style system where you attack and defend, but the campaign itself seems pretty HOMM-ish. It's fun so far, and seems to have a lot of content.

Manax

How does Sonic Jump scoring system works? Fastest time?

That would mean that I can't ace a level because collecting the red rings deviates me.

I think you can just redo the level once you get the red rings, you can get S after that by trying again I guess?

kottila

So a quick heads up, but Cook, Serve, Delicious! got a temp. price cut to $2.99 and got a large update this morning that brings Sushi and Fried Rice to the menu!

Also hidden in this post are five iPad CSD codes, just quote to reveal. :)

edit: those codes have apparently expired, here are the new ones.

I have a new iOS game coming out tonight that I'll post more about soon, with more giveaways of course. Woo!

more food! 20 days between each new star is too much after you get the third one. getting the last stars feels like RPG grinding.

I started the campaign, it's actually pretty good! It's not EXACTLY like HOMM, especially the battles. The battles are a glorified PvZ-style system where you attack and defend, but the campaign itself seems pretty HOMM-ish. It's fun so far, and seems to have a lot of content.
Is there another PvZ besides the Popcap one? Comparing Clash of Heroes to a tower defense game seems bizarre, the two games are nothing alike.

Play fine on the iPod, it's kind of a bummer it's not portrait though, it would have been great to play one-handed. Units are tiny but didn't bother me. I'll maybe post more impressions later, so far the controls seem fine though, and it's CoH. Great game.

Lee N

Membre
Just a heads up to people who are considering buying Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. There are IAPs in the game...

I have never played any of the previous versions of the game but $4.99 seemed like an amazing value after all the praise and expressed anticipation in the thread. Just to be sure, I quickly read through the App Store description and then I scrolled to the bottom of the entry to check for IAPs but as none were mentioned I promptly purchased the game.

Then, one of the first things I'm greeted with in the game is a big “BUY” button in the top right corner of the main menu. This brings you to a separate menu with five IAPs for $0.99 to unlock each of the five factions in the game, and a package IAP “deal” for $6.99 for all five. The math doesn't even add up...

To the people of Capybara (I know you weren't directly involved in this release but I know you're about in this thread and you still put your name on it) - I just purchased the game, why do you want me to pay for it again? And why are you going out of your way you hide the fact that there are, in fact, IAPs in the game until people have already paid for and downloaded the game?

Perhaps these are things you can unlock in the game by playing it but as someone who has never played the game prior to this release it is impossible for me to discern from the item descriptions.

If you want to charge $11.99 for the game go ahead (I probably would've bought the game anyway). But what you've done here is dishonest, It leaves me with a foul taste in my mouth and it makes me think twice about purchasing something from Ubisoft, Capybara, or Tap Games in the future... :/

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just a heads up to people who are considering buying Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. There are IAPs in the game...

I have never played any of the previous versions of the game but $4.99 seemed like an amazing value after all the praise and expressed anticipation in the thread. Just to be sure, I quickly read through the App Store description and then I scrolled to the bottom of the entry to check for IAPs but as none were mentioned I promptly purchased the game.

Then, one of the first things I'm greeted with in the game is a big “BUY” button in the top right corner of the main menu. This brings you to a separate menu with five IAPs for $0.99 to unlock each of the five factions in the game, and a package IAP “deal” for $6.99 for all five. The math doesn't even add up...

To the people of Capybara (I know you weren't directly involved in this release but I know you're about in this thread and you still put your name on it) - I just purchased the game, why do you want me to pay for it again? And why are you going out of your way you hide the fact that there are, in fact, IAPs in the game until people have already paid for and downloaded the game?

Perhaps these are things you can unlock in the game by playing it but as someone who has never played the game prior to this release it is impossible for me to discern from the item descriptions.

If you want to charge $11.99 for the game go ahead (I probably would've bought the game anyway). But what you've done here is dishonest, It leaves me with a foul taste in my mouth and it makes me think twice about purchasing something from Ubisoft, Capybara, or Tap Games in the future... :/

You unlock the factions by playing through the game.

I think the IAP are so you can use the factions in multiplayer prior to unlocking them in single player. Still horrible, but not quite as bad.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

I've noticed this too. The VERY first thing you see when you start the game is... another buy button. wtf. So it seems only the first campaign is free and you have to pay more for the rest? sucks that the base game was 4.99 already then.. :/ it's fun as it is though.

EDIT: oh, so the IAP is merely for short-cutting? k, cool, I'm totally okay with that. Shitloads of content then, I love it.

PittaGAF

Just had some (VERY BRIEF) time with Clash of Heroes...I'll cut and paste what I already wrote in a hurry on TA...I'll give more impressions later.

(As for the iAPS...as far as I know (and Ubisoft posted it on the TA forums) those are only for unlocking the units in multiplayer if you do not want (for some reason) to unlock them playing the game.
If you complete the sp campaign, everything will be avaible to you without paying in mp.)

So....(SPOILER: I WAS BLOWN AWAY...had almost tears in my face after having being prepared for the worst for so long).

I just played 20 minutes before going to work on iPad (3 gen) and 20 minutes on iPhone (4s).
Maybe it's really to early to say but tbh I was blown away and I really feared the worst.
Looks and plays fantastically on iPad, just like I remember my 360 version (I'll do a direct comparison tonight).
Sprites and cutscenes are crystal clear, backgrounds are as good as I remember (maybe there is some more compression there but really...seems to play a cartoon).
As hard as I tried, I didn't had any tapping or selection problems.
On the contrary...I swipe down to 'get' a unit and just tap where I want it to be.
It's simple and fast....faster than using the XBOX360 pad.
On iPhone it's very tiny, but it plays (I hadn't any problem, played 1 encounter on each device...but...fat fingers beware).
It's maybe not as glorious as it is playing on iPad, but I'm really glad they went the Universal route...will surely come handy for my multiplayer on the go.
iCloud sync worked like a charm.
I'll report later after some solid hours of gaming but so far I dare to say I'm still incredoulus.
My most wanted game, for which I waited so long, is turning out to be ported fantastically and has many features I didn't even dare to hope for.
Seems too good to be true but I'm not complaing....I hope this first impression holds later when I'll play some more hours.

Oh...and yes!
I too was fooled by the dialogue decision...you have to tap on YOUR CHARACTER spot, not on the dialogue spot.
As soon as I realized it, I had no problems.

EDIT: It has nothing to do with the port, but I want to thank again Capybara for the outstanding game.

Koodo

Banned
Now why is Temple Run 2 an alleged 45MB download but takes up 130MB+ of space?

I'm addicted to the game though. Clocked Wario64 out of the way with a 14 mil score to claim first on the leaderboard.

iGpnHtlrDGBS.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

crying-baby.jpg

As a rule of thumb to stop you throwing toys from the pram in future, how about you just play through a game till you hit a paywall? That's what I do, and I rarely if ever come up against them. Chill.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
First Might&Magic Clash of Heroes review...seems to be in line with my first impressions.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Might+&+Magic+Clash+of+Heroes/review.asp?c=47998

They even state:
It's also the best version of the game yet - more beautiful than on DS, and with better controls and multiplayer than on XBLA.

Tears of joy :)

From that review:

IAPs explained

You can buy the five different factions in Clash of Heroes, for use in the various multiplayer modes. They cost 69p / 99c a pop, or you can get them all for £5.49 / $7.99.

But, if you just play through the truly excellent campaign you'll unlock the lot for free anyway. So we recommend you do that instead.

Also, the factions are supposed to be balanced, so you will stand a fighting chance with the default Anwen character.

Meantime

First Might&Magic Clash of Heroes review...seems to be in line with my first impressions.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Might+&+Magic+Clash+of+Heroes/review.asp?c=47998

They even state:
It's also the best version of the game yet - more beautiful than on DS, and with better controls and multiplayer than on XBLA.

Tears of joy :)

For those who care about this stuff - it mutes background audio when you launch it, even if you go into the settings and turn music off, so you can't listen to your own music/podcasts. Hate that developers keep doing this.

TrutaS

What if I unlock the content on my ipad but still want to play with all factions multiplayer on my Iphone? The game doesn't have cross-saves yet, please that is just essential!

Other than that, the games is quite good and packs a lot of content. I said wow at the face-to-face mode, I will surely play that with friends.

PittaGAF

For those who care about this stuff - it mutes background audio when you launch it, even if you go into the settings and turn music off, so you can't listen to your own music/podcasts. Hate that developers keep doing this.

But but....the music is fantastic!!!!
Why would you hear something different? :p

I'm joking, thanks for pointing it out.

PittaGAF

What if I unlock the content on my ipad but still want to play with all factions multiplayer on my Iphone? The game doesn't have cross-saves yet, please that is just essential!

Other than that, the games is quite good and packs a lot of content. I said wow at the face-to-face mode, I will surely play that with friends.

What are you talking about?
The game HAS corss-saves between devices (multiple too).
I started playing on iPad this morning and continued on iPhone some minutes ago.
Worked like a charm...it supports iCloud sync.
So I bet that what you unlock in one device is unlocked in the others too (every other game that had this feature worked so at least).

TrutaS

What are you talking about?
The game HAS corss-saves between devices (multiple too).
I started playing on iPad this morning and continued on iPhone some minutes ago.
Worked like a charm...it supports iCloud sync.
So I bet that what you unlock in one device is unlocked in the others too (every other game that had this feature worked so at least).

Well great to hear then, it didn't work for me yet, it is probably due to some other issue, now that I know it works for others I'll invest more time trying to solve it.

PittaGAF

Well great to hear then, it didn't work for me yet, it is probably due to some other issue, now that I know it works for others I'll invest more time trying to solve it.

It sync with iCloud when you open the game...network problems or really slow internet can delay it a bit (when you see the GC banner you should be good to go)...maybe that's the problem?

raiot

Hm, it has cross saves? I played it for a while on my ipad and when I started it on my Iphone my last savegame from the ipad was available...

Marv_79

Neo Member
Just had some (VERY BRIEF) time with Clash of Heroes...I'll cut and paste what I already wrote in a hurry on TA...I'll give more impressions later.

(As for the iAPS...as far as I know (and Ubisoft posted it on the TA forums) those are only for unlocking the units in multiplayer if you do not want (for some reason) to unlock them playing the game.
If you complete the sp campaign, everything will be avaible to you without paying in mp.)

So....(SPOILER: I WAS BLOWN AWAY...had almost tears in my face after having being prepared for the worst for so long).

I just played 20 minutes before going to work on iPad (3 gen) and 20 minutes on iPhone (4s).
Maybe it's really to early to say but tbh I was blown away and I really feared the worst.
Looks and plays fantastically on iPad, just like I remember my 360 version (I'll do a direct comparison tonight).
Sprites and cutscenes are crystal clear, backgrounds are as good as I remember (maybe there is some more compression there but really...seems to play a cartoon).
As hard as I tried, I didn't had any tapping or selection problems.
On the contrary...I swipe down to 'get' a unit and just tap where I want it to be.
It's simple and fast....faster than using the XBOX360 pad.
On iPhone it's very tiny, but it plays (I hadn't any problem, played 1 encounter on each device...but...fat fingers beware).
It's maybe not as glorious as it is playing on iPad, but I'm really glad they went the Universal route...will surely come handy for my multiplayer on the go.
iCloud sync worked like a charm.
I'll report later after some solid hours of gaming but so far I dare to say I'm still incredoulus.
My most wanted game, for which I waited so long, is turning out to be ported fantastically and has many features I didn't even dare to hope for.
Seems too good to be true but I'm not complaing....I hope this first impression holds later when I'll play some more hours.

Oh...and yes!
I too was fooled by the dialogue decision...you have to tap on YOUR CHARACTER spot, not on the dialogue spot.
As soon as I realized it, I had no problems.

EDIT: It has nothing to do with the port, but I want to thank again Capybara for the outstanding game.

I too have been waiting for so long for this game to come to ios (check my previous posts) and I concur with your all your above comments. I honestly thought this day would never come (now I sound sad lol )

And thanks for the pro tip there I was having problems with that ;-)

Lee N

Membre

I think the IAP are so you can use the factions in multiplayer prior to unlocking them in single player. Still horrible, but not quite as bad.
They really ought to clarify this in the game. IAP is a touchy subject due to companies like Scrooge-Enix being total squares with their business models...

Mairu

Played Clash of Heroes briefly. Liking the iOS version so far outside of some tapping issues when it comes to deleting units on the field.

chicobalay

Neo Member
The amazing thing about Clash of Heroes is that each of the five factions cost $.99 but if you buy all of them together they cost $7.99

Please explain.

ParityBit

The amazing thing about Clash of Heroes is that each of the five factions cost $.99 but if you buy all of them together they cost $7.99

Please explain.

If your dumb enough to buy something IAP that you can earn in the game .... from playing it, then you deserve to be ripped off.

colinp

Banned
Played Clash of Heroes briefly. Liking the iOS version so far outside of some tapping issues when it comes to deleting units on the field.

It's actually really easy! You have to tap to select the unit first, and then tap and hold until the white circle connects all the way around to the X and then you can let go and tap the X.

Strange, but second nature once you learn how it works.

Gaaraz

Good to see some VERY positive Clash of Heroes feedback! I've already got it on DS (though haven't played it yet) but am tempted to get it on the iPad if it is indeed the better version.

Regarding Cook, Serve, Delicious! - what exactly is it like? To me, it's massively unappealing and basically looks like a slightly more in-depth version of Cooking Mama? Is that right? It's one of the only games I can think of where I want to try it purely based on hype alone - you all seem to love it!

Thanks - you've always been a very outspoken proponent of our baby, and we really appreciate it!

Ok wait a second. Everyone who has been around GAF for a while will know that A) I answer criticism as best I can and B) Capy has always tried to do whats best for fans first and foremost. Keeping that, plus the fact that Capy was not involved in the port (which you clearly state) in mind, please take a step down. It is frustrating, as a developer, that educated gamers like those on GAF immediately blame devs for business decisions which, 99.9% of the time, are out of their control. You guys are smarter than this. But that's beyond the point.

Capy's name is on this game because we created it. The gameplay, the art, the sound. Our name is not on the game because we had any say in its iOS development. I have no idea where IAP screens pop up, nor why. We bought the game last night like everyone else. All I care about is that our game is given good treatment on new devices, and I hear Tag Games did a great job there.

So, in closing, before you go on a rant trying to belittle my company (who busts ass trying to do gamers, and GAF'ers, right) for something we weren't even a part of, please think about it a bit more.

Sorry for being harsh, but this really rubbed me the wrong way at 8:30am when it's -20 degrees celsius.

Keasar

It's actually really easy! You have to tap to select the unit first, and then tap and hold until the white circle connects all the way around to the X and then you can let go and tap the X.

Strange, but second nature once you learn how it works.

I had some issues with deleting the unit as I kept picking up a unit on the row instead of tapping the X to delete the unit, so in my mind it isnt perfect yet. I think the controls were much easier and smoother on a XBOX controller. Still, love having a portable HD version of this game with me that remains one of my favorite puzzle games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom