• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

tzare

Lyte Edge said:
Hey guys, I just wanted to mention that Samurai Shodown Sen is out in the States today!

Also wanted to mention THAT THE GAME IS A TOTAL PIECE OF SHIT. MARK OF SHAME ON YOUR XBL GAME LIST FOREVER!
i am going to buy when it is released in europe despite being a shit XD i need some haohmaru fix. :D

Oh tonite i started to listen to those MP3 from KOFXIII, and man, i loooooooove ash's BGM, it is like ' old times' SNK. They should make old KOF (and other series) OST available for DLC when the game is released.

Salz01

Skilletor said:
I just played KoF12 for the first time on an HDTV (dl'ed the demo). Holy shit.

Looks soooooooo good. I'll buy it when I can find it for around 25.

did I miss something? There is a demo of this on xboxlive? PSN?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
tzare said:
i am going to buy when it is released in europe despite being a shit XD i need some haohmaru fix. :D

Oh tonite i started to listen to those MP3 from KOFXIII, and man, i loooooooove ash's BGM, it is like ' old times' SNK. They should make old KOF (and other series) OST available for DLC when the game is released.

They did such a thing with XII... it didn't seem to go too well, lol.

I'd hope they'd just cram alternative Soundtracks into the game proper; KoF 98 UM has music from like... every KoF prior in it's sound test (Even console exclusive themes like PS1's 95 Psycho soldier "concert" credit sequence), and gives EX characters themes from the games that inspired them.

I like SNKP being able to make some extra bank just as much as the next guy, but I think the true worth of XIII should be proven by what's IN the game, long before they start trying to charge for extras. Low-cost methods of increasing value should be exploited to their fullest.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
SAB CA said:

I'd hope they'd just cram alternative Soundtracks into the game proper; KoF 98 UM has music from like... every KoF prior in it's sound test (Even console exclusive themes like PS1's 95 Psycho soldier "concert" credit sequence), and gives EX characters themes from the games that inspired them.

I like SNKP being able to make some extra bank just as much as the next guy, but I think the true worth of XIII should be proven by what's IN the game, long before they start trying to charge for extras. Low-cost methods of increasing value should be exploited to their fullest.

It didn't go over well because no one wanted to pay extra for a game that they didn't think they got their monies's worth out of.

If the game was better, it would have done better.

Acosta

GuardianE said:
I really don't understand this complaint. Oversexualizing her more? Have you played any of the more recent King of Fighters? She's not as objectified in XIII as she has been in the previous iterations, much less more. Do her tits bounce gloriously? Yes, but they always have... they just used to look like one giant undetailed blob.

In the past KoF's, she had a desperation attack that showed her bent over with a fan between her legs; an aerial attack where she comes down on the opponent ass first; her victory poses involved her changing clothes, showing off her rear, and striking a model pose on the floor; and her butt jiggled with every crouching HK. I don't think they could sexualize her any more even if they wanted to.

It was discussed before in this thread, and some of us were talking about all that you comment, it has been a (bad, imo) tendency in KOF and we hoped it would be toned down here. But seeing her standing, we can see the extra detail has been used for making her even more evident. That's the point.

It´s not even a complain, it´s a nitpick.

And I don't get the news about the Orochi saga in PSP, I have been playing that for months in my Go (portable 98= awesomeness), didn't it arrive to Japan?

I was waiting for NEST recopilatin in PSP, but seems it will take time (if happens at all)

By the way, Lyte Edge or anyone who knows, how is the PSP Samurai Shodown compilation in PSP?

tzare

SAB CA said:

no,it did not go well, but i guess because people where expecting stages and characters instead of music. BTW, are those songs old themes or the same found in KOFXII only remixed? because i'd buy the classic ones if they were old KOF tunes.

I also think that SNK should include many content so people trusted them again, especially they could unlock tunes and stages for beating the game and even some super secret characters like old times (geese in AOF2 or Ryo in FFSpecial)

But if the game does well, i i think it is not a bad thing to expand its 'life' by adding DLC, especially music or stages as does not split userbase :)

oh man, i am so hypeeeeeeeed. i have no nails at this time XD

Frankfurt said:

RoryDropkick said:
I know it's just their design choice, but I really don't like how Yuri and Athena are so potato headed...

:lol

hteng said:
people that hated the new sprites just can't get over the new look, i think it's a step in the right direction and the attention to detail in animation is amazing. screw the haters, this is KOF XIII and it's here to stay! for a long time too!

Watching the recent videos I don't mind the art style, I just hate the fucking font.

CHANGE THE FONT SNK

fuks sake:

2uhoniq.png

i'd even settle for Bank Gothic Medium BT or Comic Sans at this point.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Too soon to talk about DLC guys! :lol
But yeah, the game is looking great.

CadetMahoney said:
Watching the recent videos I don't mind the art style, I just hate the fucking font.
CHANGE THE FONT SNK

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm quite the proponent of quality post-game DLC. And I agree with everything mentioned.

Charging 15 or so dollars for an alternative soundtrack when you have a 10 dollar game on the same system (XBLA with 98 UM) that offers many many more classic themes than that DLC will ever offer, though, it a flawed concept.

(And if anyone has links to samples of the DLC music, it'd be much appreciated! :D )

But yes, SNKP has to raise precieved value of the initial game first, in order to make DLC feel worth it. I just hope that is where the focus is this time! I'd probably buy remixed music for XIII if the game, say, came with 2 unlockable tribute themepacks already as unlockables. This HUGE color list to start the game is a pretty good step in the right direction, too. I'd buy themed character colors too (even if there is a color edit mode), like a special 11th Christmas themed color pack, if they did a good job of it.

Even if they made, say, sidestory packs, featuring a few fights that had unique dialog between the characters, and new hand drawn/pixel art ending screens for each, that'd be cool.

Thenarus

Neo Member
Totally agree regarding the font...that's the one thing XII has over XIII so far. Of course XIII's in beta, so it still has a chance to change for the better.

Wouldn't mind at all, though, if they recycled at least the font XII used for the character names, even if they play with the placement.

tzare

SAB CA said:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm quite the proponent of quality post-game DLC. And I agree with everything mentioned.

Charging 15 or so dollars for an alternative soundtrack when you have a 10 dollar game on the same system (XBLA with 98 UM) that offers many many more classic themes than that DLC will ever offer, though, it a flawed concept.

(And if anyone has links to samples of the DLC music, it'd be much appreciated! :D )

But yes, SNKP has to raise precieved value of the initial game first, in order to make DLC feel worth it. I just hope that is where the focus is this time! I'd probably buy remixed music for XIII if the game, say, came with 2 unlockable tribute themepacks already as unlockables. This HUGE color list to start the game is a pretty good step in the right direction, too. I'd buy themed character colors too (even if there is a color edit mode), like a special 11th Christmas themed color pack, if they did a good job of it.

Even if they made, say, sidestory packs, featuring a few fights that had unique dialog between the characters, and new hand drawn/pixel art ending screens for each, that'd be cool.

yeah yeah, i totally agree with you :p it is probably me not expressing fluid in english XD

BTW, i'd love to see SNK release the same games on PSN (was some kind of leak regarding old neogeo games some time ago) as my arcade stick is for PS3 , i'd be glad to help SNK by buying some of its old games for PS3, despite having them on neogeo and ne cd :D

-DarKaoZ- said:
I can imagine the crazyness if SNKP decides to release the game at 60 dllrs instead of 40. Lots of people will not buy it.

I don't think anyone will care if it's released at $60. I'll buy it for that price even though I bought XII. When I bought XII I knew what I was getting into and even though we know it should, the box doesn't say Super King of Fighters XII.

If the game continues to have good word of mouth the KOF fans will buy it, but the problem is the mentality that if something is 2D it was cheaper or easier to make than something 3D, regardless of how good the game may be.

tzare

i'd love to know what is the budget for KOFXIII or XII, and how does it compare to SFIV for example. That would also give us an idea of how many copies should they sell to break even.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Swittcher said:
Really want to try Sam Sho Sen, just for lulz.

Permanent MARK OF SHAME on your XBL account! Don't do it man...you will never view the world the same way after playing it. ;_;

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
SAB CA said:
Isn't that like... oh... The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga on US PS2/PSP/Wii?
http://www.snkplaymoreusa.com/kof-collection1

Unless they're adding KoF 94 ReBout or 98 UM, sounds like the same thing.

Ah, well I meant on one disc for a current gen system. I thought that convenience would be nice.

Acosta said:
It was discussed before in this thread, and some of us were talking about all that you comment, it has been a (bad, imo) tendency in KOF and we hoped it would be toned down here. But seeing her standing, we can see the extra detail has been used for making her even more evident. That's the point.

I get you, but the reason for my rebuttal was because people were claiming Mai is "even more" sexualized in this game. It's simply not true. If anything, it's toned down because they haven't drawn the sprites for it yet.

zlatko

Banned
Dark Machine said:
Dunno if this is EXACTLY the correct size, making her those dimensions would've made her fat :D
king.gif

Did anyone ever tell you you're awesome? You have easily won the internet today. :D Thank you.

Edit: Hmm strange it keeps resizing itself to a giant proportion here on Gaf. Poopy. :( Guess it wasn't mean to be.

Ferrio

Banned
zlatko said:
Did anyone ever tell you you're awesome? You have easily won the internet today. :D Thank you.

You won't be saying that after your avatar privileges are taken away for that being the incorrect size.

zlatko

Banned
Ferrio said:
You won't be saying that after your avatar privileges are taken away for that being the incorrect size.

Lol yeah because I'm dumb enough to keep it a giant size. I had it already changed before I even went to edit saying it IS too big.

jett

D-Member
zlatko said:

Edit: Hmm strange it keeps resizing itself to a giant proportion here on Gaf. Poopy. :( Guess it wasn't mean to be.

I fixed it for you because I'm nice like that. Sometimes.

28v6fzk.gif

Swittcher

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Permanent MARK OF SHAME on your XBL account! Don't do it man...you will never view the world the same way after playing it. ;_;

Can you really be a bit more detailed about what's wrong with it/missing?

KingJ2002

CadetMahoney said:

CHANGE THE FONT SNK

fuks sake:

2uhoniq.png

LOL... i'm with you man... their font selection in this game bothers the fuck out of me.

and i hope to god they make a better main menu for this game then the bullshit XBL junk they throw on it. It makes the game less inviting to play

Look at Super Street Fighter 4

Main-Menu-1.jpg

Look at Tekken 6

snap056u.png

Look at Virtua Fighter 5

ps3_vf5_main_menu.jpg

Then look at this junk

king-of-fighters-xii-menu-screen-differences.jpg

^^^ I know we can do better than this SNKP.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Swittcher said:
Can you really be a bit more detailed about what's wrong with it/missing?

In a nutshell, it feels like a bad 3D fighting game from 1995. Like a bad Soul Edge rip-off with Tekken-style juggles. The game play is stiff and clunky. Movement is slow and feels "off." Character balance is fucked up too (and I hear they made the bosses -including a cowboy with UNBLOCKABLE bullets- playable). The game has some nice artwork and music, that's about it. It bombed in Japanese arcades, it bombed on the J-360, and it will inevitably bomb over here too. Ignition dodged a bullet when they dropped it. Poor XSeed. Nobody will remember this game in a month.

GuardianE said:
But they released SNK v. Capcom Cardfighters Clash! Which had a gamebreaking bug.

This would be their chance to redeem themselves! KOF 94-96. AOF, or whatevers. I would think it would look good on the DS screen.

tzare

Lyte Edge said:
In a nutshell, it feels like a bad 3D fighting game from 1995. Like a bad Soul Edge rip-off with Tekken-style juggles. The game play is stiff and clunky. Movement is slow and feels "off." Character balance is fucked up too (and I hear they made the bosses -including a cowboy with UNBLOCKABLE bullets- playable). The game has some nice artwork and music, that's about it. It bombed in Japanese arcades, it bombed on the J-360, and it will inevitably bomb over here too. Ignition dodged a bullet when they dropped it. Poor XSeed. Nobody will remember this game in a month.
it is a mistery to me that this game got the green light and other ones that are way more wanted by SNK hardcore fans like myself will never see the light of the day, including PSN/XBLA ports of all their good neogeo games. I really do not understant bussines most of the time-

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Sen was not developed by SNKP, they probably licensed the IP.

tzare

Fersis said:
Sen was not developed by SNKP, they probably licensed the IP.
that would be a possibilty, but SNk should have some kind of quality 'assurance' becaus e this game does hurt the franchise thus it looses its potential to be used in the future.

And if that was the case, i'd love to se ASW, former SNK employees, to pick Garou IP and.... yeah , stop dreaming :D

Acosta

GuardianE said:
I get you, but the reason for my rebuttal was because people were claiming Mai is "even more" sexualized in this game. It's simply not true. If anything, it's toned down because they haven't drawn the sprites for it yet.

Yes, I guess it´s hard to say at this moment and you are right we don't know the final animations but taking the point of reference we have:

5l3rb8.gif

It´s a bit ridiculous, even for Mai.

Fersis

tzare said:
that would be a possibilty, but SNk should have some kind of quality 'assurance' becaus e this game does hurt the franchise thus it looses its potential to be used in the future.

And if that was the case, i'd love to se ASW, former SNK employees, to pick Garou IP and.... yeah , stop dreaming :D
LAWLZ (Translation note: LAWLZ means lolz).

And no thanks, ASW should be doing their thing.... LEAVE MY GAROU ALOOONE!!!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Acosta said:
Yes, I guess it´s hard to say at this moment and you are right we don't know the final animations but taking the point of reference we have:

It´s a bit ridiculous, even for Mai.

It's not ridiculous for Mai, though. That's exactly what I mean. Look at this sprite:

mai1.gif

The only difference is that the KOFXIII sprite has much more detail and a slightly lower bend to her pose. She's not more sexualized because the movement is actually follows gravity. That's just silly.

Sorry, that's the last I'll mention of it. It's not really important anyway. Mai is Mai.

Also, I'd rather see Aksys pick up Garou than another Garou not be created at all. It's like the forgotten child SFIII of SNK (though Capcom has backtracked on that with Super).

tzare

Fersis said:
LAWLZ (Translation note: LAWLZ means lolz).

And no thanks, ASW should be doing their thing.... LEAVE MY GAROU ALOOONE!!!
i though many of ASW staff were former Garou Team members. XD

I just want my SNK franchises to keep going

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
tzare said:

I thought it was a combination of the Vampire and Samsho teams.

Fersis

tzare said:

Yeah, but ASW would use their art style to develop GAROU and i really really reaaaaaallyyyyy dont want that.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fersis said:
Yeah, but ASW would use their art style to develop GAROU and i really really reaaaaaallyyyyy dont want that.

I wouldn't mind the woman behind Battle Fantasia to do the art- I did like her art style, even if the game wasn't that great (and I blame Arc forcing GG mechanics onto the game for that)

Acosta

GuardianE said:
It's not ridiculous for Mai, though. That's exactly what I mean. Look at this sprite:

mai1.gif

The only difference is that the KOFXIII sprite has much more detail and a slightly lower bend to her pose. She's not more sexualized because the movement is actually follows gravity. That's just silly.

Sorry, that's the last I'll mention of it. It's not really important anyway. Mai is Mai.

I can't see your sprite, but I have played every KOF and know how Mai is. It's not a matter of "gravity" it´s a matter that it´s much more obvious and she is in that weird position where her front is more visible.

We disagree, that's all.

Swittcher

Banned
Samurai Showdown Sen was developed by the group that made all those Tenchu games last gen. The most recently from them, was Tenchu Z for the 360.

tzare

Fersis said:
oh, i agree on that, i like ASW style but not like i love most SNK styles. The i hope they pick realBout series. I realy need a sequel to those.:D

Top Bottom