• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Solune

General Shank-a-snatch said:
How the hell was I supposed to know it was an insult? If you read the thread carefully, you see I just used Lyte Edge's quote. Grow up.
No I know what you meant, and my post wasn't meant to come off assholish. I wish I could grow a few more inches though, 5"9 is still kind of short.

On a serious note I know what you meant, even though the characters' designs were developed with an anime influence and I don't even think that's a proper term, they maintained a sense of realism. Now, in your opinion, they've gone overboard and have lost a little bit of personality that they had before transitioning to KoFXII and XIII. Does that sound about right?

SAB CA said:
I hate the term myself, sounds like ignorant foreigners making fun of something they don't understand... I never understood why it's so widespread here on GAF.

Same here but now it use for allot of things other than it' s normal meaning .

First thing i going to do when i get KOF is kill people with angry meat bun Yuri that sound awesome lol.

Solune said:
On a serious note I know what you meant, even though the characters' designs were developed with an anime influence and I don't even think that's a proper term, they maintained a sense of realism. Now, in your opinion, they've gone overboard and have lost a little bit of personality that they had before transitioning to KoFXII and XIII. Does that sound about right?

More than anything it's because of time and SNK trying to also kept up with current art styles.

chriskun

I really wish they had updated some of the characters fashion choices in this game, who fucking wears boot-fit jeans or pants any more(besides me). And whats up with all the dudes wearing cropped shirts. It's like they took all the worst trends from the late 80's and late nineties and threw them in a blender. I don't really care that much actually, but things like this actually can affect the popularity of a game, especially if some of your characters are dressed like rejects from a milli and vanilly video.

Let's just drop the whole anime thing, it's nothing but trouble.

---

I wouldn't necessarily call it cloning. Ogura tended to give characters rounder faces and softer features in 2003, while Nona usually gave characters a sharper look.

Here's one example, both by Ogura. 2003 ending and NGBC promo:

xlI8Z.png

There are also subtle influences, like Ogura making the XIII promo art a lot darker like Nona did for 2001/2002, but that may be a bit farfetched. Hiroaki's art for XI was just strange, it's like every character was standing underneath an umbrella, what with the huge amount of unnecessary shading.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I've been an anime fan for too long to enjoy the "anime - e + u" thing, lol. Glad to see I'm not the only one!

chriskun said:
I really wish they had updated some of the characters fashion choices in this game, who fucking wears boot-fit jeans or pants any more(besides me). And whats up with all the dudes wearing cropped shirts. It's like they took all the worst trends from the late 80's and late nineties and threw them in a blender. I don't really care that much actually, but things like this actually can affect the popularity of a game, especially if some of your characters are dressed like rejects from a milli and vanilly video.

I think one of the fun things about the variety of designs, is that they DO stay with the style THOSE characters like/were created under. It makes it easy to say "this character is from THIS time in KoF, this one is the new batch", etc.

And they DID try updating the styles to fit modern times. That's all that Falcoon did with MI. His "Another" designs were modern takes on what the character archetype would be like, under current fashion trends and styles. And we all know how badly THAT turned out!

Also, everyone keeps bringing up the cropped shirt thing, and... it really doesn't bother me. I think it gives the guys an acceptable amount of cheesecake, that's not TOO awkward. I think Leporad print shirt Beni from 2k3 or XI went overboard though, heh. Women wear HUGE cleavage, skirts when they KNOW they're gonna be flipping and kicking, and outfits that accentuate their favorite physical features. So if a guy wears glam-rocker leather pants, shows off his abs, or runs around shirtless every once in a while, it's not really that big a deal... makes the playing field feel more even, rather than entirely lopsided.

I wouldn't necessarily call it cloning. Ogura tended to give characters rounder faces and softer features in 2003, while Nona usually gave characters a sharper look.

Well, "cloning" could be a bit harsher than I intended. Lets just say they all start to show influences of each other, lol. I generally like all their recent promo and cinematic art, as of late. The Victory Art for XII and XIII especially seem to give the in-game stuff a nice compliment, working with the same design mentality, but giving it a bit more form.

If SNKP ever got the chance to put such strong style into pixel style again, for a non-KoF game.. I wonder who they'd base the art off of? It'd be so great to see Sam-Sho portraits come to life in animated 2D (The original games did this rather well, yes, but with the detail and advanced techniques used in the recent KoFs... I also wonder if they'd attempt heavier inky shading?)... It'd be so great to see! :(

kokujin

Banned
XI was very inconsistent for me.For some characters the art looked great for others not so much.I do like Hiroaki's darker look though.

chriskun said:
I don't think it is too much of a problem, Tekken's younger guys wore similar clothes, and no one complains about that.

Veal

The look of this game really reminds me of a higher quality Daraku Tenshi
Can't wait for this! I skipped XII and this is definitely sounding like what XII should have been allo along.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Veal said:
The look of this game really reminds me of a higher quality Daraku Tenshi.

That's funny because "Cool" and "Harry Ness" are basically prototype K' and Maxima, being from the same designer (Shinichi Morioka). He's slowly trying to make the Daraku Tenshi sequel! ;)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
east of eastside said:
Simple question: graphically what has changed from KOF12 to KOF13? Lower res character sprites? Anything else?

The characters aren't lower res, they're just not as zoomed in. Also, there is a minor filter applied to them, to keep them from getting overly blocky when zooming during special moves and such.

Lighting effects from hitsparks on characters / effects from shadows in the background darkening character have been toned down. They added some rim-lighting to characters in certain stages, however.

Characters recieved new moves, which means there's some new frames of animation. Characters falling on the ground look more natural, and the game flow has been adjusted. But the shading depth, self-shadows, special effects, and level of overall detail all remain the same.

SAB CA said:
The characters aren't lower res, they're just not as zoomed in. Also, there is a minor filter applied to them, to keep them from getting overly blocky when zooming during special moves and such.

Lighting effects from hitsparks on characters / effects from shadows in the background darkening character have been toned down. They added some rim-lighting to characters in certain stages, however.

Characters recieved new moves, which means there's some new frames of animation. Characters falling on the ground look more natural, and the game flow has been adjusted. But the shading depth, self-shadows, special effects, and level of overall detail all remain the same.

thanks, much appreciated.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Madman cafe member chazumaru translated the french info:
chazumaru said:
Oh my god...
Oh my god...
Holy shit...
It seems the consumer version is going to be FUCKING AWESOME !!

I just came back from two intense hours with the debug X360 version and it k-i-c-k-s a-s-s.

Obviously since it was debug, there are some stages which are not completed yet (some second rounds came with a full green background), all musics are not included yet, there are missing outfit colors for the characters, the roster is not complete (all the characters from the arcade version are there, as well as new ones, but you feel there is room for more), but even with the glimpse that I got, I am confident the final result will be absolute bliss.\o/

No worry about the major concern we had, regarding the big pixels I mentioned earlier, actually my friend had tried the game on a non-Full HD television set, but on a fine TV, it's as beautiful as the arcade version (and maybe even better thanks to the bigger screen).

Please treat the following information cautiously as the final version might turn out very differently but, for now, available from the get go and in addition to the Arcade version characters, you have:

- Billy Kane (well, among all the characters they could have added, I could have seen other choices, such as Saishû Kusanagi or Vanessa, but it's still cool)
- Saiki (but in a version which is neither him barechested and beefy, nor the silhouette. Here he looks a lot like Ash with long hair, but his moveset is verrrrrrry interesting =p)

I saw no Boss because we kept playing VS, but who knows, there might be a good surprise.

I noticed 4 or 5 new stages alongside the ones from the arcade version, some of them clearly not finished yet, but each one looked more gorgeous than the other. Billy's steampunk background is awesome, the one lit only by red torches conveys the same feeling as some oldschool KOF stages, the two stages which were not finished and on a fixed plane should kick ass (a deserted backstreet and ruins in the middle of nature), the one which is located in a sort of airplane is nice, I think I forgot some other new stages but most importantly, the KOF96 stage for Team Japan returns in a 2011 updated version (with the bystanders in the background and all that). Even better, the BGM is Esaka! (that blew my brain out)

Otherwise, the game is as nervous and fast paced as in the arcade version, with very tight controls (unfortunately, Xbox pads are the worst thing ever to try out fighting games, but we had no sticks =/)

Didn't try the Gallery mode and other mission/online/etc bullshit, but among the four people who tried it with me, even those who are not big fighting game fans, everyone agreed: IT. ROCKS.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Saiki had character portraits on the old countdown-to-release site, so it stands to reason that those pics were for something more than just the site.

I do wonder what this "interesting moveset" is, however. Re-uses of ash frames for different effects? Or totally new stuff? Charge moves, or command? It could end up very interesting to see what they do.

If Saiki is indeed added, I wonder if the Arcade mode progression would stay the same? Or maybe the story would change only if you have Ash on your own team? Or maybe Saiki would only appear if you're on the "Bad end" path? So many possibilites!

N4Us

For anyone interested, iPlayWinner is streaming ranbats this Sunday for KOFXIII at the Southtown Arcade. Watch me possibly get blown up as I've barely touched the game in a month.

SAB CA said:
That's funny because "Cool" and "Harry Ness" are basically prototype K' and Maxima, being from the same designer (Shinichi Morioka). He's slowly trying to make the Daraku Tenshi sequel! ;)

Some moves from Garou characters were also based off DT characters moves.

the KOF96 stage for Team Japan returns in a 2011 updated version (with the bystanders in the background and all that). Even better, the BGM is Esaka! (that blew my brain out)

Oh god, this is going to be so awesome. All of the stages in the game look great, so I can't wait to see what they do to this one.

Playable Saiki was expected, what I didn't expect was it not being the boss version. I wonder if we'll get both.

SAB CA said:
Or maybe Saiki would only appear if you're on the "Bad end" path? So many possibilites!

Speaking of the bad end, just HOW do you get it? I've literally never seen it in the almost a year the game's been in my arcade, and if it was't for Youtube I wouldn't even know it existed.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
IPW will be streaming KOFXIII this Sunday and pretty much every other sunday after that if all goes according to plan.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
yeah they are doing ranbats at southtown arcade. I went there this past sunday and we did a test and it worked fine so we said fuck it, lets stream this shit yo.

haunts said:
yeah they are doing ranbats at southtown arcade. I went there this past sunday and we did a test and it worked fine so we said fuck it, lets stream this shit yo.

Why do you always pick such horrible avatars? First Juri, now Ed Norton? :|

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
haunts said:
IPW will be streaming KOFXIII this Sunday and pretty much every other sunday after that if all goes according to plan.
Thanks you based haunts!

SO HAIP! Im gonna be stream monstering the hell out of every other sunday then!
This is good exposure specially now that the KOFXIII hype is in an all time high.

tzare

not sure if posted. From a speksnk member
mzl.dzgxmjey.jpg
mzl.iliyoesz.jpg
mzl.glkmxtsh.jpg

The popular 2D Fighting Game Series “KOF” appears on the iPhone/iPod touch!
With beautiful visuals and high-resolution graphics, this game uses the Virtual Pad to bring you a seamless and intuitive “KOF” experience. Furthermore, moves that require complex commands can be easily pulled off with the Simple Specials Button or the various touch controls.
Not only the old fans, but newcomers to KOF and fighting game novices alike will be able to fully and easily enjoy this new “KOF” experience!

Features:

* 4 different single player modes!
Fight 3 on 3 in “Team Battle”, 1 on 1 in “Single Battle”, see how many opponents you can beat with 1 character in “Endless”, or practice making combos using the Virtual Pad in “Training”.

* Many extras like trading cards and artwork!
You can view all the extras you unlocked during the game in Gallery Mode. Fans will not want to miss the many extras, including premium trading cards with hand-drawn illustrations, concept art, illustrations and rough sketches of each character, Team Story Novels, and movies from “KOFXIII”!

* Trade data & fight other players anytime, anywhere!
Use Bluetooth to connect to other terminals within the signal range. Get a bunch of friends together to create your own impromptu arcade! Enjoy improved interaction between players by exchanging trading cards and sending and receiving replay data!!

* The strongest warriors in history are here!
The 13 fighters, including protagonists Kyo Kusanagi, K’ and Ash Crimson are joined by Billy Kane from “Fatal Fury”! But that’s not all! More characters will be made available as DLC, so keep checking back regularly!!

I love the new backgrounds , we need more stages where the background was not so busy .
I really hope we get more than billy when the game comes out plus DLC chars.

Fersis

Source Andriansang
Andriansang said:
The King of Fightes i features 14 characters, including Billy Kane who's making his first return to the series since KOF2003 (you'll recall hearing about Billy recently with regards to the home version of KOFXIII). SNK Playmore plans on adding six additional characters by October, Famitsu.com reports.

Modes of play include 3 on 3 team battle, 1 on 1 single battle, an endless survival mode, and a training mode. The game supports Bluetooth for local wireless play. You can also collect trading cards which can be exchanged with other players.
OH MAW GAD! The console version is going to be nuts if the iphone is this good.

Fersis

According to iPlaywinner it releases today. :0

iPhone GAF you better buy it!!

How much will the game be? I don't know jack about iPhones, what's the standard price for games like these?
About $4.99 would be my guess. That's how much SF4 Mobile was.
Sporadic sales might sweeten the deal (I picked up SFIV for 99 cents).

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'll pick it up for sure. Maybe it will actually play decently-enough, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. iPhone touch controls for fighters is just...LOL.

Stuff from the MMcafe

I'm not sure of the iPhone/touch's specs but the backgrounds seem to be static, which definitely makes things very light.

The tutorial has an illustration of Nakoruru for some reason. I think that'll cause rumors to spread. Fast.

http://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1765365.png
http://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1765370.png
http://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1765373.png
http://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1765376.png
http://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1765379.png - Locked colour.
http://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1765383.png - 96 Esaka Stage & Cloth rip
http://www.dotup.org/uploda/www.dotup.org1765394.png - Modes. Trade stuff at the Shop with "Rose Coins" earned by playing.

Do the handhelds have some sort of screenshot capability?

Agh, beaten to the news! Billy usable by default. Already. If SNKP is delivering Billy already, they hopefully have other characters to show off.

Reports coming in:

Billy skills
Sansetsukon Chuudan Uchi (Tri-Cane)[Ex]
Kaen Sansetsukon Chuudan Uchi (Tri-Cane Explosion)
Suzume Otoshi (Upper Cane) [Ex]
Senpuukon (Typhoon Cane)
Kyoushuu Hishou Kon (Flying Cane smasher)
Super: Chou Kaen Senpuu Kon (Final Hurricane Fire Cane) [EX]
Neomax: Dai Guren Senpuu kon

It sounds more or less like 95 Billy.

Additional Stages (not all):
95 Iori
96 Esaka
Rocky area
Kyokugen Dojo

At 900yen which is a bit pricy for an i-app, this is a really wicked way for SNKP to milk some money as a teaser.

Top Bottom