• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Fersis said:
I enjoy KOF (Orochi Saga) story, i consider KOF one of the most 'story heavy' fighters out there and usually the new characters are part of the script.
The story is just like a neat bonus.

That said killing off Yashiro,Chris and Shermie was a really dumb move.

Yeah, sorry man.

Unfortunately I know too much about the stupid fighting game stories already and I wish I could somehow cut that garbage out of my brain. Just completely eradicate the relationships from fighting game characters from my brain. Don't get me wrong. I don't lose sleep over it. I just wish I didn't know about it. :D

I play fighting games to play against other people and have fun.

If anything, stories in fighting games and expansive single player campaigns mollycoddle non-fighting game fans and lead them down a false road of "this is what this game is about", when in reality it's about winners and losers. And the moment they step out of the ridiculous story mode and get their teeth knocked out, they go BAAAAW and run back to Final Fantasy.

I have a friend like this. He's very much into Theory Fighter and "fairness" and "balance" and if you beat him in a fighter he goes all fetal position and stops playing.

If your fragile ego can't take the licks, or you don't have the fire in your belly to improve your game - then there's always work at the Post Office.

I truly believe if this game had ggpo on console release it would revive this series in the US, but at the same time that might be asking to much from them.

Anyone wanna bet this will be pushed back some? I'm guessing December at earliest lol.

Hunter-Zero said:
Tekken an inferior fighting game series? yeah, sure.

I love VF, but man...that damned "purist" attitude sucks.
VF > Tekken in gameplay, everything else Tekken > VF

GhostRidah said:
I truly believe if this game had ggpo on console release it would revive this series in the US, but at the same time that might be asking to much from them.

Well to be honest, I think for the most part KoF was never really alive in the US. There was never a thriving and active community for it outside of pockets of gamers in various areas; but online play would at least allow these pockets of players to play together and hopefully generate some excitement for the game.

Look at how well, relatively speaking, Arcana Heart 3 seems to be doing thanks in large part to exceptional online play.

And that's just another reason IMO developers need to prioritize - stable, awesome online play FIRST. Then training, single player modes after.

It would be nice to have the full package, but I just wanna fight smooth.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
In addition to good netcode, which I think everyone can agree is an absolute must, I'd like to see a fleshed out online system. Replays, spectator mode, lobbies, data/player/character records.

TreIII

The Take Out Bandit said:
Unfortunately I know too much about the stupid fighting game stories already and I wish I could somehow cut that garbage out of my brain. Just completely eradicate the relationships from fighting game characters from my brain. Don't get me wrong. I don't lose sleep over it. I just wish I didn't know about it. :D

If anything, stories in fighting games and expansive single player campaigns mollycoddle non-fighting game fans and lead them down a false road of "this is what this game is about", when in reality it's about winners and losers. And the moment they step out of the ridiculous story mode and get their teeth knocked out, they go BAAAAW and run back to Final Fantasy.

See, I see it differently. I believe there's room to have something for everyone (and they need too, as, realistically, that's how stuff SELLS now-a-days). And thankfully, it's not like it would be something "new" for KOF; it's been a part of the series since it stopped being so much of a "Crossover" and became its own anthology.

If anything, the casual/fanservice quotient is what has done the most good for a series like KOF. Where would it be without the people, who probably will never play in a tournament setting, but love and will buy/play just to see what new antics Kyo, Iori, Terry, Ryo and all of their little friends will get into "next time"? In that light, KOF has the kind of casual backing that a modern-day series like BlazBlue had to "earn" through having an extensive story mode.

Hell, KOFXII was probably a prime example of what happens when this part of the quotient is taken away. No story. No over-powered Final Boss fight. Barely any character interaction. Is there any wonder why XII was a disappointment to many beyond just the competitive sect?

So, I say, SNK could certainly do worse than throwing casual fans a bone and playing up the story aspects. It's already there, they've already got a loyal legion just waiting to snap up more like it, so why not capitalize on it?

TreIII said:
Hell, KOFXII was probably a prime example of what happens when this part of the quotient is taken away. No story. No over-powered Final Boss fight. Barely any character interaction. Is there any wonder why XII was a disappointment to many beyond just the competitive sect?

So, I say, SNK could certainly do worse than throwing casual fans a bone and playing up the story aspects. It's already there, they've already got a loyal legion just waiting to snap up more like it, so why not capitalize on it?

I don't see a connection between lack of story and SNK being too lazy to create an original boss character for the game. That's being harsh to SNK given the horror stories of the KoF development cycle and all the hard work and man hours put into revising the game visuals from the ground up.

You can make an awesome boss character without needing a story.

Hell, look at the cop out boss Capcom stuck in SF4. All that time wasted on story and lame barely animated cut scenes (why not just do it in game engine), and what you get is a horribly generic Namco style Swiss Army Boss who recycles moves sets.

Swiss Army Bosses piss me off too. Laziest excuse for a boss ever. MAKE A NEW CHARACTER WITH A UNIQUE MOVE SET! >:|

LowParry

kokujin said:
Name a 3D fighting game deeper than VF.

You're asking for a level of depth that warrants the game being 3D. Tekken and VF aren't really there in terms of that concept. I'd say Soul Calibur was more 3D. But if we're talking about the game mechanics, VF all the way. Too bad it's dead no thanks to Sega.

Well, since we're doing wishlists, how about what 10 characters you would like to see added to the game?

My Character Wishlist:

-Smart Chang
-Max Eagle
-Brian Battler
-Karman Cole
-Yashiro
-Reiji Oogami
-Laurence Blood
-Foxy
-King Lion
-Heidern

CcrooK said:
You're asking for a level of depth that warrants the game being 3D. Tekken and VF aren't really there in terms of that concept. I'd say Soul Calibur was more 3D. But if we're talking about the game mechanics, VF all the way. Too bad it's dead no thanks to Sega.

Tobal 2 would be a suitable response.

In fact Tobal 2 in retrospect is still one of the best made 3D fighters ever.

I'd love to see an HD / Remix port for modern consoles. Soooo good.

LowParry

Tobal 2 would be a suitable response.

In fact Tobal 2 in retrospect is still one of the best made 3D fighters ever.

I'd love to see an HD / Remix port for modern consoles. Soooo good.

This is true. A shame SE would never even consider the idea of a Tobal revival. In fact they shouldn't. They'd fuck it up in some way or another.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yeah, sorry man.

I have a friend like this. He's very much into Theory Fighter and "fairness" and "balance" and if you beat him in a fighter he goes all fetal position and stops playing.

If your fragile ego can't take the licks, or you don't have the fire in your belly to improve your game - then there's always work at the Post Office.
Ive read that MK has a very long and complete Story mode, probably aimed to casuals.
I doubt that competitive players will play it more than once.

KOFXIII story could be: "Ash is an alien lets fight in this space tournament" and i would be hype. KOF story is a little bonus that i quite enjoy.
Same with the character relationships and all that, is not a key "must-have" component but is a little extra.

Oh and im not touching the VF >>> Tekken argument ! ;P

Gunloc said:
Well, since we're doing wishlists, how about what 10 characters you would like to see added to the game?

B.Jenet
Rock Howard
Tizoc
Yamazaki
Billy Kane
Hokutomaru
Chang
Choi

CcrooK said:
This is true. A shame SE would never even consider the idea of a Tobal revival. In fact they shouldn't. They'd fuck it up in some way or another.

It doesn't help that Dream Factory stopped being good / relevant years ago, and if I'm not mistaken has more or less disbanded since.

Fersis said:
Ive read that MK has a very long and complete Story mode, probably aimed to casuals.

KOFXIII story could be: "Ash is an alien lets fight in this space tournament" and i would be hype. KOF story is a little bonus that i quite enjoy.
Same with the character relationships and all that, is not a key "must-have" component but is a little extra.

Again, I have a friend who talks the hell out of the new MK. Just blowing so much hot air and hyping it up. I just say - get back to me in a year if people are still playing it.

Meanwhile we played BlazBlue once. I beat him, he QQ'd about it and he has never played since. I'm not saying I'm that good. I'm just saying I'm that stupid. I'm too stupid to realize the odds aren't in my favor when I use Tager. I'm like OT GAF - hardcore about Science H. Logic.

Then he's always talking some game about how we never played SSF4 or SF2HDR, regardless of the fact I played these games regularly and he could have shot me an invite at ANY TIME! ANY TIME!

And that's why I can't abide theory fighters. Talkin' all that game about balance and what's fair, but where's your money? Put your money on the table or GTFO! That's a bad metaphor, I don't play for money. More of a sh*t or get off the pot thing. I don't want to hear about how comfortable that seat it, I need to take a crap. :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Fersis said:

No offense, but SNK and Atlus don't really need to market towards you. You would've bought the game regardless. :p And hardcore fighting game KOF players would pick up the game regardless as well.

Bosses and story modes are more superficial parts of a fighting game. I don't think that's really up for debate. But it's adds a richness to the lore and the characters, and appeals to more casual consumers with money. Money that SNK could use right about now.

TreIII

GuardianE said:
No offense, but SNK and Atlus don't really need to market towards you. You would've bought the game regardless. :p And hardcore fighting game KOF players would pick up the game regardless as well.

Bosses and story modes are more superficial parts of a fighting game. I don't think that's really up for debate. But it's adds a richness to the lore and the characters, and appeals to more casual consumers with money. Money that SNK could use right about now.

Bingo.

Again, I say, why not? You've got a dedicated segment of people who will buy BB just to play through its cockamamie story mode that barely makes sense. Such a thing for KOF would likely work out well.

Shoot, if it wasn't a thing that it would probably be too much work, I'd say throw in a Persona 3/4 character (or two) to help possibly boost sales via bringing Atlus' Megaten entourage to the table. It's possibly the one thing I could see happening that wouldn't threaten SNKP's ties to arcade operators.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GuardianE said:

Agreed. I friggin' love KOF lore (Surprise!!!).

luka

Loves Robotech S1
lolz @ TTOB rage. I sort of agree with him though. People who are more interested in lore and theory are playing for the wrong reasons, but I still think the story is a pretty important part of a fighter for one reason: the characters. Mechanics aside, the roster is the heart and soul of a fighter and if there are no characters that appeal to you (aesthetically or mechanically) you're probably not going to have a particularly good time with it. A fighting game's plot expands on your favorite character's personality and makes you more attached to them and eager to improve. Having a personality and story that appeals to someone is important in making them want to learn that character, at least that's how it is for me.

I never, ever look at tier lists or fret over balance until I've spent a good chunk of time with a game and with characters that stand out to me as particularly awesome and fun. If it gets to the point that there are only 6 characters in the entire roster that won't be decimated and it becomes a game of counterpicking then it's no longer worth playing.

also stfu 'bout Tekken, kokujin. :mad:

kokujin

Banned
CadetMahoney said:
Anyone wanna bet this will be pushed back some? I'm guessing December at earliest lol.

VF > Tekken in gameplay, everything else Tekken > VF

Pretty much and gameplay is what matters, nothing else.

CcrooK said:

I'll be looking into Tobal then.

luka said:
also stfu 'bout Tekken, kokujin. :mad:

The truth hurts.

Tizoc

kokujin said:
The truth hurts.
http://i.imgur.com/UsFh1.jpg

Damn I can't believe I just remember this-
A tutorial mode similar to MK's where you start by learning the basics (movement, blocking etc.), then go on to the easy combos and so on.
Basically look at the tutorial modes in MK 2011, BB: CS and (S)SF4 and mix them together to help newcomers familiarize themselves with the game's system.

Fersis

I think ReveLAtions KOFXIII Top 4 were all latinos.
VIVA LA RAZA!!!

RSLYG

Tizoc said:

A tutorial mode similar to MK's where you start by learning the basics (movement, blocking etc.), then go on to the easy combos and so on.
Basically look at the tutorial modes in MK 2011, BB: CS and (S)SF4 and mix them together to help newcomers familiarize themselves with the game's system.

Perfect reply, now stfugtfo, this is KOF thread

Tizoc, you win GAF. You just win it. That post is great!

luka said:
lolz @ TTOB rage. I sort of agree with him though. People who are more interested in lore and theory are playing for the wrong reasons, but I still think the story is a pretty important part of a fighter for one reason: the characters. Mechanics aside, the roster is the heart and soul of a fighter and if there are no characters that appeal to you (aesthetically or mechanically) you're probably not going to have a particularly good time with it. A fighting game's plot expands on your favorite character's personality and makes you more attached to them and eager to improve. Having a personality and story that appeals to someone is important in making them want to learn that character, at least that's how it is for me.

I never, ever look at tier lists or fret over balance until I've spent a good chunk of time with a game and with characters that stand out to me as particularly awesome and fun. If it gets to the point that there are only 6 characters in the entire roster that won't be decimated and it becomes a game of counterpicking then it's no longer worth playing.

I don't look at tier lists either.

In fact the main reason I played Hokan and what informed my opinion was fanboy QQ'ing over him NOT BEING SRSLY4REAL! Really? The hilarious racist stereotypes of the other characters are hilarious and fine, but dat oil baron is not? GTFOCH! :D

So I would play troll characters just to play. Like playing Dan in SFA before he got all popular and folks started getting the joke.

Tiers are useless for me. Especially in BlazBlue where all the characters are so awash in god awful animu design and screwy game mechanics that Tager is the only character I can stomach visually and handle in terms of game play.

I showed a buddy some ReveLAtions KoF13 footage and he started right in with the Raiden whining. Yeah dude, two very skilled players in a fighting game tournament are indicative of the casual players skill level. STFU with your whining bro!

Damn theory fighters.

Tizoc said:
Hmm a Sambrero Hwa Jai av sounds pimp...so long as his wine bottle reads tequila in Spanish.

GNoI2.png

I just wrote down Tequila, yeah.

kokujin

Banned
Tizoc said:

It is a little lonelier at the top.They should also add something along the lines of challenge tower from MK9.They managed to hide some mechanic training in their as well, that way people could learn some mechanics and still feel rewarded.

_dementia said:
I feel you TTOB. Tager is like A-tier in scrub play.

Haha - it's not just me being a scrub. Well it sort of is, but in ANY fighting game when the level of execution gets too high I tune out. Tager for me is a good low execution character. I tried Valkenhayn - too much work. I tried Makoto - WAY too much work. Tried Arakune, maybe I could swing it; but why bother when Tager works so well for me? :p

I think that's the next frontier in fighting game design. Instead of skewing back toward only the high level players exclusively, fighting games should be designed with enough depth to satisfy the hardcore; but still have characters that low level to intermediate players can be competitive enough with.

Again, when execution in a fighter becomes too high level I tune out. Combination of preference coming from the old school fighters, and lack of skill / time / patience.

I still love fighting games more than a casual player, who tunes out after losing a match; but I'm not so in love with them that I want to see the genre do to itself what shmups did when they skewed to the bullet hell end of the spectrum and instead of being a game about cool space ships blowing up aliens it becomes a magic eye picture trying to find your space ship in the six pixels that are safe to be in on the screen. :|

Tizoc

General Shank-a-snatch said:
GNoI2.png

I just wrote down Tequila, yeah.
lol, I didn't exactly want one now, but thanks =)

When I get this game I'll spend hours in training mode doing random combos just to get the true feel of the system X3

<--- Would be funny if this caught on. I could help making the sombrero avatars, I'm decent with Photoshop.

I'd say sombrero me, but I don't know if it'd work.

I don't expect more than 2 characters added (if that) but:
Blue Mary
Yamazaki
Vanessa
Ramon
Ralf EX (plays like 2002UM)
Shermie
Oswald
forgot her name, mid-boss with the staff from KOF11
Angel
*ANY MOTW character

MrMephistoX

Gunloc said:

Not a huge KOF fan but have been getting into it thanks to the releases on XBLA. I can't come up with ten characters so...Whip?

Dandy J

kokujin said:
the other games are more or less doujin games, so I don't expect much out of them.People still shouldn't be playing them instead of real fighting games.
KOF is a doujin game, it's the og poverty game. You're right about VF though. It's impossible to take Tekken seriously if you played VF at even an intermediate level with good players and have a technical understanding of the system.

LowParry

Dandy J said:
KOF is a doujin game, it's the og poverty game. You're right about VF though. It's impossible to take Tekken seriously if you played VF at even an intermediate level with good players and have a technical understanding of the system.

Tekken and VF do things right for me that I enjoy both the hell out of. Jacky with the yeeeeeaaaaaah! And Kazuya with the doooou-ya! If only the games would come together in a VS world. But instead we got SF x Tekken. Which is alright. Capcom just better get in characters that are not from SF4.

alstein

Dandy J said:

KOF at its roots sure as hell isn't poverty. Post-2k KOF did go down the road of poverty though.

KOFXI was for all intents a poverty game with its pacing and style.

I'll go so far as to say this, KOFMI2 (and Reg.A) are like MK9 somewhat in how it plays, but so much better. Really underrated fighter (not great, but decent to good)

As for VF- I was a decent VF player, and I respect Tekken, though you're right about it being inferior- it's still a good game though, at least until high level.

Dandy J

The definition of poverty is the ghetto shit you play because you don't have access to or can't afford the premium stuff. That's KOF in some countries, and from that they made it their Street Fighter.

RSLYG

^ I'll see what I can do.

qfomr.png
*I like this one a lot better.

If we're going to spread hype and awareness, it better be early.

????? So random, well I play along with you guys

f2556d.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Tizoc said:
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/547/lolprx.jpg

I love this image, but it's missing:

Guilty Gear (unless we're all gay anime fans that troll parks to have anal sex in the bathrooms with Blazblue fans)
Mortal Kombat (Car accident people looking at it)

And thousands of obscure/not-majorly played fighters (Jojo [in before defense force, but you get my point], Fist of the North Star, etc.).

Oh, and it should put a frame around the VF image and have one person looking at it just to troll some more.

Dandy J said:
The definition of poverty is the ghetto shit you play because you don't have access to or can't afford the premium stuff. That's KOF in some countries, and from that they made it their Street Fighter.

So, Pump It Up is Mexico's Dance Dance Revolution?

I miss arcades. ;___;

TTOB said:
>>Character picks<<

I pick characters by looks (^-13-, Cody), or if they're kinda fun to play (Cody). It's probably why I lose 9/10 of time as I generally pick the lowest of tiers.

Tizoc

CcrooK said:
Tekken and VF do things right for me that I enjoy both the hell out of. Jacky with the yeeeeeaaaaaah! And Kazuya with the doooou-ya! If only the games would come together in a VS world. But instead we got SF x Tekken. Which is alright. Capcom just better get in characters that are not from SF4.
They've already confirmed that the game will feature characters that were not in SF4 =)

Top Bottom