• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Frankfurt

Banned
Athena and Kensou:

You may not like it, but this is the reasoning.

Ralf and Clark are not as obvious, as they only resemble their Ikari Warriors clothes very loosely.

Kintaro said:
The main thing that bugs me about the females (sans...Leona?) is the face. Like, WTF? Where's the detail? They're like, blobs.

If anything, Leona's face has less detail than Liz (the most detailed - blinking eyes, eye-lashes, eyebrows, full nose and lipstick that changes shapes realisticly as she turns her face a bit), King (as rendered as Liz, but not as animated), Mature (more detail than Liz, but not animated at all), and Mai (very detailed, but frozen, happy face).

People keep bundling everyone together ("all women look like moeblobs"), but only Athena and Yuri suffer from moeblob syndrome, as in the case of Yuri, that fits her personality to a t. I think her face is adorable, with the whole angry child thing. Here's a doodle i made so you can see what i mean:

Kyo went into rekka-style after he was beaten Goenitz. Maybe they'll explain his going back to fireballer too? I personally like the fact he's back, as KOF 94-95 Kyo was my favorite character in my mid-teens. But i can see why people would complain.

Swittcher said:
might as well post masami obari goodness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8fr5Jhu_sA

Love that anime. Crazy-ass awesomeness.

-DarKaoZ- said:
I remember someone asking for a KOF13 wallpaper that emulated the Japanese Site look, well here is what I just did, hope you guys enjoy it!

(Note, Original is 1900x1200, but I don't know where to host that size file)

Thank you! Very nice!

Dina

As a King fan, I liked mannish King better. Her hair looks so weird in this version. And now she suddenly has boobs.

Dina said:
As a King fan, I liked mannish King better. Her hair looks so weird in this version. And now she suddenly has boobs.

She had boobs in OG Art of Fighting you ripped her shirt with a special move. King has always been Hawt. It's too bad she plays for the other team...or does she?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Spiderjericho said:
She had boobs in OG Art of Fighting you ripped her shirt with a special move. King has always been Hawt. It's too bad she plays for the other team...or does she?
I think she is into Ryo.
Or at least thats what Takuma wants. :D

That Art of Fighting story was...

And I recall her having a special intro with Ryo that's why I said what I did. Any new info on KOF2002UM for Live?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Frankfurt said:
You may not like it, but this is the reasoning.

Eh, Athena still looks like shit. Reasoning or not.

If anything, Leona's face has less detail than Liz (the most detailed - blinking eyes, eye-lashes, eyebrows, full nose and lipstick that changes shapes realisticly as she turns her face a bit), King (as rendered as Liz, but not as animated), Mature (more detail than Liz, but not animated at all), and Mai (very detailed, but frozen, happy face).

People keep bundling everyone together ("all women look like moeblobs"), but only Athena and Yuri suffer from moeblob syndrome, as in the case of Yuri, that fits her personality to a t. I think her face is adorable, with the whole angry child thing. Here's a doodle i made so you can see what i mean:

Looking back, Leona suffers from it too. So, yeah. Liz and Mature are the best in XII. Overall though, all of the females so far, in terms of fine detail are steps back from previous KOFs.

I also disagree that this blob fits Yuri's "personality."

Acosta

Yeah... I'm not a fan of King's sprite, I mean, the sprite itself looks great and all but it´s not like King, I prefer a more mannish style (and yes, there is an interest between Ryo and her, see the KOF XI ending for Kyo's team, but it´s a bit tiny, Takuma is trying to force it :p)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V8Ta2KILHs

And they did with Mai exactly the opposite I wanted them to do, over-sexualicing her even more... well, I'll take it anyway, prefer that than no Mai.

I have already said my opinion about Yuri's design, it doesn't fit her at all and I don't get why she is in such a weird position with the arms so closed.

This is just nitpicking, still think the game looks beyond awesome in every aspect.

FoxSpirit

Yeah, not a fan of King's sprite either. Her portrait is fantastic but the sprite...
King was always kind of elegant and had a somewhat masculine clothing style. In this sprite she has spindly arms, a (for King) weird face and the clothing isn't what I'd call a good suit. Oh, and she's now bouncing right back at Mai.
Major letdown.

mr_boo

Dina said:
I agree with everything in this post. Though King alone has made me more interested in this game again. I'm just hoping the netcode will be robust.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Acosta said:
And they did with Mai exactly the opposite I wanted them to do, over-sexualicing her even more... well, I'll take it anyway, prefer that than no Mai.

I really don't understand this complaint. Oversexualizing her more? Have you played any of the more recent King of Fighters? She's not as objectified in XIII as she has been in the previous iterations, much less more. Do her tits bounce gloriously? Yes, but they always have... they just used to look like one giant undetailed blob.

In the past KoF's, she had a desperation attack that showed her bent over with a fan between her legs; an aerial attack where she comes down on the opponent ass first; her victory poses involved her changing clothes, showing off her rear, and striking a model pose on the floor; and her butt jiggled with every crouching HK. I don't think they could sexualize her any more even if they wanted to.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
ReXXXSoprano said:
I guess I could be bold enough to interrupt Mai's tits with the following vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1pRc--vylU

They'll still be boppin to the top when you're done.

First person to get the reference gets a internet cookie.

Reference: *shrug*
Video: WoOT, Clark Play! Nice to see the newly animated ending to his DM, EX DM SAB throw seemed to catch Leona pretty well. That part with the Yuri 2 hit -> Clark Far away -> Clark Air Throw -> YOU WIN! was... disorienting, lol. Momentary camera glitches?

Gattling combo seems a decent way to get in. Not much use of Clark Stomp/Step/Hop in that vid. I would suspect you could follow up either a normal of EX gattling with Air throw, which would make me happy, with the apparent loss of C, CD, Air throw.

I wonder if this will be the last work released with the voice of Daisuke Gouri... His seiyuu work as Raiden was always enough for me to enjoy the character being in 12, the fact he was obscenly powerful didn't hurt, either.

And finally, LoL at Clark's "Sexy!" Victory picture. The Man of Steel... err.. Still, lookin' like something outta a "Men of the Military" spread for a chick magazine...

obonicus

Dina said:

King didn't jiggle in earlier KoFs, but they dropped most of the gender confusion from AoF -- she had plenty of bosom.

Frankfurt

Banned
It's one thing to complain about King's boobs. Some people may think the plot device created for AOF1 has to be kept even over a decade after it's become moot...

But you gotta laugh when people say something "doesn't fit" a character. To say that when the character's in-game lines, victory quotes, even official storylines back it up? Even worse is when those people choose to disregard not only the original games the characters were created for, but also their original looks, and pretend they're not valid or that they don't match the character!

Then the only solution is to backpedal, i guess. :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Frankfurt said:
It's one thing to complain about King's boobs. Some people may think the plot device created for AOF1 has to be kept even over a decade after it's become moot...

But you gotta laugh when people say something "doesn't fit" a character, when the character's in-game lines, victory quotes, even official storylines back it up. Even worse is when those people choose to disregard not only the original games the characters were created for, but also their original looks.

Then the only solution is to backpedal, i guess. :lol

Yeah, I keep looking at our Ultra-Cute Yuri, and then think of her old "Hey Hey, woah woah woah YAAAAA, V, V!" victory pose, and thinking "Yeah... new sprite's quite on point..."

yuri-win98.gif

And as far as the King thing... I think after being stuck with Mai for YEARS of KoF, any female would become more comfortable in the idea of displaying her own femininity. King's been blushing at Ryo and wearing more feminine clothing for a while, now, so wearing a more form-fitting shirt isn't completly without previous precident hinting towards the idea.

Dina said:

I dunno, I think I'm in the minority that thinks the new King looks spot on. She looks appropriately boyish, with a nice focused look in her eyes.

I always thought it was weird that King's official measurements set her as even bustier than Mai yet it never showed in KoF (I blame the jacket/vest she always wore) I'd like to think even though this outfit is her AoF1 outfit, she's not going out of her way to hide her features anymore. It's what I always liked about the character. She's not the OMG LESBIAN, she's just a classy lady that sets out to prove how the fairer sex can kick ass with more class than most men (except Ryo who sees her as an equal). I love Faris from FFV for the same reason.

Choppasmith said:
I dunno, I think I'm in the minority that thinks the new King looks spot on. She looks appropriately boyish, with a nice focused look in her eyes.

I always thought it was weird that King's official measurements set her as even bustier than Mai yet it never showed in KoF (I blame the jacket/vest she always wore) I'd like to think even though this outfit is her AoF1 outfit, she's not going out of her way to hide her features anymore. It's what I always liked about the character. She's not the OMG LESBIAN, she's just a classy lady that sets out to prove how the fairer sex can kick ass with more class than most men (except Ryo who sees her as an equal). I love Faris from FFV for the same reason.

This sooo damn much. I learned to play King just because she was my kind of girl, focused, kick ass, short hair, classy and British :D This new sprite makes her look awesome and hey boobs are always relevant and interesting whether they are large or small! And fie on anywone who thinks otherwise! :lol

Edit: Oh yeah and she's a Muay Thai fighter, which is my chosen art too. It would've been nice to not see her gimped to death in CvS, Her vs Sagat would've been awesome then.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hey guys, I just wanted to mention that Samurai Shodown Sen is out in the States today!

Also wanted to mention THAT THE GAME IS A TOTAL PIECE OF SHIT. MARK OF SHAME ON YOUR XBL GAME LIST FOREVER!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lyte Edge said:
Hey guys, I just wanted to mention that Samurai Shodown Sen is out in the States today!

Also wanted to mention THAT THE GAME IS A TOTAL PIECE OF SHIT. MARK OF SHAME ON YOUR XBL GAME LIST FOREVER!

Bah, I'll get it when it's cheap/find it on a deal, the character art and music actually sounds pretty nice. Also seems to have a bunch of characters, especially some new ones.

Seems like a decent diversion, like playing an old Data East fighter in between Capcom and SNK ones.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Lyte Edge said:

Im not doing the official thread of that..... :lol

Lyte Edge

SAB CA said:
Bah, I'll get it when it's cheap/find it on a deal, the character art and music actually sounds pretty nice. Also seems to have a bunch of characters, especially some new ones.

Seems like a decent diversion, like playing an old Data East fighter in between Capcom and SNK ones.

No, seriously. It's that bad.

hteng

Banned
people that hated the new sprites just can't get over the new look, i think it's a step in the right direction and the attention to detail in animation is amazing. screw the haters, this is KOF XIII and it's here to stay! for a long time too!

Fersis

SAB CA said:

Its a SNKP Figther and im not hyping it... what gives? :lol
But yeah, buy it if cheap.

Awesome to see this thread chugging along!

I agree the backgrounds need your team mates back there cheering you on, or licking their wounds after a match.

Played a bunch of KoF12 this weekend. Still love the visuals of the game, but man - engine was too stripped down. :(

Lyte Edge

hteng said:
people that hated the new sprites just can't get over the new look, i think it's a step in the right direction and the attention to detail in animation is amazing. screw the haters, this is KOF XIII and it's here to stay! for a long time too!

I'm all for change. I like most of the new sprites, but some of them just don't look right. A lot of the female characters' heads in particular are just too "moe blob" for my tastes. :p

Fersis said:

NO. DO NOT BUY IT IF CHEAP. ESPECIALLY IF YOU LIKE SAMURAI SHODOWN AND DON'T WANT TO SEE THE GAME GO OUT ON SUCH A LOW NOTE. :lol

The Take Out Bandit said:

I agree the backgrounds need your team mates back there cheering you on, or licking their wounds after a match.

Played a bunch of KoF12 this weekend. Still love the visuals of the game, but man - engine was too stripped down. :(

I'm done with XII, but I am going to start playing 2002 UM and maybe get on GGPO for some '98 and '02 game play.

Fersis

Lyte Edge said:
NO. DO NOT BUY IT IF CHEAP. ESPECIALLY IF YOU LIKE SAMURAI SHODOWN AND DON'T WANT TO SEE THE GAME GO OUT ON SUCH A LOW NOTE. :lol
So bad huh?

The Take Out Bandit said:

Check the OP,there are lots of videos.

Skilletor

I just played KoF12 for the first time on an HDTV (dl'ed the demo). Holy shit.

Looks soooooooo good. I'll buy it when I can find it for around 25.

Samurai Shodown Sen was the first game I played in an arcade in Tokyo last year, the machine sat lonely out of the way in a corner of the room next to a load of retro machines (KoF 98 etc) which were busy next to it, it was SS and I didn't know better so I gave it a go, put my 100yen in, selected Nakoruru and...My god it was annoying, bad and just...wtf? Some fights were ridiculously easy, and I was just bashing buttons, others were utterly unfair and hard. The 3D graphics were rough and underdone, everything was just so...plain to me. It was crazy. I never went back to it safe to say.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lyte Edge said:
No, seriously. It's that bad.

Fersis said:

:D Well, that's why it's not a day one purchase! XD I'll always love finding the best in the underappreciated...vids of the game leave me at least wanting to try it out! (A Demo woulda been nice!)

Lyte Edge said:

:lol So.... get someone ELSE to buy it for me, and even if I like it Ok, I can still grill them for years "WHERE WAS YOUR JUDGEMENT!?!?! WHY DID YOU LET ME DO THIS TO MYSELF!?!?!"

arstal said:
It's not as good as 3S. It's better then BB though. I'd put it on par with Garou or Last Blade, maybe a tiny bit worse due to speed of the game.

A quicker game requires somewhat choppier animation. The higher animation count to me helps KOF, as it reduces the effectiveness of hyperhop spam. KOFXI had real problems with that, to the point where that was the most effective tactic in the game at times.

after seeing the game through youtube vids (translation: horrible quality), I can see that the animation is JUST RIGHT for the game speed. A few things tweaked and it would be even better (Example: when some characters get K.O.'ed, they just fall like lifeless dolls).

Otherwise it would be awesome to see pre-battle taunts with certain characters, and other cool touches like that. I might even say the game is up there with 3rd Strike with certain characters (Kim's battle stance looks pretty fluid/Mai's Boobs)

but anyways, count me hyped for this game, this is what XII should have been....but just imagine if we had to wait this much longer to get the complete experience. I consider XII a visual experience of the next gen of 2d fighting games.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Even the hardcore SamSho community (Heavenly Spirits site - which is probably the best of the SNK fansites, which isn't saying much) tries to pretend Sen doesn't exist.

The only person I know who is hype for the game is our local SNK otaku- who just makes no sense usually. He still thinks KOFXII is the 2nd best KOF ever.

It's me or the hands animation (shadows) is different from the "real hands", it's like the fingers in the shadows are doing something totally different.

GrayFoxPL

rockman zx said:
It's me or the hands animation (shadows) is different from the "real hands", it's like the fingers in the shadows are doing something totally different.

The shadows are milking cow or doing double handjobs!

Fersis

The new famitsu announces The King Of Fighters Portable : 94 - 98 (PSP) :D

Top Bottom