• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Frankfurt

Banned
UMK3 had an alternate 6-button control scheme, without the "special" shortcut buttons. It controlled better than the usual "press one button and presto" controls, IMO. SF2 on iPhone (Capcom Arcade) also had the option of all 6 buttons.

Anyway, seen a guy on TouchArcade say it doesn't work on 2nd Gen devices, so no go for me. May be a good thing, as I won't get spoiled on Billy and a bunch of pre-match dialogue.

Ya know, one very easy addition for these fighting apps would be Bluetooth keyboard support. As an iPad user I would be much more inclined to buy it were I not already buying because of the fanboi thing.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Frankfurt said:
UMK3 had an alternate 6-button control scheme, without the "special" shortcut buttons. It controlled better than the usual "press one button and presto" controls, IMO. SF2 on iPhone (Capcom Arcade) also had the option of all 6 buttons.

Anyway, seen a guy on TouchArcade say it doesn't work on 2nd Gen devices, so no go for me. May be a good thing, as I won't get spoiled on Billy and a bunch of pre-match dialogue.

You don't generally have to press multiple button combinations (for rolling, powering-up, super moves, CD attacks, etc.) in SF2 and UMK3 though.

How do you perform Gief's spinning lariat in SF2 with the six button combination enabled?

patrickthehedgehog said:
Sure made it easy to justify buying an ipod touch with same day shipping... Well, I can use it for MP3's right!? Hahahaa

That's some real dedication, but also a bit of overkill, haha.

Lyte Edge said:
That's some real dedication, but also a bit of overkill, haha.

I bought it with the money from selling my 3DS. Next week it will be announced for that system I'm sure! As long as it doesn't beat the console release out I won't feel too bad!

Skilletor

This game looks great with 2x size on iPad. The joystick's range of movement makes it pretty rough to play.

This is amazing, lol. I am now so hype for the console release.

Skilletor

General Shank-a-snatch said:
I got a couple of questions for controls:

- I only see P and K, I assume you have to press the button longer for a strong punch?
- How are EX attacks done?

Direction + p gives you different strengths.

d+p = c. lp
d/b+p = c. hp

I don't know how to do ex moves with simple mode, but in the other mode you do motion + s.

Lyte Edge

patrickthehedgehog said:
I bought it with the money from selling my 3DS. Next week it will be announced for that system I'm sure! As long as it doesn't beat the console release out I won't feel too bad!

I would have kept that 3DS...

I got a couple of questions for controls:

- I only see P and K, I assume you have to press the button longer for a strong punch?

Nope, it's not going for the pressure-sensitive style game play. There's just one punch and one kick button, but different directions make for different attacks. EDIT: Beaten

- How are EX attacks done?

Do specials with the special move button instead of with punch or kick. I have no idea how to do EX moves using the simple control scheme because of this, but the way I am playing the game is by using both regular and simple special move inputs together.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Complete KOF i gallery

gallarycard105.png

This funny cards are really cute and well done.

OH MAH GAWD EACH TEAM HAS HIS OWN EMBLEM!! GENIUS!!

^ Yeah, they look better than the horrid special ending pictures with the cutesy characters in 02UM. I also like the team icons a lot.

Got all of that, thanks Lyte.

I watched this video and saw that you earn currency and buy alt colors and trading cards at the in-game store. I hope the console pre-order DLC character is just for early access purposes and not exclusive and having to pay real cash for it while it is already on the disc. I didn't mind earning characters in XI and 02UM, they could easily squeeze out replay value if the console version has a store as well.

GrayFoxPL

Fersis, Elizabeth plays really well with my stick. Also I heard that in the arcades everyone can have her for a quarter or smth.

*Awaits Fersplosion.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GrayFoxPL said:
Fersis, Elizabeth plays really well with my stick. Also I heard that in the arcades everyone can have her for a quarter or smth.

*Awaits Fersplosion.
YOU. ME. OUTSIDE. NAO!!!!! >8(

No one talks like that 'bout my waif!

Choppasmith said:
Nice! I love how the teams have their own emblems.
Each emblem is made with a litte detail for every member.
SNKP should release those emblems clean and high res.

It also looks like each team has a stage assigned to them... mhmhm neat.
So far it looks like KOFXIII will be the best KOF ever released. DAYUMN!

Frankfurt

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
You don't generally have to press multiple button combinations (for rolling, powering-up, super moves, CD attacks, etc.) in SF2 and UMK3 though.

How do you perform Gief's spinning lariat in SF2 with the six button combination enabled?

Pressing three buttons. I don't know where you got the impression you can't press multiple buttons in iOS, but it's 100% wrong. You don't even need to download Capcom Arcade app to check (it was even free when I got it, I assume it still is). Every single iOS device can do zoom in and out by using two fingers. I ven had other games that can tell if you using one or two fingers (one finger to move character, two fingers, even side-by-side, will go into camera pan mode).

Also, UMK3 does have slides with multi-button presses.

Lyte Edge

Frankfurt said:
Pressing three buttons. I don't know where you got the impression you can't press multiple buttons in iOS, but it's 100% wrong. You don't even need to download Capcom Arcade app to check (it was even free when I got it, I assume it still is). Every single iOS device can do zoom in and out by using two fingers. I ven had other games that can tell if you using one or two fingers (one finger to move character, two fingers, even side-by-side, will go into camera pan mode).

Also, UMK3 does have slides with multi-button presses.

I had no idea! I always thought that was the second reason for the simple button set-up and special move button, besides being changed for beginners.

Didn't think it was an iOS limitation, but the developers' design choice. I have Final Fight for the Capcom Arcade app and attack+jump did not work for me when I tried it.

EDIT: Tried SF2' with Gief. The lariat has been simplified to two buttons.

Fersis

_dementia said:
Fersis rage is pretty amazing
I dont rage i hype.

But i was pretty mad when SNKP announced KOF02UM and 98UM as XBLA exclusives.

Skilletor

Thanks, so characters have their complete move set and abilities? That's pretty cool.

I don't think so. I think some normals are missing. I don't have standard jabs with terry, or a hard kick when far from the opponent.

I might be missing something, though.

Hey Feresis. Beth sucks. It's all about Mature. Now she's hot. And her FEELING GOOD? victory pose is hotter than anything Beth can ever hope to muster.

Metal Massacre For Life baby.

Fersis

Douche McBaggins The 3rd said:
Hey Feresis. Beth sucks. It's all about Mature. Now she's hot. And her FEELING GOOD? victory pose is hotter than anything Beth can ever hope to muster.

Metal Massacre For Life baby.
Elisabeth is too classy to be compared with Mature. Iori did good at KOF96...

Fersis said:
Elisabeth is too classy to be compared with Mature. Iori did good at KOF96...

Isn't Beth's costume basically saying Cosplay or Douche Noble? Mature... Now that's sexy. Office uniform. Feeling good. Spanking claws. The hug me DM. The Bitch Slap from hell DM. Not to mention her acrobatic flips. Easily hotter than Elizabeth.

Fersis

Isn't Beth's costume basically saying Cosplay or Douche Noble? Mature... Now that's sexy. Office uniform. Feeling good. Spanking claws. The hug me DM. The Bitch Slap from hell DM. Not to mention her acrobatic flips. Easily hotter than Elizabeth.
Good luck when Mature stabs you in the back.

Ill be on my honey moon in France too busy to hear you scream.

Creepyness x 1000

SolarKnight said:
Hey man, both our lovely Betty and Mature can coexist, no need to say that D:
Yeah i went too far. But Iori is so awesome.. * Cue Arashi No Saxophone *

And you get some action with Vice too huh?... and Rugal lololol

Fersis said:
Good luck when Mature stabs you in the back.

Ill be on my honey moon in France too busy to hear you scream.

Creepyness x 1000

Yeah i went too far. But Iori is so awesome.. * Cue Arashi No Saxophone *

And you get some action with Vice too huh?... and Rugal lololol

I figure I can be spanked by Vice's long stretchy arm. The spank that's also a super reach around.

alstein

I miss Vice and Mature's classic outfits, I don't like the new ones.

That said, Iori's partners should be Billy and Eiji, not Vice and Mature.

Tobe

hi, so a friend of mine who is still in the gaf queue wanted to ask you guys is it better to play on a square or octo gate. consider he has low-medium level execution

Aaron

I will pay cash money for an ipad version. The virtual d-pad just doesn't work at 2x.

Tobe1 said:
hi, so a friend of mine who is still in the gaf queue wanted to ask you guys is it better to play on a square or octo gate. consider he has low-medium level execution
Square gate is best for charge characters, octo is better for fireball motions.

Tobe

he mainly uses jlf with square gate, he was pretty good with charge characters but im telling him that is all about getting used to something. i personally use square, if it is not broken then dont fix it. so what is the consensus here, you agree on nerfing k and raiden or just buff everybody else?

Aaron said:
I will pay cash money for an ipad version. The virtual d-pad just doesn't work at 2x.

Square gate is best for charge characters, octo is better for fireball motions.

Happ is still superior for fireball moves and anything requiring 360 motions. Or if you want to beat a stick by playing Marvel then you need HAPP.

Tobe1 said:
he mainly uses jlf with square gate, he was pretty good with charge characters but im telling him that is all about getting used to something. i personally use square, if it is not broken then dont fix it. so what is the consensus here, you agree on nerfing k and raiden or just buff everybody else?

I'd nerf Raiden, K' and Elizabeth along with Kula just to piss off the world. I'd make it so Raiden's Drop kicks either take double the time to charge, or lower their damage output. I'd make it so Beth can't do her DM after basically any move, and I'd make K' a bit less ambiguous with his crossups and add frames to make everything more unsafe.

Just to add more cake on the game, I'd buff Terry by making him faster and more powerful. Hell, I'd make Chin even quicker and return his jug of fun. And his lying down stance.

Dandy J

the top tiers arent that far and away so i dont think nerfs are 100% necessary but i wouldnt mind k' and raiden getting touched a tiny bit. so mostly just buffs to lower tiers would be a lot better. mai's fireball should have better recovery and her flame needs to be way meatier at least. clark needs damage...

i think an even better idea would be system changes...a lot of which actually affect how good the good characters are and how bad the bad characters are.

one is to change the pushboxes in the middle of the sprites so crossups arent as ridiculous; thats what leads to a lot of the really strange and ambiguous setups like crossing up, then landing on either side depending on how the crossup was timed. or just blatantly pure ambiguous ones like kyo's d+c.

another good system change would be to alter the command interpreter so that accidental inputs dont happen as easily. the inputs make it prohibitively difficult to dash into a hcf move without getting a dp, such as dashing into athena's command throws. athena never had the problem in any other game where she both had a command throw and a dp.

they could also make it so that gc roll doesnt clear/interrupt the buffer. in past games, if someone did a gc roll, you have time to react to it and stop whatever you were doing, but you could continue and cancel into whatever move and get punished for it. in 13, the gc roll freeze basically shuts off your inputs, so theres basically no risk in doing certain strings. k' would be a lot more manageable if you could gc a move that he cancels into flame and punish it. instead, when you gc roll it cancels out the special move input so it never comes out and he is always safe.

Tobe

Dandy J said:
the top tiers arent that far and away so i dont think nerfs are 100% necessary but i wouldnt mind k' and raiden getting touched a tiny bit. so mostly just buffs to lower tiers would be a lot better. mai's fireball should have better recovery and her flame needs to be way meatier at least. clark needs damage...

i think an even better idea would be system changes...a lot of which actually affect how good the good characters are and how bad the bad characters are.

one is to change the pushboxes in the middle of the sprites so crossups arent as ridiculous; thats what leads to a lot of the really strange and ambiguous setups like crossing up, then landing on either side depending on how the crossup was timed. or just blatantly pure ambiguous ones like kyo's d+c.

another good system change would be to alter the command interpreter so that accidental inputs dont happen as easily
. the inputs make it prohibitively difficult to dash into a hcf move without getting a dp, such as dashing into athena's command throws. athena never had the problem in any other game where she both had a command throw and a dp.

they could also make it so that gc roll doesnt clear/interrupt the buffer. in past games, if someone did a gc roll, you have time to react to it and stop whatever you were doing, but you could continue and cancel into whatever move and get punished for it. in 13, the gc roll freeze basically shuts off your inputs, so theres basically no risk in doing certain strings. k' would be a lot more manageable if you could gc a move that he cancels into flame and punish it. instead, when you gc roll it cancels out the special move input so it never comes out and he is always safe.

i agree for the most part on the bold parts the boxes in this game are kind of silly unless you have like a ton of exp to know where you are going to land, it can mess you up pretty badly.

on the characters mostly buffs maybe touch a bit of raiden so that drop kick is like super unsafe and that you have to hold b+d so you can get 1 kick, basically your gonna do a lot of damage, but its not gonna be that easy to get 90%

rvy

Banned
Went to a local bar yesterday and found an old machine with '97 on it... had the time of my life. Even played with some friends, but they're newbs.

DAT KYO
DAT IORI
DAT RYO

Athena looked great btw, lol. None of that chubby McFat business.

Happ is still superior for fireball moves and anything requiring 360 motions. Or if you want to beat a stick by playing Marvel then you need HAPP.
Controller preference is up tho the user man.

And HAPP nowadays is shit. iL is better.

Top Bottom