• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

AdawgDaFAB said:
Yuri basically seems like CvS2 Yuri with an added dive kick command move and without the Chou Uppa, Double, Yuri Chou Reppa. I hope she gets the Uppa back before the games release because that is an important part of her gameplay.

Those were key moves for her , CvS 2 yuri sucks compare to XI yuri.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
the_log_ride said:
I haven't played with them in a minute, but please tell me that this really was the explanation for his basketball supply :lol :lol Sean from SF3 probably pays him for his, too

It was something I read on a forum years ago, that I personally have decided makes 100% sense. Especially since his "Finger point of doom" super PROVES that he has the ability to call orbital cannon shots instantaneously to any position he gestures to.

Richest. Fighter. Ever. He lets Robert and Ken pretend, because his net worth makes Bill Gates look like a Hobo! He's buds with Sean, which is why Sean never got arrested for causing that vehicle accident in his stage in 2nd Impact.

SAB CA said:
It was something I read on a forum years ago, that I personally have decided makes 100% sense. Especially since his "Finger point of doom" super PROVES that he has the ability to call orbital cannon shots instantaneously to any position he gestures to.

Richest. Fighter. Ever. He lets Robert and Ken pretend, because his net worth makes Bill Gates look like a Hobo! He's buds with Sean, which is why Sean never got arrested for causing that vehicle accident in his stage in 2nd Impact.

HOLY SHIT THAT'S HILARIOUS :lol :lol

Ferrio

Banned
SAB CA said:
even Brian was ok.

I liked Brian just to do d,db,b,ub+k I think. Just UFO him around the stage and laugh my ass off.

If they dropped Brian, and added a black/latino girl to the American team, I'm sure they'd become s fan fav in no time. Make her a step team member, jump rope, or a cheerleader or something...

Tiger Woods knockoff. Complete with bunch of women in his intro.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
the_log_ride said:
HOLY SHIT THAT'S HILARIOUS :lol :lol

:D

Ferrio said:
I liked Brian just to do d,db,b,ub+k I think. Just UFO him around the stage and laugh my ass off.

I never figured how all that flying looked like Football... but it was memorable. That kinda stupidity always ensured that he'd be messed around with in casual play!

And a Tiger Woods Knockoff like that... Well, he'd naturally have to steal some of Mr. Big's harem! Rival Matchup waiting to happen!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
GuardianE said:
Since we're so used to using sales data to gauge success here in the states, how would we get any data as to how KoFXIII is performing at arcades? Is that sort of information readily available?

Arcadia rankings? There is Japanese arcade data avaliable. SFIV usually places in the middle of the top 10 on it. BBCS and Tekken 6 are the two best selling fighters in general right now, plus your loli game of the month.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Yuri basically seems like CvS2 Yuri with an added dive kick command move and without the Chou Uppa, Double, Yuri Chou Reppa. I hope she gets the Uppa back before the games release because that is an important part of her gameplay.

If her Saiha is good, she'll be alright without the Uppa. It looks like ir is, her slap is fast, but she shoulld have full screen projectiles if no upper. 98 EX Yuri was a pain and a pest though.

Grzi

ReXXXSoprano said:

Rose Bernstein at the beginning confirmed.
There's still hope for Adelheid to be in the game.

Adelheid_Bernstein.jpg

GENOCIDE CUTTER! BELIEVE!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Grzi said:
Rose Bernstein at the beginning confirmed.
There's still hope for Adelheid to be in the game.

-image of "Heidi" here-

GENOCIDE CUTTER! BELIEVE!

Adel already had a pretty wussy looking face ingame, so he'd fit right in with the "Moe Blob" look that so many hate for all the girls! Thus, he'd probably end up like Kensou.

Plus, I'd love to see how Mature (and possibly Vice) would react to their former employer's son being so not-homicidally-insane.

I think there is a strong chance Adel and Rose are in XIII. Even if they aren't playable / sub-boss characters, story wise I am expecting Rose and Adel to be important in this since it is wrapping up the Ash story and they had the whole deal with Rose being controlled by Botan.

SAB CA said:
Adel already had a pretty wussy looking face ingame, so he'd fit right in with the "Moe Blob" look that so many hate for all the girls! Thus, he'd probably end up like Kensou.
QUOTE]

"Moe Blob" love it!:lol
The only mid-boss I wish to see return is the one from 11. She (he?) had crazy awesome animation.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
robut said:
"Moe Blob" love it!:lol
The only mid-boss I wish to see return is the one from 11. She (he?) had crazy awesome animation.

I don't mind the style, but it's a fitting description, lol.

And yes, Shion. I really liked Shion... as a girl. As a female, that's a strong, confident, interesting character. As a man... meh. The man had HIPS! And "nice" legs! IT MAKES NO SENSE!

(Insert "sense in fighters? What you smokin'?!" line here, with some "people are throwing fireballs!" rhetoric for good measure...)

Best/Worse thing about KoF: It's REALLY hard to decide if you want to see Old faces return, New faces, or old faces who are so refined, that they might as well be new! I love this about the games though; it's great actually seeing characters change enough so as where you can say "I might of hated them before, but they actually are perfect for me now!"

GrayFoxPL

Ferrio said:

Brian was hilarious. I never understood why USA team were only in 2 games in the series (Not counting UM). Pretty wierd not to reuse them.

Fighter golfer is an awesome idea actually. Prove me wrong but it could be even original idea for a fighter concept. I don't think it was ever used.

Cheerleader is an awful idea but more in lines of Japanese tastes. But fuck, no cheerleaders please!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A Cheerleader wouldn't be my pref either, (I'd like to see such a girl with a serious martial art, or, like the rest of the sports team, a sport that gets turned into a great martial art), but I'd take it, if it let us have a non-asian (or Faux-asian wannabe) new female character added.

And part of the Sports Team charm is that they take generic, wacky stuff (except boxing) and make it into something COOL! (except Brian! XD)

I have to say though, these new KOFs don't have a lot (other than high res images and bgs) of changes that impress me personally. I was fine with how Chin and Kensou were before and I hate how Ralf, Clark and Ryo now look. Not to mention the nerfed move sets (Terry with no power dunk, Ralf and Clark being interchangeable). Add to that the "Moe Blob" thing for the girls (and yeah, I like cutesy girls too, like Momoko but not these weird ass things). I'll probably being called a Capcom banana rider or whatever but I was way more impressed with the jump from regular KOF sprites to the CvsSNK series of sprites. To me, the new KOF sprites look a lot like those just in HD. I hope SNK can recapture something of their former glory and this looks like a step in the right direction (gameplay looks fast and fun for 13). I'll be getting this and 02UM day 1 for sure, was playing a lot of 98UM last night:lol

AdawgDaFAB said:

That's super over complicating it. Her and King are cut and paste from AoF2 except for that QCB+B move that everybody had and how their motions are the KOF versions. If King's Suprise Rose had a DB in it then it would be the same exact motion from AoF2. And Mai is from FF2/Special with just standard KOF motions. I even booted up the AoF/FFBA1 just to double check. It's official, THE HYPE GROWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S: SNK, Yuri needs the Athena treatment. Always saw her as a thick girl. Hook me up!!!!!

GrayFoxPL said:
Cheerleader is an awful idea but more in lines of Japanese tastes. But fuck, no cheerleaders please!

SAB CA said:
A Cheerleader wouldn't be my pref either, (I'd like to see such a girl with a serious martial art, or, like the rest of the sports team, a sport that gets turned into a great martial art), but I'd take it, if it let us have a non-asian (or Faux-asian wannabe) new female character added.

Kisarah "Kissy Kissy" Westfield and Carol Stanzack would like a word with you. Thank You.

orioto

Good Art™
SAB CA, how can it be 1x1 scaling if it's not two time bigger, i don't get that...

They consciously choose to make a game in pixel art, just to make it sooo long to do and crappy for every people less than 30 years old, BUT, they screw their own job by zooming on it. That's what i never understood in first place.

GrayFoxPL

SAB CA said:

And part of the Sports Team charm is that they take generic, wacky stuff (except boxing) and make it into something COOL! (except Brian! XD)

Yeah. They could take it to new levels. Bowling, darts And my personal favorite: Chess fighter! He'd thrown figures around and he'd shout chess lingo and fameus moves during specials and supers. His HDM would be "Deep Blue death." :lol

That Yuri cloth rip must be untrue :(. Watched videos and she was finished with geyzer among others and nothing happened.

AdawgDaFAB said:
I never liked the AoF games so I wouldn't have known that. CvS 2 was the first thing I thought of when I saw her moveset.

And nothing wrong with that. But there's also nothing wrong with exploring your history either. It makes you appreciate the little stuff a bit more. And that's why my hype is so high. I've played all those games and it's real cool to see how KoF has evolved over the last 16 years. You and anybody who hasn't owes it to themselves if just for a little while to experience the wealth of the SNK library. And for someone who's done just that, I don't regret it a bit.

GrayFoxPL said:
That Yuri cloth rip must be untrue :(. Watched videos and she was finished with geyzer among others and nothing happened.

I've yet to see a Yuri vid where she's the last in a team rotation and that took place. That's probably how it works for her and King because that's how it worked in AoF2.

Wow just saw some of the new footage. LOVE that "Super KO" effect. Game really looks great. The presentation doesn't have that "Plain High Def" look XII had.

It's a shame the return of the AoF clothes rip doesn't seem true (but then, it's a beta, you never know). Like Mai, a little bit of extra fanservice would've helped obtain a few more sales amongst the "DOA crowd". Perverts aside, it's also a feature unique to fighters and would also be a nice throwback to older KoFs.

EDIT: Since there's a bunch of comparisons with AoF2 and CVS Yuri, I wonder if her "secret" winpose is hidden in XII somewhere. Doubtful, but just a thought.

So i bought kof12 because i wanted nostalgia to sweep over me and my god! what have they done to my Iori and kyo? They have made them completely useless!

ReXXXSoprano said:
And nothing wrong with that. But there's also nothing wrong with exploring your history either. It makes you appreciate the little stuff a bit more. And that's why my hype is so high. I've played all those games and it's real cool to see how KoF has evolved over the last 16 years. You and anybody who hasn't owes it to themselves if just for a little while to experience the wealth of the SNK library. And for someone who's done just that, I don't regret it a bit.

Oh I've done just that. I have played every single AoF, FF, and KoF game at least once. Just the ones I didn't like (such as AoF series) I played very very briefly. I love me some Real Bout series tho, I go back and play that regularly.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
orioto said:
SAB CA, how can it be 1x1 scaling if it's not two time bigger, i don't get that...

They consciously choose to make a game in pixel art, just to make it sooo long to do and crappy for every people less than 30 years old, BUT, they screw their own job by zooming on it. That's what i never understood in first place.

I mean 1 x 1 as in, if you see 1 pixel in it's native resolution, it looks like 1 (bigger) pixel, at the new resolution. 1 pixel at actual res looks like 1 pixel block in blown up res.

I wish people would just forget about "high resolution" myself, and we could just have a really awesome looking 640 by 480 game, lol. KoF XII on SD looks like a generation leap over SFIII in pixel resolution, but that's all compromised when viewed on an HDTV. But I can't help but respect theif efforts.

I'm sure they'd LOVE to do actual 720p characters, but really, imagine how much more work that'd be, pixel art wise? 4x more work, at least, per frame? SNKP decided to up the res as high as they could, and maintain (and even extend) the animation quality to levels beyond old KoF.

It's like EVERY other artist going to Photoshop, or Painter, even when you still like traditional media. Even though real paints don't have the scaleability, ease of use, and modern acceptance of Photoshop/Painter, there's much to be said for one who continues to work the classic crafts. The texture of the paper (comparable to pixel gradients) the ability to get better and simplier line flows (which is now debateable with such HQ pc tablets now), some things are just more natural to specific media.

GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah. They could take it to new levels. Bowling, darts And my personal favorite: Chess fighter! He'd thrown figures around and he'd shout chess lingo and fameus moves during specials and supers. His HDM would be "Deep Blue death." :lol

If anyone could pull it off, it'd be SNKP! And yeah, I think the "special finish" mention earlier was just about the screen flashing red after the final knockdowns.

Plaguefox said:
I'm confused. Maybe you can help.

Looking at jett's XII image, the background is a mess for some reason. I don't know what to make of that at all. But since you and jett are both talking about the characters specifically, I think it's moot.

As for the character sprite, I do not see any extraneous pixel lines added in the scaling; it looks like it's exactly 2:1. Every pixel I can see is comprised of four pixel squares. Equivalent of nearest neighbor 200% resizing. If I had to have zooming in my game, I'd want the zoom to start at 1:1 and end at 2:1 without any bilinear or bicubic filter applied. That seems to be what's going on here.

So basically I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that the linework is compromised, or that the scaling is anything more or less than 200% of the original size (which would result in the extra pixels).

What I'm referring is to the fact that KoF XII's sprites where constantly scaled and changed. It never stayed a straight "2x" or "1x", as characters moved between these zooms, you could see that odd pixel doubling shimmer on details. This oftentimes made the details get kinda messy on those frames.

XIII seems to do a better job at overall upscaling, so far, from what I see. In XII's screenshots, often times, I'd see some pics where the edges looked muddy, like there was no way that was the crispness SNKP was going for. I've seen much less of that with screens of XIII; The pixel work still looks preserved in each frame, no awkward losses.

When I hear "Filter" I think about things like the Sal and Creed and Eagle stuff you see in emulators. They smear gradients into painterly colors, they make fine linework like eyebrows and mouths dissapear, and they make elements of the characters blend together, so that they look like a mess. When I think "Upscale" I think of pixel art that looks the same in HD as it did on my old 13 inch SD TV. Mouths don't get all funny looking, the same detail lines look just like they used to, and I don't see any awkward 1shimmerin of pixel that are 1 block in 1 frame, and then 2 blocks in the next.

I've always though of "filters" to have a more negative connotation when it came to sprites, than "upscale" anywho. If this is true or not, really matters by the individual, lol, but I didn't want the impression of the game, at this early state to make people think of, say, the crappy filterwork Backbone uses on their Genesis/Arcade ports on XBLA, because nothing I see in these screens of XIII is that poorly implimented.

Of course, alot of this could all be due to the filters the screenshots had on, the size of the screenshots, and if they where resized, what each of us is used to looking at in our KoFs, your TVs, etc.

But I promised I wouldn't go onto this topic again! :D

Sorry to all those who don't wanna see this ranting again! ^_^;

ReXXXSoprano said:
Kisarah "Kissy Kissy" Westfield and Carol Stanzack would like a word with you. Thank You.

I really like Kisarah in NGBC. Carol, though... she threw that silly medicine ball, right? I wouldn't consider Kisarah to be much of a Cheerleader though... she just seems like a prissy (fun to play!) schoolgirl, with a few athletic splits and vaults.

If SNKP did have a black/latino girl, I wonder what star they'd base her off of? Everyone goes for that Halle Berry Storm look and lighter skin, which would be OK, but Imagine a character bassed around someone like Gabriell Union, Rosario Dawson, or someone more zany, like Cree Summer's character Freddie in "A Different World"...

AdawgDaFAB said:
Oh I've done just that. I have played every single AoF, FF, and KoF game at least once. Just the ones I didn't like (such as AoF series) I played very very briefly. I love me some Real Bout series tho, I go back and play that regularly.

art of fighting 2 was really nice. i would say its better than all fatal fury games

Seeing the new screens, it looks like SNK Playmore learned their lesson and is giving fans what they want.

King, Yuri, and Mai are now in it, which is good.

Hope they also bring B. Jenet, Blue Mary, May Lee, Whip, and Vanessa! :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Plaguefox said:
Okay! There we go. Specifying the frames between the initial zoom and the final zoom lets me know you weren't just talking about the pictures. That's reassuring, because it means I'm not going blind. The frames in-between are certainly going to look poor if they're being straight pixel-scaled without any bilinear / whatever filtering.

-nod-

Those are filters, yep! But so are "bilinear filtering" and "bicubic filtering". The XIII screenshot is employing one of the two, but I can't tell which.

I think I file my outlook of it under "Bad photoshop Habits", :lol . Bilinear and Bicubic are scaling methods! They're not graphic filters! (Stubborn graphic program silliness). For the sake of this argument, of course, you're quite right!

You and I sir probably consider this just as important as aspects like music, overall visual tone, and character selection. I'd hate if you shut up just because you felt it was too specific and geeky! Besides, anyone interested in visual fidelity in the character art are going to be interested if they know what's going on behind the scenes. Especially if the game developers make bad decisions on when to use what filtering!

I'm always happy when someone else cares about these things along with me ^_^ I know it's annoying for some, too, to see a "wall of text" that has nothing to do with character balances and changes though, lol. So I'll try to keep it to a minimum more often, is all.

*insert nicely done upscaling of my Guardian Heroes Knight here*
My take:

Straight pixel upscaling ("NN") works beautifully for anything scaled 2:1. Since it's 200% the original size, each square of the original art is given four pixels. That's marvelous. I love it. But for odd situations, like when each pixel is given 1.75 pixels to fill, everything slides to its nearest pixel neighbor, which creates that ugly "samurai shodown" design.

Bilinear filtered stuff ("BL") is a wonderful solution for the odd scale ratios, like 1.75:1, as it avoids the visual artifacts present before (which I sadly don't know the name of). Of course, because everything's still raster, it has to do this by blending pixels together all over the place, which gives that blurry look that jett doesn't like. Since it's a far cry better than unfiltered pixel upscaling in many, many cases (anything not a power of two) people assume it's the better option even for powers of two. No! Look at how the 2:1 results compare.

So here's where I stand on it: The game should employ its bilinear filter (or equivalent) where ever its zoom is not by a power of two. But whenever the engine is rendering a sprite at 2, 4, 8, or 16 times its native resolution, it should not use that filter.

Well illustrated! I wanted to do something similiar all day, but I think yours turned out better anyhow!

I agree with your point as well, and I'd love to see it all change and evolve as we get closer to release (heck, there's probably a few arcade dipswitches for it, even.) Whatever they're using now, though, I think it a decent marriage between representing the pixel art fairly well, and making it easier on the eyes of the casual observer. It'd be great to have a "per situation" filter method with such options, to make it look exactly as you want it on your setup, and to work with different output resolutions.

That would be SUCH a great thing to include in a console release.

GrayFoxPL said:

You image comes up broken, thanks to being on angelfire. But... lol. Since her reveal, you don't know how many times I've thought about that, heh. It she tossed out a weaponized bra every 300 throws of something, I'm sure you'd win a few bouts just due to the "WTH!?!" distraction factor.

Frankfurt

Banned
arstal said:
Arcadia rankings?

Amusement Journal, too.

They're even better on the long run, as they have "most profitable arcade machines" awards. Look at who's number two in 2003:

http://www.am-j.co.jp/column/2003award/video.html

And number 4 in 2002:

http://www.am-j.co.jp/column/2002award/video.html

FOr just a month's info, Arcadia's better, though.

AdawgDaFAB said:
I think there is a strong chance Adel and Rose are in XIII. Even if they aren't playable / sub-boss characters, story wise I am expecting Rose and Adel to be important in this since it is wrapping up the Ash story and they had the whole deal with Rose being controlled by Botan.

Rose is in the intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xipzx0m8gA

kdash7

GuardianE said:
Since we're so used to using sales data to gauge success here in the states, how would we get any data as to how KoFXIII is performing at arcades? Is that sort of information readily available?

I have no idea about that sorry :lol

SNKP just keep KOF alive!!!!

Elan tedronai said:
art of fighting 2 was really nice. i would say its better than all fatal fury games

IDK I just can't get into any of the AoF games. Tried playing AoF 2 just now and I'm just not feeling it. KoF 02, MotW, Real Bout series, KoF 98, Rage of the Dragons, Power Instinct Matrimelee, and Waku Waku 7 are my fav NeoGeo fighting games.

Frankfurt said:

I know, that is why I commented on the two of them. I'm just hoping you get to face off against them. Adel has proven himself as a boss already, but Botan controlled Rose would be cool.

jett

D-Member
Plaguefox said:

Thanks for this image, I finally understand SAB CA's point of view. :p Yes that looks quite hideous in 1.75:1, and it's indeed how the effect appeared in Samurai Showdown...but I didn't notice in KOFXII...maybe I should check out the demo again. :p

With the constant zoom-in gone and the upscale ratio not being 2X in KOFXIII I can see why they chose to filter the upscaling. Oh wells.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Yay! I'm not the only one. I used to love using Tiffany and Roy in Project Justice.
They were the first characters I started using when I first got into the series so they bring back good memories.

But the Rival Schools series has a very strong roster of characters, so there is no one I really dislike. (Except maybe Kurow...)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
jett said:
Thanks for this image, I finally understand SAB CA's point of view. :p Yes that looks quite hideous in 1.75:1, and it's indeed how the effect appeared in Samurai Showdown...but I didn't notice in KOFXII...maybe I should check out the demo again. :p

With the constant zoom-in gone and the upscale ratio not being 2X in KOFXIII I can see why they chose to filter the upscaling. Oh wells.

Guess all we needed was a visual aid, eh? :D Though I admit my personal terminology didn't help either.

Here's to hoping for a plethora of graphic options! Those people who can't see the art of pixels shouldn't force vaseline filters, or degenerative pixel shapes, on those who can appreciate the art!

BONUS! Beat By Edit: Man, all those people playing and we don't have one video of Terry actually LANDING a Buster Wolf? No vids of Clark's Gattling combo, or Elizabeth landing her uppercut dash? There has to be more out there... though at least we have 2 more days of loketest...

jett

D-Member
SAB CA said:
Guess all we needed was a visual aid, eh? :D Though I admit my personal terminology didn't help either.

Here's to hoping for a plethora of graphic options! Those people who can't see the art of pixels shouldn't force vaseline filters, or degenerative pixel shapes, on those who can appreciate the art!

p.s. trying out the KOFXII demo I see now how they do it there: most of the time the sprites are at 2X resolution, in that case they are unfiltered and look just fine. Whenever there is zooming in or out a blur filter kicks in.

I seriously think KOFXII is an awesome looking game I don't understand why people had a problem with the sprite resolution. :|

orioto

Good Art™
Unfortunately, we're debating about how should they managed the 1.75 zoom problem, but there shouldn't be this problem in first place !!!

That's what bugs me so much. When they decided on what they were going to do, why did they choose this resolution, and the pixel art, knowing that they would have to cheat after that ? I mean why choosing the really complicated and time consuming way if it's not even the best to achieve your goal...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
jett said:
p.s. trying out the KOFXII demo I see now how they do it there: most of the time the sprites are at 2X resolution, in that case they are unfiltered and look just fine. Whenever there is zooming in or out a blur filter kicks in.

I seriously think KOFXII is an awesome looking game I don't understand why people had a problem with the sprite resolution. :|

Because Blazblue has smaller looking blocks -_-; They see what XII natively looks like, and reguardless of how sharp and animated and colorful the backgrounds are, or how much better the characters animate, they still think it looks like, say, mode 7 special effects on SNES.

XIII's generally-fixed camera and slight bluriness should look more like a Blazblue sprite to those types.

panda21 said:
i'd rather have the nasty pixels version than the filtered one, even at 1.75

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with 2x NN (Nearest Neighbor) at all. It'll probably be an option in the console release. But the 1.75 NN thing... that's really undesirable by Pixel standards, no commericial company should go down that path if they know how to do better!

orioto said:
Unfortunately, we're debating about how should they managed the 1.75 zoom problem, but there shouldn't be this problem in first place !!!

That's what bugs me so much. When they decided on what they were going to do, why did they choose this resolution, and the pixel art, knowing that they would have to cheat after that ? I mean why choosing the really complicated and time consuming way if it's not even the best to achieve your goal...

I... don't understand, lol. How would they make the game look like old school, shaded KOF without using pixel work? Do you think they could have gotten the look they wanted with vector art?

You can tell with the dot gallery, how much they love the pixel art form, and that bringing THAT style of art into the next gen (or near it! heh) was one of their purposes. It's a stupid labor of love, they actually WANT to do that kind of art, it's NOT the cheapest, the smartest, or the most efficient, but as artist, they wanted it.

As I've mentioned before, SNK is made out of a bunch of dorky fanboys of oldschool stuff. It's throughout all their decisions; character names, moves, game themes, the liscenses they worked with back in the day, everything. Using pixel art is their way of saying "we don't care what the world thinks, this is what WE want!". Using filtering and upscaling is their small way of conceeding "but we still have to make money, so lets find a medium between our style, and the publics desires!"

jett

D-Member
orioto said:

KOFXII had it right. It works fine for the game, as the sprites are at 2X resolution most of the time. It does not work fine for KOFXIII.

And why they went for SD-resolution sprites I guess budgetary issues obviously. :p I guess they didn't have the staff required or the money to make something with SF4-caliber graphics either.

orioto

Good Art™
SAB CA said:
I... don't understand, lol. How would they make the game look like old school, shaded KOF without using pixel work? Do you think they could have gotten the look they wanted with vector art?

You can tell with the dot gallery, how much they love the pixel art form, and that bringing THAT style of art into the next gen (or near it! heh) was one of their purposes. It's a stupid labor of love, they actually WANT to do that kind of art, it's NOT the cheapest, the smartest, or the most efficient, but as artist, they wanted it.

I get that but in the end, it's not "pure" pixel art neither, cause they used models to do it and they had to filter it. And especially, if they wanted something that pleased retro people, they should have stay low res. But the spent an huge amount of time to do something that is dated since the beginning..

In the end it's not totally the pixel artist paradise (for me it will stay Third Strike or Mark of the Wolves), but it's still absolutely not what would need the mainstream market to accept the game, so.....

Top Bottom