• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SolarKnight said:
Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but HD mode is pretty much just 2k2's max mode but with autodash, anything you could do then with it you can do it now. Well, except MAX cancel.

Yeah, seems mostly that way. Just the activation cost and ease-of-use seem a bit different. I've heard that many cancels seem easier, and also, this HD mode doesn't make direction charging instant, like the 2K2 series one does.

Their some other differences, but those seem dependent on overal system stuff (like certain command normals being able to cancel specials for characters like Ash and Duo Lon.) Most of those changes seem to make it easier to get into, and more intuitive.

Galdelico

General Shank-a-snatch said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why not?

I mean, if you're worried it can be October 2110, instead of 2011, I agree with you... Other than that, I find RSG european releases pretty much perfect, in terms of value (contents and presentation).

Galdelico said:
Why not?

I mean, if you're worried it can be October 2110, instead of 2011, I agree with you... Other than that, I find RSG european releases pretty much perfect, in terms of value (contents and presentation).

They did a terrible job with Half Minute Hero in NL, I've only seen it in ONE store. ONE. Not exaggerating.

Galdelico

They did a terrible job with Half Minute Hero in NL, I've only seen it in ONE store. ONE. Not exaggerating.
Oh yeah, that's true... It's been quite a pain in the ass to find Deathsmiles as well.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
why is this game so much fun ooomg...

cant wait to go play it again.. was playing CVS2 kgrooe just to hold me over. lol

OH WAIT I have that other kof game on my xbox i should play that instead. omg

haunts

Bacon of Hope
anyone else feel like its the "perfect storm" for KOF to really pop off big? With so many players disgusted with a lot of the current FGs and it being a true 2D game... I dunno.. I hope its the case... but i think it really depends on the netcode is good or not..

haunts said:
anyone else feel like its the "perfect sorm" for KOF to really pop off big? With so many players disgusted with a lot of the current FGs and it being a true 2D game... I dunno.. I hope its the case... but i think it really depends on the netcode is good or not..
KOF never really took off in the states. I'm sure 13 will be huge in asia an latin america f it isn't already though.

As someone living in Latin America, I think I can safely say no KoF after 2k2 will ever be really big again though.

Why? First there's price for "arcade operators", why buy a new KoF when you can get a MAME cab with hundreds of games for much cheaper? Also, believe it or not some players don't even have 360s/PS3 with which to play the game and arcade is their only choice, and they can't play something nobody has.
Second, most people are too obssessed with 2k2 and don't give a damn about other KoFs =/
And third, that stupid piece of fucking crap that I hope burns in hell called KoF 2k2 Magic/Super/Ultra Plus spoiled pretty much everyone except the most hardcore. KoF is EASILY the most casually played FG here, but it came at the horrible price of it being THAT version that most people play and if you even do as much as change it to even the normal 2k2 no one will play with you because they can't play without their precious infinite stocks or broken playable bosses =/

It's a really sad situation =(

haunts said:
anyone else feel like its the "perfect storm" for KOF to really pop off big? With so many players disgusted with a lot of the current FGs and it being a true 2D game... I dunno.. I hope its the case... but i think it really depends on the netcode is good or not..

It's like the first half of the year with MK, MVC3 and AE all represent the new school and the second with Third Strike Online and this represent the old.

I hope we see some IPW and Spooky streams when the game is out!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
robut said:
It's like the first half of the year with MK, MVC3 and AE all represent the new school and the second with Third Strike Online and this represent the old.

I hope we see some IPW and Spooky streams when the game is out!

we are streaming it every other week on sundays. socal is coming up next week to play.

SolarKnight said:
As someone living in Latin America, I think I can safely say no KoF after 2k2 will ever be really big again though.

Why? First there's price for "arcade operators", why buy a new KoF when you can get a MAME cab with hundreds of games for much cheaper? Also, believe it or not some players don't even have 360s/PS3 with which to play the game and arcade is their only choice, and they can't play something nobody has.
Second, most people are too obssessed with 2k2 and don't give a damn about other KoFs =/
And third, that stupid piece of fucking crap that I hope burns in hell called KoF 2k2 Magic/Super/Ultra Plus spoiled pretty much everyone except the most hardcore. KoF is EASILY the most casually played FG here, but it came at the horrible price of it being THAT version that most people play and if you even do as much as change it to even the normal 2k2 no one will play with you because they can't play without their precious infinite stocks or broken playable bosses =/

It's a really sad situation =(

are you referring to 2k2 UM?

haunts said:
we are streaming it every other week on sundays. socal is coming up next week to play.

are you referring to 2k2 UM?
There is a hacked version of OG 02, I think that is what he is referring to, what with the infinite stocks and stuff.

-Recovery stock (ALMOST same thing as infinite but it's not)
-Playable Rugal

Depending on version of hack
-Command shortcuts
-Press CD to change character
-Health required for HSDMs increased, depending on version it can be either 50% or even full health.
-Pseudo Orochi Iori that is fast as fuck.

I guess. There's honestly nothing wrong with the hacks themselves, since its just for fun. The problem is the "insignificant" fact that it became the only thing most people play =/

Like, SF2 Rainbow or Koryu or whatever it was is seen as just something fun for most people, right? But now imagine if one day, it had suddenly replaced Super Turbo, the Alphas, and the 3s at all arcades and became your only option for playing SF with anyone.

Grokbu

Yeah, I understand. Must suck. :/

Btw. I didn't see it mentioned, but details were given regarding the XIII side tournament at EVO at Dreamcancel: http://dreamcancel.com/?p=1502

As EVO is a console tournament and KOFXIII is not out on console yet, THE ANSWER, Kane317 and Giby have put together a side tournament. Atlus is helping out by contributing prizes and the tournament is sponsored by snk-capcom.com, orochinagi.com and dreamcancel.com. Here are the details:

When: Saturday June, 30 2011.
Time: Sign up starts as soon as the venue opens until 1:OO PM, the tournament starts sharply at 2:00 PM.
Fee: There will be a $10 registration fee which will go to the prize pot.
Format: 2/3 matches, double elimination. Grand finals will be 3/5 matches.
Rules: All characters are allowed, winner keeps same characters but can change the starting order.
System: We will be using 2 Taito Type X2 boards with Jamma adaptors.
International players: We have confirmed Kunio aka No.17 from Japan, El Rosa From Mexico. A European player is scheduled to come however details are still pending.
Staff: Giby, Kane317 and THE ANSWER.
Prizes: We will be splitting the pot among top 6, plus we are raising a bonus pot which at the moment is around $700. The bonus pot will also be split among top 6.
More Prizes: If you don’t make top 6 you still have a chance to walk away with a prize, Atlus has given us the following gifts for the tournament:

1 Mai Shiranui figure, valued at $340.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003OIBDHE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

1 sketch signed by the illustrator. (No Reference)

3 KOF XIII Arcade posters
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/de...sh/ed/75/ed757a134582e493353f84768c0ed954.jpg

We are going to raffle this prizes for those who don’t make top 6, all you gotta do is sign up for the tournament.

This event is possible thanks to the effort from snk-capcom.com, orochinagi.com and dreamcancel.com. We would also like to thank SNKPlaymore for their support and a very special thank you to the ATLUS USA Staff for everything they are doing with KOF XIII.

Any questions please feel free to contact me or any of the staff members.

alstein

haunts said:

I think it's going to depend on if there's a rebalance, and the quality of the netcode. I can easily see Raiden turning people off of KOF as he is now. K' may be better, but he won't turn people off. People will tolerate Yun all day, but Raiden will be too much, which is a double standard.

I think it's possible, but SNK is going to have to play every card right for it to happen- the deck is always massively stacked against non-Capcom games.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
SolarKnight said:
I guess. There's honestly nothing wrong with the hacks themselves, since its just for fun. The problem is the "insignificant" fact that it became the only thing most people play =/

Like, SF2 Rainbow or Koryu or whatever it was is seen as just something fun for most people, right? But now imagine if one day, it had suddenly replaced Super Turbo, the Alphas, and the 3s at all arcades and became your only option for playing SF with anyone.

wow thats insane

The comments on the most recent XIII news story on joystiq are upsetting. People are trying to justify downloading the rom dump because "this type of game is better suited to a $20 live arcade experience". Disgusting.

patrickthehedgehog said:
The comments on the most recent XIII news story on joystiq are upsetting. People are trying to justify downloading the rom dump because "this type of game is better suited to a $20 live arcade experience". Disgusting.

There is not much they can do about that ,they will always be people that want stuff for free or say some crap to support there case .
All we can hope for is that KOFXIII has really good net code and the extra stuff that would make people buy the game even if they d\l rom dump.
If i remember right it's already coming out cheaper @40 dollars .
Truth is i wish they put it up for d\l it would means they would be getting most of my money .
In fact all fighting game should be up for d\l .

zlatko

Banned
The more I play this game the more I think it may very well be my favorite fighting game ever. Only time will tell, but it's so much fun.

I don't mess around much with charge characters in SF, but I recently put in a few hours with Ash and he's cool as hell mechanics wise. The charge times are shorter here in KoF13 right? It feels like he isn't being forced to play lame or defensive, but it just exists as a solid option or way to start up a cool offense.

Anyone have a link to some pro level Ash play? I wonder if people play him lame at higher level or if I'm right that he can go in on people if he wants.

zlatko said:
The more I play this game the more I think it may very well be my favorite fighting game ever. Only time will tell, but it's so much fun.

I don't mess around much with charge characters in SF, but I recently put in a few hours with Ash and he's cool as hell mechanics wise. The charge times are shorter here in KoF13 right? It feels like he isn't being forced to play lame or defensive, but it just exists as a solid option or way to start up a cool offense.

Anyone have a link to some pro level Ash play? I wonder if people play him lame at higher level or if I'm right that he can go in on people if he wants.

Yes charge time is shorter in a KOF game , you can also running charge which is awesome love doing that with kim.
Most of the Ash players i meet play in both ways depending on the char they are fighting but he a good char.

Another reason why raiden should be nerf in case people forget
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p-Z8F3_ds0

N4Us

Spent all this time trying to figure out how to do Benimaru's spinning kick only to find out he doesn't have it in 13.... pffffft

N4Us said:
Spent all this time trying to figure out how to do Benimaru's spinning kick only to find out he doesn't have it in 13.... pffffft

He doesn't? Oh wait...I haven't even watched alot of matches or combos vids with him now that I think about it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Here in Argentina is easier to find the hacked rom versions (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon,Plus,etc,etc) that the originals.

I truly believe that if KOFXIII has good netcode its going to do real fine.
Hell if the netcode is good im gonna buy a new pc with a capture card and start streaming stuff.

Now that i have a job my life plans are:
- Rent an appartment
- Get KOFXIII
- Make a small website for the latin american FG Community
- Get a couple of regulars and start doing ranbats.
- Stream stuff

Give me good netcode SNKP!!!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Urban Scholar said:
He doesn't? Oh wait...I haven't even watched alot of matches or combos vids with him now that I think about it.

He has the spin dive from the air, but yeah, no Shinkuu Katete Koma.

This Video does a pretty good job of showing how his moves flow well in this game:
Beni Vid by DDTC

He didn't use the divekick, air Raijinken, his EX DM, or his air throw there, so take not of those too.

Fersis said:
I truly believe that if KOFXIII has good netcode its going to do real fine.
Hell if the netcode is good im gonna buy a new pc with a capture card and start streaming stuff.

Give me good netcode SNKP!!!

That'd be cool to see, lets hope everything works out! I really think they CAN do it, I still play 2k2UM on XBLA, and am suprised how good some of my connections are.

patrickthehedgehog said:

Joystiq is trash and the commenters are even bigger trash. If you want to keep your sanity, don't visit them. :/

Joystiq is trash and the commenters are even bigger trash. If you want to keep your sanity, don't visit them. :/

Is it? I find the website way less offensive than Kotaku. I sometimes visit Siliconera for more Japanese game coverage, but I haven't found much else I can tolerate. Any recommendations? (dont say GAF)

patrickthehedgehog said:
Is it? I find the website way less offensive than Kotaku. I sometimes visit Siliconera for more Japanese game coverage, but I haven't found much else I can tolerate. Any recommendations? (dont say GAF)

Like Haunts said (I still don't know the difference between him and Haunted :/??), adriasang is good if you like your news without bullcrap attached, unlike with Joystiq, Kotaku and other sites that don't deserve a mention.

But really, I stopped going to those blogs when I discovered GAF. :)

Shinriji

Serialxp said:
One question, what version GAFs will buy, PS3 or XBox?
PS3. I loved the clan matches. Also I loved the online mode (minus the netcode, of course). Clan matches, spectator mode, chat room inside the lobby, full xmb for sending invites ( the only game that I seen that do it) etc.

LegatoB

zlatko said:
So I read over on shoryuken.com that there will be CONSOLE exclusive characters? Guess SNK hasn't learned on how to NOT fuck up a game right from the get go.

If they think this will entice people to buy 2 copies of the game they are drunk out of their damn mind. There will be like 14 people who do that tops, and all it does is help make certain characters bannable for pro KoF13 events, and therefore make their inclusion damn near worthless.

Please, let this rumor not be true or I hope Atlus steps in to slap some sense into them.
I'm pretty sure you're misinterpreting a comment about Billy and (probably) '98 Iori.

Grokbu

SAB CA said:
&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Lookit, he finally got around to making a "gameplay systems" tutorial.

DDTC Presents: The Highs and Lows of Hyperdrive Mode! (HD)

And also:
DDTC Presents: Andy Combo Tutorial, Part 2! (HD)

See kids! If you're willing to spend loads of meter, just about anyone in this game can kill you from almost ANYTHING! :lol:
Nice videos, thanks for linking.

I really can't wait to play my team of Andy/Mai/Maxima. All of them seem so fun in XIII!
Well. Most characters do tbh...

alstein

Tizoc said:
Mai seems pretty...eh to me. Only thing that works for me about her is her air grab combos.

I gotta agree. They could have done better with Mai. Given her Kagero no Mai at least. Part of me really feels the engine restricts what you can give characters- one reason why certain chars seem to be missing moves (such as Vice- who could really use her 98UM DM's)

Top Bottom