• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Urban Scholar said:
Ralf, & Goro as well.

Vice. She tends to play like a Heavy.

That said, Maxima +1. I may even join the Maxima Army again in this- depends if he's classic style or 2k2UM/XI style (which I didn't like)

Favorite Maxima was 03 Maxima (even if he was bottom tier)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Urban Scholar said:
Vice really? I never would have imagined to be honest, now that's rather interesting.

She has a lot of grabs, hits hard, and generally has crappy normals. Her missing qcb+K in XIII pushes her more towards power character side of things.

Shermie was more of a poker/grappler hybrid. I loved using Shermie 's sweep as air defense in 98. They gutted Shermie's normals in 2k2 though.

Ramon was the speed grappler.

Gunloc said:
There is a nice, short video of Elisabeth vs. Mai in the new blog entry.

Elisabeth look like she going to play awesome , i can't wait to play her again. Start playing her as soon as she was in the KOF series .

arstal said:
She has a lot of grabs, hits hard, and generally has crappy normals. Her missing qcb+K in XIII pushes her more towards power character side of things.

Shermie was more of a poker/grappler hybrid. I loved using Shermie 's sweep as air defense in 98. They gutted Shermie's normals in 2k2 though.

Shermie in 98 was awesome

arstal said:

Him not being in this version of KOF still stings. I still remember his on screen antics that literally had you all over the place. See: KOF XI LDM

Well, there is always hope for Ramon & Shermie in the console version. With all the Mature & Vice shenanigans going on, CYS has a ticket back. (Shermie is already spying in the background.)

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Gunloc said:
Well, there is always hope for Ramon & Shermie in the console version. With all the Mature & Vice shenanigans going on, CYS has a ticket back. (Shermie is already spying in the background.)

I doubt we get any console exclusiive chars this time. 31 chars is a little low for a KOF, but enough.

I hope if XIII does well, we get yearly releases tweaking gameplay, and adding 6 chars/year for the next 2-3 years.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
tzare said:
sprite_maxima.gif
Wow... im speechless.

SNKP delivers once again.

Projectjustice said:
I still prefer the graphical presentation that KOF12 had.
The non existent graphical presentation?

Halvie

Banned
Still looking for high res images of the art portraits. Will paypal someone some money if they can find them at 2k x 2k ish resolution.

TreIII

MAXIMA! :D

I'm very much ready to "VAPOUR CANNON!!!" people in the face again. I wonder if it will retain its wall bounce properties.

MoxManiac said:
YES!!! MAXIMA!!!

..and then I realized the netcode will probably suck ass again and my excitement dissapears :(

Get some friends IRL chucklehead! ;)

I feel your pain, but I'm holding out hope SNK will sort this shit out. FEEEEL HOPE!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
The Take Out Bandit said:
Get some friends IRL chucklehead! ;)

I feel your pain, but I'm holding out hope SNK will sort this shit out. FEEEEL HOPE!

How many people know Americans who play SNK?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Anyone else notice Maxima apparently has an Aerial VAPOR CAN-NON!?

So they've increased the geometric look to his M-4 arm cannons and shoulder guards, and his feet and leg armor look less like normal clothing, more like mechanical parts... I can deal with this!

Even though he was this highly mechanized soldier in the past, he always looked fairly plain. I kinda liked this "hidden" aspect of his mechanical side, but as the KoF stories have gone on, and they're talked more about his power core, I did come to feel he could use a new update. The way he looks now is perfectly inline with this!

The color of his hair on his sprite IS a bit weird, but I look forward to seeing his new colors! I'm guessing the M-4's will be recolored pieces, probably also making his "Armor" pieces that are now green also match the color of what is now grey.

Elisabeth VS Mai site Vid: Love the pay 'beth tosses back her head when doing her counter now, even if it means the loss of her slide movement from XII (Though I think I might have seen the forward one.. hmm) I still wish to see her get her command normals back, but she does a nice job comboing from weak attacks, even better now with the dash uppers.

Oh yeah, and Mai was there... XD

Hwa Jai & Clark NeoMAX's: I love the full-screen kick waves of Hwa, there's just something very nice looking about it. Insane laugh after completion is also classic SNK-brand insanity, cool. Note the fact that Hwa is also wearing Sagat's default colors in this video!

Clark's is pretty simple, but effective. This is Clark to a tee. Clark has a tackle for this throw, Ralf uses the same tackle in his Mount&Pound DM... If they have ALL THIS, and don't give Clark a dash tackle, then... THE FRAMES ARE RIGHT THERE!!! I still wouldn't mind a hop-derived throw instead, but just dash tackle into Rolling Cradle would be awesome, don't even need the move branches.

Anywho, can't wait to see Max+K' in action! Though I'd understand if they wanna wait for either the Little Princess, or Seirah, to join in the festivities first...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Skilletor said:
So...zero new characters again? :/

SNK still has about 20 or so old chars that would be awesome to put in. They don't need new characters. They have a larger catalogue of chars that were in KOF before then SF has, plus they can add in chars from Buriki One, Fatal Fury, and AOF.

I mean, if KOFXIV comes out next year, and I got to add 6 characters- I wouldn't be putting anyone new in. (My 6 choices would be: Malin, Oswald, Yamazaki, Mary, Vanessa, Seth)

No Temjin please though.

Skilletor

arstal said:
SNK still has about 20 or so old chars that would be awesome to put in. They don't need new characters. They have a larger catalogue of chars that were in KOF before then SF has, plus they can add in chars from Buriki One, Fatal Fury, and AOF.

No Temjin please though.

I've played those characters. I want new characters in my new fighters.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
arstal said:

I mean, if KOFXIV comes out next year, and I got to add 6 characters- I wouldn't be putting anyone new in. (My 6 choices would be: Malin, Oswald, Yamazaki, Mary, Vanessa, Seth)

No Temjin please though.
Gai Tendo or no sale.

arstal said:
How many people know Americans who play SNK?

Anybody posting in this thread from the US has to be the start.

Look at the Street Fighter community and how they've converted their fans into legions of proselytizing zealots, seriously I read SRK threads and see hilarious memes like "the Cleveland scene". :lol

Bottom line: If you're reading this thread, in the US, and will buy this game - show it to your friends! Nobody is going to get hooked on a game they don't know exists.

Assuming KoF13 is quality of course. I'm not advocating blindly shoving it down peoples throats.

Ignition did the best job marketing KoF12. I've never seen an SNK game promoted so heavily in all my years of playing fighting games. Unfortunately it all backfired thanks to busted netcode.

I don't think SNK will get a chance like that in the US ever again. :(

I know several persons who claim to be SNK fans, but that I rarely see playing the games at gatherings and taking that into consideration didn't hesitate to dogpile KoF12. I'd be inclined to believe their claims of fandom if I at least witnessed their lying asses playing any SNK fighter. :|

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Skilletor said:
I've played those characters. I want new characters in my new fighters.

In KoF, generally speaking, new characters are introduced at the beginning of an Arc, and those characters carry the Arc to it's final conclusion. KoF XI messed with this tradition with all it's odd console exclusives and guest stars, but those where made at a time when SNKP had a wealth of pre-existing characters made for the game in question...

Assuming XIII is successful, you can expect the next game to have a new group or 2.

At least we have a "unique" boss to look forward to this time, as well.

Also note that some of the character re-imaging really makes them into basically new characters. The "new" Iori being the best example here.

I'd love to see fighters culled from the story (All these "Those from the distant land" guys! Or the Hizoku Clan!), but I think pre-established characters like Oswald, Lin, Adelheid, or even Momoko, deserve more attention... especially if they get refined, retouched, or redesigned.

Projectjustice said:
I still prefer the graphical presentation that KOF12 had.
Dito, even though XII's was pretty minimalistic. Not digging XIII's menu's + character select screen (what we've seen so far I mean) and definitely not a fan of XIII's palette swaps (color-wise at least). So many awful color combinations if SNK is going to leave them as is.

Also: what's so special about Kula? Granted, haven't seen that many gameplay vids of her, but not liking her design.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Urban Scholar said:
Argh? Sir I find your distinct lack of love for K's right hand man a bit displeasing. You do your avatar disservice, for shame.

Wait... because I like K I must like Maxima? I wouldn't mind Maxima as a background characters at all, I just don't like him as a playable character, I wish he was like Candy is to Kula. Also I would definitely prefer Vanessa or Whip instead of Maxima.

-DarKaoZ- said:
Wait... because I like K I must like Maxima? I wouldn't mind Maxima as a background characters at all, I just don't like him as a playable character, I wish he was like Candy is to Kula. Also I would definitely prefer Vanessa or Whip instead of Maxima.

That was merely jest on my part, I actually don''t like him too much myself. So how sure are we of seeing K' in this new location test?

I would guess that next week we will probably get Kula revealed on the site and then the next loketest will have the whole team in it.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
The Take Out Bandit said:
Anybody posting in this thread from the US has to be the start.

Look at the Street Fighter community and how they've converted their fans into legions of proselytizing zealots, seriously I read SRK threads and see hilarious memes like "the Cleveland scene". :lol

Bottom line: If you're reading this thread, in the US, and will buy this game - show it to your friends! Nobody is going to get hooked on a game they don't know exists.

Assuming KoF13 is quality of course. I'm not advocating blindly shoving it down peoples throats.

Ignition did the best job marketing KoF12. I've never seen an SNK game promoted so heavily in all my years of playing fighting games. Unfortunately it all backfired thanks to busted netcode.

I don't think SNK will get a chance like that in the US ever again. :(

I know several persons who claim to be SNK fans, but that I rarely see playing the games at gatherings and taking that into consideration didn't hesitate to dogpile KoF12. I'd be inclined to believe their claims of fandom if I at least witnessed their lying asses playing any SNK fighter. :|

Seriously, most places don't have a scene. Most Americans who play SNK stuff are buttonmashers. One time online some Chinese dude asked what country I was from because he said he never ran into an American who had a clue how to play SNK games- and that was with me getting beasted on.

That said, thankfully locally- there are people who can play SNK. Then again, I live in a weird area in which Melty Blood and 3S are popular, and Marvel and ST aren't.

MicVlaD said:
Also: what's so special about Kula? Granted, haven't seen that many gameplay vids of her, but not liking her design.

People love overpowered lolis.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
General Fighter Fan: Man, I wish games would stop with all the kids, and have some real men! Guys who look like they can FIGHT!! Not schoolgirls and BAO!

(Maxima is released, a 29 year old who is so down to earth he is mistaken for older. He has a harsh face, and looks ready to beat down everyone he faces. This, my friends, is a guy who defines "manly".)

General Fighter Fan: .... AW MAN! WHAT A WASTE! Give me my (young youthful fighter)!!

*sigh*

As nice as it might have been to see K' surrounded by 2 young ladies, you have to admit, K's team is a nice mix. A mature fighter, a younger upstart who is more serious and focused than most, and (assuming Kula) a young fighter who is done right, and not over sexualized or shoving inappropiately overdone cliche actions down your throat.

For me, the best thing about Kula has always been Ray Spin. Just like K' trigger combos, I love the fact they are agressive moves that offer mixups on-the-fly, that each offer their own tactical possibilities. I also think she's among the best of the "newer" SNKP character sprites since 99, probably the one that best fit into the newer, lankier spritework. I always liked that Whip still felt like an older SNK design, probably because she was intended to be introduced earlier...

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
MicVlaD said:

She uses Ice in really cool ways, also she is fun to play. Also to be, in the story, the anti-K they made her quite interesting to be almost the opposite from K, fire vs ice, man vs woman, etc. I think she is quite cool character overall.

-DarKaoZ- said:
She uses Ice in really cool ways, also she is fun to play. Also to be, in the story, the anti-K they made her quite interesting to be almost the opposite from K, fire vs ice, man vs woman, etc. I think she is quite cool character overall.

Rather(see highly) powerful to boot. I think a few years back I read an article were SNKP said they created her for the younger 14 year old & girl crowd. Makes sense with things full circle.

mollipen

AdawgDaFAB said:
Makes me sad to see so much Maxima hate. He is one of my favorite KoF characters.

Not at all being overly dramatic here, I think he's one of the worst character designs SNKP produced for the KOF series since the introduction of Choi & Chang (who may have been SNKP's worst characters ever). There is just not one single thing I can name about his design that I consider to be appealing.

Ferrio

Banned
shidoshi said:
UGGGGGGGGGGGGH! Fucking Maxima. Only Choi and Chang could have been a bigger waste of SNKP's time and money. Good going.

Chang is awesome. I'd love to see a redone sprite of him. Never liked choi... but you gotta have him with Chang.

Edit: Needs to be a Chang Defense Force...

MoxManiac

shidoshi said:
Not at all being overly dramatic here, I think he's one of the worst character designs SNKP produced for the KOF series since the introduction of Choi & Chang (who may have been SNKP's worst characters ever). There is just not one single thing I can name about his design that I consider to be appealing.

Not enough girly clothes or gender-bending facial features?

mollipen

MoxManiac said:
Not enough girly clothes or gender-bending facial features?

Here, there are plenty of manly men that I like in KOF! Ralf, Clark, Takuma, Geese, Billy Kane, Ryo, Kim, Robert, Yamazaki, Heidren, Oswald, Tizoc, Duck King, Heavy D, Shen Woo, Terry when he isn't dressed in his shitty old outfit.

Ferrio said:
Chang is awesome. I'd love to see a redone sprite of him. Never liked choi... but you gotta have him with Chang.

I am so ashamed to be reading this coming from a fellow Mary fan.

Kapwan

Neo Member
With Maxima in now, I'm hoping for Vanessa over Kula, but it will probably end up being Kula as the final member of team K'. I don't see Whip making the cut.

AAK

Kapwan said:
With Maxima in now, I'm hoping for Vanessa over Kula, but it will probably end up being Kula as the final member of team K'. I don't see Whip making the cut.

Here's to hoping for Team Agent for the console release, Ramon, Mary, and Vanessa.

Ferrio

Banned
shidoshi said:
Here, there are plenty of manly men that I like in KOF! Ralf, Clark, Takuma, Geese, Billy Kane, Ryo, Kim, Robert, Yamazaki, Heidren, Oswald, Tizoc, Duck King, Heavy D, Shen Woo, Terry when he isn't dressed in his shitty old outfit.

I am so ashamed to be reading this coming from a fellow Mary fan.

Oh come on, he's hilarious and also good character gameplay wise. I bet a HD makeover would make him badass looking.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I always liked Maxima and his attitude, he's a good straight man for K' as well- like the old Buddy Cop movies. Kula's a good cheerful sidekick, even if she is in desperate need of a redesign.

Air Vapor Cannon sounds kinda silly. Maybe if it shot straight down and Maxima could use it for mobility or something.

Top Bottom