• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris121580

I'd like to send out a special thank you and also screw you to whoever said 14px is free. That game is incredible but man is it tough as nail. As close as you can get to Super Meatboy on the iOS

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Man, I can't believe I bought Final Fantasy: All the Bravest blindly. WORST. "GAME". EVAR.

GeekyDad

Man, I can't believe I bought Final Fantasy: All the Bravest blindly. WORST. "GAME". EVAR.

I'm guessing SE was counting on the fact that most of their audience would.

On an entirely different note, Incoboto is so completely lovely. It's such a gem. Anyone who enjoyed either Waking Mars or Sword & Sworcery really needs to nab the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I had a "that's it?" moment after my first session of Dungelot but now I'm so hooked. I've wanted a good rougelike on my phone and it definitely scratches that itch. It's a bit simple compared to something like Dungeons of Dredmor and a lot can hinge on simple luck, but you do need to constantly weigh risk vs. reward to play effectively.

It's hard to put down. I'm a sucker for randomly generated content and permadeth, and with gold carrying over between playthroughs and class leveling, it has an addictive persistent element to it as well. Plus the character art is great, the little vampire guy is awesome.

Recommended, can't wait for some content updates.

PittaGAF

I had a "that's it?" moment after my first session of Dungelot but now I'm so hooked. I've wanted a good rougelike on my phone and it definitely scratches that itch. It's a bit simple compared to something like Dungeons of Dredmor and a lot can hinge on simple luck, but you do need to constantly weigh risk vs. reward to play effectively.

It's hard to put down. I'm a sucker for randomly generated content and permadeth, and with gold carrying over between playthroughs and class leveling, it has an addictive persistent element to it as well. Plus the character art is great, the little vampire guy is awesome.

Recommended, can't wait for some content updates.

Yeah it is really addicting.
Currently on floor 129 with a maxed out Assasin.
New update seems MASSIVE too...so many changes and added content!

Does Dungelot support icloud saves?

Unfortuately no (when I maxed out everything I transferred the save with iFunBox).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm guessing SE was counting on the fact that most of their audience would.

On an entirely different note, Incoboto is so completely lovely. It's such a gem. Anyone who enjoyed either Waking Mars or Sword & Sworcery really needs to nab the game.

Agreed, it's great. It also has one of the most satisfying endgames of any of these metroidvania-ish games I've played in iOS. The power!!

TheContact

I hope Chrono Trigger gets an update. I updated because it said bug fixes and now it won't show the screen correctly and is virtually unplayable. So mad, have not heard they are even trying to update it either.

Edit: they replied to my email:

Thank you for contacting SQUARE ENIX support,

We do apologize for the trouble you have been having with this title. At this time our suggestion for this issue is to make sure your iOS has been updated to at least 6.0.1 as this seems to fix this error. Our development team is working on a patch to allow lower versions of iOS to operate the game without these errors and will be pushed to your device as soon as it is available. We appreciate your patience in this matter.

I don't want to update bc I use too many jailbreak features =

PittaGAF

First 20 minutes of M&M Clash of Heroes on iPad.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C-JWBMifhXk

TBH I feared the worst but seems frigging awesome, I'm hyped to the max...it is EXACTELY as I remember the 360 version....can't see any obvious glitch or interface problem there (and the maker of the video is know to be really slow in pressing things).
Can't wait for the game to hit the European AppStore (I HATE this timeline thing in the digital era).

I'm having trouble with GTA: Vice City synching between my iPhone and ipad. I saw that the sizes of the game save files don't match. Is this the problem?

GeekyDad

TBH I feared the worst but seems frigging awesome, I'm hyped to the max...it is EXACTELY as I remember the 360 version....can't see any obvious glitch or interface problem there (and the maker of the video is know to be really slow in pressing things).
Can't wait for the game to hit the European AppStore (I HATE this timeline thing in the digital era).

1.87 GB installed.

/complete and utter loss of interest

PittaGAF

1.87 GB installed.

Well...this has been known since long ago (their first exact words were 'a hair less than 2 Gb').

It's a (hopefully good) no compromises port of the HD version and personally I'm damn glad they took this route.
Can't wait.

raiot

1.87 GB installed.

Oh, so I have to spend some time thinking about what to delete... :/
Does anyone know a way to play Baldurs Gate on iOS 5? I really want to buy it, but dont want to lose my ipad 2 jailbreak :(

PFD

It is worth noting that this was made by the Sword & Sworcery devs (the original 360 version, not the port.)

Does anyone know a way to play Baldurs Gate on iOS 5? I really want to buy it, but dont want to lose my ipad 2 jailbreak :(

There's a new update in review that will add iOS 5.1.1 and ipad 1 compatibility. Should come out soon.

PittaGAF

A (MASSIVE) update is in review since yesterday afternoon.
One of the thing it does is lowering the iOS6 contraint.
IF (a big IF here, considering the history of the title) gets approved, you will be playing it soon.

Minsc

Gold Member
1.87 GB installed.

This is about the same size as the PC version (that was around 1700MB) so I'm not too surprised. Since it's mostly high-res 2D artwork, there's not going to be too much you can do to save space, though if the .ipa file is only around 500MBs, I guess they make some compression sacrifices on iOS. A quick glance at the 20 minute gameplay video and it looks pretty good to me, will probably get it even though I already finished it on PC.

GeekyDad

This is about the same size as the PC version (that was around 1700MB) so I'm not too surprised. Since it's mostly high-res 2D artwork, there's not going to be too much you can do to save space, though if the .ipa file is only around 500MBs, I guess they make some compression sacrifices on iOS. A quick glance at the 20 minute gameplay video and it looks pretty good to me, will probably get it even though I already finished it on PC.

I would have been more than satisfied with a port of the DS version, and I'm guessing it would have been a mere fraction of the size. Honestly, I thought the DS version looked more charming anyway.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
A (MASSIVE) update is in review since yesterday afternoon.
One of the thing it does is lowering the iOS6 contraint.
IF (a big IF here, considering the history of the title) gets approved, you will be playing it soon.

I can't wait for this update. I have the game mostly completed, just need it to be updated so I can go kill the baddie and get the end video properly. I watched it on yt but it's anticlimatic without playing and winning first.

Anilones

Yes, but iTunes should be doing an iCloud backup every day(night).

PittaGAF is talking about iCloud game syncing between devices such that after playing on your iPhone the game will automatically sync up to that point on an iPad. It is a different iCloud function than iPhone backup.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll definitely nab Clash of Heroes. I have it on PC, but no doubt I'll give it a lot more attention if it's always with me on my phone. I'm still bummed out about Critter Crunch, though. I would love to own it on iOS but it seems it's gone forever since it's publisher went under.

PittaGAF

Looks pretty good to me too.
It came to my attention (via pocket tactict) that in the last weeks several updates where made to the game pre release...so maybe the various quirks many talked about are really gone (as it seems by that video).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Looks like it's time to start deleting music from my phone to make space for games.

This is one of the reasons I use iTunes Match personally, have access to my entire 15,000 song music library while taking up almost no space at all on my phone.

Rekwest

Looks like it's time to start deleting music from my phone to make space for games.

This is one of the reasons I use Google Music personally, have access to my entire 20,000 song music library while taking up almost no space at all on my phone.

GeekyDad

This is why I went with 64GB storage. I have plenty of room in the fridge.

Ha, ha. Yeah, I hear ya'. My next upgrade is in June. I will be sure to get something a bit bigger next time. The phone I have now was my first foray into iOS, and it was free. But yeah, these days I do most of my gaming on my phone, so it will pay to invest in it.

This is one of the reasons I use Google Music personally, have access to my entire 20,000 song music library while taking up almost no space at all on my phone.

carygrant.gif

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Wrong thread, also I have all my music available on all my devices via iTunes match with no space taken up. So, um, yeah.

On topic, where is the Pocket Planes guys next game?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
"So fucking close" according to their blog post that included those shots. It's looking so good. Hurry up, jerks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom