• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SUPARSTARX said:
Good netcode is a must! Some of us don't have arcades to hang at!

Given how Japanese arcades are now past peak, netcode has got to be a priority. I think SNK will get it at least somewhat right now- I don't think we're getting GGPO, but I think we'll something decent.

I just hope this series isn't pernamently tarnished.

I'll be surprised if new arcade games are being made 10 years from now.

SUPARSTARX

Doubt they will use GGPO. I'll be happy if it's as good as BlazBlue's netcode if not better. SFIV's netcode isn't bad, it's playable, but I think the Japanese devs got too much pride and ego to use something else.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SUPARSTARX said:
Doubt they will use GGPO. I'll be happy if it's as good as BlazBlue's netcode if not better. SFIV's netcode isn't bad, it's playable, but I think the Japanese devs got too much pride and ego to use something else.
SNKP is using third party libraries on KOFXII and XIII. (WWise audio library,ScaleForm,etc)

arstal said:
I just hope this series isn't pernamently tarnished.

I think there was some bad blood from the last title, but is there really a reputation for KOF in the U.S. It's not like SF or Mortal Kombat, where they've had toys, movies, comics, etc (SF had the 1994 Movie, 2009 Movie, the U.S. cartoon, two different comic lines, one by Malibu, the other by Udon, the Hasbro toys, Sota, Resauraus toys, even a snuggle).

kdash7 said:
I dont understand why cant they use GGPO?? Is it costly? Does Capcom have rights for GGPO or something?

We know about it as gaming nerds but who knows if they know about it. Or whether they would be apt to use it. Besides Final Fight and emulation, has anything else used GGPO?

tzare

SUPARSTARX said:

i asked this a few days ago. I hope they use GGPO (as ASW did for BB, at least based on GGPO), unless it is too pricey. But again, if they wanna survive on consoles too, that is a priority for most countries besides Japan.

Shadow780

jett said:
holy crap it was a pain in the ass to make this:

5l3rb8.gif

how did you made the file size so small? :O

IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
kdash7 said:
I dont understand why cant they use GGPO?? Is it costly? Does Capcom have rights for GGPO or something?

Capcom has the license to use it, which MIGHT be exclusive. I'm unsure on that.

Blazblue netcode would be next best thing.

bumpkin

The game looks great so far and Mai is as booby-licious as ever. The only thing that is missing for me is Rock Howard. I haven't really been following the specifics of the game in terms of timeline/story... Is it possible they'll have him in the game? My favorite SNK trio has always been Terry/Rock/Mai.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
arstal said:

From what ive read, thats not the case.
Capcom licensed GGPO for 3 games. Final Fight Double Impact being the first.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
bumpkin said:
The game looks great so far and Mai is as booby-licious as ever. The only thing that is missing for me is Rock Howard. I haven't really been following the specifics of the game in terms of timeline/story... Is it possible they'll have him in the game? My favorite SNK trio has always been Terry/Rock/Mai.

Rock would have to be very young. Like, very early teens, pre-pubescent... but that's if SNK actually cares about their timeline.

kurahadol said:
In celebration of how awesome this is sounding, I've had this on repeat

OOOOOOOOOOOOH OOOOOH OOOH AAAAANGEEEEL!!!

That movie was fucking awesome. I loaned it to a friend years ago and he never gave it back. :(

kurahadol

It was the first anime (besides Dragonball) that I watched, I rented it numerous times from Blockbuster :lol

For its time, it actually had a pretty awesome dub as well.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SUPARSTARX said:
lol I have that on VHS. Rewinding it to watch again was a bitch!

Had it on DVD here. One of the first anime I ever bought. And I can't find the thing for under $20 anywhere to replace it.

Damn! What a thing to wake up to. K' Stealth confirm, amazing music, a good look at the new characters' animation. Hyyyyyype!

where are you guys getting the stage images though?

And damn, I hope K's team has Kula. I don't care about the third member (though Maxima would look cool and is most likely), I just want Kula. KULAAAAA!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
kurahadol said:
In celebration of how awesome this is sounding, I've had this on repeat

OOOOOOOOOOOOH OOOOOH OOOH AAAAANGEEEEL!!!

Anyone who ever speaks negative on the song, or movie, deserves to meet Yamazaki in a dark alleyway.

I like the OVA's too, though they were definitely of different quality. But they set up the wonderfully tragic "every girl Terry gets close to, ends up dead" belief, which always seemed like the only believeable reason why Mary and Terry never got together...

Fersis

ReXXXSoprano said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T0-OZZT9s0

You're never quite as done with things as you want to be.

PARTY EXTENSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nice work.

King of Fighters XIII Part 9: Leona/Yuri/King vs Mai/Yuri/King should be :
King of Fighters XIII Part 9: Leona/Yuri/Kim vs Mai/Yuri/King

New Stage : This video contains the remixed version of KOF12 China stage.
So far we have:
  • Jungle (Brazil?). KOF13 stage.
  • London. KOF13 stage.
  • Japan. KOF13 stage.
  • India. KOF13 stage.
  • Stadium. remixed KOF12 stage.
  • Chinese Market. remixed KOF12 stage.
  • French Cafe. remixed KOF12 stage.
  • Egypt. remixed KOF12 stage.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SAB CA said:
Anyone who ever speaks negative on the song, or movie, deserves to meet Yamazaki in a dark alleyway.

I like the OVA's too, though they were definitely of different quality. But they set up the wonderfully tragic "every girl Terry gets close to, ends up dead" belief, which always seemed like the only believeable reason why Mary and Terry never got together...

I watched the OVA's after watching the movie and was really disappointed. The Motion Picture was just so much better in terms of defining the characters. I was impressed.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GuardianE said:
I watched the OVA's after watching the movie and was really disappointed. The Motion Picture was just so much better in terms of defining the characters. I was impressed.

Yeah, it's definitely a weird thing to backtrack with, I ended up like that as well. I'm good at keeping things in perspective though, so it wasn't too suprising.

They also had "Master Tung" dying in stance, while teaching Terry a new DM! One thing I'm glad doesn't appear to be canon... even if it was a cool death...

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
The last game was really bad.

Chin was totally gimped beyond useless. And some of the character changes might've worked out with a larger roster, and greater attention to balance. While I would typically be a biased Joe player, he was horrifically over-powered, almost to the point of parody.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Augemitbutter said:
i never liked the art in SNK anime :(

I didn't like how it wasn't really representative of the games at all, but it wasn't too bad. It wasn't the eyegasm that was SFII:The Animated Movie, but it was decent enough.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
boutrosinit said:

Chin was totally gimped beyond useless. And some of the character changes might've worked out with a larger roster, and greater attention to balance. While I would typically be a biased Joe player, he was horrifically over-powered, almost to the point of parody.

Wrong nope uh uh incorrect, lol. Chin was quite effective. He could land super off of dang near everything, his command parries gave him free counter hits, he had a decent rush string, a small, harder to hit body, and the strength of his d,d+P -> P blows was fantastic. Not to mention a very nice overhead that he could also combo out of. He could also beast in a corner, almost as effectively as Leona.

He didn't play exactly like Old Chin, but he was one of the most throughly put together characters in the entire game.

I remember reading the opinions on Joe back when the game came out. Half the camp found him OP, the other half didn't find him anyway near that good. His corner infinate was pretty stupid, yes, and Tiger Kick and slides were nice, but I think Kyo and (suprisingly to some degree) Iori was generally though to be better than him.

Heck, here's an arcadia tier list:
S Rank: Kyo, Iori
A Rank: Terry, Andy, Joe, Shen Woo, Kensou, Ralf, Kim, Ryo
B Rank: Robert, Ash, Chin, Raiden, Daimon
C Rank: Benimaru, Duo-lon, Leona, Athena
D Rank: Clark

Game was pretty well balanced except for those who lacked moves. The smaller roster helped it be one of the better balanced non-UM KoFs.

Augemitbutter said:
i never liked the art in SNK anime :(

Ahhh, Masami Obari. A very odd style, sure, but I like unique anime/manga styles. I'm suprised he doesn't get more hate, though, lol... has he done anything in recent years?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
boutrosinit said:

Chin was considered A tier in the game, and was actually really good.

KOFXII had decent balance. Kyo and Iori were a bit too good as usual, Duo Lon was the only character who wasn't decent, and he wasn't trash.

Joe was also A tier.

jett

D-Member
valenti said:
How did you do that??

Grabbed the SWF file directly from the website, used a program to save every frame in independent gif files, used photoshop to animate the frames in one single file, exported to gif, used another program to make it loop and adjust the speed. :p

Pain.

Fersis said:
You better buy KOF13 or ELSE.... OR ELSE!!

I'm really feeling the hype, I hope we don't get an unfinished game this time.

Augemitbutter said:
watching the intro was a must everytime i booted up the game. must have been like 500x :lol

indeed, great intro movie.

It was okay. I mostly didn't care for how "plain" the art looked. While the animation sucked in comparison to 98's Anime intro (it's so laughably bad in a couple parts), I loved the art style from the KoF 94 Rebout intro

Speaking of the FF TMP (I still need to pick that up sometime, I've got the OVAs on DVD), maybe it's just me, but does anyone else see a small resemblance between the Gaudemaus siblings and the Bernstein siblings, only reversed (the sister is the power crazy one, and the brother is the mellow, honorable one)

Solune

Have they given Kyo his chain moves back?
(I.E) 114 Shiki Aragami/128 Shiki/127 Shiki?
Kyo feels REALLY incomplete in KoFXII without his whole moveset.

Swittcher

Banned
nb_terry02.jpg

Ohhhhh oh, oh Angel!
Come greet the dawn, it's a brand new day!
Ohhhh oh, oh Angel!
Let burn the passion that fires your soul!!

Each lonely night I get through without you becomes my victory
Each empty night I fight against the light that is my destiny
Yet, I know that having might don't mean you're right
I can't be both cruel and kind!
When nothing makes sense I look up at the clouds in the sky
They don't answer but I still ask why...

Stand tall, you won't fall!
Even a wolf gets away
Now and then run into the sun
Sharpen your claws, bare your fangs and go on!

Run your own race--why go for second place?
Go on and grab a star!
You can survive. You gotta stay alive!
Heaven is not that far.
When you're on the edge you pledge to live just for today
Ain't no sense livin' in the past!
Look ahead and you'll see that tomorrow has already come
Time heals all wounds and love does go on!

Stand tall, you won't fall!
Courage! You stumble and then
So that you run into the sun
Seek out those songs which have not yet been sung!

People do fall in love
Though they may swear that the pain won't let go forevermore
I'll burn the flame of your dreams in my soul

Ohhh oh, oh Angel!!
Come greet the dawn, it's a brand new day!
Ohhh oh, oh Angel!!
Let burn the passion that fires your soul!!

Onemise said:
If K is going to be here (which has no part in the storyline), they better put Alba in who is infinitely way more cooler & bad ass than K.
D

How would K' being in the game have no place in the storyline? He had the confrontation with Mukai in 03 that gnawed at him even after the tournament and then in XI his team was on the boat when the 2 TFTP members showed up to steal Makagi's body. I think him working with Ikari to get to the bottom of all this is more than reason enough to be involved in the story.

Also random OT: Has there been ANY news yet on that KoF Online beat-em-up? All this XIII news reminded me of that and how much I was looking forward to it (love me some classic co-op beat-em-ups).

kdash7

arstal said:

Yeah Blazblue netcode is godly too. I am sure this time SNKP wont mess up the netcode stuff. Its a do or die this time around.

When is Kof2k2um coming on XBLA? I am sure they will test out their new netcode on kof2k2um!! And then iron out whatever issues they find and make it perfect for Kofxiii..i can always hope right? :lol

TreIII

K'? Excellent! :D

Hopefully this means that the XI team will be back in force. K', Kula and Maxima. I don't need more than that (and Maxima's one of my fave characters to use, no less!). :D

kdash7 said:
Yeah Blazblue netcode is godly too. I am sure this time SNKP wont mess up the netcode stuff. Its a do or die this time around.

This. Considering how bad their net code has been on their other games, they need to make sure this one is godly, especially if kof is done for if the game tanks.

Also, Leona needs more juggle in her bubbles...to match the rest of the girls of course.

Fersis

the_log_ride said:
Alright, this just got me to move from the rear of the Hype train's caboose up to the front row in the caboose.
Weak.

CHOOOO CHOOOOO !!!!!

EDIT:
These are the names of the 'coming soon' picture files:
gnav_game_mode_f3.jpg
b_ss_f3.jpg (Im guessing Screen Shot)
b_movie_f3.jpg
lnav_neomax_f2.jpg (???)

From all the promo vids it looks like Mai's stamina is incedibly weak. Maybe she's just being played badly, I never expected her to have good stamina, but not as weak as it's looking either. Ah well, I harldy ever play as her anyway.

Top Bottom