• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Gunloc said:
I know, though they wouldn't have to redo the whole character. It's just an idea I think would be cool.

Unfortunately they would probably have to redo the whole character if you wanted King to wear her jacket for example, they'd have to animate the jacket moving and the lighting and such. It wouldn't take as long as usual, because the 3D models are already made, but they'd have to re-draw her top half for all the frames. Future DLC maybe?

GrayFoxPL

Gunloc said:
I know, though they wouldn't have to redo the whole character. It's just an idea I think would be cool.

It would still need shitload of man hours to remove and add detail on thousand frames.

The only dead end limitation with 2d fighters. 3d made it so simple I sometimes forget about it.
BTW. Flame me all you want but I thought most of the alternative outfits in Maximum Impact 1 were ingenius. I don't get the major hate on Iori alternative too.

CcrooK said:
Alrighty. More hype avatars. Still got the rest of the cast to do but here's what I got so far. Take what you want. Rehost please!

b55kcy.jpg

Well since King's taken and Leona's been dibbed, I'll grab the other member of my team!

jett

D-Member
GrayFoxPL said:
It would still need shitload of man hours to remove and add detail on thousand frames.

The only dead end limitation with 2d fighters. 3d made it so simple I sometimes forget about it.
BTW. Flame me all you want but I thought most of the alternative outfits in Maximum Impact 1 were ingenius. I don't get the major hate on Iori alternative too.

3D made it simple to everyone but the cocksuckers at Capcom apparently, who see fit to charge us for additional costumes. :p

GrayFoxPL said:

Never played MI1 I love MI2 and, even more so, MIRA. I'm sad MI3 got canceled. A: They left on a story cliffhanger w/ the whole twins deal and B: I was really hoping to one day see Andy, Joe, Benimaru, Robert and Yamazaki in the series. My 3 fav Another Models were Iori, Kula, and Leona.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Waiting to see if it's Billy, or probably Hwa with Kim and Raiden before deciding.

Still hoping Billy, who at least is popular.

Locals: (anyone but Billy - he puts up to sleep, gimme 2p Duck) They were all about the 2p Duck glitch in XI (1 frame quicker crouching jab, which opened up some BS)

Another nice tidbit- 2 button throws are gone, back to real KOF style. This game will deserve to be Sirlinista approved.

zlatko

Banned
Whoever thought this game was coming out in 2011 to consoles is dead wrong according to 1up.com

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178520

The arcade version is coming this summer and apparently the console release will follow very shortly after. I don't know how good or bad of a thing this is. I'm all for getting KoF13 this year and the sooner the better...but I don't want another KoF12 online net code and lack of all around content. If it does come out sometime this summer on consoles or in the fall then it almost seems like completely new characters just for the console version will not happen. I'm very skeptical at this point if much content could be added in if there was a short release window after the arcade version UNLESS the two are being worked on hand in hand in some manner.

What do you guys think? Excited that you might get it in a few months or bummed out that it could be a rush job ?

zlatko said:
What do you guys think? Excited that you might get it in a few months or bummed out that it could be a rush job ?

In all honesty given the severity of how well this game has to do in the market its quite a tough call to gauge. On one hand yes I'm pleased that a superior product compared to the last is coming. However, as you've said I'm worried that we may get something lacking. Honestly we'll have to see but I hope all the feedback we gave ignition and what they received from fans at home was taking into serious consideration. I.E that netcode better not be ok but good etc, etc.

Frankfurt

Banned
G4 had a blurb about Mai in XIII.

And people say Mai didn't matter. :lol

zlatko said:

If the console release is close to arcade release, the arcade operators will just ignore the game once again.

tzare

zlatko said:
Whoever thought this game was coming out in 2011 to consoles is dead wrong according to 1up.com

The arcade version is coming this summer and apparently the console release will follow very shortly after. I don't know how good or bad of a thing this is. I'm all for getting KoF13 this year and the sooner the better...but I don't want another KoF12 online net code and lack of all around content. If it does come out sometime this summer on consoles or in the fall then it almost seems like completely new characters just for the console version will not happen. I'm very skeptical at this point if much content could be added in if there was a short release window after the arcade version UNLESS the two are being worked on hand in hand in some manner.

for me it is a must that console version is released short after arcade version, it gains momentum. Also, on actual consoles, games can be patched if arcade version is patched too.

Also netcode is something they can have been working (or buying GGPO services) for more than a year so hopefully they won't make more mistakes.
As for new characters, i think the rooster is solid enough so if the game delivers, they can add more characters via DLC this time.

As long as they polish it up and work out ALL the glitches this time, and have learned from XII how NOT to do netcode, then I'm happy they're putting it out so quickly. Really, they have to put it out quick and start making money off it, lest we forget SNK are more or less broke thanks to this development process.

Frankfurt

Banned
Quick console release = arcade operators have no reason to buy the game.

Unless it's a Tekken 5 case where you can bring your PS2 controller to the arcade machine, it just doesn't work. 2D KOF has always been far more popular in arcades than at home.

tzare

Frankfurt said:

Unless it's a Tekken 5 case where you can bring your PS2 controller to the arcade machine, it just doesn't work. 2D KOF has always been far more popular in arcades than at home.
yeah, but that would be for japan, so they could release a console version in US/Europe and launch Japanese one later on

GhaleonQ

tzare said:
yeah, but that would be for japan, so they could release a console version in US/Europe and launch Japanese one later on

But Playstation 3s are region-free, and the obsessives would jump at the chance.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
zlatko said:

Yes!!! As long as the core gameplay is good I'm buying it screw the netcode..playing fighting games online is still :lol to me (unless it's as good as blazblue but I wouldn't hold my breath...)
The only reason I didn't buy KOF 12 was because my team wasn't it in (and no Mai no buy)

KOF 13 and Blaz CS..Another great year for fighting games :D

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
CcrooK said:
Alrighty. More hype avatars. Still got the rest of the cast to do but here's what I got so far. Take what you want. Rehost please!

2a7cutw.jpg
t7jqiv.jpg
35ivul2.jpg
eu4tnl.jpg
168wiys.jpg
70kv8x.jpg
5a51ec.jpg
j6muf6.jpg
b55kcy.jpg
rawbc8.jpg
21azrfb.jpg
8ys4fn.jpg
I call dibs on the blue haired girl. :D

Anyways, why is the console port coming out so quickly? Namco did the same thing with Tekken 5, and cannibalized the arcade scene for the game. Give it at least six months, SNKP, so you can work on the online, sheesh.

zlatko

Banned
Well SNK will kind of get lucky on at least 5+ sales with KoF13. I was smart enough not to go out convincing buddies to get KoF12 when it dropped and I got it day one. I just didn't bring it up lol, but this time around good net code or not I'm telling a few buddies to grab KoF13 so I at least have some people to play online with, unlike KoF12 which was a ghost town about 2 weeks into it. :lol

As for the hot tub time machine that movie was hilarious. :lol

LowParry

And here's the rest of the cast. When they release new characters in the future, I'll make those out, but in the mean time, this will be it. Remember to rehost! I will keep them up for about a week or two, then will take them down. Hype it! Feel it!

516hqf.jpg
152lyee.jpg
2m4zvwg.jpg
fk4sau.jpg
2wqabkl.jpg

25qrix0.jpg
10wijw9.jpg
iq91c5.jpg
1zh16ad.jpg
ou2kgw.jpg

Skilletor

Frankfurt said:

Why do people still think this even though we have proof to the contrary?

A console release means very little to the arcade scene in Japan. They're still playing vanilla SF4 and T6, aren't they?

Finaika

mujun said:
Any word on Sie, fireball? Air special? Crouching HK?
Kensou can now throw his normal fireballs.

Gunloc said:
So what are all the costume variations that have been confirmed so far?

I've heard of shirtless Benimaru & Raiden and I just saw a video where it seems like there are outfits for Yuri without the tights.
I just saw Raiden with a color scheme that made him look like Venom from Marvel :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Skilletor said:

A console release means very little to the arcade scene in Japan. They're still playing vanilla SF4 and T6, aren't they?

Both of which were released on consoles WELL after they had time in the arcades. Keep up. Of course, now SSF4 may not get an arcade release and if it does, what arcade owner will buy it since the console release is so close? This may not be so important for SF4 (SSF4 will sell less though) but for SNK, arcade revenue will be very important.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Translation of Exaustive Changelist from Japan.
Original Source: http://kakuge.info/d/t/kof13.htm
Translation Source: http://orochinagi.com/2010/03/kof-xiii-report-japan

KOF XIII: Report from Japan
System notes:
CHANGES FROM THE PREVIOUS VERSION
=================================

GRAPHICS
- Characters are smaller and it’s easier to see the full screen.
- As of now there aren’t any stages that make it hard to see the characters.

SYSTEM
- All KOFXII systems (CC, sousai, guard attack) have been removed
- Backstep probably can’t be shortened either.
- Throws are back to lever + button motion
- Kara cancels are possible again.

GAME SYSTEM
===========
8- way lever + 4 buttons.

COUNTER HITS
Counter hits have a blue effect when they occur, similar to KOFXII but the effect isn’t the same.
A few counter hit animations are like KOFXII but the window is short, sort of like the interval between dashing and doing a strong attack.

GUARD CRUSH
Guard meter under the lifebar, your guard drops when it becomes empty. However at the current time it seems to recover much faster than it’s lost, so there haven’t been that many guard crushes seen. On top of that it looks like the guard crush window is very tight so it’s very hard to take advantage of it. Wondering if drive attacks will have a bigger effect on the guard meter.

GUARD CANCEL
Revived from older games. Costs 1 power stock. Does damage, but not possible to KO with it.

STUN
This has also returned. However unlike XI there’s no visible stun meter so it’s not possible to know when it’s going to happen.

POWER GAUGES
Return of multiple power stocks. You get one additional stock per team member that you lose (much like earlier games). Feels like they charge up faster than in previous games.

EX SPECIAL MOVES/DESPERATION MOVES
Use 1 stock to do powered up specials or DMs. The powering up depends on the move – might be more damage, invincibility, etc.
EX specials have a blue shadow sort of effect to them while EX DMs are red (versus yellow for regular DMs)

DRIVE GAUGE
Green gauge above the power gauge. The length increases by 50% every time you lose a character (so that the gauge is twice as long when you’re down to your last character). Fills up at about the same rate as the power gauge, so pretty quickly. However, whiffing special moves will not fill the drive gauge (although it still fills the power gauge).

DRIVE CANCEL
Can be used as soon as the drive gauge passes 50%, which means that on your last character it can be used up to four times.
You can cancel special moves as well as command moves that couldn’t normally be cancelled into other special moves and DMs.

HYPERDRIVE MODE
Press BC when the drive gauge is maxed out to activate. Your character will have a sort of hazy afterglow and will be able to do as many drive cancels as he wants. The gauge doesn’t fall faster if you do a cancel like in ‘02. However if you take any damage the mode ends.

Character-specific stuff:

ELISABETH (might be inaccurate since the author wasn’t familiar with Elisabeth in XII)
- More effects on her moves
- Regained dp+P and QCF,HCB+P
- QCF,HCB+P connects after dp+C
- dp+C has upper body invincibility. Low attacks beat it.
- EX QCFx2+P fires off ‘light bullets’ during the second half of the move. Probably can be beaten by guard cancel rolling.

DUO LON
- New move QCB+P. Fires off a haze that cancels fireballs (maybe the EX version only?). Looks like it has no hitbox…use it for mindgames?
- When his EX DM hits something that looks like a high-speed hurricane mixer (???) appears.
- Can’t cancel his QCF+Px3 into teleport without a drive cancel

SHEN WOO
- Far standing D has a new animation. A high kick with slow startup.
- Jump D crosses up easier
- QCF+C has slower startup and more lag. The EX version knocks the opponent away.
- EX QCB+A has more range and seemingly faster startup
- QCF+K has small range as usual but the EX version has more range
- QCFx2+P can probably be used the same was as it was in KOFXI. EX version is faster and has full-body invincibility – so much so you can use it as anti-air!
- C,A,B,C DM is present, but no headbutt (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)
- stand C, f+B, QCF+A DC QCF+K DC QCFx2+P is a combo, although this is the same combo that had some tough links in XII. Seems like poor use of the drive gauge (lol)
- It’d be nice if he could do anything from low attacks…

KYO
- Regained air d+C. Hard knockdown on an aerial opponents, long stun on grounded opponents. Can be used to cross up.
- Can still combo stand B -> dp+P. On the second hit of dp+P you can drive cancel to QCF+K and combo to Orochinagi (ouch!)
- QCF+P seems to have less lag?
- Gained mid-air Orochinagi. Voice clip is ‘Kore de kimeru ze!’
- Doesn’t seem to have changed much.
- Seems very strong.

BENIMARU
- Regained Benimaru Koreda (his command throw)
- Might have regained his air throw?

DAIMON
- Regained dp+K
- HCF+A somehow managed to grab a standing Shen. Was it always like that? Might be stronger in terms of priority.

IORI
- Gained a new command move df+C. Swings an arm downward as if he were hitting a stake. Hits mid.
- Regained his air b+B
- dp+P has more lag? EX version does two hits and floats the opponent.
- HCF+P doesn’t launch the opponent so high that he can’t be seen anymore

MATURE
- Don’t know much about her KOFXII version.
- Despair (dp+P), Death Row (QCB+Px2), Ebony Tears (QCF,HCB+P) and Metal Massacre (QCB+K) regained
(She has dp+P in KOFXII, but whatever)

TERRY
- Can’t cancel standing B. Tried to cancel into a command move and failed.
- far C cancellable
- crouch D can be cancelled into command moves
- far D has new animation. Looks like the KOFXI animation. Might be useful as an anti-air.
- jump D crosses up easier. (seems like this is the case with a lot of characters)
- df+C seems to have a bigger frontal hitbox
- f+A comes out slower
- Power Wave comes out slower but has less lag. EX version does 3 hits.
- B Crack Shoot is an overhead and does multiple hits. EX version might hit mid and has faster startup. Hard knockdown on counter hits against an airborne opponent.
- Burn Knuckle seems the same? EX version does multiple hits and makes the opponent fly upwards. Not sure if you can follow up afterwards.
- Rising Tackle has no change. EX version goes vertically straight up and does something like 25 hits (lol) and has fast startup.

ANDY
- Can’t brake Reppadan any more. Can still cross up with it, though.
- EX Zaneiken can move from one side of the screen to another
- EX Hishouken flies faster.
- EX Choureppadan is good enough to be used as an anti-air.

JOE
- Regained Ougon no Kakato (QCB+K). B version flies low while D version goes high, but neither has much lag.
- Regained Bakuretsu Hurricane Tiger Kakato. Can be connected from weak attacks.
- Slash Kick has more lag
- D Tiger Kick has a lower trajectory
- EX Hurricane Upper shoots 3 projectiles. Regular version has less lag?
- Sliding is a command move, and knocks down even when cancelled into. More lag?

KIM
- Regained mid-air Houou Kyaku.
- f,f+D is now done as f,f+A

RAIDEN
- Gained Super Drop Kick (hold K for ten seconds and release) and Crazy Train (QCFx2+P)
- Regular version of Giant Bomb has more lag? EX version knocks the opponent up.

ATHENA
- Psycho Ball has less lag. EX version does 3 hits and has ‘penetrating power’ (?? goes through other fireballs, maybe?)
- Regained Psychic Teleport. EX version included.
- Throw animation has changed. Athena teleports to diagonally above the opponent and throws them.

KENSOU
- Has normals from KOFXII but specials from his earlier versions.
- Regained Chokyuudan (fireball), Ryusogeki (air QCB+P) and QCF,HCB+P DM.
- Lost QCB+A, QCB+C from KOFXII
- Still has QCB+K from KOFXII.
- Pressing B+D makes him do his KOFXII backstep
- Ryuugakusai has its command reversed (rdp+K instead of dp+K…the way it used to be)

CHIN
- Didn’t see him much so no idea how he’s changed.

RYO
- far D is the same as close D. Maybe they’ll change this?
- far C cancellable
- jump D crosses up easier
- C Ko’ouken has more lag. EX version does 3 hits.
- EX Kohou does 3 hits. No idea if there’s any effect on invincibility.
- B Hienshippuukyaku is the same. D Hienshippuukyaku whiffs against crouchers. EX version is faster and resembles Takuma’s version of the move – it launches. Maybe you need to use a drive cancel to follow up?

ROBERT
- Can cancel his low attacks
- Has all his moves from KOFXII

RALF
- Regained air QCF+P.
- Vulcan Punch has more lag? Can’t connect a stand D after it anymore. Instead of that you can drive cancel to Galactica Phantom.

CLARK
- Regained Gatling Attack
- Still has his forward step move from XII

LEONA
- Regular V-slasher has been weakened.

MAI
- How to say this…she benefits a lot from the new system.
- Both A and C Ryuuenbu have low lag and can be followed up with stand A in the corner. If the opponent is in mid-air even stand C is possible.
- Musasabi no Mai is great for comboing in the corner. If you hit them near their feet (i.e. space it so that it hits them at the lower part of their hitbox) they shouldn’t be able to retaliate.
- Hissatsu Shinobi Bachi is fast enough to combo from light attacks, and is damaging.
- d.B -> B -> Hissatsu Shinobi Bachi DC Musasabi no Mai -> C Ryuuenbu -> Chou Hissatsu Shinobi Bachi is a combo.
- Kachousen has slower startup but less lag
- Jump CD felt a little too fast
- She has an air throw which can be used in combos.
- EX Chou Hissatsu Shinobi Bachi is invincible.

YURI
- Gained a new move, midair df+B which is very much like Yun/Yang’s Raigekishuu from 3S. She changes trajectory suddenly with no voice clip so it’s a bit startling.
- Raiohken has her jumping up to do the move again. Startup is slow. EX version shoots two fireballs.
- Can’t charge up Ko’ouken? Haohshokoken is a DM.
- Hyakuretsu Binta seems to have faster startup than usual.
- Not sure how effective her Saiha is
- Hien Hou’ou Kyaku connects from light attacks
- df+D isn’t on her movelist, nor did I see it, so it probably doesn’t combo from light attacks (lol)

KING
- Sliding is unsafe on block
- Gained a mid-air Venom Strike. Flies horizontally with unlimited range.
- Venom Strike is the same as it was. No high/low variations.
- Tornado Kick is the ‘95 version. Doesn’t seem to have any invincibility.
- DMs are Surprise Rose and Double Strike. Didn’t seem to have Illusion Dance.
- Surprise Rose can cross up as King dives. Can escape by rolling.

ASH
- Same old Guile clone (lol)
- A Ventose has so little lag that you can combo it into a sweep if you’re close enough (can’t remember if the XII version was just like that). C version is unchanged.
- EX version of Genie will make two flames appear on the screen. The locations probably depend on the two buttons you used to activate the EX version.
- Thermidor has faster startup, but only does 5 hits
- Sans-culotte has the same speed and lack of range. No other changes.

Kinda sad about Kensou myself, but probably not bad in the long run ^_^ Good to see his fireball+ air dive back, of course. Love what I hear of Elizabeth, she regains one of my fav things about here from XI.

As far as my feelings on the "Quick Console Release"... I'm conflicted. It's needed for America, since we have no arcade version in reach, but in Japan, I really think it should do the SBO thing, recieve fan feedback, get time to make adjustments that'll raise it's popularity, and then should get 2 or 3 console exclusive chara's, much like they did with Blue Mary's team back in KoF 97, was it?

The greedy side of me will of COURSE want to get to play it as soon as possible, but I also want the port to be done right. SNKP isn't know for being masters of doing quick turnaround "right", either, heh...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
arstal said:
How do you do EX specials?

For there to be two different kinds, it can't be AC or BD?

Everything I see sounds like most EX moves are just a "3rd" to the normal 2 variations of a move. Save for Ash (who could summon those fire bubbles with punches or kicks) I've only ever seen one mention of an ex version.

So sounds to me just like AC and BD, as you surmised.

That would also help explain why throws are back to a single button, woulda had overlap between EX attacks and throw command...

jett

D-Member
TERRY
- Can’t cancel standing B. Tried to cancel into a command move and failed.
- far C cancellable
- crouch D can be cancelled into command moves
- far D has new animation. Looks like the KOFXI animation. Might be useful as an anti-air.
- jump D crosses up easier. (seems like this is the case with a lot of characters)
- df+C seems to have a bigger frontal hitbox
- f+A comes out slower
- Power Wave comes out slower but has less lag. EX version does 3 hits.
- B Crack Shoot is an overhead and does multiple hits. EX version might hit mid and has faster startup. Hard knockdown on counter hits against an airborne opponent.
- Burn Knuckle seems the same? EX version does multiple hits and makes the opponent fly upwards. Not sure if you can follow up afterwards.
- Rising Tackle has no change. EX version goes vertically straight up and does something like 25 hits (lol) and has fast startup.

No Power Dunk no sale!

Frankfurt

Banned
Skilletor said:

Arcade owners hear of a close console release = they don't even buy the arcade board. How would people play a game that doesn't exist? SF4, Tekken 6's console ports were released long after the arcade versions. The games had time to fully developed an arcade scene.

Why do you think Tekken 6 took so long, when Tekken 5 was instant? And T5 even had the "bring your PS2 controller" marketing angle to try and trick people. That schtick helped a bit, but not enough, as Namco gave a twice as normal delay for Tekken 6!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
jett said:
No Power Dunk no sale!

I've always felt that a proper Rising Tackle was better than Power Dunk personally. And a good Buster Wolf trumps all! XD

But you do see a hell of a lot of request for it, reguardless. In what situations does one REALLY need Power D that aren't addressed pretty well by the rest of Terry's glorious moves?

I'd rather see Fire Kick, or Power Charge, personally...

(And if Rising Tackle is really 25 or something hits, than I agree with that post, LoL, awesome!)

And SNKP themselves provides us with some nice pics of Yuri's alternative looks:

From: http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/blog/archives/2010/03/_2.html
100327_07.jpg

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Frankfurt said:
Arcade owners hear of a close console release = they don't even buy the arcade board. How would people play a game that doesn't exist? SF4, Tekken 6's console ports were released long after the arcade versions. The games had time to fully developed an arcade scene.

Why do you think Tekken 6 took so long, when Tekken 5 was instant? And T5 even had the "bring your PS2 controller" marketing angle to try and trick people. That schtick helped a bit, but not enough, as Namco gave a twice as normal delay for Tekken 6!

Tekken is a lot bigger fish in the console market then KOF. KOF machine should be cheaper to boot. Unsure what the comparative costs are, but I'm sure it's five digits vs four digits, and Tekken 6 console release- did it impact Tekken 6 arcade play?

Then again, I've heard even for KOFXII, console profits > arcade profits.

I do think with this being SNK's swan song potentially (and maybe even likely)- they're going to do their best job to make a game that has gameplay to last for a lifetime. They can't afford not to.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
They're doing some crazy palette / sprite work, ive never seen it so detailed. ie: Yuri has 3 'sections' on her legs.

From the change list it looks like XIII is a real KOF.
SO HAPPY!

SAB CA said:
And SNKP themselves provides us with some nice pics of Yuri's alternative looks:

From: http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/kof-xiii/blog/archives/2010/03/_2.html
100327_07.jpg

WOW! Nice variety of "options" there. i sure hope there's color edit available.

As far as console release goes. Maybe this'll be like UM where they release the console version FIRST and THEN the arcade version?

Oh and I used Google Translate to translate the above blog post, and it translates Kyo as Jason for some reason :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SNK did changes I thought they wouldn't do- the changes that were needed for me to be hype. Throwing out most of KOF12's changes is a good thing.

The question is- will my locals be hype? 98UM I did drive them to sleep with my style- I'm about as vanilla as Daniel Bryan.

Oichi said:
Video Games
1. Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion
2. Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam VS Gundam NEXT
3. Blazblue: Continuum Shift
4. Melty Blood: Actress Again
5. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
6. Street Fighter IV (+1)
7. King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match (+1)
8. Virtua Fighter 5R (-2)
9. Arcana Heart 3 (NEW)
10. Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike (NEW)

Tekken 6, KOF 2002UM, SF3:TS, SFIV for sure have had console releases, so I doubt a console release would affect KOFXIII popularity in Japan. As long as the game is good, it should be successful. SBO exposure is going to do some positive things for its exposure. I hope the game does well in the Asian markets. In the U.S., Europe, etc, I hope it sells enough copies that it was profitable for SNKP. I don't want this to be the last title.

Frankfurt

Banned
arstal said:
Tekken is a lot bigger fish in the console market then KOF. KOF machine should be cheaper to boot. Unsure what the comparative costs are, but I'm sure it's five digits vs four digits, and Tekken 6 console release- did it impact Tekken 6 arcade play?

Then again, I've heard even for KOFXII, console profits > arcade profits.

I do think with this being SNK's swan song potentially (and maybe even likely)- they're going to do their best job to make a game that has gameplay to last for a lifetime. They can't afford not to.

The KOF XII machine + board was many times more expensive than the MVS + carts from back in the day. It was even more expensive than the Atomiswave + cart, which many had already skipped on. Most arcade operators looked at the price, looked at the console release coming 3 months later, and just skipped it. With good reason. Why spend big money on something that will be $60 so soon?

XII wasn't bought by many arcades, and in the ones where it was released, few people played. Console making more money, even with bad sales, was a given. Fighting games have to please both markets, with a nice, meaty window. Consoles need the hype, testing and support from arcade players. Fighting games that aren't released in arcades first are broken, casual games (KOFMI1, KOFMI2, SC4, MKs, DOA4). Capcom even released an early SF4 on arcades despite not even having an arcade division.

Console players will kick and scream about wanting simultaneous release, but that's just because they don't want to wait.

Shadow780

MAI
- How to say this…she benefits a lot from the new system.
- Both A and C Ryuuenbu have low lag and can be followed up with stand A in the corner. If the opponent is in mid-air even stand C is possible.
- Musasabi no Mai is great for comboing in the corner. If you hit them near their feet (i.e. space it so that it hits them at the lower part of their hitbox) they shouldn’t be able to retaliate.
- Hissatsu Shinobi Bachi is fast enough to combo from light attacks, and is damaging.
- d.B -> B -> Hissatsu Shinobi Bachi DC Musasabi no Mai -> C Ryuuenbu -> Chou Hissatsu Shinobi Bachi is a combo.
- Kachousen has slower startup but less lag
- Jump CD felt a little too fast
- She has an air throw which can be used in combos.
- EX Chou Hissatsu Shinobi Bachi is invincible.

HELL-YEAH.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
arstal said:
SNK did changes I thought they wouldn't do- the changes that were needed for me to be hype. Throwing out most of KOF12's changes is a good thing.

The question is- will my locals be hype? 98UM I did drive them to sleep with my style- I'm about as vanilla as Daniel Bryan.
So.. did you get your tickets for the hype train?

CHOO CHOO!!

Frankfurt

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
Tekken 6, KOF 2002UM, SF3:TS, SFIV for sure have had console releases, so I doubt a console release would affect KOFXIII popularity in Japan. As long as the game is good, it should be successful. SBO exposure is going to do some positive things for its exposure. I hope the game does well in the Asian markets. In the U.S., Europe, etc, I hope it sells enough copies that it was profitable for SNKP. I don't want this to be the last title.

I don't think you're even reading the thread.

Well-established games don't die down because of a console release down the line. Arcade owners don't buy boards if they know a console version is close by. Why spend thousands on a board for a game that is being released for 60 bucks in 3 months? Why even support such a slap in the face?

3S was a flop in its arcade release. It was still released in consoles two years later - also a flop. Evo brought it back years after the console release, and now the game shows up in top lists when it's announced for SBO, just like 2002 UM. Evo and the following apperance in SBO, established the game.

2002 was released in consoles LONG after the arcade release, long after the arcade scene had time to develop and pay itself. Your example, the cheap 2002UM update, was released in arcades first in China. Those players are why the game was even in SBO. Since the game was announced for SBO, Japan then released an arcade port, knowing japanese players would practice for the tourney and make the board pay itself.

Tekken 6 was released in consoles two years after the arcade version. That's a lot longer wait than normal. Why? Because Namco's T5 arcade+console release was despised by arcade owners.

SFIV was released in consoles seven months after arcades, after it had paid itself and established itself with arcade players.

jett

D-Member
SAB CA said:
I've always felt that a proper Rising Tackle was better than Power Dunk personally. And a good Buster Wolf trumps all! XD

But you do see a hell of a lot of request for it, reguardless. In what situations does one REALLY need Power D that aren't addressed pretty well by the rest of Terry's glorious moves?

I'd rather see Fire Kick, or Power Charge, personally...

(And if Rising Tackle is really 25 or something hits, than I agree with that post, LoL, awesome!)

100327_07.jpg

It's just a badass move, man. Don't take away Terry's badassness. :|

Pretty impressive what they've been able to do with alternate colors.

CcrooK said:
And here's the rest of the cast. When they release new characters in the future, I'll make those out, but in the mean time, this will be it. Remember to rehost! I will keep them up for about a week or two, then will take them down. Hype it! Feel it!

Sweeettt, thanks!

Fersis

I need more footage !!!!

FEEEEL IT!!

KAOS

Please have a story mode... please have at least 10 backgrounds... please have good net code! If it has all the above then I will be hyped!

zlatko

Banned
KAOS said:
Please have a story mode... please have at least 10 backgrounds... please have good net code! If it has all the above then I will be hyped!

Story mode confirmed. At least 4 new stages shown and all the KoF12 ones are remixed. Net code? This is where we all pray to our Gods that SNK asks Aksys games how they did it for Blazblue or just fork over the dough to do GGPO.

Sapiens

I really, really want this game, but if I hear the netcode isn't good, I will not buy it, ever.

I don't care how good the game is, a fighting game is only really great when you're playing a real person.

I won't be burned again.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
jett said:
It's just a badass move, man. Don't take away Terry's badassness. :|

Well, yeah, but it's the same thing I've seen with Yuri's Saifa VS Chou Uppa... When a move/moves that a character has, can take the place of whats missing, I don't understand the "no sale!/no buy!" complaints.

I can understand it from a style perspective, of course. Especially since Terry loves Basketball, so a "Dunk!" move makes loads of sense! But from a gameplay perspective, I never see how such a small omission should effect a purchase.

I'd rather have a well balanced Terry, who has moves that all cover unique purposes, than a bloated Terry with 2 or 3 extra specials that are only half-developed, just to appease fan complaints, y'know?

Having said that, it would be cool if XIII had EX versions of some characters. I'd imagine it's much easier to make EX chara's with different moves, than to make whole new characters, depending on the moves. Exception to the case being, say EX Iori, who'd basically need a whole new sprite since most who want his old moves, seem to want his old outfit, too. Otherwise, hidden EX Iori-with-flames would be awesome.

Random Note: I find it interesting they say that Ryo's Hien Shippu kyaku EX is a lot like Takuma's, in that it leaves the opponent floating. If Takuma shows up, will he have a whole new moveset, or will his moves EX in the other direction, making his moves more like Ryo and Roberts...

Top Bottom