• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

mujun

Why SNK, Why?

No dive move for Tung in the air or jumping chop for Ryo. Oh, yeah, and Choi doesn't have his claw leap from roll.

:(

kunonabi

Question for you guys. What sort of button lay out do you guys use? Do you dedicate a button to max mode activation?

This is the first time I've ever really dived into a KoF game, and I'm having trouble with max cancels. Specifically, theyre so damn fast that i feel like i cant get my hand across the stick fast enough lol.

A C CD
B D -

The CD is mostly for making Daimon's MAX/EX roll shortcut easier. I may go back to the a traditional kof layout eventually which is:

B C D
A

My layout right now is:
A C MAX
B D CD

I normally don't use buttons for dedicated button combos, but since it's only four buttons and the game is pretty speedy, it's more reliable to use one for MAX mode cancels IMO. Plus you can double tap the button to do something like C MAX C into stuff easier.

On a stick, the game really is designed around the old Neo Geo layout since there's no AD combo press. With the NG layout on a stick, the button combos are at most one button apart. Using the other 4 buttons for the combos like this:

A B C D
AB AC BD CD

Means you can also ABC or BCD (for cancelling straight into an EX move) with 2 fingers instead of 3. I prefer it like this since it's easy to remember which combo to press, based on the top row of buttons.

Though it's hard to get used to punch and kick being next to each other, if you're used to Street Fighter's layout. But you can do this instead

A C B D
AB BD AC CD

But your layout is obviously best if you are used to SF's layout!

Just bought it from GS, nice steel book.

Gotta relearn a lot of stuff as I haven't played in years. Glad to be able to play as my boy Iori though.

Pookmunki

Oh my, that's adorable.

Since I have no access to XIV, I played some 98 and 97 yesterday. Connecting Clark SDM never gets old!

I'm still in the theatrical "oh, you beat me!" stage.

50% health handicap helps.

I'm just glad he is enjoying a KOF title and I get someone on the couch to play with :)

Here's a weird glitch - every time I plug in my iPhone 6, my game slows down when heavy effects happen. KOF is the only game that it does this too. Even if I hit "don't allow" it still has issues.

Finished all of the trials outside of the two bosses because I didn't unlock them yet. They should have included some combos where you hop/hyper hop and crouching lights into specials to give us a more well rounded view of the character. I'm just glad there aren't any HD mode combos to worry about. Shit was all good in KOF13 til SNK started asking us to do shoryuken into reverse shoryuken repeatedly with Kyo.

Now off to training mode and party vs.

El Sabroso

Hey, I'm working on a review, and I was wondering: Is the 6-player 3v3 Party Mode new to the series?

unless you count the ages of arcades when a friend tells ya, leave me the 3rd character and I got your back, is entirely new to the series

is likely resembling that backup from arcades lol

According to LI Joe, this is Xhao Hai's current tier list.

CqyjixuWgAErmOg.jpg

https://twitter.com/thisislijoe/status/769169461479890944

This is not xiaohai tier list.

BadWolf

Anyone putting time into Mian?

Love her design and animation so much. She has a very interesting set of moves and normals, feels pretty unique.

Doesn't look like she benefits from quick max much, raw activation should be very useful though since she gains about three moves with invincible start up.

I feel some vega / sagat normals with Love Heart, she has amazing horizontal range, wish she had better or more colors tho

From Ryan Hart's interview with Oda:

24. RH: Will the skin colour customisation option return from KOF XIII?

ODA SAN: As we’ve moved to a new engine with KOF XIV there is now a new process in designing our 3D models. So for now we haven’t designed skin colour customisations, but it’s something that could be considered in the future.

1upsuper

On a stick, the game really is designed around the old Neo Geo layout since there's no AD combo press. With the NG layout on a stick, the button combos are at most one button apart. Using the other 4 buttons for the combos like this:

A B C D
AB AC BD CD

Means you can also ABC or BCD (for cancelling straight into an EX move) with 2 fingers instead of 3. I prefer it like this since it's easy to remember which combo to press, based on the top row of buttons.

Though it's hard to get used to punch and kick being next to each other, if you're used to Street Fighter's layout. But you can do this instead

A C B D
AB BD AC CD

But your layout is obviously best if you are used to SF's layout!

Am I right in assuming A = light punch B = light kick C = heavy punch D = heavy kick? I'm fighting game trash who still picks up all the new fighting games. I'm pretty lost with XIV at the moment.

What's up with the blocking of screenshots in this game? Is there any game mode that you can take them? I haven't checked on saving vids, but I have seen vids uploaded to YouTube, although not sure if that's the Share feature or TV recording software.

Loona

Is the Art of Fighting ending just them doing BBQ and Ryo and Butt being mad at that?

I'm yet to see that ending directly (so far finished with Another World, Official Invitation, China and Japan, since they seem to be the more plot-relevant ones), but from what I've read about the AoF ending, I get the impression it's meant to be a counterpart to SNK's own business during the pachislot days, where the dojo could represent (fighting) game development and the restaurant stuff the pachislot business bringing in the money.

I don't feel quite ready for online yet, since first I want to take everyone for a spin in story mode, but I'm liking what I've tried of Mian (at least one of her specials is really easy to cancel into supers, which is great for a combo-impaired guy like myself - haven't quite gotten the hang of her dive kicks though, which could be important) and Meitenkun (the keep-away game looks strong, as his slow command projectile can give you room to fully charge his charge moves).
It's also pretty neat that Daimon's rush combos lead to special/super throws - I suck at grapplers, so this is one way to try and use the power bar with a character like him.

Also, that retrospective in the China team ending is wonderful for my KoF cast hopes...

so have anyone found all of the team edits?

Some guys at GameFAQs are working on it and have found a whole bunch, with only one more team remaining:

Team Dragons: Ryo, Mui Mui, Kensou
Team Tigers: Ramon, Joe, Robert
Team Old Masters: Tung, Gang Il, Chin
Team Beautiful Hair: Nakoruru, Athena, Kula
Team Tung's Disciples: Terry, Geese, Shun'ei
Team Lucky 7's: Mui Mui, Love Heart, Alice
Team Birds: Zarina, Nakoruru, King of Dinosaurs
Team NESTs Girls: Sylvie, Kula, Angel
Team Ninjas: Andy, Mai, Bandeiras

Edit: Although worth pointing out these may not be 100% accurate. I'm trying to follow that thread I linked for updates, so sorry if it's not spot on.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
There REALLY needs to be an option to turn off the touchpad for position resets in training/trial mode. It's so easy to accidentally hit it when doing motions. ;_;

Jaeger

So Nakoruru states Verse is a collection of souls from different eras, which would definitely mean her era too. Interesting!

Kurki has some connection to Verse (or at least a soul that may reside within him and is now set free).

Verse is stated not to be dead per say, and could return (boo!).

So whom will we see resurrected then? Saiki (KOFXIII) is definitely the being who disturbed time nako referred to.

Who will we see return to KOF? Rugal? NESTS members? The Hakesshu? Will the now living Hizoku clan members killed by Ron come into play?

BadWolf

Oh man, party battle netcode is so legit.

I'm in Canada and have been playing in US and Japanese rooms all day.

I don't even look at connection bars, even if our group is filled with 1 bar connection players it's still very playing over 90% of the time (and by very playable I mean I'm confirming combos even from lights and doing on reaction reversals).

Deps

Took a while, but I think I found a team. Athena/Geese/Leona.

Athena lames people out for meter, Geese does insane dmg, and Leona is a super cheap anchor.

played the whole evening with friends yesterday. everyone liked it after they got over the initial graphics impression. felt and played like kof, i think that's what matters overall. everyone had fun. they just need to fix the netcode to get new people in. it's easier to pull the old timers in.

Marvel

could never
So disappointing that such a cool fighting game is so laggy and slow fps wise. Hopefully we get the patch very soon.

So my network games have been really, really shitty. The game mentioned that I should play in NAT2, and from what I can tell I could set "NAT filtering" to "Open" in my router to achieve this. But it's warning me that I'll get less protection.

Apparently another option is to set a static IP to my PS4 and enter that in "Default DMZ Server", but I'm not sure I know how to set this up on the PS4.

Either way, network is basically unplayable right now. Very annoying. I've played tons of online fighters and KoF14 is the first time there's a problem.

Edit: Okay, I figured out static IP and it's working much better now.

X-Factor

REMINDER:

There is currently a free dynamic (moving & rotating images) King of Fighters XIV PS4 theme on the PSN store.
Probably the best and most stylish free theme I've seen given away IMO.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiwbRB1RNl0

Download link for the free King of Fighters XIV dynamic (moving) theme on the psn store:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...e=Google&utm_term=ps-se-718&utm_content=Brand

Also, the classic Kyo character skin (with retro noises) is free until next Tuesday according to SNK.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...e=Google&utm_term=ps-se-718&utm_content=Brand

9SfscP3.jpg

FJSZ3Pg.jpg

I play this better on controller than I do on a stick for some reason. Also, it feels like the basic moves like heavy punch don't register in trial mode half the time for me.

LTWheels

Is the classic skin released in EU/UK? do not see a link for it. In game when you select PlayStation store no content is found.

I seriously can't get over how beautiful the Kyo Classic costume looks. Just emphasizes how stupid is his new costume is, lol.

I really hope they release more costumes. I'd love to see Garou Terry and maybe some variations of Athena's old designs, or her goddess look.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So We have that PSN Matchmaking section in the OP... what say we actually try to fill it? I figure this would be a good format:

GAF Name ----- PSN NAME ----- Location (Country/Region).

And c'mon Tizoc, we should have at LEAST added http://kof14.commandlists.com/ to the pile of useful media by now!

Probably should at least put a few more reviews under the REVIEW section, and maybe even a link to the current Metacritic, assuming, it's still as good as it was before (I don't follow the site personally.)

Top Bottom