• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

mujun

Fersis said:
I agree 100% with that guy from SRK.
Im kind of depressed to know that this could be the last KOF, but it looks like SNKP is putting all their effort on XIII.
If this is the last KOF, it will be KOF's swan song.
Really everything they've shown is everything i wanted KOF XII to be.
And theres more to be revealed !

By the way: The india stage is the best stage of all time!

Hey Fersis were you ever a member on neo-geo.com?

GuardianE said:
She's always had a slight bend to her pose, it's just a bit more pronounced and stylized here. Quite frankly, after seeing what they did with Athena I was worried they'd try to cover her up. I think they struck a nice enough balance. They didn't keep the ass jiggle HK sweep. :lol

no need to cover her up. she's traditionally showing lots of leg with the ocassional ass, they should've kept it that way and set the jiggling factor lower by taking the focus out of her tits. her new sprite is very well done, but i feel they went overboard with her this time.

Frankfurt

Banned
jett said:
Naw man, there's a slight blur filter on sprites. Maybe you need a new screen. :p Compare the edges on Kim to the edges on the HUD.

And btw the actual size/resolution of the sprites is much lower than what is shown in gameplay(they're indeed blown up just a bit).

32.jpg

This is this their native resolution

And they look great. Don't know why even upscale them.

Finaika

Just came back from the loketest, some things I noticed:

- The charging C+D and combos from C+D attacks from KOFXII are gone.
- The elephants from the India stage looks CG, very beautiful.
- The Paris stage with the fat ladies from KOFXII now has Arc de Triomphe in the background.
- Duolon's SDM is super annoying, always catches jumping opponents off-guard.
- Clark's Argentine Backbreaker SDM now looks more like his classic move where he backbreaks & slam his opponents into the floor, unlike in KOFXII where he just knee drop them at the end.
- Terry has an alternate color that makes him look like Robert.
- And Robert too has an alternate color that makes him look like Terry :lol
- Yuri has an alternate color that makes her look like Iroha from Samurai Showdown.
- Benimaru has an alternate color which makes his arms silver metallic in color, dark pants & topless, so he looks like Jax from Mortal Kombat (?!)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
jett said:
Naw man, there's a slight blur filter on sprites. Maybe you need a new screen. :p Compare the edges on Kim to the edges on the HUD.

And btw the actual size/resolution of the sprites is much lower than what is shown in gameplay(they're indeed blown up just a bit).

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/img/gmw/docs/357/146/32.jpg
This is this their native resolution

Well, ok, they are blown up a bit in gameplay, but I wouldn't call any of that a "filter". The small loss of clarity is more to the fact that they are zoomed in just a tad, but it seems to be a 1 x 1 enlargement, that doesn't lose pixel detail. There are no smeared edges, no awkward stair-step linework, none of the things that come with poor zooming and/or filters on sprites.

I wouldn't say the resolution is "much lower", but I would agree with you "indeed they're blown up just a bit" XD

The Hud and stuff is sharper than the pixel work, because, well, it's not pixel art XD. Those are vector-based game assets, so no way the characters will look as sharp as those, unfortunately.

And my monitor is just fine, thank you! :D

Changes on Leona, noted from the http://d.hatena.ne.jp/video/niconico/sm10171032 vid:

-As mentioned, Close double Knee!
-She has "Rider Kick!" back! The weird red glowing foot thing.
-She has 3 variations of X-Calibur shown.
----An Air fireball that shoots fast, doesn't last long, and bounces her back.
----Air fireball that sits on screen longer, after she has recovered (probably EX)
----KOF XII style, where she travels along in the X energy.

I love these changes! Worse thing in XII was doing X-calibur and recovering RIGHT on the opponent. Now she can bounce herself back, land in them, or leave a fireball with a duration, which probably tags multi-hits. Great to see!

Random Note, V slasher animation seems slightly different (explosions happen at different points, faster, and I think maybe a new V), but that's just a style thing.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Finaika said:
Just came back from the loketest, some things I noticed:

- The charging C+D and combos from C+D attacks from KOFXII are gone.
- The elephants from the India stage looks CG, very beautiful.
- The Paris stage with the fat ladies from KOFXII now has Arc de Triomphe in the background.
- Duolon's SDM is super annoying, always catches jumping opponents off-guard.
- Clark's Argentine Backbreaker SDM now looks more like his classic move where he backbreaks & slam his opponents into the floor, unlike in KOFXII where he just knee drop them at the end.
- Terry has an alternate color that makes him look like Robert.
- And Robert too has an alternate color that makes him look like Terry :lol
- Yuri has an alternate color that makes her look like Iroha from Samurai Showdown.
- Benimaru has an alternate color which makes his arms silver metallic in color, dark pants & topless, so he looks like Jax from Mortal Kombat (?!)
Which characters did you tried?
Also did i said that i love you? Because i do. :3

Finaika

Fersis said:
Which characters did you tried?
Also have i said that i love you? Because i do.
I tried the Women's Team, Clark, Terry & Iori.

Mai is awesome, love her sprite, her Ryuenbuu can catch opponents in the air off-guard, and she can link 3 LK's into her Shinobi Bachi :D

jett

D-Member
SAB CA said:
Well, ok, they are blown up a bit in gameplay, but I wouldn't call any of that a "filter". The small loss of clarity is more to the fact that they are zoomed in just a tad, but it seems to be a 1 x 1 enlargement, that doesn't lose pixel detail. There are no smeared edges, no awkward stair-step linework, none of the things that come with poor zooming and/or filters on sprites.

I wouldn't say the resolution is "much lower", but I would agree with you "indeed they're blown up just a bit" XD

The Hud and stuff is sharper than the pixel work, because, well, it's not pixel art XD. Those are vector-based game assets, so no way the characters will look as sharp as those, unfortunately.

And my monitor is just fine, thank you! :D

It is a blur filter, and the edges are smeared. Compare:

KOF12
KOF12_20090410_09.png

KOF13
41.jpg

Stop being so stubborn. :p Console version should thankfully have the option to remove that crap.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Finaika said:

Mai is awesome, love her sprite, her Ryuenbuu can catch opponents in the air off-guard, and she can link 3 LK's into her Shinobi Bachi :D
Clark!!!!!
He got his hold b,f + P back right? (I think its called Gattling punch)

Frankfurt

Banned
Finaika said:

How are command throws and throwing in general? How would you compare to XII and previous KOFs?

Thanks for the info!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Not being stubborn, in my use of the words, "filter" and "scaling" are 2 different things. Guess they're not for you, which is fine, these terms are kinda derivative when not used professionally.

On the XII screenshot you use, the characters ARE scaled sloppy, those tell-tale stair-step edges appear on the sprites, and the linework is compromised. Fine "single dot" lines have extra pixels added, due to bad upscaling, much like you would see in the zoomwork for Samurai Shodown.

Like I said, you're right, in-fight sprites do appear to be upscaled some, but it's 1 x 1, unlike in KoF XII. It's closer to, say, what Marvel VS Capcom 2 did on XBLA, rather than old SNK scaling. It's an improved scaling than in XII, so this is a good thing.

I know what I'm talking about when it comes to pixel works, I make pixel art myself ^_^ So lets not fight over anything, I just wanted to clear up what I saw as a misunderstanding, and a miscommunication of ideas. No beef here!

Fersis

Calm down people! You're going to scare Finaika!

Finaika

Fersis said:
Clark!!!!!
He got his hold b,f + P back right? (I think its called Gattling punch)
Yup, although unfortunately he can't follow it up with the DP jumping throw from KOF'99 (I think).

Frankfurt said:
How are command throws and throwing in general? How would you compare to XII and previous KOFs?

Thanks for the info!
I think it's the same as KOFXII, I did connect several of Clark's Super Argentine Backbreaker rather easily.

Calm down people! You're going to scare Finaika!
:p

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Everything sounds good so far, but Sen and XII force me to remain cautiously optimistic. :lol

jett

D-Member
SAB CA said:
Not being stubborn, in my use of the words, "filter" and "scaling" are 2 different things. Guess they're not for you, which is fine, these terms are kinda derivative when not used professionally.

On the XII screenshot you use, the characters ARE scaled sloppy, those tell-tale stair-step edges appear on the sprites, and the linework is compromised. Fine "single dot" lines have extra pixels added, due to bad upscaling, much like you would see in the zoomwork for Samurai Shodown.

Like I said, you're right, in-fight sprites do appear to be upscaled some, but it's 1 x 1, unlike in KoF XII. It's closer to, say, what Marvel VS Capcom 2 did on XBLA, rather than old SNK scaling. It's an improved scaling than in XII, so this is a good thing.

I know what I'm talking about when it comes to pixel works, I make pixel art myself ^_^ So lets not fight over anything, I just wanted to clear up what I saw as a misunderstanding, and a miscommunication of ideas. No beef here!

If you make pixel art how the fuck can you be okay with blurred out sprites?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Finaika said:
Yup, although unfortunately he can't follow it up with the DP jumping throw from KOF'99 (I think).

I think it's the same as KOFXII, I did connect several of Clark's Super Argentine Backbreaker rather easily.

:p

Thanks for the info ^_^ Always great to see Clark news. Did you get a change to see if any command throws had EX versions? Even if throws are the same as in XII, if EX added invincibility or throw range, that could be a big deal.

It's rather funny that, with all the new things to give Clark, they give him a punching move, lol. Can't say I hate that, though, especially since it probably has more potential for EX/Cancel than simply something like his Frankensteiner or such.

jett said:
If you make pixel art how the fuck can you be okay with blurred out sprites?

I'd rather see 1 to 1 linework than stair-step edges, that's why. Take windows paint, for example. If one takes the pencil tool, and just draws a 2 by 2 line with it, that's not what we consider pixel art, even if it does look like it. It doesn't have the care of each dot being placed. Only when each line is made specifically, dot by dot, with hand-drawn aliasing and such, is it considered pixel art. If you upscale by a straight zoom (something that has no edge interpolation), it's still considered pixel art.

But when you make a JPG of it, and either compress it (which adds in artefacing and it's own colors), or save as a high enough JPG so it doesn't change colors (much) but leads to improper upscaling (where the pixels are not uniformly doubled, there are some added in because that's the way the format understands the image), then you're taking away all the fine color and line details the artist put in.

An upscaled image retains the linework, retains the colors, but it doesn't look as clear, because the pixels are no longer the size of the pixels on the screen. They might be made out of 4 pixels making up one block, or such. But this still maintains the correct ratios that the artist themselves used. If the edges are 1 block, and then another one pixel above, and one to the right, if it's upscaled 1 x 1, it looks the same.

Of course I'll prefer the method that is as close to original as possible, I love the way XII looks for goodness sakes! Pixel art is easily my fav form of game artwork, but I understand that in this day and age, it's expensive, time consuming, and doesn't get the desired returns. So I'd much rather see upscaled sprites with delicious animation, than bigger, exact res sprites with a drop in animation, or high res, flash-like vectors with poor animation. KoF XIII is doing a better job, so far, of marrying the actual pixel look, animation style, and character size, at HD display res, than just about any other commericial games. So I like to give credit where it is due!

CcrooK said:
Ya know, I'm going to stay on the wagon of XIII having the proper content first before I start cherry picking at everything else such the blur effect and other things.

I agree, these things could change a LOT before the game comes out, and we don't know what kind of filters, or even just straight improvements, could be made before console, heck, even arcade release. But graphic discussion is a big point of modern 2D fighters, so it's bound to be discussed here and there. I'll try to keep it minimal on my end, from here on out. :D

LowParry

Ya know, I'm going to stay on the wagon of XIII having the proper content first before I start cherry picking at everything else such the blur effect and other things.

Stupid font needs to gtfo.

Weaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddyyyyyyy FIGHT!

Sewect de odor!

They need to change the "Beat By" thing. Non SNK fans would think it's been beaten by tally instead of wins./ Or maybe that's just them keeping the snk tradition.

Fersis

SAB CA said:
One more thing I notice: Shen Woo's ability to combo intp uppercut after dash punch (seen in XII) seems to be MUCH more lenient now, going by those players. It as a very stubborn 1 frame link in XII, you'd rarely see even the best AI guys pull it off. Here, among these vids, you see it pulled off multiple times without a hitch.
Nah, the player is using the drive cancel.
It was crazy strict on KOFXII :/

Frankfurt

Banned
I used to main Kyo way back in the 94 and 95 days. Seeing his cancel Oniyaki into Shiki double kick made me want to try him again. First time i've paid attention to him in God knows how long.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
Nah, the player is using the drive cancel.
It was crazy strict on KOFXII :/

Ahhh, was it Drive each time? -nod- Good lookin out!
Then, I wonder if the "normal" way is still strick, or if they took it away, since it can be replicated with drive?

An "easy mode" way to do it should be good for him, anyway. It's a great setup, and even with meter use, it still makes it more accessable.

I'm liking these EX moves/drive combos! It's a decent sign that people are able to pick up on the systems so quickly, hints at the idea that the stuff isn't hyper-convoluted and over-strict.

Yuri has no uppercut and she looks like godamn Mars People. At least tell me Terry has power dunk, please?

also more evidence Billy Kane and Takuma will be added: one level has British flags everywhere and another has a giant creepy Tengu mask looking around:lol

kdash7

I really really want KOFXIII to succeed. Bought Kofxii day 1 and will do the same for kofxiii when it launches on the consoles.

I like what i see till now. It is going back to its original roots when compared to Kofxii gameplay. I am also quite happy with the roster, and there there are still 6 more characters remaining to be disclosed which is fantastic!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
kdash7 said:
I really really want KOFXIII to succeed. Bought Kofxii day 1 and will do the same for kofxiii when it launches on the consoles.

I like what i see till now. It is going back to its original roots when compared to Kofxii gameplay. I am also quite happy with the roster, and there there are still 6 more characters remaining to be disclosed which is fantastic!

Given what's already been announced, and given that they haven't revealed everything, I'll gladly buy it even if the netcode was completely crap.

I didn't ask for much from SNK... just a complete, next gen King of Fighters. As long as they deliver that, I'll buy it. With KoFXII, there simply wasn't enough there to justify. I was excited about it and pre-ordered it assuming that basic staples would be in there... but they weren't.

Yuri basically seems like CvS2 Yuri with an added dive kick command move and without the Chou Uppa, Double, Yuri Chou Reppa. I hope she gets the Uppa back before the games release because that is an important part of her gameplay.

kdash7

GuardianE said:
Given what's already been announced, and given that they haven't revealed everything, I'll gladly buy it even if the netcode was completely crap.

I didn't ask for much from SNK... just a complete, next gen King of Fighters. As long as they deliver that, I'll buy it. With KoFXII, there simply wasn't enough there to justify. I was excited about it and pre-ordered it assuming that basic staples would be in there... but they weren't.

I agree. But the netcode has to be decent this time around. Atleast SFIV decent. We already know this will be a complete next gen King of Figthers, SNKP doesnt have a choice. But unfortunately the console sales will really depend how good the online is.

They really need to make big money from this in the Arcade market.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
kdash7 said:
I agree. But the netcode has to be decent this time around. Atleast SFIV decent. We already know this will be a complete next gen King of Figthers, SNKP doesnt have a choice. But unfortunately the console sales will really depend how good the online is.

They really need to make big money from this in the Arcade market.

Since we're so used to using sales data to gauge success here in the states, how would we get any data as to how KoFXIII is performing at arcades? Is that sort of information readily available?

Fersis

Oh god sales age, im bailing out!

* Jumps out of the moving train*

EDIT: But yeah, sales are important. :(

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
dragonflys545 said:
I kinda wish they bring the USA team back. I liked playing lucky.:D

I'd love to see Heavy D! myself. I think the whole sports team was pretty cool in 98UM, even Brian was ok.

Lucky's fireball zoning would be interesting in widescreen, and I wonder what new tricks they'd give him... imagine if he got some kinda "dribbling" stance, where he could make defensive jukes + throw the ball in unique ways, rebounding it off of opponents faces, and throwing it over his shoulder at them, as he dashes backwards...

...Man, now I'd actually like to see that in action! :lol

And remember, Lucky is the richest man in fighters, because he has a personal sattelite that tosses him B-balls from orbit.

If they dropped Brian, and added a black/latino girl to the American team, I'm sure they'd become s fan fav in no time. Make her a step team member, jump rope, or a cheerleader or something...

(sadly, this will probably never happen :( )

SAB CA said:
And remember, Lucky is the richest man in fighters, because he has a personal sattelite that tosses him B-balls from orbit.

I haven't played with them in a minute, but please tell me that this really was the explanation for his basketball supply :lol :lol Sean from SF3 probably pays him for his, too

Top Bottom