• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Plus having him on point is a great way to build meter. Also I've seen King(probably my favorite female character) is regarded as being low tier but reveLAtions showed otherwise. That was more of a case of a great player making a character work for him. I thought it was great.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Aye, agreed! I can't wait to see someone do that with, say, Kensou, or Mai. Doesn't happen enough with Athena, either!

I love the meter systems in this game. They really give you the room to make your favorite character of choice into an absolute killing machine, and it doesn't even seem too hard to do, in comparision to many other fighters. It really rest more on the side of well-timed creativity, than needlessly complex execution.

Added: EmperorPaine has now increased the number of videos from ReveLAtions KoFXIII tounement from 14 yesterday to 39, now. And most of them are multiple-match vids, so that's A LOT of fights!

EmperorPaine's Youtube Channel

Quite Welcome! (^_^)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dear Atlus:
Please publish Garou,KOF98UM,02UM and XI on PSN.
With love Fersis.

TreIII

Fersis said:
Dear Atlus:
Please publish Garou,KOF98UM,02UM and XI on PSN.
With love Fersis.

So much this.

Hell, why stop there, Atlus? Gimme some of dat Sengoku 3 (easily one of the best belt-scroll/beat em ups ever made), Rage of the Dragons, Matrimelee and Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer (if Million, aka Technos Japan) was willing to share.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If it were possible, I wish they'd include some kinda Wrapper/Emulator with KoF XIII, that could take any other SNKP games you have on your hard drive, and make them work with this hopefully much improved netcode.

Or just include 98UM Final Edition and/or 2K2 UM WhateverIt'sCalled / Garou along with this purchase (on both consoles), as a way to boost sales! Same way the recent Alice game includeds the original PC game with it, as a bonus.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
That's... intersting, to say the least.

So, to anyone who paid attention, where there ever any positive side effects from BlazBlue CS being dumped before it's release? I know it forced them to add the 3 new characters that became CS2's main content, but did anything else happen? Like the game showing up at tourneys more often, or getting into seedy arcades easier, or something?

Every time I think of SNKP and roms, I think about NeoGeo Battle Col's story, with the fight aganist WAREZ, and their hacked copies of Orochi and such. Maybe they'll tap into that kinda attitude with this, and give us "sprite rip" characters from other NeoGeo series for XIII. :lol:

Oh well, didn't seem to affect Blazblue too bad, hope it's the same for them!

alstein

SAB CA said:
That's... intersting, to say the least.

So, to anyone who paid attention, where there ever any positive side effects from BlazBlue CS being dumped before it's release? I know it forced them to add the 3 new characters that became CS2's main content, but did anything else happen? Like the game showing up at tourneys more often, or getting into seedy arcades easier, or something?

Every time I think of SNKP and roms, I think about NeoGeo Battle Col's story, with the fight aganist WAREZ, and their hacked copies of Orochi and such. Maybe they'll tap into that kinda attitude with this, and give us "sprite rip" characters from other NeoGeo series for XIII. :lol:

I think the emulation didn't run well enough on some folks computers, or was too difficult, and it had no netcode- so it had little effect.

If someone GGPOed KOFXIII though, Atlus wouldn't have a chance of selling except to folks who would do it to support the game- and then they'd happily play the GGPO version.

alstein said:
I think the emulation didn't run well enough on some folks computers, or was too difficult, and it had no netcode- so it had little effect.
Any updates on system requirements? laggy dropped frames? PixelShader 3.0

alstein said:
If someone GGPOed KOFXIII though, Atlus wouldn't have a chance of selling except to folks who would do it to support the game- and then they'd happily play the GGPO version.
If it was true ggpo netcode hacked into it then that would surely beat out whatever they have in store for Live/PSN. So they better include extra characters for anyone serious about competition otherwise ther'd be no incentive.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well, hopefully this rom dump stays just as inconvenient and awkward as BBCS2's did; people deserve to get money for the games they make!

Maxima with an "over 9000" line... perfect, haha. I'd imagine Benimaru should have some fun with a large amount of the cast as well. We might still be missing more win poses and special in-game animated intros, but I'm glad for every little way they snuck personality into the game (like the various character-select quotes, or these pieces of dialog here.)

SAB CA said:

While that is true BB had a huge amount of extra content that people buy the game for .
I don't know if KOFXIII going to be the same .

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
gundamkyoukai said:
While that is true BB had a huge amount of extra content that people buy the game for .
I don't know if KOFXIII going to be the same .

I'd hope they'd just buy it for the fighting! :lol:

Not like story modes, "Teach Me Boobie Lady!", Rachel's insulting training course, and ending cinematics don't get uploaded insantly to Youtube...

But yeah. It's a good point.

Sectus

I am furiously confused. If the arcade version is literally running on a PC with Windows, directx and all that PC stuff, then I think it's kinda safe to assume they've got a fully functioning PC verson of the game. So why not officially release the game to PC too?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
DDTC Presents: Joe Higashi Combo Tutorial: The Muay Thai Champion!

Sectus said:
I am furiously confused. If the arcade version is literally running on a PC with Windows, directx and all that PC stuff, then I think it's kinda safe to assume they've got a fully functioning PC verson of the game. So why not officially release the game to PC too?

May post that in an "Ask Atlus" on one of the threads taking questions. But just because something runs on PC, doesn't means the companies have any interest of releasing on PC... How many Tatito X2 games have we ever seen get a PC release? And we all know the inherit possible issues with PC (rampant pirating, game hacking, etc), so maybe they just don't wanna deal with those potential issues.

zlatko

Banned
SAB CA said:
DDTC Presents: Joe Higashi Combo Tutorial: The Muy Thai Champion!

May post that in an "Ask Atlus" on one of the threads taking questions. But just because something runs on PC, doesn't means the companies have any interest of releasing on PC... How many Tatito X2 games have we ever seen get a PC release? And we all know the inherit possible issues with PC (rampant pirating, game hacking, etc), so maybe they just don't wanna deal with those potential issues.

Let's be honest. KoF13 is not going to sell big----even if the online net code is on par this time. KoF13 COULD set up for 14 to do great numbers, but that's only off the merit of 13 being a success. While PC seems like "zomg you could get more sales," you have to consider what if this game IS another turd online? Most people would want to just pirate the PC version then and not waste money on a console port. Yes there are pirates on 360 and PS3 as well, but I'd wager there's more accessibility for the PC version to screw this up for SNK on sales side.

Plus, we all know the terrible PC versions of stuff going around, with DRM, etc.

The safer bet would be for Atlus to release this on 360 and PS3, then 2-3 months later release the PC version as a download across places like D2D, Steam, etc.

My 2 pennies about it, but I will say if they did announce a PC version with GGPO, then I'd be there for that version day one no questions asked.

alstein

I suspect if KOFXIII is a turd on console, that arcade dump, someone will be working day and night to put GGPO on it for posterity's sake, especially since it will possibly be the last SNK fighter.

I wonder if Nasica stuff could be emulated in the same fashion.

Sectus

SAB CA said:
Well, pirates shouldn't be a concern anymore because well, the only way to get it on PC right now *is* to pirate it anyway. Hacking can be both a good and bad thing, it could mean cheating online, but it could also mean people mod the game and change things for the better.

It just seems weird to me that they wouldn't release a PC version when it most likely would be very cheap to do so.

Do you have a link to this "ask atlus" forum thingie? I wouldn't mind trying to get an official answer about this.

This isn't rocket science, Atlus and SNKP want to earn as much money as possible. If they announce a PC release right next to the PS3/360 one, what do you think will happen? SNKP doesn't have a 'legit' audience on the PC and when was the last time they released a PC title other than that Nakoruru wanking story?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sectus said:
Do you have a link to this "ask atlus" forum thingie? I wouldn't mind trying to get an official answer about this.

Shoryuken.com, Dreamcancel.com, Orochinagi.com, and Atlus official site have all been open to questions to turn Atlus' way. It's all a bit of a longshot (one question among hundreds, now), but maybe if AtlusAram shows up, he could shed some light on SNKP/Atlus personal ideas on PC publishing.

I'd say the only reason I;d like to see the game on PC, personally, is so all fanbase can stop having that "we could do it better!" attitude. Surely, it's an attitude that's not without reason, but it's just an attitude I'd like to see from the original creators, rather than the hobbyist, y'know?

Upon the arcade release, with all the things they crammed in (New moves, varied EX moves, Taunts, fancy filters, stages, and effects for the Saiki and Dark Ash battles, etc), as well as the tech refs, famitsu streams, and tournaments with Ichi VS top players and the Dev team members, it really felt like they pushed themselves to do the very best they could for that release. I'd love to see them do such again, for console release.

Until then... the uncomfortable silence looms heavily over all... :lol:

Sectus

General Shank-a-snatch said:
This isn't rocket science, Atlus and SNKP want to earn as much money as possible. If they announce a PC release right next to the PS3/360 one, what do you think will happen? SNKP doesn't have a 'legit' audience on the PC and when was the last time they released a PC title other than that Nakoruru wanking story?
... they'll earn some more money? I think fighting games has an audience on PC thanks to all the emulation stuff. You seriously don't think the piracy would affect the console sales, do you? Even if that's the case, it has already happened, the game is possible to pirate on PC right now.

SAB CA said:
I'd say the only reason I;d like to see the game on PC, personally, is so all fanbase can stop having that "we could do it better!" attitude. Surely, it's an attitude that's not without reason, but it's just an attitude I'd like to see from the original creators, rather than the hobbyist, y'know?
Well, if modders had access to modify the game, it could push the developers to think more like that. If they see something cool modders has made, they could go "Huh, that's cool, maybe we should add that too."

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Releasing a PC version with online play is going to look pretty good next to the "ROM dump" that is already floating around everywhere.

I really doubt that it's going to stop people from buying the console ports though. Doesn't seem like this affected BlazBlue CS.

Lyte Edge said:
I really doubt that it's going to stop people from buying the console ports though. Doesn't seem like this affected BlazBlue CS.

BB has ton of extra content ,some people might not care but others do .
It's also know for having good net code.

2 things which the last KOF game did not have .

I know the game is emulated now, just saying that the least harmful situation for them is if they wait with releasing the PC version. First, get all the fans and curious people to buy the console version and then create a new audience with the PC version (which should/could/must be a lot more attractive than the current rom.)

jett

D-Member
Such a shame that the game gets rom-dumped just when the console version is announced. :| Wish nobody had posted about it, it only brings attention to the fact.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
jett said:
Such a shame that the game gets rom-dumped just when the console version is announced. :| Wish nobody had posted about it, it only brings attention to the fact.
Even worse a Gaffer asking for the ROM. >8(
But im sure he realizes that it was a mistake.

jett

D-Member
If Atlus is reading this, a lot of people are counting on you to deliver something that will blow the rom out of the water.

Or maybe people shouldn't be posting pictures of pirated software here, like you. It's against the TOS, by the way.

Mikhal

Here's what I want for the console release:
-Better netcode (obviously)
-More characters (rooting for Oswald and Rick Strowd/Vanessa myself).
-A fight request option for every mode in the game. I rarely use this option in SF4, but I'm sure it will be extremely handy for KOF months down the line. :(
-Clan play on the 360 version if possible. It was PS3-only in XII.
-A good tutorial or at the very least a challenge/trial mode to help me learn basic stuff for all the characters.
-Translate the Technical Reference videos that SNK released on the internet and throw it into the game in an extras menu. You can expand on that by including character tutorials, artwork, music, endings, etc. and have them be unlockable.
-If they decide to make a PC version, make it cross platform with Xbox 360 like Blazblue: Calamity Trigger.
-More alternate costumes like what Raiden had with the Big Bear alt.

RedSwirl

I've never gotten the opportunity to get into KOF, my only experience with SNK fighting has been a bit of oldschool Fatal Fury back in the day, Capcom vs SNK, and a bit of KOF XII, but I can already tell you that XIII is looking pretty good.

I was actually intrigued by XII, but didn't buy it because it was just too content-light for $60 (I rented it). They should probably sell XIII for $49.99 at most. Also, they probably do need to offer a lot more than the ROM dump because that thing is not at all difficult to acquire and run, not even for someone who doesn't normally download ROMs.

Either way though, the audience for this game is North American Neo Geo fans - almost as niche as you can get in console gaming. Given that, a PSN/XBLA release like Arcana Heart 3 probably wouldn't be the worst decision.

Mikhal said:
Here's what I want for the console release:
-Better netcode (obviously)
-More characters (rooting for Oswald and Rick Strowd/Vanessa myself).
-A fight request option for every mode in the game. I rarely use this option in SF4, but I'm sure it will be extremely handy for KOF months down the line. :(
-Clan play on the 360 version if possible. It was PS3-only in XII.
-A good tutorial or at the very least a challenge/trial mode to help me learn basic stuff for all the characters.
-Translate the Technical Reference videos that SNK released on the internet and throw it into the game in an extras menu. You can expand on that by including character tutorials, artwork, music, endings, etc. and have them be unlockable.
-If they decide to make a PC version, make it cross platform with Xbox 360 like Blazblue: Calamity Trigger.
-More alternate costumes like what Raiden had with the Big Bear alt.
- actual ping numbers like pre 2002um patch, not crappy green bars.

Tizoc

SAB, thanks for linking to the vids, but can you please not link them with the hd=1 code please? Not all of us has superior soviet internet connection ;.;

Zapages said:
I just heard that the game has been dumped and leaked on the net for the pc. :|
Yup but it's not a big deal, best case scenario is that experiencing the game like this can motivate players to get the full game if Atlus does a good job with it.
...and from what I played October is a long ways to go ;.;

BTW, is canceling specials in HD/CC mode difficult or something?

zlatko

Banned
Tizoc said:
SAB, thanks for linking to the vids, but can you please not link them with the hd=1 code please? Not all of us has superior soviet internet connection ;.;

Time to step up from Fisher Price Internet and let your days of Net Zero dial up pass you by.

If you can't play HD videos from youtube, then I'd hate to get matched against you in any online game for the slide show online. :(

Any news when Atlus plans to reveal to us what it will drop into the game in terms of glitch/bugs fixed from the Arcade Version, and what they will do for the online net code ?

Tizoc

zlatko said:
Time to step up from Fisher Price Internet and let your days of Net Zero dial up pass you by.

If you can't play HD videos from youtube, then I'd hate to get matched against you in any online game for the slide show online. :(
lol, I can watch HD vids on YT, but the thing is 360 loads faster for me.
...won't deny that my net isn't very good though but I have had some good connections in BB at least against ppl from US or UK.

Any news when Atlus plans to reveal to us what it will drop into the game in terms of glitch/bugs fixed from the Arcade Version, and what they will do for the online net code ?
Nothing yet, the official website isn't even up.
Here's hoping AtlusAram can give us an update on how Atlus have been going with the game so far.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tizoc said:

Save a step for one, add a step for another, either way! :lol: Sure, though, no problem.

zlatko said:

As soon as any news is known, we'll be spreading it through the net like wildfire. And I don't really think Atlus will be adding anything; it's all up to SNKP's coders and programmers, or any middleware devs they toss onto it. Best we can hope for, I'd say, is Atlus to pump money towards getting features we want (and into making a product they're increasingly more proud of putting their name on.) Oh, and a nice Special Edition / Preorder Bonuses / First print run bonuses! ^_^

Seems SNKP is publishing the game in Japan themselves, so it stands to reason that we'll get features par to what they get. I wish SNKP would start the hype train going... character silhouettes, a website with locked options that describe game modes, a teaser vid of features... "Coming this Fall!" is so vague! :(

Fersis

Dear Atlus USA: Im a game programmer and i would code your missions and training mode for free. Just give me a roof and add my name to the credits.

With much love and obsession: Fersis.

Souther

Banned
If Yamazaki doesn't end up making it into the console release somehow then I think I am going to main Hwa Jai. He seems pretty crazy and I always prefer those types of characters.

alstein

Tizoc said:

Yup but it's not a big deal, best case scenario is that experiencing the game like this can motivate players to get the full game if Atlus does a good job with it.

I've heard the timing is pretty strict, but at least the motions aren't ridiculous. At least KOF lacks links for the most part.

RedSwirl

Tizoc said:

Yeah, the dump is nothing near what you usually get with a full home release fighting game. It's literally just the arcade mode with a secret training mode included. You can't even pause the game.

Hopefully they'll take a hint from what all the other home fighting games have been doing recently like SSFIV, MvC3, and MK9: some kind of lengthy singleplayer content, training challenges, tons of unlockable crap, etc. I know it'll never happen, but imagine if they did a story mode like the one in MK9 but with anime cut scenes that transition smoothly into gameplay.

Fersis said:
Dear Atlus USA: Im a game programmer and i would code your missions and training mode for free. Just give me a roof and add my name to the credits.

With much love and obsession: Fersis.

Not a bad idea, I would like to work for free as a personal backrubber. By the way, if my hands accidentally reach your necks, the safe word is: DOOOOOOOD

Souther said:
If Yamazaki doesn't end up making it into the console release somehow then I think I am going to main Hwa Jai. He seems pretty crazy and I always prefer those types of characters.
You main 3 characters in these games.

unless you like that lame 1v1 mode :(

Top Bottom