• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So at least we can pretty much confirm all those stages for the console version.
Dayum.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm hyped to try this on iPhone now, lol. Probably won't be up in the U.S. until this evening.

I take it there's no online play. SF4 Volt offers it...

tzare

stages , hopefully all of them will be available for console versions too

www.dotup.org1765464.png

Lyte Edge said:
I'm hyped to try this on iPhone now, lol. Probably won't be up in the U.S. until this evening.

I take it there's no online play. SF4 Volt offers it...
Just local versus over bluetooth according to the press release.

tzare

i love AOF2's Takuma's stage remake xD

I can't believe after all the wait the game is almost here :)

If online code is good, fersis could make a list of PS360 ids so we could do some online

Skilletor said:
Is this iOS KoF based off of KoF12 or 13?

Everything about it says XIII.

Man, I'll need to convince my brother to let me use his iPod when this comes out. As weird as it may sound to some people, I don't have one myself.

New stages look amazing.

Edit: Wait...HOLY SHIT is the one to the left of Osaka 95's Team Iori's stage?! o__O

.la1n

I do like SFIV / Volt's on screen control scheme. It isn't perfect but it's passable compared to most other efforts. Obviously KoF's control scheme seems to be a bit more intricate so we will see, i'll buy it any way to support the cause.

Hmm, the Nakoruru illustration doesn't even look like it's drawn by Ogura, so she's probably just a random cameo drawn by someone on the mobile gaming staff. She was a secret character in KoF96 for the Gameboy IIRC though. wHo knows? If they wanted to add a non KoF character for lawlz and extra attention, the female mascot of SNK would be most likely.

That "rocky stage" on the upper right of the stage selection looks like the Egypt (?) stage from KoF 2000.

EDIT: Looking at the better stage pics, now I'm thinking Ikari or Metal Slug now for that desert rocky stage.

Lyte Edge

^^^^^
Nakoruru was a secret character in KOF '95 for Gameboy. That was made by Takara though.

The added stages from older games has been done before...in one of the Dreamcast KOF ports, IIRC. I think it was 2001.

Wonder if this will carry over to the console XIII.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
These pics don't really suggest that the stages are 100% done for console.

• Quite a different amount of zoom.
  • No animated background details.
  • Possibility of different NPCs.
  • Stages in full game could have different forms, which probably don't appear here.
  • The new "Elisabeth Garden" stage looks totally different. Here, it's centered around the angel statue. In the full one, there's a watery stone area to the right side, and the destroyed buildings are more to the left. Here, those details look centered and remixed.

The gameplay vid even shows the Garden stage, and none of it looks JUST like what we've seen of the full game stage so far; much more a remix than a direct rip.

It's easy to believe they built these stages from elements of the complete stage designs, but even the old stages seen in this style are undergoing a lot of "compression" in some of these screens, to fit into the new size format.

I hope none of them will be DLC either, however. Save the DLC for something that's NOT previewed in another playable form 4 months before your console release, lol. If they ARE DLC, and come with loads of bells and whistles (nightime variations, bonus soundtracks, an army of guest characters in the BG, scrolling, etc), then I wouldn't mind as much, personally.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Info on KOFi from Wesker on SpekSNK, brought to my attention by DarKaoZ:

- The game has the same intro as the arcade. With great quality!
- The Menu has a new music track.
- Before playing, you are taken to a tutorial to learn how to play the game.
- Nakoruru appears in the tutorial and it's a fight between Kyo and Ash.
- The music seems to be the same as the one from the Arcade. The animation is really fluid, looks great on the iPhone.
- The stages are not animated, but they have zoom.
- The tutorial teaches you Kyo NeoMAX so the assumption is that all the characters have their NeoMAX.
- The mecanics of the game as similar to XIII, but with the obvious simplification in the control scheme. Combos seem easy to pull.
- After the tutorial, the game send you to the Main Menu and it has the following options: Arcade, Bluetooth Mode, Gallery, Record, Shop and Game Center.
- Facebook and Twitter are integrated into the game.
- 3 colors per character.
- The game shows you the challenges while fighting, just like the Arcade.
- After the fight is done, you can save the replay!
- After every fight you earn points.
- The final boss is ASH.
- Billy and Joe have a funny conversation in which Billy gets mad that Joe is stalking his sister or something on those lines.
- Billy vs Billy conversation is about "Geese can only have 1 right hand man!"
- The game doesn't have endings, it just says "Congratulations!" and gives you illustrations for the Gallery.
- Yuri and King have their clothe ripping off as the Arcade ver.
- Esaka 96 stage is completely redone.
- You can unlock challenges, or you can unlock challenges/archievements while you play.
- Billy standing pose is kinda static, but well done. His voice is the same one we know.
- When you fight Billy, his FF music plays.
- In Gallery mode, all the stories of the teams are translated to english.

Frankfurt

Banned
I hope the mobile version runs on my iPod 2nd gen... Looks pretty great. I always figured if we ever got a version, they would have to slow the game down for touch controls to work. Sf4 worked really well on iPhone, so an slower KOFXIII should work fine.

Amagon

SolarKnight said:
Everything about it says XIII.

Man, I'll need to convince my brother to let me use his iPod when this comes out. As weird as it may sound to some people, I don't have one myself.

New stages look amazing.

Edit: Wait...HOLY SHIT is the one to the left of Osaka 95's Team Iori's stage?! o__O
I'm really, really, REALLY hoping when this stage appears for KOFXIII, that we get back Arashi No Saxophone to go along with it. A boy can dream..

Frankfurt

Banned
Not sure I like the new, more "proportinal" style of the (new) background characters. Not only because they look far less expressive, by also because it clashes with previous backgrounds. It's like how Kula's shading clashes with everyone else's shading.

Oh well, every other KOF suffered from this, I guess it was expected. Consistency hasn't been a staple in the series.

Should be fun, still.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
KOFi gameplay on the Kyokugen dojo stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZvZup1mQIg

PLAY BILLY DANGIT! -ahem- Casual fans really do love their Mai, eh?

Oh, also get to hear the new menu screen music, which is pretty interesting in itself... (OMG, Martial artist also watch other martial artist! That aren't just SUMOS!)

Frankfurt said:
Not sure I like the new, more "proportinal" style of the (new) background characters. Not only because they look far less expressive, by also because it clashes with previous backgrounds. It's like how Kula's shading clashes with everyone else's shading.

Oh well, every other KOF suffered from this, I guess it was expected. Consistency hasn't been a staple in the series.

Should be fun, still.

I like the fact that it shows everyone who watches fighitng isn't just a bunch of oddly-shaped people who wish they could fight in the same way.

I perfer the more expressive ones artistically, but it's a hard style to keep consistent VS everyone else who'se gonna cameo back there. (it was already weird to see the Agents team among the shapely women of france... Shermie fit in ok, though ;) )

Part of me is quite happy we're seeing people of color that don't look like Tribal paintings or freaky ethnic carvings. That's a cool style in itself, but it's hard to recieve as well when there's a bunch of Japanese peope jumping around who are REALLY pretty (even the men!) right in front of them.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
If the console version also has twitter integration.. oh man. OH. MAN.!

KOFi Billy Kane footage.
So we see Billy Kane in motion for the first time via an iPhone... T___T

Ok matsushita tweeted something that translated by Google reads like this:
Google said:
Additional background KOF13, good reputation and I do! ⊂ ((· Φ ·)) from the stage pounding meeting Temashita ⊃!

Yahoo Babelfish
Yahoo said:
The additional background of KOF13, reputation it should have been good -! ⊂ ((Φ))[dokidoki] doing from ⊃ previous arrangement stage, because it increased!
More stages for the console version?

Lyte Edge

KOFi is up now on the U.S. iTunes store. Downloading now...

EDIT: This game is very, very impressive and plays as well as it possibly could given the limitations of touch screen controls. It blows the iOS Street Fighter IV out of the water. The animation is incredibly smooth and I've already been able to go crazy with combos in the training mode. This really makes me want the PS3/360 versions right now, lol.

Lyte Edge

Billy really seems like he's lacking in animation compared to the rest of the characters...almost like the sprite is unfinished.

Lyte Edge said:
KOFi is up now on the U.S. iTunes store. Downloading now...

EDIT: This game is very, very impressive and plays as well as it possibly could given the limitations of touch screen controls. It blows the iOS Street Fighter IV out of the water. The animation is incredibly smooth and I've already been able to go crazy with combos in the training mode. This really makes me want the PS3/360 versions right now, lol.
What characters are available off the bat?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
KusoCamera bringing those of us without Iphones the goods: A Billy battle, with competent gameplay, a good selection of moves, his DM, and his Neomax.

http://youtu.be/cTHYaNxFKQM

So his DP move is very fast, has a lifting blow, and leave room to combo on the way down... Looks like he's making a good play into working with HD mode combos already!

Edit: Might as well post the press release, provided b MMCafe's Professor!

Note that the 6 additional character released in October for KOFi will be FREE. So no need to worry about a paid DL to butt up the game with DLC! (for now..... (X_X) )

The popular 2D Fighting Game Series “KOF” appears on the iPhone/iPod touch!
With beautiful visuals and high-resolution graphics, this game uses the Virtual Pad to bring you a seamless and intuitive “KOF” experience. Furthermore, moves that require complex commands can be easily pulled off with the Simple Specials Button or the various touch controls.
Not only the old fans, but newcomers to KOF and fighting game novices alike will be able to fully and easily enjoy this new “KOF” experience!

Features:

* 4 different single player modes!
Fight 3 on 3 in “Team Battle”, 1 on 1 in “Single Battle”, see how many opponents you can beat with 1 character in “Endless”, or practice making combos using the Virtual Pad in “Training”.

* Many extras like trading cards and artwork!
You can view all the extras you unlocked during the game in Gallery Mode. Fans will not want to miss the many extras, including premium trading cards with hand-drawn illustrations, concept art, illustrations and rough sketches of each character, Team Story Novels, and movies from “KOFXIII”!

* Trade data & fight other players anytime, anywhere!
Use Bluetooth to connect to other terminals within the signal range. Get a bunch of friends together to create your own impromptu arcade! Enjoy improved interaction between players by exchanging trading cards and sending and receiving replay data!!

* The strongest warriors in history are here!
The 13 fighters, including protagonists Kyo Kusanagi, K’ and Ash Crimson are joined by Billy Kane from “Fatal Fury”! But that’s not all!6 additional characters will be available to download for free by October, 2011 for a total of 20 characters!

I have to admit... this really reminds me of the Neo Geo Pocket fighters :( So unfair!

Lyte Edge

Heretic Kazuma said:
What characters are available off the bat?

Kyo
Benimaru
Goro
Terry
Andy
Joe
King
Mai
Yuri
K'
Kula
Maxima
Ash
Billy

That's it until the dlc is released...

Skilletor

It does look awesome, and it's a cool preview of the console version. Controls are ass.

Not just touch screen, but limiting us to one punch and one kick. I guess it's necessary, but still horrible.

Edit: The features in this are pretty awesome. There's a combo training for each character, tons of modes, stuff to unlock. And it's SOOOO pretty!

Some caps from my itouch:

bcbbf001.jpg

580d30ab.jpg

7ec7231c.jpg

f00e2a6d-1.jpg

c18ff0a6.jpg

Skilletor

Dynamite Shikoku said:
Can you change the transparency of the control stick and buttons?

Yes, and the placement of the buttons/stick. Can't change the type of stick, though, which is kind of a bummer.

ZoddGutts said:
Vote they released this on Vita as well.

They will just bring out KOFXIII on vita not KOFi.
Man it would be awesome for KOFXIII to be la launch title for vita with cross platform play that would make me double dip.

Lyte Edge

Skilletor said:
It does look awesome, and it's a cool preview of the console version. Controls are ass.

Not just touch screen, but limiting us to one punch and one kick. I guess it's necessary, but still horrible.

The control layout should be expected...four-six button controls, requiring multiple button presses at the same time, just isn't going to work on an iPhone or iTouch.

But I'm still impressed with what they managed to cram into this game, and it plays much better than SF4 or UMK3. Best fighting game on iOS, hands-down...although that really isn't saying much, lol.

Edit: The features in this are pretty awesome. There's a combo training for each character, tons of modes, stuff to unlock. And it's SOOOO pretty!

Just needs online play!

Tizoc said:
Weren't the additional character for SF4 on iPhone also free?

Yes. They also added an extra stage or two for free, too. Paid DLC was for SF2 music and alternate outfits for Ryu and Chun-Li. Doesn't carry over to Volt, either.

Fersis

Ok so ive asked if the iphone stages will be on the console version and Yahoo Babelfish says:
Matsushita said:
Of course, we have entered! It is understood with stage and the like of m (_ _) m steam flat tire system, don't you think?! ⊂ ((Φ))⊃

So goddamn. Lots of new stages confirmed!!!

alstein

SAB CA said:
KusoCamera bringing those of us without Iphones the goods: A Billy battle, with competent gameplay, a good selection of moves, his DM, and his Neomax.

http://youtu.be/cTHYaNxFKQM

So his DP move is very fast, has a lifting blow, and leave room to combo on the way down... Looks like he's making a good play into working with HD mode combos already!

Edit: Might as well post the press release, provided b MMCafe's Professor!

Note that the 6 additional character released in October for KOFi will be FREE. So no need to worry about a paid DL to butt up the game with DLC! (for now..... (X_X) )

I have to admit... this really reminds me of the Neo Geo Pocket fighters :( So unfair!

That Billy DP+K into QCB+A is a standard combo in 98UM for EX Billy, not surprised it was kept.

What I did notice from that was how many of his normals appear to have changed, not a fan of his new sweep. That said, if they give it the same range as his FWD+B and make that an overhead like it was in 98UM, we'd be in business. I didn't see fwd+B in that, just fwd+A. Billy seems to have a new low normal, his low normals might confirm a little better to improve his comboing also.

I'm not surprised at Billy getting his old specials, they're sufficient, the only move I would have liked to see added is his counters, but Billy counters+ the HD system might have been broken. Countering into DM or worse would have been easy.

I'm not a fan of characters having only one DM when others have two though. Billy isn't the only victim of this though.

Top Bottom