• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

-PXG-

mintylurb said:
I still think the sprites look too blurry. It's quite jarring when the bg looks so much crisper than the sprites.

http://i34.tinypic.com/eurhaf.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I was just about the say the same thing.

zlatko

Banned
Any word yet on a console port? I'm guessing they'll unveil their plans for a console version, if any, next month at TGS right ?

I have managed to actually play the game and I must say, the sprites are very sharp and don't look pixelated. A little bit maybe, but it is almost to the point that it feels like its an accent to the game more than a distraction. I must say, I prefer various shades, increased animation, and increased second animation in sprites with a sacrifice in resolution over super hi res sprites that look cartoony like BlazBlue. The game looks great, the screenshots don't do it justice.

Now I must second the console question.....still no word yet eh?? They don't even ask about it in the interview? This makes me think something might be announced at TGS.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
mintylurb said:
I still think the sprites look too blurry. It's quite jarring when the bg looks so much crisper than the sprites.

I think it's quite nice, like there's a soft focus effect on the characters. It was actually an option in the ps2 games and I really liked the look of it.

Obviously it would be fantastic if the sprites were 1:1 pixel resolution with the backgrounds, but that's pretty unfeasible the way they're doing things with this level of animation.

052.jpg

Gorgeous stuff. The subtle rim lighting on the sprites is amazing.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The Professor translated the article:
MadMan Cafe Professor said:
Very thorough interview on KOFXIII at 4gamer. I've written a synopsis below but the site is very worth checking out, there's a lot of images. Development 3D model pics of K' and Mai, Yuri's special KO, some background cameos, slideshow of Mai's taunt, etc.

Btw, after reading this, I hope to dear God they're going to fix up the game balance, because the finished product is quite different from what they've tried to acheive. It's not a problem if you're playing against casual players that pick the average characters, but when someone comes in with the top tiers (they're in a league of their own), it ruins the game very quickly. It's not as bad as some previous KOF releases, but it's hardly at the balance of 98.

Article synopsis:
Anything in parentheses ( ) are personal notes.

- The fundamental settings, plot, and conclusion to the Ash storyline was already set seven years ago when the chapter started. On the other hand, the team storylines are made up during each of the game's development. (Note: KOFXI's Magaki storyline gives a good overview on the identity of the Kanochi gang.)

- After XI, SNKP made multiple prototypes for a new KOF and it took them quite some time to come up with XII. Some parts of XIII were developed simultaneously with XII.

- Hwa Jai was chosen in XIII for multiple reasons:1.He seemed like he'd be an interesting character /2.He's often appeared in previous Neogeo game's stage backgrounds and he's somewhat known /3.People wouldn't care if the developers played around with his creation, unlike other popular characters /4.With Raiden in Kim's team, Hwa seemed like the perfect extra teammate /5.They wanted a funny character that has impact. (Note: And it was easy to make him by using Joes sprites, but that of course wasn't mentioned)

- There was originally no hyperdrive meter and drive cancels used the power meter. But the developers dicided that adding a new meter would give more depth to the game and give more things for players to learn. Beginners and normal players can start off by playing with just the power meter, and learn to use the drives as they advance. (Note: Nice concept, and drive cancelings are fun to do. However, there's also the downside; the new system lets advanced players annihilate beginners very quickly even compared to previous KOF titles.)

- The developers balanced the game so that not all the characters would be "almighty". They purposely balanced the game in a way that each of the characters have certain opponents that they're strong against. That way, KOF's 3-on-3 system works well. (Note: In competitive play, everyone just picks the Almighties.)

-For instance, with team Japan, Kyo was developed as a shoto character who can shoot projectiles and do anti-airs, making him good at fighting from a distance. Goro on the other hand is a close-range character, and Benimaru was created to fight in mid-range. (Note: Kyo has no need to fight like a Shoto.)

-XIII uses the same rendering techniques as XII in which the sprites are made from 3D models. The developers had an easier time with XIII since they already figured out the methods. A Physics engine and inverse kinematics is used for their movement, but there's a lot of manual fixing by hand to make their movements look better. (Note: K's body isn't separated into 4 colors in his 3D model stage.)

-The 3D models are not nessesarily realistic in terms of body balance since it's for a game; for example, their size of their fists are large in comparison to their heads. (Note: Deforming on the body balance is quite essencial for games.)

-The 3D models are only for reference and details, such as the face and coloring, are done by hand. Also, the model only has diffuse reflection toon shadings; specular reflection highlights (the gloss) are added by hand.

I hope the console version lets you turn off the sprite blur just like in XII.

fubarduck

LALILULELO said:
Back from the Hey Arcade, all 8 machines still pretty much busy all the time.(17.00 till 19.30)
Biggest problem is Mature (as we know)...but almost everyone puts her in the team as last member ..
Then its infinity combo time once someone is up in the air, which makes the fights pretty lame to watch. mature vs mature...who can pull it of the first?
I'm talking here about a full life bar destroyed by floating in the air..

Surprised that the player using that infinite crap never got punched in real life :D

Once again, tournament results have proved Mature not to be as big of a problem as it's blown up to be. Results are in for 18 out of 28 SBO Qualifiers for KOF13 in Japan, and only 1 Mature has actually qualified.

Here are the characters chosen on all 18 qualified players' teams (Note: there is 1 extra character listed, the results from Aomari Nagihei in Hokkaido show the winner using 4 characters for some reason: Kyo, Raiden, Robert, and K'. Probably some kind of mistake, but, for this list, all 4 characters have been counted):

15 K'
9 Kyo
6 Kula
5 Elizabeth
4 Iori
2 Shen, Raiden, Robert
1 Daimon, Mature, Andy, Benimaru, Leona, Mai, Takuma, Yuri, Athena, Kim

Again, with 15 out of 18 players using K', he is without a doubt the overall strongest character. Kyo, Kula, Elizabeth and Iori are at least A+. Mature, even with her infinite, is not as good as these characters.

Maybe we'll see some more Matures qualify for the last 10 qualifiers in Japan, but honestly, I just think we're going to see more K' and Kyo.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hey fubarduck, any chance of getting some sweet direct feed footage from your arcade?
:D

(And yeah i know im asking too much)

Fersis

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
Not for console release.
According to google translate (I know... ) they did it just for fun.
Next week Ogura be on the blog.

Oh, I know... but we could have one of those "Due to popular demand, we decided to include these characters!" type deals XD That would be awesome, but I know it's not entirely likely.

Malin's design looks like it's a bit mixed with Elements of MI2's Nagase. With a Nagase color palette, and a few of her moves, I could actually enjoy playing her...

Hunahan

Banned
That Chang looks great.

The others are so-so.

And seriously....who really cares about Malin???

Fighting game thread character interest-levels are always so strange.

Fersis

Malin is one of the worst SNK characters ever. Right there with K9999... ok that was too harsh.

Console characters : 'Billy' and Iori 98 (The KOXII iso dump said so)

Hunahan said:
That's what I'm saying.

It's like getting excited about a picture of Bao.
:lol
Pretty much yeah.
SNK has/had the best character design i ever seen on fighting games.
So many good chars to bring back or even better : TO CREATE NEW DESIGNS!

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Hunahan said:
That Chang looks great.

The others are so-so.

And seriously....who really cares about Malin???

Fighting game thread character interest-levels are always so strange.

I like Malin.

Oswald and Malin would be my two choices if I got to add two chars for the console release.

Fersis

arstal said:
I like Malin.

Oswald and Malin would be my two choices if I got to add two chars for the console release.
Bad Arstal! Bad !

Go to your room and think about what youve said! :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Every character has fans. And even if they're not favs of mine, I'd love to see any KoF chara's get remade into this era of "rebirth".

Those 3 + Adel are the only "major" characters from this Saga that didn't make it into XIII, anyway. We're gonna see them again sooner or later...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I want Momoko just for the awesomely cute animations. I don't care if she's actually a decent character or not.

Chang looks fantastic, would love to see the others on console, though. Characters like Angel and Vanessa seem likable enough they'd be used to promote a new game.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
luka said:
I want Momoko just for the awesomely cute animations. I don't care if she's actually a decent character or not.

She is hilarious to look at in a cute way, but I really like her moveset, it's so fun to play with her, even if her Super sucks balls. :lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Full Translation of ye olde awesome blog update, provided by Toxico of MMCafe:

Suddenly, in an over use of Authority and almost in a violent tone the producer Kukino came out and said "How would this character look drawn in KoF XIII dotting style graphics", that's a daring plan.

- 5 months have passed since the start of this blog, there have been just so many difficulties but there is this deep feeling that something great was achieved.

Kukino:
With this summer intense heat has been really on season, specially with all of those heated battles of the Tougeki qualifers, Have you not fought on those? Even with that passionate feeling don't go there and forget to consume the right amount of water~.
Now, I wonder if it was just selfish from my part in the beginning and an extortion as an art director, "Everyone should see this character, why not draw them up a bit until they are completely cleaned up!" And even with that abuse of power, I also have been enjoying the results from this batch, and so this blog update took shape.
Now, let's check this exclusive footage.

100826_CHANG.jpg

Already in the Malasian stage Chang Koehan has a cameo appearance in dot graphics, due to Raiden and Hwa he could not make it into this game, however if we would have selected him we would have been aimed to such Volume that the whole screen would have been filled with Chang. Wouldn't have that been tasty?.

<reference: Cameo appearance from Chang>

100826_kameochang.jpg

Well, let's continue with Momoko and Malin

100826_MALIN.jpg
100826_MOMOKO.jpg

Malin and Momoko fans everywhere, are you happy right now?

The gorgeous Mai, the cool Leona ~ Elisabeth ~ King, the sadistic beauty of Mature & Vice, the Cuteness of Athena ~ Yuri ~ Kula is what we got, but what with these two? (Malin & Momoko). Doesn't Momoko give a weightlessness feeling with that appearance, and does not Malin give that impressive agile expression with just looking at her?

And now with Oswald.

100826_OSWALD.jpg

It's a cool Irish Stout Bill, with this design these draws almost become my life time career hobby. Doesn't it look like there is no thing in heaven and earth more stylish that those fingertips? How manly~
As we drawn these, we couldn't help but to wonder what would have happened if these characters would have made the cut into the game. Would you have liked to used them? Oh, well, that would end up as homework for some other time...

- We thank mister Kukino for his over use of power, even though it meant that he had to go at it on a full nighter and now suffers from severe pains in his whole body.
Well, that was a great threat, but there is still juice out for this article, as we can still review something of the demo movie, let's pass some request to mr Nishimura.

Nishimura:

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's Nishimura here.
From now on let's take a look into the characters introduced in the demo movie.

100826_harukeshi.jpg

They became an important factor in the plot development of the story, [those who come from his distant land] (* Here are some of them) (Let's keep it as Harekushi for shorts); here are in casual clothes. We had that in the demo movie most of these guys where on robes, but we have that the director also had ideas on how would they look in casual clothes and how would that would speak to some extent of their personality. Some of these guy appeared previously in our past work (KoF XI) in some endings, but even those fellows got a new costume design just for today.

100826_botanface.jpg
100826_botanfull.jpg

This one was among the core characters from the Harukeshi "Botan" and her set of illustrations, her design was to keep into account the ideas of [well endowed] , [meat on her bones] and [asian beauty] (it's actually &#12300;&#12416;&#12387;&#12385;&#12426;&#12301; &#12300;&#12413;&#12387;&#12385;&#12419;&#12426;&#12301; &#12300;&#12450;&#12472;&#12450;&#12531;&#12499;&#12517;&#12540;&#12486;&#12451;&#12540;&#12301;, for those who can tell the difference). Within the movements of the lip on the movie we wanted to keep that &#12413;&#12387;&#12390;&#12426; feeling, specially in the movement of her lower lips. We aimed to make her waist a representation of her and her to be bathed in positive comments due to that body part.

100826_rose1.jpg
100826_rose2.jpg

In this previous set we have illustrations for Rose.
We wanted to give a big time organizer feeling as this is one of those characters that can put up a large tournament. This beauty has fallen into the control of the Harukeshi gang, just like the tournament itself was put together as a mean to achieve their own purposes. (we advise you to take heed on the game movie for those events). At the time of the creation of these sketches we had in mind to make her volume of her figure something terribly dreadful (they use &#12300;&#32294;&#12525;&#12540;&#12523;&#12301; to describer her.... "important features")

100826_rose3.jpg

The main morfit for her outfit is of course that of a rose themed get up. While her initial design was more or less inspired by red roses, with this new tournament sponsor design we wanted to capture more of a feeling of blue roses, and is exactly that roses the ones that can also be seen in the location meant for the final match and is where the base of operations of the Harukeshi is implied to be located. We think that these outfits are both, elegant and beautiful.
When it comes to these usually minor characters we always want to make a really big difference in appearance from the playable cast, and those introduced in this episode proved a wonderful opportunity which we hope that everyone enjoyed.

- To express our thanks to Mr Kukino and Mr Nishimura as this exclusive double feature proved to be filled with treasure!!
For the next time it's finally the time for our illustrator Ogura to step up into the plate, and find out all of those amazing stories of strong inspirations and sources that produced all of those "beam of getting ideas" to which all the rest of the staff could do nothing but be left in awe each time he did something.
Do not miss the next episode.

Additional Notes on Botan by the Prof:

The second half of the blog shows off documents for the Kanochi team, such as how they look like without their robes, and details on how Botan should look like. The small notes on Botan reads "puffy eyelids", "thick lips", "plump but not fat", "asian look", "leather costume", "ass showing out".

Frankfurt

Banned
Chang looks amazing. The others look like Kula - proportions don't seem to belong in the same game.

But hey, they were done just for shits and giggles, so... No problem there.

EDIT:

By the way, the artist from the concept art on the blog (Botan, etc) is the same person that created Ash (Shen, Malin, Duo were created by other people). Same exact style - same lips, same chin, same smile. I wonder if it's Nishimura himself.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Dali

SAB CA said:
A bunch of new Vids from a multitude of sources:

Arcade Infinity (HD Direct Feed Goodness):
---KoF XIII Tourney - Top 8: Yoshi VS Chris (Vid incorrectly states it's Raul)
---KoF XIII Tourney - Top 8: Romance VS Kane317 ("The best Chin in the US!")

SNK HK (Direct Feed, not HD):
---KoF XIII Character Combos: Shen Woo
---KoF XIII Character Combos: Duo Lon

Smoai (Via NicoNico - Direct feed, good quality):
---Game 41 KoF XIII - Part 1
---Game 41 KoF XIII - Part 2
What's the deal with translucent Mature? Does it have something to do with her character (her storyline/powers/history) or is it just a cool color choice that doesn't have any special significance?

Fersis

Dali said:
What's the deal with translucent Mature? Does it have something to do with her character (her storyline/powers/history) or is it just a color selection they thought would be cool?
SPOILERTON MATCH ,THE SPOILER NEVER ENDS!
Mature and Vice 'arent alive'

Fersis

Hi my name is Fersis and im gonna nerd rage:

-Im watching the KOF Movie right now... Mr. Big is white. T_T
-Iori is dating Mai.

Dali

Ferrio said:
Not really much of a surprise
They've been dead for 13 years
Yeah, I'm only a passing SNK fighter fan. Definitely not enough of one to know anything about KoF's storyline. I watched Another Day and the only thing I was able glean from it was Falcoon is a terrible character designer.

Fersis

KOF MOVIE NOTES:
- Mai is the lead.
- Iori is dating Mai.
- Rugal uses a machine gun and a fake britsh accent.
- Mr. Big is white.
- Terry is a CIA agent.
- Kyo Kusanagi is a western guy.
- Saisyu is japanese at least.
- Mature and Vice are lovers. MOVIE OF THE FOREVER!
- Rugal is like The Joker. T__T

Fersis

KOF MOVIE NOTES:
- Mai is the lead.
- Iori is dating Mai.
- Rugal uses a machine gun and a fake britsh accent.
- Mr. Big is white.
- Terry is a CIA agent.
- Kyo Kusanagi is a western guy.
- Saisyu is japanese at least.
- Mature and Vice are lovers. MOVIE OF THE FOREVER!
- Rugal is like The Joker. T__T
- Ramon,Shermie and Duo Lon are named. (They talk via cellphone.. yeah i wonder whats Duo Lon ring tone)
- 'Riot Of The Blood' Iori
- WTF Ending

Top Bottom