• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Ferrio said:
Is the character list final yet?

Curious if
<-----
Is making it in.

Hmm... she only fits in Kim and Big Bear team, but I would prefer to have Yamazaki in that team. Since he is a evil guy and Big Bear too, fits with Kim ideology of educating evildoers. :lol

I can only see Takuma filling the spot of Ryo and Robert, who else could they use to fill that spot?

Iori and Mature spot is most likely Vice.

Swittcher

Banned
Wait, what? SNK cancelled Maximum Impact 3? JUST to release XII?

That's gotta be one of the dumbest things I ever heard. Maximum Impact is a bag of dog boners, but it remains SNK's best selling series...ever.

Ever.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Swittcher said:
Wait, what? SNK cancelled Maximum Impact 3? JUST to release XII?

That's gotta be one of the dumbest things I ever heard. Maximum Impact is a bag of dog boners, but it remains SNK's best selling series...ever.

Ever.

I think they cancel it because they fired Falcoon.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Swittcher said:
WHAT? That's an even better reason to go forward with it.

No shitty new Falcoon-designed characters.

If KOF:MI was a huge success, then I think that those shitty Falcoon designs are the cause for the success.

Frankfurt

Banned
Falcoon was the reason for the success. See SSSen, FFWA, Buriki, MS3D for what SNK's other 3D games are like.

He is a huge SC fan, the bonus stages, mission modes, clothes, extra characters... All of those were his ideas. There's an interview from 2006 where he says they asked him for a casual game, and he was the one that pushed for all the extras.

And last i checked, every character had various looks, from down-to-earth to insane. Even the Alba brothers have normal-looking clothes, so the "shitty design" complain is at best, moot.

-DarKaoZ- said:
I think they cancel it because they fired Falcoon.

More like they fired Falcoon because they cancelled the games because they didn't have the money anymore. It's not like cancelling XII was an option.

Falcoon's firing and the official cancellation of the 3 games were together (second week of October), six months after the release of KOF XII .

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
-DarKaoZ- said:
If KOF:MI was a huge success, then I think that those shitty Falcoon designs are the cause for the success.

3d+ KOF+ decent gameplay+ dark ages of fighting games. That's why it succeeded.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Fersis said:
Nope, the new system its pretty much like a buffed up version of '02 cancel system.
Im not complaining though. ^__^

Hey Haunts you have to make a KOFXIII section on iplaywinner.com !!

Well they are already on the right track then. The critical counter system was really bad.I tried to like KOF12 but that whole system ruined it for me. Just got really dumb after a while.

I cant imagine them never making another KOF, with Mai in this game and the removal of the CC system im sure a lot of people will give it a shot. SNK has a loyal fanbase just waiting for them to get it right, so even if this is just a decent game it will do well based on that alone.

Looking good so far.

I'm really glad they are continuing the story and that the entire XII cast is returning. (Though I wish they would have altered Athena's design, I still don't think it suits her.) The outfit variations are pretty cool, I like that some of them actually alter the costume itself.

As for the six unrevealed characters, there are a lot of people I'd like to see, but given some of their team positions, I think we have a general idea of some of them. I hope the mystery team are some brand new characters though.

tzare

what characters do you think will be revealed later on?
My bet:

Vice for Iori's team
Takuma for AoF team
Choi for Kim's team (being Raiden a 'big' character as Chang)

For the secret team i have to ideas, both of them would please me XD

Boss team: Geese, Krauser/Rugal, Kain
Garou team: Rock, Gatoh, any of Kim's children :D

I'd also love to see more FF characters like Hon Fu, Bob, Duck King or Tung Fu Rue.

Do you think there will be boss fights? There is some 'room' at both sides of ash on select screen :D

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
If the new team is existing chars- 99% chance it's K'/Maxima/Kula.
I think it will be another NFT though.

As for bosses- I think the boss will be a buffed up Ash.

Not on the hype train yet, but definitely at the station. Air Orochinagi did scare me some.

There was a list of dlc for KOF12 that never materialized. It included the new Women's team, plus Vice, Billy Kane, Hwa-Jai, Takuma, Dark Ash and a boss. So Vice, Takuma, and either Billy or Hwa fill fill out the blanks. The intro kinda shows a Dark Ash and then there's some weird dude who I guess is the boss.

So yeah, as much as there's lots of characters I want in this I hope the mystery team is all new and they're awesome. Hope SNK shows they can still make good characters.

Just played a bit of XII and now I'm getting more and more excited for this! I'm no longer worried about the zoomed out camera since the speed has been cranked up. It's really going to feel a lot more like classic KoF!!! I noticed that not only is the camera zoomed out in XIII, but it looks like the characters are moved higher on the screen. In XII the feet of the sprites are always blocked by the super bar and even then Raiden from XII is still huge. Honestly, I was pretty worried about the space on the screen, but not anymore.

Playing XII also reminded me that even if it takes more than a year to come out these sprites are still going to be BEAUTIFUL. If the gameplay is as good as it looks I have no doubts, but I have some mostly cosmetic things that I hope get added to the complete game besides obvious stuff already mentioned:

Taunts. Please.
At least TWO win poses.
Teammates standing in the background. This is a must with the less chaotic backgrounds that have been shown.
Thats all! that's seriously all I want that I haven't seen. I love these characters so I see this stuff as necessary.

Things that I'll have to get over because I know they won't be changed:

Some of the girls being reduced to Moe-blobs. (King is hot though)
Andy and Ryo's scary faces.
Joe and other characters having a shadow over most of their bodies.
THE KING OF FIGHTERS IN UNITED KINGDOM text, the rest of that background is cool.

Eh, that's it. I'm READY!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
At least Air Orochi Nagi makes some sense. If I end up seeing an Air Power GyZAAA!, then it'll be time to run for the hills.

We got a lot of info on first day of this reveal, hope there's a good amount of gameplay vids coming to us next.

There still seems to be a pause in there when one lands a counter hit, maybe that's a small window to allow the one who landed the counter to drive cancel? I really liked the Garou-like spin of XII, but if this serves the same function, no huge loss.

Mai's stance and victory pose look pretty well animated, but when it comes to art, I easily prefer the more KOF XII looking promo art they're using on those banners, to the in game chara-select art. Her breast look kinda glued-on in the select-art. No real prob with how she looks in game (A bit cheesecake, but that's Mai!), even her leaning stance isn't too annoying. It's really unique for her, and I love the extra detail on her fan, and the way she opens the fan before tossing one. Moves look nice (Though no Burning Mai, or any other real bout stuff yet).

Give King Trap Shot, and her command throw, and I'll be happy. Looks like a good ole traditional King, so no real complaints.

Even if the next characters are from the XII info-cracking list, I hope SNKP creates them with as much originality as they did XII's Kensou and Chin. They both felt totally fresh, and like new characters. I hope we don't see any headswapped bodies, since it most of XII was very unique, save for some of the shared animations of Ralf/Clark.

Wonder if SNKP will cash in on the pre-release mini-hype by releasing any of their XBLA releases sooner rather than later?

Frankfurt

Banned
I'll be very surprised if we dopn't get more headswaps. Unless they've totally perfected the sprite-creation to the point of making them in half the time, i don't see them making so many characters in a year.

Anyway, all i want now is:

• Someone to play grapplers and comment on command throws.
  • Someone to talk about regular throws (2 button?).
  • Confirmation on the whole far-away, close moves thing. XII or previous style?

That's it. Anything else is fair game.

Frankfurt

Banned
movelist.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Dark Machine said:
Has someone come up with a KoFcycle.jpg yet? I know it's not funny, but it's true right now.:D

I don't really think one bad (main series) installment deserves such a gif. We'll see how this turns out.

Piano

Banned
The game has still reverted to pre-KOF 2003 mechanics, right?
Wish they would make a real successor to KOF XI...

Korigama

-DarKaoZ- said:
Really? Then that means they took out a move from Iori? WTF?

Not necessarily. Printed movelists don't always include everything a character has available. According to that list, they even gave his cross-up command move (mid-air b+B) back.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Korigama said:
Not necessarily. Printed movelists don't always include everything a character has available. According to that list, they even gave his cross-up command move (mid-air b+B) back.

That is true, I overreacted, well I hope he keeps his hcb+B or D, that thing was really useful.

luka said:
I don't really think one bad (main series) installment deserves such a gif. We'll see how this turns out.

True enough, I just thought it fit the current situation right now. Then again, with the SamShoSen being a big let down (especially for me as a SamSho fan), it could be warrented soon...

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
From Cyberfanatix:

Gameplay:

EX Mode - Characters can do new “EX” specials and supers by using up their power meter. EX versions of the moves can have various effects ranging from multiple hits, invincibility, hit detection after move hits, and in cases of some projectiles- faster speed, penetration. Most, but not all moves have an EX version.

Hyper Drive Mode – When the drive meter is at MAX, you can go into Hyper Drive mode, which lets you cancel all normal moves, command moves, and also lets you do infinite drive cancels for a limited time. Kind of identical to KOF 2002’s MAX Mode.

Drive Cancel – It allows for players to cancel a special or super into another one. Requires the use of the “drive meter”. EX moves can be used.

* Kyo gains an aerial Orochinagi
* Terry regains his Buster Wolf
* Yuri’s EX Raiouken can shoot 2 fireballs
* Athena’s EX Psycho Ball does 3 Hits
* Mai has a Ryuenbu feint
* Kyo can cancel first hit off df+D
* Kyo’s Shiki Kai “juggle height” is restored
* King can also do an Aerial Venom Strike
* Zooming from KOF XII is taken out.
* It seems Guard Attack is taken out in favor of the Old Guard Cancel Knockdown

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
corkscrewblow said:
Any character list yet? I won't give a shit about the game with no Vanessa, Whip and Kula.

COMPLETE TEAMS
Kyo - Beni - Goro
Elizabeth - Duo Lon - Shen
Terry - Andy - Joe
Athena - Kensou - Chin
Ralf - Clark - Leona
Mai - Yuri - King

INCOMPLETE TEAMS
Kim - Raiden - ? (I'm guessing Yamazaki)
Ryo - Robert - ? (Takuma makes sense)
Iori - Mature - ? (I see Vice here, unless they bring a new character)
? - ? - ? (Unannounced team, most likely new team or a Team that includes K, which I hope its the later)

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
LOKE TEST INFO from X20ASTRIKEFREEDOM @SRK:

Some more info at the loke test.

-used Beth, ash, iori
-ex seems decent more hits/damage
-lots of jumping attacks work like 12 and not older kofs harder to hit
-hopping crossups are easy to do by accident
-Beth has dashing uppercut that seems atleast upperbody invincible it went through haoshokoken, a juggle after into command throw okiseme
-ash still no command grab or overhead, ex flame blow kiss makes 2 appear at close and far and last a while
-ioris df+c is slow maybe overhead most combos work.. Didn't get to land a grab
-got kicked off machine (win cap)
-athenas crystal does little damage but is like instant
-yuri has no uppercut but akuma like dive kick,ranges on pokes are short
-mais ex fan is fast

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Aren't Mature and Vice dead? This isn't a dream match..

Also, is the event over? When are they revealing the rest of the cast?

luka said:
Aren't Mature and Vice dead? This isn't a dream match..
Well, no one is every really dead in a fighting game. They didn't really explain Mature in XII because it was a dream match but I'm sure there will be something in their bios or such. (The eye patch is most likely a hint of some sort.)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Doesn't look like anyone got any new moves outside of Kyo's air Orochinagi. Ryo, Robert and Kyo all need to go back to their post KOF 95 incarnations. Clark needs some of his old moves back as well. Who is he now? Guile with two specials? Bring back hurrican ranna damnit. HEY! :p

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
henhowc said:
Doesn't look like anyone got any new moves outside of Kyo's air Orochinagi. Ryo, Robert and Kyo all need to go back to their post KOF 95 incarnations. Clark needs some of his old moves back as well. Who is he now? Guile with two specials? Bring back hurrican ranna damnit. HEY! :p

-DarKaoZ- said:
* King can also do an Aerial Venom Strike

Aerial Orochinagi and Aerial Venom Strike are new. Besides that command list scan is not complete, they aren't usually.

RedAssedApe

Banned
-DarKaoZ- said:
* King can also do an Aerial Venom Strike.

King and Mai are new. I meant "new" moves for the returning cast from KOF12. I wouldn't really consider EX moves as new moves. The Kyo move properties should have been there in the first place from previous KOFs. Just goes to show you how incomplete KOF12 felt.

I'm hoping that Buster Wolf and Air Orochinagi is a sign that all of the new characters have at least two supers this time around and unique animation for MAX supers.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
henhowc said:
Check Clark movelist.
By the way, once again SNKP puts an incomplete move list. (ie.there's no Terry Crack Shoot or Iori's QCB+K)
There's more than that.

Yuri is the new KOF cute girl
-Also on that video you can see the 'remixed' KOFXII Egypt stage. (Pretty awesome if you ask me)
-There's a flash FX when you win a round with a DM. (I love those!)

Nice footage
-Looks like there's more than 10 colors?

panda21

Fersis said:
Check Clark movelist.
By the way, once again SNKP puts an incomplete move list. (ie.there's no Terry Crack Shoot)
There's more than that.

Yuri is the new KOF cute girl
-Also on that video you can see the 'remixed' KOFXII Egypt stage. (Pretty awesome if you ask me)
-There's a flash FX when you win a round with a DM. (I love those!)

Nice footage
-Looks like there's more than 10 colors?

nice!

is that background a palette swap?

new backgrounds look really cool, love the elephants and the london one is stupid :lol

Top Bottom