• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

FHIZ

Well its not like SNK has money to publish itself. After King of Floppage XII, it will be hard to sell XIII to anyone other than smaller publishers like Ignition, XSeed, etc. Hell, its hard to sell it to me now. They can add all they want, I'm still not convinced on buying XIII for $60 like I did XII.

I was just looking at this pic
c20100325_kof13b_26_cs1w1_640x360.jpg
when something occurred to me:

Apparently we are only getting 6 more people (with rumors looking like Hwa Jai, Vice, Takuma and another team either new or returning). I would love to have a brand new team of Those From The Past members or some people associated with Liz/Ash to further that storyline along, however I still think it is important to have people like the Agents and K' team involved story wise.

So it dawned on me, do you all think we might have some people be in the game story only like say the Agents don't make it in, but they are still active in the plot?
Yes, I actually care about more than just the gameplay in KoF games, lol.

tzare

FHIZ said:
Well its not like SNK has money to publish itself. After King of Floppage XII, it will be hard to sell XIII to anyone other than smaller publishers like Ignition, XSeed, etc. Hell, its hard to sell it to me now. They can add all they want, I'm still not convinced on buying XIII for $60 like I did XII.

SNk should start making easy things:
publish KOFXIII as a DWL title on PS3/360 as well as a retail game.
Start publishing its classic neogeo games for both XBLA and PSN online enabled (same netcode would suit most games with minor adjustments). That would be almost free money. But i do not understand why they do not do that.

pd. i must buy samurai spirits sen , i think it is released soon in europe, despite bad feedback :D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Though I don't blame Ignition for the poor sales of KoFXII, I would be absolutely delighted to have Atlus handling the localization/publishing. They can pretty much do no wrong and would make a super sweet deluxe edition. Believe.

TreIII

Well, like what I'm seeing, thus far.

Hopefully, this one will be the one. While I doubt the producer's words of this being the "last" KOF, they really need to do the damn thing this time around.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Swittcher said:
Ignition didn't exactly handle KOF with the most the panache, care, or money it deserved when it came to promotion/marketing.

I think it was SNK that dropped the ball on this. IRRC, Ignition was doing a pretty good job hyping the release. But they pretty much got screwed over in regards to the online patches. Especially on the 360 side of things. I think they just gave up because the game was pretty much DOA in the US.

Not to mention that the reception to XII in arcades was pretty much...meh

henhowc said:
Not to mention that the reception to XII in arcades was pretty much...meh

In Japan XII is practically extinct. You can't find it anywhere. Everyone there just plays 2k2um as the KOF of choice. I'd be surprised if arcades are bothered risking being burnt again with XIII.

TreIII

CadetMahoney said:
In Japan XII is practically extinct. You can't find it anywhere. Everyone there just plays 2k2um as the KOF of choice. I'd be surprised if arcades are bothered risking being burnt again with XIII.

With XIII confirmed to be in the next Tougeki tournament, they really don't have much choice. You, as an arcade owner, will want to have a new game that's going to be a part of one of Japan's renowned tournaments, in order to get the patronage of players.

So far, at least it seems SNK are trying to make good amends with this nice set-up. It still will be on them to knock the pins down, though, and this time needs to be a strike.

AdawgDaFAB said:
I was just looking at this pic
c20100325_kof13b_26_cs1w1_640x360.jpg
when something occurred to me:

Apparently we are only getting 6 more people (with rumors looking like Hwa Jai, Vice, Takuma and another team either new or returning). I would love to have a brand new team of Those From The Past members or some people associated with Liz/Ash to further that storyline along, however I still think it is important to have people like the Agents and K' team involved story wise.

So it dawned on me, do you all think we might have some people be in the game story only like say the Agents don't make it in, but they are still active in the plot?

While that's possible as SvC kinda did it (Poison, Ciel, and God) Will they go the extra mile and get voice acting like BB's story cutscenes, or will it be text only like SvC? I'm kinda leaning toward the latter mostly because it sounds like they're tight as it is, and the voice of Raiden, Daisuke Gouri, recently passed away and they're still using his voice.

Yeah I'm excited for the return of story elements

zlatko

Banned
My final list of hopes in order of importance in order for this to be amazing:

1) Near perfect net code. Let's not kid ourselves here...they can add all the characters in the world that we love, but if we can't bring the fight online effectively then the game will gather dust quickly.

2) Release window on an emptier month. This is less for me, but more so this ISN'T the last KoF title like the producer said. I'd go nuts if KoF went on a hiatus.

3) An online mode where you and 2 other buddies can fight 3 other players. Each person takes up a slot for the 3 man team. I wanted this SO BAD for KoF12. It'd make the online community insanely fun when you are the last person on the team and manage to beat all 3 of their opponents in a row due to mad skills.(I'd never have this happen, but hey one can dream to be pro :lol )

I know most of you want more characters, more story/offline mode things, stages would also be nice, etc but these 3 things would send the game to the top of the most played fighter charts when it hits. At least in my house it would. :D

Frankfurt

Banned
ThatCrazyGuy said:
SNK canceled 3 projects after XII? What were those? Fighting games? Cell phone games?

King of Fighters Maximum Impact 3, King of Fighters Maximum Impact Regulation A2 and some really weird DS RPG that i don't even know what it was called because i don't have a DS.

All three had logos, announcements, and in the case of the DS game, artwork out and everything. They got rid of Falcoon (which still pisses me off, as he did exactly what he was asked to do - make a casual game with lots and lots of extras) and cancelled everything. Falcoon is now with Namco.

GuardianE said:
To be fair, SNK didn't exactly handle KOFXII with the most panache, care, or money it deserved when it came to development.

Panache i agree, care... debateable, but money? It was not only their most expensive game ever, but also the most expensive 2D fighter ever.

The issue was not lack of trying, they redid the sprites form scratch, hired outside sprite artists to speed up the process, and developed the game for one year more than it was planned. It simply came to a point where bleeding money was no longer an option. If they had waited until now to release XII at this stage, it would've been two years of losing money instead of one. All the money they made from MI1 and SVC probably went poof by year 3.

AdawgDaFAB said:

K' has an arc to close, Kensou and Ron too. Lin, Duo and Ron. There are more characters than free slots, so yeah. Some stuff should be in cutscene only.

-PXG- said:
I thought the models were upscaled from 480p. At least that is what I remember reading here a while ago. If that is true, imagine how good they would look in native 720p/1080p :)

EDIT

Are you talking about their size or their resolution?

My bad, I was just talking about the size appearence of the characters. In the last installment, the camera zoom feature made them appear huge.

Well i really hope they make it big or at least good so they can make more, i would hate for KOF to go dead. So far things are looking good but many got burn with XII .

But if KOF XIII fail you well say snk is dead.
What they should do is bring out all there old games on PSN\XBL.
I would love to have 98um and 2002um for ps3 on my HDD. Easy money.

Ferrio said:
Is the character list final yet?

Curious if
<-----
Is making it in.

Vice is more than likely joining with Iori and Mature, Takuma with Ryo and Robert, and Billy Kane or Hwa Jai with Kim and Raiden. There's one whole team left but I guess it's not been stated yet whether they'll be all new or not.

Ferrio said:
Is the character list final yet?

Curious if
<-----
Is making it in.

You know, I did a double take when I saw that Alt Yuri screenshot where she had blonde hair because it looked like Mary (at least from my tiny netbook screen), I'd love to see her Real Bout self brought back.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Frankfurt said:
Panache i agree, care... debateable, but money? It was not only their most expensive game ever, but also the most expensive 2D fighter ever.

Though, I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that some of the money that was pumped into KoFXII, and the assets that were developed for KoFXII weren't actually even released IN KoFXII... but were rather held back and refined for KoFXIII... which is fine, but also not entirely honest. That fact would really make KoFXIII the most expensive 2D fighter ever made, not XII.

KoFXII was hardly a game, and it hardly warranted a release. Did they actually make any money by releasing KoFXII? It looked like it just bled them further.

Souther

Banned
Hmmm....Wonder if the 97 Special team makes a return.

If Yamazaki doesn't make it in I'm going to be kind of pissed.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Frankfurt said:
One important, sobering bit of info - Neithan, the french dude that took the huge pics, says when asked about it, the producer said if this game fails, KOF is over.

I wonder if anyone can confirm that.

"Even if it sucks again, PLEASE BUY OUR GAME SO WE CAN GIVE YOU MORE CRAP!" If it were to do that badly (like Sen levels of sales, heh), it's all SNK's fault for fucking it up so badly. Twice. But I don't expect that to happen unless the arcade version is still shunned for whatever reason, and the home version still has horrible online play.

Not that surprising, since they cancelled three games after XII, and Nona had previously said XII was the most expensive 2D fighter ever...

That's really sad and pathetic based on what we got.

Choppasmith said:
While that's possible as SvC kinda did it (Poison, Ciel, and God) Will they go the extra mile and get voice acting like BB's story cutscenes, or will it be text only like SvC? I'm kinda leaning toward the latter mostly because it sounds like they're tight as it is, and the voice of Raiden, Daisuke Gouri, recently passed away and they're still using his voice.

Yeah I'm excited for the return of story elements

dang, he was a good VA.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
tubgirlsplumber said:
I'll admit that I was disappointed by 12 but I'm gonna buy this anyway.

Notwithstanding that these are the only KOFs you need;

photo-93.jpg

No, not anymore. It's these:

4463597072_b4832bcd51.jpg

You can substitute '94 Rebout for Regulation A if you want. :p

Mikhal

Frankfurt said:
One important, sobering bit of info - Neithan, the french dude that took the huge pics, says when asked about it, the producer said if this game fails, KOF is over.
"Everyone on the KOFXII staff were sure about one thing from the beginning: any title in the main KOF series had to feature hand-drawn 2D art."

This was a quote from the 2D Dot Art gallery that was posted earlier. What are the odds that this is what they meant? Making 3D models and then using those to create keyframes for the sprites in XII and XIII is costing them a lot of time and money. Might as well scrap what they had so far and ditch 2D graphics and make another KOF "series" if they decide to make another one. The Ash saga will be done with 13 so it would be the best time to make a clean break if it fails.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
arstal said:
About the same odds of you winning SBO.
:lol
That was cold... but true.

Ive updated the OP with some links and credits, this weekend is going to be full of videos from the loketest so expect a good OP update by then.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
SNK has been on a roll of shit lately. Their XBLA ports feature god awful netcode and KOF 98 UM wasn't even fully translated. They ignored PSN altogether (unless something was going on there). Then KOF XII was...what it was. Most expensive 2D fighter ever? Did they shove the money up their ass for what we got? Please. then there's SamSho Sen. Wow.

This is their last chance. If KOF XIII fails, just sell the IPs to Capcom and move on. =/

Kintaro said:
SNK has been on a roll of shit lately. Their XBLA ports feature god awful netcode and KOF 98 UM wasn't even fully translated. They ignored PSN altogether (unless something was going on there). Then KOF XII was...what it was. Most expensive 2D fighter ever? Did they shove the money up their ass for what we got? Please. then there's SamSho Sen. Wow.

This is their last chance. If KOF XIII fails, just sell the IPs to Capcom and move on. =/

heh love this post.

Lyte Edge said:
No, not anymore. It's these:

4463597072_b4832bcd51.jpg

You can substitute '94 Rebout for Regulation A if you want. :p

I liked 11 actually, not sure about maximum impact. Also I really liked K9999, so I didn't get the recent re-do of '02 (if that is the one in the pic).

After all these years I still like the early ones, even '94 with it's fixed roster (not necessarily a bad thing).

TreIII

Mikhal said:
"Everyone on the KOFXII staff were sure about one thing from the beginning: any title in the main KOF series had to feature hand-drawn 2D art."

This was a quote from the 2D Dot Art gallery that was posted earlier. What are the odds that this is what they meant? Making 3D models and then using those to create keyframes for the sprites in XII and XIII is costing them a lot of time and money. Might as well scrap what they had so far and ditch 2D graphics and make another KOF "series" if they decide to make another one. The Ash saga will be done with 13 so it would be the best time to make a clean break if it fails.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking.

At worse, maybe they'll reneg and go for a sort of MI type of thing again. Lyte Edge and I agree on this much: MIRA was a hell of a game in its own right, and I could have seen sequels expanding on that, if SNK weren't idiots and let Falcoon go.

On the other hand, where KOF could fail, would easily be an opportunity for some thing like Fatal Fury to rise from the ashes and take back what was once its glory of being the flagship franchise of SNK... :D

RedAssedApe

Banned
Its kind of sad how bad they failed with their last few releases. If netcode for KOF 98UM, Garou, and SS had been good they probably would have made a decent amount of money for something that probably cost them close to nil.

Look at how well HD Remix and MvC2 did. Granted those are probably considered to be higher profile more mainstrain/popular titles. The same people who bought those XBLA/PSN games and SF4/Blazblue probably would have picked up at least one of those SNK titles just through word of mouth alone. Not to mention, helped sell a few more copies of KOF XII.

Instead, everyone just shits on SNK now. ::tear:: :lol

Kintaro said:

Capcom buyout confirmed then. I love SNK, SamSho, Last Blade, Kizuna, KoF, they made great stuff, and (like Sega but without the money) they've proceeded to shit all over them. When Capcom takes your IP's and makes them better than you (as in CvS) then you must know something's wrong. KoF XII was a disaster, this game should've been XII in all honesty, it would've saved them distribution costs and a load of rep. When ASW came along and started churning out 2D fighters that were better and of higher quality (hear the purists screams already) than SNK, they surely must've known something was up. I mean heck, why can't they bump their old catalogue up to HD proper and release it onto XBLA or PSN, that's nearly free money, put a new SamSho out in 2D, hell copy Capcom and do 2.5D with one of your series...I dunno, they've got me nerd-raging so much nowadays...

I bought XII for near ful price from amazon, I sold it a week later because it was damned unplayable at times, and an insult at others. Screens for XIII have me excited (King!) but as others have said, fool me once...

Has someone come up with a KoFcycle.jpg yet? I know it's not funny, but it's true right now.:D

Edit: Also, what the hell's up with the XBLA exclusivity for the old games they have put out? Do they not want my money as a PS3 owner? :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Now that I got that off my chest, I wish them all the best with KOF XIII. Just please, go out of your way to make it bad ass for your arcade launch, make your money, patch up any bad blood. Then move on to a proper console release. Work closer with a US publisher who will help them acquire proper netcode, modes and marketing.

Just...something. Please? =( Also, bring on someone better to work with your XBLA/PSN (bring them to PSN god damnit) releases. Even Backbone would be better than what we've gotten.

Or, shit man. Release a new version of the Neo Geo or something and go back to older sprites. I don't care. I'll buy it as long as it's something they can't fuck up.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I really hope the last team is a team with K, I really want him in KOF13!

I'm hoping for this possible teams:

1) K, Kula, Whip
2) K, Kula, Vanessa
3) K, Whip, Vanessa

I will be happy with any of those, teams setups. I just want my K in it! :D

This teams are possible, its not the first time K has team up with Whip or Vanessa.

Top Bottom