• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Frankfurt said:
No, they're new. One is a Kyo combo showing off how Hyper mode works, the other is a pan of the rainy street into Mai's sideways poster on the lobby of the building.

You still haven't seen the previous vids?

I'll delete them in a while, so get them while they're hot (and to the people considering posting the links on other forums - be mindful of that).

Downloading now. Thank you, Frankfurt!

tzare said:
do characters have taunts as the used to have ?

the think about this KOF is that reminds me more of SNK post KOF99 (really not SNK, but eolith and others) than SNK previous to 99. But i will take it XD

Gotta have taunts. Little things like that give KoF the personality that I hope isn't missing again.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Frankfurt said:
Let me know when you're done. Also, edit your post to remove the links, if you can. Don't want people complaining.

Finished! I'm going to upload them to Viddler in case anyone else has an issue like me at all (doubtful, but more options are better, after all).

Links to the old Youtube gameplay videos in case anyone wanted them:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GuardianE/videos/2/
http://www.viddler.com/explore/GuardianE/videos/1/

Thanks again, Frankfurt!

It's much much faster than what I had originally thought. And Mai looks very speedy, appropriately as a ninja.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
haunts said:
Are critical counters still in the game?
Nope, the new system its pretty much like a buffed up version of '02 cancel system.
Im not complaining though. ^__^

CyberFanatix.com said:
EX Mode - Characters can do new “EX” specials and supers by using up their power meter. EX versions of the moves can have various effects ranging from multiple hits, invincibility, hit detection after move hits, and in cases of some projectiles- faster speed, penetration. Most, but not all moves have an EX version.

Hyper Drive Mode – When the drive meter is at MAX, you can go into Hyper Drive mode, which lets you cancel all normal moves, command moves, and also lets you do infinite drive cancels for a limited time. Kind of identical to KOF 2002’s MAX Mode.

Drive Cancel – It allows for players to cancel a special or super into another one. Requires the use of the “drive meter”. EX moves can be used.

Hey Haunts you have to make a KOFXIII section on iplaywinner.com !!

Phew!

Just woke up and have been catching up in this thread the last hour. All I can say is "Hello, old friend, I've missed you! You're looking good!"

SvC-esque intros? New characters? More robust gameplay? I'm sold! Day one here! I really REALLY hope this will be the game that will FINALLY shut up the critics ("KoF's a waste of time because of its outdated graphics")

Now if we can just get some direct feed footage. There's a sad lack of Yuri too.

RedAssedApe

Banned
King has a bowl cut. Makes her head look huge. Nevermind...just saw the higher-res screens. She looks fine.

Yuri looks like a loli like Athena. :(
Mai just looks strange in her neutral stance...weighed down.

Cheesy fire sprites are still in. :lol

Gameplay is already looking better than XII though!

Frankfurt

Banned
One important, sobering bit of info - Neithan, the french dude that took the huge pics, says when asked about it, the producer said if this game fails, KOF is over.

I wonder if anyone can confirm that.

Not that surprising, since they cancelled three games after XII, and Nona had previously said XII was the most expensive 2D fighter ever...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
It looks like the SNKP guys said that if this KOF fails, there will be no more KOF.
Make or break.

;___;

EDIT:Ha, just posted the same as frankfurt.
EDIT2: I really hope they're talking about Arcade, i think that its going to be a hit.
EDIT3: No more KOF huh? Ill quit gaming that same day.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Frankfurt said:
One important, sobering bit of info - Neithan, the french dude that took the huge pics, says when asked about it, the producer said if this game fails, KOF is over.

Not that surprising, since they cancelled three games after XII, and Nona had previously said XII was the most expensive 2D fighter ever...

Mai will save the KoF franchise. Of this, I'm confident.

GrayFoxPL

Fersis said:
Sweet footage
om nom nom nom

Dayum this looks and feels like KOF!
-Clark got back some of his moves.
-Joe has new FXs on some of the moves.
-Benimaru has his 3 kick combo.

That's from the video or some other info source?
I didn't notice anything new for Clark. FX for moves are for the ex versions. Joe looks beyond top tier. He destroys. Hyper mode is awesome.
Benimaru has the same 3 kick combo like in 12. His normal flashkick seems faster thou.

I'm mad that they still didn't add close move animations. Lazy. Backgrounds again look like us cartoons from the 50-ties.

Still impressed by the game. Nice system. Kyo's Air Orochinagi looks just awesome.

Fersis said:
It looks like the SNKP guys said that if this KOF fails, there will be no more KOF.
Make or break.

Yeah, KOF games are sure few and far between. I'm not too worried if this flops, I'm sure Sky Stage will be a smash.

LowParry

All SNK needs to do is be sure the netcode for consoles is up on par as SF4, or better like BB. Complete roster. Complete move set for all characters. More stages. More KOF personality. After XIII succeeds, help Capcom make a CvsS3 game. Franchise saved. Do eeeeit! Feeeeel it!

kitzkozan

Fersis said:
Make or break.

;___;

EDIT:Ha, just posted the same as frankfurt.
EDIT2: I really hope they're talking about Arcade, i think that its going to be a hit.

:lol Don't overreact. :p

If SNKP end up bombing,I am sure that Capcom would be the first to pick them up.

There's money to be made from Capcom vs SNK (it's probably the vs serie with the most potential).Not only that,Capcom is far better at marketing than before and they could probably put KOF over in the west.KOF would probably change in term of appearance and gameplay somewhat,but we wouldn't get another KOF XII disaster.

I know that I want to see SNK characters in the IV engine at least once. :D Would love to see how they transition with cinematic super or whatever.

GrayFoxPL

CcrooK said:
All SNK needs to do is be sure the netcode for consoles is up on par as SF4, or better like BB. Complete roster. Complete move set for all characters. More stages. More KOF personality. After XIII succeeds, help Capcom make a CvsS3 game. Franchise saved. Do eeeeit! Feeeeel it!

All those things cost money and that's what's SNK probably run out off by now.
Beta or not, more ppl should've bought XII then just whine. I whined a bit, but I bought it. It was one of 3 games I ever imported.

I'm afraid that if some super good players will find infinites in arcade version, then peeps will still whine and not buy the home version. "Why would I buy broken game?". Then kof is finished.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's impossible for it to fail now, it has Mai! And we all know loads of people are willing to spend money to drool over her.

Anyway, nice to see goo upclose screens, and get a good look at the character artworks. The color selections look great, and seeing shirtless Benimaru + 2 toned outfit Raiden makes me hope all characters will have similiar tricks towards "unique" looks.

Good to see some remnants of XII's gameplay, like Joe's ability to combo so well with his command normals. Good to see Golden Heel back, too, as well as his Combo DM. Didn't get to learn much from the Clark showing, but hopefully that'll be resolved soon. King's sprite looks pretty good up close, I might not prefer her that skinny, but I think it fits the style, and I'm not one who'se afraid of change! Her face still looks sharp and mature, so at least it preserves her character.

Animation looks alot sharper in these newer vids than those first Youtube ones, which is no suprise. The SVC-like cinematics are very cool, as well.

EX moves look fun, looks a lot like 2002 stuff. Not my pref, but can easily live with it! If this game has a gameplay system that gives more modern KoF fans a reason to move on from 2k2UM, then great.

There's so many Kyokugen team members possible in this game now, wonder what the chances are of seeing Kasumi and Eiji? Don't care that much for Malin, but if her inclusion would bring back the Anti-Kyokugen team, then that'd be liveable, especially if they did a good redesign.

Frankfurt

Banned
kitzkozan said:
:lol Don't overreact. :p

If SNKP end up bombing,I am sure that Capcom would be the first to pick them up.

There's money to be made from Capcom vs SNK (it's probably the vs serie with the most potential).Not only that,Capcom is far better at marketing than before and they could probably put KOF over in the west.KOF would probably change in term of appearance and gameplay somewhat,but we wouldn't get another KOF XII disaster.

I know that I want to see SNK characters in the IV engine at least once. :D Would love to see how they transition with cinematic super or whatever.

Not to be annoying but already being, you're implying all SNK fans like Capcom's versions.

Speaking for myself, i didn't enjoy the way any of the SNK characters played in CVS, and would definetly like even less to see them in the SF IV engine, because then not even the graphics would be enjoyable.

No_Style

What is a "success" to SNKP? What are they realistically aiming for? Breaking even or some lofty goal like SFIV level of sales?

P.S - I've always preferred how Capcom handled the SNK characters in the CvS games. I did enjoy how the characters felt based on the KOFXII demo though.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Frankfurt said:
Not to be annoying but already being, you're implying all SNK fans like Capcom's versions.

Speaking for myself, i didn't enjoy the way any of the SNK characters played in CVS, and would definetly like even less to see them in the SF IV engine, because then not even the graphics would be enjoyable.

Locally most of the SNK fans hate SFEX4,as they all call it.

Then again they hated KOFXII to, though the hype for XIII is there.

Some of the air moves scare me though, air orochinagi, King air fireball?

Fersis

No_Style said:
What is a "success" to SNKP? What are they realistically aiming for? Breaking even or some lofty goal like SFIV level of sales?

P.S - I've always preferred how Capcom handled the SNK characters in CvS games. I did enjoy how the characters felt based on the KOFXII demo though.
They want a place on the arcade business.
Thats why XIII has 02 systems, because 02 is really popular. And 02UM still charts on Arcadia monthly Top 10.

XIII has at least 30 characters, thats a nice number (to be a competitive KOF) if you ask me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Fersis said:
They want a place on the arcade business.
Thats why XIII has 02 systems, because 02 is really popular. And 02UM still charts on Arcadia monthly Top 10.

Well, with the arcade scene really not being what it used to, they can't gauge success using that measuring stick anymore if they plan to release the title outside of Japan.

Fersis

GuardianE said:
Well, with the arcade scene really not being what it used to, they can't gauge success using that measuring stick anymore if they plan to release the title outside of Japan.
True true, if they want to sell better than XII they have to sell a complete package and not a prototype.
From what we've seen of XIII they're on the right track and that makes me so damn happy.

black_vegeta said:
Did they scale down the character models compared to the previous game?
There's no zoom in anymore.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
black_vegeta said:

Looks like it, and that's a good thing. There was zero distance game in XII, which kinda dumbed down the game some.

-PXG-

black_vegeta said:

I thought the models were upscaled from 480p. At least that is what I remember reading here a while ago. If that is true, imagine how good they would look in native 720p/1080p :)

EDIT

Are you talking about their size or their resolution?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
No Vanessa or Angel.. :(
Are there any characters they still haven't revealed? IS THERE STILL HOPE?

Frankfurt said:

D: Oh shit. Mai is back though so it'll probably be ok.

AAK

Frankfurt said:

Maybe they can make another Last Blade then.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Swittcher said:
Ignition didn't exactly handle KOF with the most the panache, care, or money it deserved when it came to promotion/marketing.

To be fair, SNK didn't exactly handle KOFXII with the most panache, care, or money it deserved when it came to development.

It was the reveals and reviews that ultimately turned the game off for a lot of would be buyers. I know that I was all set to pre-order until I read what I'd be getting.

GhaleonQ

I'll wait for character announcements to get REALLY excited. The Elisabeth bonus got me last time, and Yuri's a great start. I wish them luck. There's been no word about a quick arcade->home turnaround, has there?

Frankfurt said:

Because they're going to make The Last Blade 3, right?

...Oh, you mean they're done with fighting games. Oh. *weeps*

Top Bottom