• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Skilletor

Dark Machine said:
From all the promo vids it looks like Mai's stamina is incedibly weak. Maybe she's just being played badly, I never expected her to have good stamina, but not as weak as it's looking either. Ah well, I harldy ever play as her anyway.

Does KoF do the different stamina thing?

kdash7

CcrooK said:
Alrighty. More hype avatars. Still got the rest of the cast to do but here's what I got so far. Take what you want. Rehost please!

8ys4fn.jpg

Hope nobody else has taken this one.. cause i am taking this one!!!

SAB CA said:
You know, to a degree, Geese Howard always reminded me of a Rush Hour quote (paraphrased) "When something bad is happening, follow the rich white man! It's always his fault!"

There are some qualities, traits, and ideals that each race and nation carries with them. Considering how tough it is in hollywood for asians, I always grin when Japanese game creators place asians in martial arts roles all the time. Or when every European is a refined jerk. Or how chinese people are normally similiar to Japanese, but often a bit more uncooth. Or how African-Americans always like sports, or are always either large and intimidating, or smaller and comic relief.

But that's just how character design is. You take familiar qualities, and place them with a look that relates to those things. The balance isn't trying to avoid those qualities all together, but instead, in trying to give some of that to be familiar, and then depart from making it too overbearing.

I do hope we get some more "Cool Black people" in KoF XIII to balance out the "Dumpy Background Black People" a bit, but I don't think it's offensive, either way.

Now if they where chuckin' spears left and right, wearing dimwitted looks with HUGE lips, frying some chicken, eating watermellons, sitting on poarches besides monkeys, and commiting some ride-by arrow-shooting over plant-made drugs, then I'd be offended too!

I agree with everything you just said. Also, I don't see how that stage could be considered racists or anything. To me, the first thing I thought of when I saw it was Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle and ToeJam & Earl.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I have a hard time finding any info on Chin's new move, and yet, already, images can be found of Yuri's quasi-panty-shots? (And is it me, or does she have the cutest little "Yeah, I win, Jerks!" look on her face for that "Thumbs up!" victory pose?)

Go KOF Fans! Our love of gameplay is firmly established! (-_-;;;)

AdawgDaFAB said:
I agree with everything you just said. Also, I don't see how that stage could be considered racists or anything. To me, the first thing I thought of when I saw it was Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle and ToeJam & Earl.

Haha, TJ&E, it's like a whole room full of "Big Earl!"s! :lol

But I agree. I love the charicature and style of older games, so whatching what SNKP does in this game is fantastic to me, as a gamer, and an artist. A main male cast where almost each guy has a unique build, almost each girl has build variety (look past those faces, naysayers!), and the background characters of each stage actually attempt to have unique features and styles... KoF XII and XIII call back to classic sprite games SO well with all this personality, that it makes it somewhat harder to look at modern, realistic games without being somewhat dissapointed. And it's not like I needed HELP with that, anywho...

2D just contains a level of expression that 3D has a hard time matching. Each style excels in it's own unique ways, and these KoF arts are VERY close to taking some of 3Ds best, and bringing them into the 2D realm. That's quite a feat, I'd say.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Translation of Story by MMCafe forum user:

MMCafe said:
(yellow text)
After having pierced through Magaki with his spear, signs of Shion disappeared through the dimensional cleft.

Furthermore, as it to ridicule the investigation led by Heidern forces, they come out of their hidding to retrieve Magaki's corpse.

Those who speak of "we who hail from his distant land" ( 「遥けし彼の地」 )

Persistently pursuing the where about of the Orochi power.

While that happens, Yagami Iori falls to Ash Crimson

Elizabeth confronts those actions (unsure if his in the line of 'facing' (asking why) or 'facing' (opposing)).

After Kagura, follows Yagami Iori's powers (「力」) absorption.

Being Yata defeated, Yasakani taken down (note = Yata : Kagura's lineage / treasure name. Yasakani is Yagami's)

Of the three divine treasures, only Kusanagi is remaining

However, at that moment the disturb of Orochi triggers in Yagami

And Kusanagi Kyo collapses from severe wounds.

※ ※ ※
(red text)

Presently

Having suffered several accidents, concern is stretching towards KoF.

Even so, the question of who is the strongest...

A KoF of unprecedented scale has begun to be spelled

With the wide world as stage, an unprecedented great scale competition of different fighting styles

Never before a gathering like this has been reported.

And thus, those who posses the proper ability receive the written invitation

And the one sending them is ・・・・・・  「R」!

The R can't be from Rugal... I assume it might be from ROSE.

We need someone to translate Ash story.

ToD_

MMCafe.. Haven't been there in ages. It used to be a site I'd always visit, good old times. Anyway, I'm joining this hype train. Love the music!

Degen

hey here's a thread i don't remember reading.

What is this ultimate 2D fighter and why are people saying it has some kind of relation to SNK?

i can't believe madmans cafe is still around. i've used to visit that site in 90s regularly for SNK news and other fighters. when GAF dies, they'll still live ;)

ToD_

Now I can actually see an eye below King's hair. In the videos and smaller screens it looked like her hair was covering it entirely, which I thought was a bit silly.

Obviously, the game will be played on a bigger screen, and small details like that will be more clear!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow, even King has some bounce to her. Finally let those things loose I guess.

I hope special intros are in. I love seeing special intros of Mai/Andy, Ryo/King, etc.

Souther

Banned
I want to start a petition to get Yamazaki into this game. If not in the Arcade release then at least the console release.

I wonder if getting a hold of Shane Bettenhausen over @ Ignition would help somehow...

I need Yamazaki in this game!!

Swittcher

Banned
Souther said:
I want to start a petition to get Yamazaki into this game. If not in the Arcade release then at least the console release.

I wonder if getting a hold of Shane Bettenhausen over @ Ignition would help somehow...

I need Yamazaki in this game!!

Ignition BEGGED SNK to put Mai in XII.

And that didn't happen.

Frankfurt

Banned
I like Yuri's pissed, pouty lips. Fits her "oh, yoooou" attitude.

SAB CA said:
Ahhh, Masami Obari. A very odd style, sure, but I like unique anime/manga styles. I'm suprised he doesn't get more hate, though, lol... has he done anything in recent years?

He's gone back to what he did way back in teh day - directing small mecha and super robot shows. Last "big" show he did was Gravion.

AdawgDaFAB said:
How would K' being in the game have no place in the storyline? He had the confrontation with Mukai in 03 that gnawed at him even after the tournament and then in XI his team was on the boat when the 2 TFTP members showed up to steal Makagi's body. I think him working with Ikari to get to the bottom of all this is more than reason enough to be involved in the story.

If they follow the foreshadowing from the Chin/K' dialogue (they may have forgotten or changed their minds by now, it's been 7 years), then K' will have to use his fire when Kyo is defeated by Ash.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The main thing that bugs me about the females (sans...Leona?) is the face. Like, WTF? Where's the detail? They're like, blobs.

Kintaro said:
The main thing that bugs me about the females (sans...Leona?) is the face. Like, WTF? Where's the detail? They're like, blobs.

Welcome to the otaku dream! If Athena and Yuri have to suffer I guess I can handle it as long as it sells more copies of the game (assuming this game is good).

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Kintaro said:

Athena looks nothing like she used to so that is why she looks off. Yuri fits well in the CUTE area, but her sprite face is fine, it just the shadowing that makes it look like a meat bun or what ever its called. :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
XII/XIII Athena looks like a mix scoolgirl KoF + Princess. She's more rounded and shapely, yet still somehow in a youthful way. I somewhat prefer it, overall. She's more iconic and unique with a different body shape, rather than just a generic skinny build.

Not that the old look didn't work for her. But man, does it make more sense, from a "modern day Japan" standpoint. Personally, I'm just glad they didn't give her those generic moe personality traits... if she started to idolize the older women on the cast, or acting weak and calling for Kensou to save her, or talking about how useless/weak she was... ugh, THAT woulda been horrible.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
-DarKaoZ- said:
Yes it was, it was close for a long time, IIRC it was before KOFXII was announced that it got closed.

Wow. I remember when there was snkneogeousaconsumer.com, or something convoluted like that, and it had an official forum... and then they started to dissapear... forums died, and site was updated less and less...

Now THAT site, though, looks much more solid, and similiar to the Japanese one. Maybe this is a good sign for towards good netcode? If they have any contact information...

Should go back through every "no Mai, no Buy!" And plaster this page here as replies to all those post...

http://kofxiii.snkplaymoreusa.com/

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I remember someone asking for a KOF13 wallpaper that emulated the Japanese Site look, well here is what I just did, hope you guys enjoy it!

(Note, Original is 1900x1200, but I don't know where to host that size file)

wa3afk.png

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
if they just get the netcode situation together..man this will be the bees knees..this seems like a real chance for snk to elevate the franchise in popularity..i really hope they deliver

GrayFoxPL

Solune said:
Have they given Kyo his chain moves back?
(I.E) 114 Shiki Aragami/128 Shiki/127 Shiki?
Kyo feels REALLY incomplete in KoFXII without his whole moveset.

I keep reading such complains and I don't get it. Didn't people play fighters pre 96?

How can he feel incomplete when that is his full classic moveset? He didn't need anything else to be top tier. The revamped Kyo with qcf punches was basicaly a new character. He was changed so many times because devs could decide what moveset he should have, but classic 94, 95 Kyo was always solid and popular so they still keep putting him across the series.
Since KOF 12, 13 embraces the classic versions of characters (plus some freshness) from their original series it's natural they chose the original Kyo.

Yuri also originally didn't have an uppercut in Art Of Fighting 2 and KOF 94.

King looks like her original self minus the air venom strike.

With all the talk of K', I was wondering something. Was K's full "XII" art (seen below) ever released? (AKA the art from the official KoF hub that was done in the XII style that made us think they'd be DLC.)

I found a full version of Mai, (though the version I have has a weird shading to it) but I still can't find the full picture of K'. Does anyone have it?

actvn5.jpg

wow....the game looks gorgeous!!

I must say that the sprites are the best i have ever seen in a fighting game (ever!?)

my only question is....how does the animation compare? Is it also the best in any 2d fighting game? (Man, I always thought third strike was pretty impressive...still to this day!!)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
atomiswave said:
wow....the game looks gorgeous!!

I must say that the sprites are the best i have ever seen in a fighting game (ever!?)

my only question is....how does the animation compare? Is it also the best in any 2d fighting game? (Man, I always thought third strike was pretty impressive...still to this day!!)

It's not as good as 3S. It's better then BB though. I'd put it on par with Garou or Last Blade, maybe a tiny bit worse due to speed of the game.

A quicker game requires somewhat choppier animation. The higher animation count to me helps KOF, as it reduces the effectiveness of hyperhop spam. KOFXI had real problems with that, to the point where that was the most effective tactic in the game at times.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Swittcher said:
Ignition BEGGED SNK to put Mai in XII.

And that didn't happen.
According to Shane he asked for Yamazaki 5 times! :lol

arstal said:
It's not as good as 3S. It's better then BB though. I'd put it on par with Garou or Last Blade, maybe a tiny bit worse due to speed of the game.

A quicker game requires somewhat choppier animation. The higher animation count to me helps KOF, as it reduces the effectiveness of hyperhop spam. KOFXI had real problems with that, to the point where that was the most effective tactic in the game at times.
The PS2 version has an arrange mode that fixes this.

GrayFoxPL

CO_Andy said:
SNK did a bang-up job on the alternate color schemes. The pic speaks for itself

That's a great butt. Yuri's new design has grown on me.

I'm ready to be flamed but to me Kings looks fugly as sin. Arms like sticks. Rock in a drag.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So King and Yuri have boobies now? <--First time ever writing 'boobies'. :3
I want my Yuri flat as a table SNKP!

I know it's just their design choice, but I really don't like how Yuri and Athena are so potato headed... something tells me I'd be slightly upset if Kula shows up and she's the same way.

Still doesn't stop me from having high hopes about the game however, a new KOF always makes me build anticipation.

obonicus

Fersis said:
So King and Yuri have boobies now? <--First time ever writing 'boobies'. :3
I want my Yuri flat as a table SNKP!

King got augmented from her AoF flatness way way back (before '99 I think) and Yuri was never super flat. Now if Kasumi Todoh comes back and is jiggling all over the place, then we might have a problem.

Top Bottom