• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

SolarKnight said:
Why Betty too? Last I checked she was just A, you might as well nerf Kyo and the rest of the A tier :T

Anyways, thanks for the link haunts, I missed the stream so I‘ll be sure to check it.
betty is much more cheaper than kyo. I think kyo requires a little more skill to setup the crossup down c's for example.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
SAB CA said:
Thanks for the Info update, o Bacon of Hope! Lookin forward to seeing how much you and your local crew improve; it's been great watching the "Alex Arcade" group grow in their ways, from the old AI tourneys. Stiff competetion awaits!

I think it's funny that I wanna imagine "Alex Arcade" as "AI-EX". I blade SF for that, but it IS kinda fitting...

I doubt I'll do much better but I am going to try to find some time in between EVO planning to get a few games in for practice. ;)

BadWolf

SolarKnight said:
Cheaper how though?

- Anywhere juggle super
- Strong combos that require little meter
- She can land said strong combos off of a command grab and counter move
- Builds meter well

Don‘t need to, Betty is popular here, and yes, she is really strong no doubt about that (not K or Raiden strong though I think), I just find fighting Kyo worse.

It could just be the salt of being juggled with as many air Orochinagis as Kyo has meter for in a single combo too often while I can‘t get anything more than two dps into super to work with her speaking though, I‘ll admit that >_>

I'm not saying Kyo isn't a cheapass, either. It's just that there are some characters that are on a whole 'nother level that makes you wonder if SNKP did that intentionally. Doesn't seem likely that they will be nerfed, though. At least there's the brand new story mode to feast on!

Raiden HAD to be on purpose, otherwise he wouldn‘t be used as much. That would bring the question of why Hwa didn‘t get that treatment though.

RSLYG

SNK should just kill her storywise so she only appear on dream match or just completely dump her, yawn, I don't mind at all.
Even that sumo girl (forgot her name) is more interesting character to play.
Long live BAO!

...run

Dandy J

CadetMahoney said:
betty is much more cheaper than kyo. I think kyo requires a little more skill to setup the crossup down c's for example.
lol liz isnt cheap at all compared to kyo. juggle into super is w/e, baby damage. she has high damage combos but they require some skills and she doesnt have the mixup game to land them often like kyo does. kyo gets knockdowns off EVERYTHING that sets up for completely unseeable 50/50 with j.d+C, and overhead into hd combo. liz j.B doesnt even come close to his j.d+C, and she has to spend meter to combo from her command throw. she is good but kyo is way easier and better. i dont even know why people even complain about elizabeth, there are way scarier characters than her.

RSLYG said:
SNK should just kill her storywise so she only appear on dream match or just completely dump her, yawn, I don't mind at all.
Even that sumo girl (forgot her name) is more interesting character to play.
Long live BAO!

...run

Trash, betty is so much fun to play .
She is one of the best chars SNK ever made.

Dandy J said:
lol liz isnt cheap at all compared to kyo. juggle into super is w/e, baby damage. she has high damage combos but they require some skills and she doesnt have the mixup game to land them often like kyo does. kyo gets knockdowns off EVERYTHING that sets up for completely unseeable 50/50 with j.d+C, and overhead into hd combo. liz j.B doesnt even come close to his j.d+C, and she has to spend meter to combo from her command throw. she is good but kyo is way easier and better. i dont even know why people even complain about elizabeth, there are way scarier characters than her.

This , chars like Iori , Kula , Kyo have way better mix ups than her.
They also do allot of damage .

zlatko

Banned
I'm feeling Terry a lot in this game. So far that's the one character I know I want on my team no matter what. Everyone else I keep messing around with and trying to learn some combos, but no one just clicks like Terry did right away. Joe is most likely going to be my front man after I spend more time with him, but the third is a total toss up at this point.

Characters I may put on the team:
K', Kyo, Hwa, Robert, and Shen.

I would've already picked Shen, but I'm jut unsure how to get anything done with him. Getting his offense started seems almost impossible, and his ability to apply pressure just isn't there.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tizoc said:
Nice Mai combos, hope she doesn't lose the ability to combo into her air throw if KoF XIII gets an update.

No reason she should. Everyone with Airthrows can do this, with varying degrees of success (Yuri's Demonflip Airthrow being the easier.) They seem to have the "anywhere juggle" property... yet seem to require some skilled timing (loads of Clark players seem to miss the throw after Gattling attack corner loops...)

So Beni, Yuri, Clark, and Mai can all bring the opponent down after juggles in this way. I wish they'd give Leona her air throw back, for hopes of comboing into it, and catching the falling opponent with a V Slasher! (Would say that'd never happen... but I never thought I'd see her able to combo into her command normal from weak attacks, either...)

zlatko said:
I would've already picked Shen, but I'm jut unsure how to get anything done with him. Getting his offense started seems almost impossible, and his ability to apply pressure just isn't there.

I felt like that with my limited Iori play in XII. Best minor things I can suggest for a start, is that he can open people up with his command throw, and EX command throws. Mix those up with loads of crouch B pressure, and the occasional hop C after you've trained to to block everything low. Remember that he can land HD combos off 2 Crouch B -> Stand B ->HD, so this makes his expecially dangerous.

He doesn't really have a crossup, so you've gotta scare people into letting you in. Do you use SHEN WOO PUNCH cancels? Forcing them into the guessing game of Cancel / Full Charge (which nets guardcrush on block, crumple on hit) / Early punch release on wakeup, after a sweep, seems to be a great way to get them to play by your match flow.

Also, dash in, and doing that near-instant close C of his. Mix that with dash in down B for frametraps. If it lands, go into command normal -> command throw for most meterless damage at midscreen. I believe he can also link point-blank d.B into d.C in this game.

Remember his far C has autoguard on it's startup, as well. You can absorb the fireballs people throw and run after, and hit them with the C as it completes it's animation. Or use it to eat jump-ins.

Weak SWP at max distance is mostly safe, so it's a good pressure tool. Between that, and SWP cancels (Which build meter!!) It should really help you have the meter for those EX throw -> EX Uppercut combos.

Oh yeah, and don't forget that overhead move of his (the qcb+button, qcf+button one). Fairly far reaching for an overhead, it's good to catch people by suprise, and I believe you can super cancel out of it as well, for solid damage.

And don't forget that his Power Up DM is a great way to tag an extra hit off of juggles, and to counter people who are pressuring you too much.

Grokbu

Toge said:
I'm looking to import this from north america to the UK... I've been advised VG+ is good?
Kind of a late reply. But I definitely recommend them, and they're my goto store for NA import.
Since I'm from Sweden, there's a risk of the orders getting stuck in customs. But I've only had that happen once from VG+, and that's when I ordered my 3DS and it was shipped via DHL (which, I believe, is only used when there are big/expensive orders).

SAB CA said:
DDTCombo Presents: Mai Shiranui, Queen of Shiranui-ryuu Ninjitsu!
Yay, finally! Can't wait to play her. She looks as fun as always.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
KoF XIII getting special Panel at EVO 2011, Featuring Atlus and SNKP reps.
Also, KoF XIII to show up at Otakon!

Both events are mentioned in this press release: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1182262p1.html

Now, if only I can figure out a way to suddenly spend a couple hundread un-planned dollars in the next 2 weeks... hm. :lol: A 5 hour drive is closer than most other chances I've been presented with for KoF XIII! (-_-;)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SAB CA said:

Both events are mentioned in this press release: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1182262p1.html

Now, if only I can figure out a way to suddenly spend a couple hundread un-planned dollars in the next 2 weeks... hm. :lol: A 5 hour drive is closer than most other chances I've been presented with for KoF XIII! (-_-;)
Looks like Atlus is actually gonna promote the game.
KOF Of The Forever!!

Oh and if someone attends the panel make me proud and ask them about the NO FILTER OPTION PLZ!

Skilletor

Fersis said:
Looks like Atlus is actually gonna promote the game.
KOF Of The Forever!!

Oh and if someone attends the panel make me proud and ask them about the NO FILTER OPTION PLZ!

For you, I will do this thing. :p

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
haunts said:
how do you do HD combos

Alot easier than in 2k2(UM), lol.

Normally, it's:

Strong Normal Hit -> (Command normal if you have one) -> Press Weak Kick + Strong punch together (B and C buttons, hence why they were called BC combos in 2k2) -> repeat the 2 normals -> [do a special move, and then do another special move instantly (it'll cancel the recovery of the first special.)] <- Repeat this part until you're satisfied, lol. Normally, before the mode ends, you want to finish your string with a knockdown, DM, SDM, or Neomax.

The nice thing about HD mode in this game: It has an automatic dash towards opponent after activation, which makes it easy to get back in from the cancel. This dash happens if you don't input anything else while canceling; so pushing another punch or something would stop the dash earlier.

There are lots of tricks for HD mode; You can activate it while doing specials (though this is rarely used, it's a rough trick), activate in air, and use it to make guard-break strings. It's also unique in that it's activation makes moves that are not normally cancellable, cancellable (such as Kim's Neri Chagi overhead.)

Also note that there is no speciak command for drive cancels (so no FADC stuff). It's just doing a special... then doing another at the right time. the timing can be picky, but it seems to be much more lenient in this game, than in most others. This, of course, can vary by character.

That's the gist of it, hope that helps some, haunts!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
OK so you activate it off of a normal and not a special, but it allows you to cancel specials into other specials?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
haunts said:
OK so you activate it off of a normal and not a special, but it allows you to cancel specials into other specials?

Yup. It basically gives you infinite "Drive Cancels" for a limited time.

You can KINDA activate it off specials, too, but it's tricky. For example, Leona could activate it off EX Moon Slasher (charge d, u+AC), by doing (charge d, u+ABC). This is probably beyond the scope of what you want to do NOW, but it's good to keep in the back of your head.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
ok so drive cancel you can use meter to cancel a special into another special (how?) but the HD allows you to just go buckwild until the meter above super meter drains right

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
haunts said:
how do you do HD combos
You activate HDC mode by pressing B+C at the same time with a full Drive Cancel bar.
HDC activation also cancels normal attacks.

Skilletor said:
Thanks man.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
haunts said:
ok so drive cancel you can use meter to cancel a special into another special (how?) but the HD allows you to just go buckwild until the meter above super meter drains right

Correct. Drive Cancels are used the same outside of HD mode, as they are in it: do the command for one special, while the other special is still active. This takes 50% of the Drive gauge.

So lets say you want to cancel a DP into a Fireball, do the DP motion, and while you're still on the ground from the DP, just do the fireball motion. It'll cancel the rising DP frames into the fireball throw, much like a FADC.

Grokbu

One thing to note, though. While in HD-mode, each drive cancel drains a bit of drive meter, so watch out for that.
Or am I understanding it wrong and am making a fool out of myself? :<

Grokbu said:
One thing to note, though. While in HD-mode, each drive cancel drains a bit of drive meter, so watch out for that.
Or am I understanding it wrong and am making a fool out of myself? :<

You are right and some moves drain more than others .

haunts said:
ok thanks guys. going to practice tomm, couldnt do HD combos for the life of me yesterday

Best of luck with that. By the way, with the recent news of the different panels coming out, is there any chance of them showing up on the stream, or at least recorded?

zlatko

Banned
Skilletor said:

It's probably going to get asked there and brought up almost right away about the online net code and GGPO. If you get a chance, or hire someone next to you to ask them this:

"When it came to Capcom and the SF4 series and MvC3, they said GGPO is too hard to just drop into their games because of the use of 3D models and backgrounds. KoF13 however, uses 2D, so it's safe to assume that putting in GGPO should be a lot easier, especially when you take into account a small development team like the guys behind SkullGirls are able to put it into their game. Can we expect GGPO for KoF 13? "

And if they tell you no, then BOO THIS MAN!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Phoenixazure said:
Best of luck with that. By the way, with the recent news of the different panels coming out, is there any chance of them showing up on the stream, or at least recorded?

No idea. It's not something I'm responsible for. The Cannons mentioned on LO3 that they are working on a way to get the panels out in some shape or form though so who knows.

TreIII

Hmmph. They WOULD announce this now, when basically I was set to skip Otakon this year. :lol

Ah well, got til tomorrow night to decide if I can be bothered or not...

Tizoc

RSLYG said:
That is the dumbest shit I've read, you don't have to kill her to not use her anymore.

SAB CA said:
Heh an anime convention, guess they couldn't make it to SDCC?

BadWolf

Dunno if it has been mentioned but iirc you can only drive cancel after a successful hit, if a special is blocked then you can't drive cancel it. So no DP and then drive cancel into a safe move or whatever, ala SF4's DP FADC.

Also, going into HD after an overhead is really useful as well (like with Iori, Ryo etc.)

BadWolf said:
Dunno if it has been mentioned but iirc you can only drive cancel after a successful hit, if a special is blocked then you can't drive cancel it. So no DP and then drive cancel into a safe move or whatever, ala SF4's DP FADC.

Also, going into HD after an overhead is really useful as well (like with Iori, Ryo etc.)

Yeah you can't cancel unless you hit the person .

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
European KoF fans! It appears Amazon.fr is leaking the publisher to KoF XIII in Europe this time!

Amazon Listing: KoF XIII, Published by Rising Star, on Oct. 15th, 2011:
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B005CNUYZQ/

It's not "official" yet, but most of these things seem to be turning out true.

Tizoc said:
This reminds me: Can you do guard damage to an opponent when HD/CC is activated?

As in trying to guard crush them? Yup.
As in causing chip damage? I believe so, too.

There are some guard-crush tactics people use with HD combos, so that much is definite. I don't know if I've seen many people die from chip damage due to HD combos, however, so there might be a little difference there.

Tizoc

^Excellent, I ask because in CvSNK2, A-Groove can be used to cause a guard crush. This could be useful to get som CvSNK2 players into the game ;3

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but HD mode is pretty much just 2k2's max mode but with autodash, anything you could do then with it you can do it now. Well, except MAX cancel.

Top Bottom