• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

He's pretty ass, there's no real reason to play him over the other grapplers

Doesn't make him ass unless your personal tier lists go from S to D-tier with nothing in between, and I'll definitely take Clark over Ramon or even KoD in this game, but I'm not fixated on him being a "grappler" in my assessment in the first place. I mean sure if you're looking for the best characters with command grabs you'll probably go Benimaru/Yuri/Robert, doubt that's what you had in mind though.

Hmm ? What are their arguments ?

I don't know I just saw a poll from Atma (who thinks this shit is ridiculous) being RT'd. Probably came from a TO without consulting players.

Rhapsody

Banned
My whole team will probably get a few nerfs. Fingers crossed they still say ok.

The DLC characters look fantastic though, can't wait to give them a try.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hey guys, the limited edition worth the $20 extra?

The Artbook is 144 pages worth of design sketches and translations that I've yet to see compiled and collected online anywhere. Sits proudly alongside artbooks I've paid much more for.

The 3 disk OST is great on it's own, but you MIGHT not use it much if you're the kinda person who plays music off YouTube or MP3 style services. Having it legit is awesome though, and 60 songs is nothing to sneeze at.

I'd totally say it's worth it, but YMMV depending on how much you value such products.

Also:

I mean... I'd play it.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Doesn't make him ass unless your personal tier lists go from S to D-tier with nothing in between, and I'll definitely take Clark over Ramon or even KoD in this game, but I'm not fixated on him being a "grappler" in my assessment in the first place. I mean sure if you're looking for the best characters with command grabs you'll probably go Benimaru/Yuri/Robert, doubt that's what you had in mind though.

I don't know I just saw a poll from Atma (who thinks this shit is ridiculous) being RT'd. Probably came from a TO without consulting players.

Ramon has movespeed, mixups and absurd 2 bar damage. Clark has...

I stand by him being the worst grappler, and KoD being high mid tier. His corner pressure is immense and he carries you there from anywhere, he's just lacking without meter.

Clark also has mix-ups and better pressure frame data wise and normals. Ramon's movement speed is used to constantly reposition yourself so you can actually catch things since his normals you use in neutral except for j.CD are slow.
Hell Clark's command grab even leads into his setups which is the thing you wanted for Daimon in the first place.

BadWolf

So just play pre-patch version which would make sense for the tournament if it's too close to the release day!

Yup that's an easy solution but really, who cares about the old version after the new one is out? Not many people are going to care to watch that tournament.

I mean... I'd play it.

Japan is so cruel this time of year -_-

That looks so cute, I'd definitely play it. It wouldn't cost much to make, right?

That combo of Ramon's does 57% damage mid screen and requires him to be second or anchor to do for 2 bars.

Clark's BnB 2 bar combo does 50% and he can do it even on the point position.

There isn't really that much of a difference between the two damage wise and Clark has a lot more opportunities to get a combo going (he has better lows and a better overhead).

Like I said, they all have their advantages.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Yup that's an easy solution but really, who cares about the old version after the new one is out? Not many people are going to care to watch that tournament.

Japan is so cruel this time of year -_-

That looks so cute, I'd definitely play it. It wouldn't cost much to make, right?

That combo of Ramon's does 57% damage mid screen and requires him to be second or anchor to do for 2 bars.

Clark's BnB 2 bar combo does 50% and he can do it even on the point position.

There isn't really that much of a difference between the two damage wise and Clark has a lot more opportunities to get a combo going (he has better lows and a better overhead).

Like I said, they all have their advantages.

Ramon has better runspeed, a running grab that's borderline unreactable, a wayyy better ambiguous jumpin and meterless followup to his overhead.

15% more damage isn't a lot?

There's a reason nobody plays him even among guys that used him for years in previous games. He got nerfed badly, and I'd be surprised if he didn't get buffs.

BadWolf

Ramon has better runspeed, a running grab that's borderline unreactable, a wayyy better ambiguous jumpin and meterless followup to his overhead.

15% more damage isn't a lot?

There's a reason nobody plays him even among guys that used him for years in previous games. He got nerfed badly, and I'd be surprised if he didn't get buffs.

Open practice mode and jab your opponent twice. This is the 15% damage difference you are talking about. It isn't a lot.

Ramon's running throw is good and so is Clark's, in its own way. Unlike Ramon's, Clark's running throw can catch the opponent out of the air, can be used in combos, can hit the opponent after a wall bounce and has an EX version that has the anywhere juggle property. Also keep in mind that Ramon doesn't have a 1 frame command grab unless he uses meter and the meterless follow up to his overhead is a joke when it comes to damage, unlike Clark's overhead it also loses its overhead property when used in a block string.

And who exactly is using Ramon outside of El Rosa in the very beginning? Clark gets used by ET sometimes (he had the best Clark in XIII) at tournaments. In terms of tournament usage they are about the same, even Goro is being represented just by Lacid from Korea.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Open practice mode and jab your opponent twice. This is the 15% damage difference you are talking about. It isn't a lot.

Ramon's running throw is good and so is Clark's, in its own way. Unlike Ramon's, Clark's running throw can catch the opponent out of the air, can be used in combos, can hit the opponent after a wall bounce and has an EX version that has the anywhere juggle property. Also keep in mind that Ramon doesn't have a 1 frame command grab unless he uses meter and the meterless follow up to his overhead is a joke when it comes to damage, unlike Clark's overhead it also loses its overhead property when used in a block string.

And who exactly is using Ramon outside of El Rosa in the very beginning? Clark gets used by ET sometimes (he had the best Clark in XIII) at tournaments. In terms of tournament usage they are about the same, even Goro is being represented just by Lacid from Korea.

Yknow...okay. You have strong feelings about Clark, and I'm not here to convince anyone.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
C8Z8mheVoAA9os4.jpg:orig

Bonus: See, Rock DLC is helping making KOF Mainstream! (>_>:) (Being posted all over twitter via Wrestlemania)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
C8em262VwAA4dpE.jpg:orig

Those 2 command normals, that classic grapple, THE DRILL, etc... that'sa Yamazaki all right. no knife moves, though.

Aw, I was hoping Sand Spray would be 214+K like in CvS2 so as to make linking it into Serpent Slash more manageable.

Aw well, beggers can't be choosers, I suppose. Just happy to finally have My Boy back after all these years.

BadWolf

Gotta wonder why they removed Yama's knife in a game with Nakoruru stabbing people left and right -_-

Some good Mui Mui, Luong, Ryo, Vice action at South Louisiana tournament

Layec Ryo is incredbile. So oppressive.

Layec continues to impress, I do feel that he takes an unnecessary risk by going for a cr.B>cr.C link every time after activation though.

Gotta say, Ryo being able to combo cr. C after dp+A was such an interesting and unique buff in the last balance patch. Really opened up a nice new batch of pressure/offense options for him.

Those stages really get those nostalgia feels going.

The stage that I really wish gets remade one day is the rain stage from KOF99.

Speaking of which, do you guys think we are getting alternate music tracks for the entire cast in the 2.00 update? Or is it just the new music for the two backgrounds and the DLC characters that are being referenced in those early patch notes?

Bonus: See, Rock DLC is helping making KOF Mainstream! (>_>:) (Being posted all over twitter via Wrestlemania)

lmao, this is great. The expression on the wrestler's face is just right too, like he's feeling the power of the busta wolf.

Aw, I was hoping Sand Spray would be 214+K like in CvS2 so as to make linking it into Serpent Slash more manageable.

On the plus side the dp+K motion will make it easy to buffer into the Guillotine DM.

Those 2 command normals, that classic grapple, THE DRILL, etc... that's Yamazaki all right. no knife moves, though.

Aww, Drill is his climax DM? That means it won't be seen too often, depending on how players position him. It still looks like it has the different strength levels depending on how hard you mash, so that's an interesting climax DM.

Also, I imagine Yamazaki doesn't have the knife moves anymore because of the Chinese release. Instead, now he impales people with his hand during that "Pit Viper" super.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
C8ju_V3UIAAblnS.jpg:orig

And Ahhh, that was Geese' AoF2 theme, makes sense. Thanks, Loona. I recognized Andy's right off the bat, as well as Billy's...

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So many double half circles. My least favorite super motion. ;_;

Like I can pull off Geese's old pretzel motion more reliably than DHC's and I don't know why.

BadWolf

Take with a grain of salt but some are speculating that v2.00 might have another graphical update.

So many double half circles. My least favorite super motion. ;_;

Like I can pull off Geese's old pretzel motion more reliably than DHC's and I don't know why.

Have you tried doing them since the last balance patch? They made DHC motions a lot more lenient since then.

Also try doing three half circles instead of two, see if that helps. Oh and make sure to turn input display on in practice mode to see which part of the motion you are missing, you might be missing a back or front while doing it too fast. At a minimum you need to hit the left, down and right directions for an HC to register (if you skip the diagonals it will still come out).

Just to give you an idea of how much leeway you have in the motion. With Clark for example you can do a HCB then double tap forward to make him run (to the point where you can see his running animation) and then input the second HCB+P and still get the super. So yeah, just make sure you aren't doing it too fast and skipping directions in the process.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Take with a grain of salt but some are speculating that v2.00 might have another graphical update.

Have you tried doing them since the last balance patch? They made DHC motions a lot more lenient since then.

Also try doing three half circles instead of two, see if that helps. Oh and make sure to turn input display on in practice mode to see which part of the motion you are missing, you might be missing a back or front while doing it too fast. At a minimum you need to hit the left, down and right directions for an HC to register (if you skip the diagonals it will still come out).

Just to give you an idea of how much leeway you have in the motion. With Clark for example you can do a HCB then double tap forward to make him run (to the point where you can see his running animation) and then input the second HCB+P and still get the super. So yeah, just make sure you aren't doing it too fast and skipping directions in the process.

Oh, cool. No, I haven't tried since the last patch. I'll have to do that! Thanks for all the advice! I'm probably gonna get back into the game when the characters come out, so this is really helpful.

EDIT: Okay I'm pulling them off flawlessly now. Holy shit you weren't kidding about them being easier since the last patch.

Hyun Sai

I'm not surprised.

- Online is more and more important and SNK unfortunately missed the launch. Twice. It may be too late at this point.

- I noticed on stream and in sessions that people in the community can be total assholes towards newcomers / beginners. Snarky and condescendant remarks on stream, tournament players repeatedly destroying newbies in lobbies and never adjusting their play to the beginners. When a game is niche, that's a bad idea, trust me.

- Game is really not pad friendly compared to SFV, and I fear this will become more and more a problem due to the additional cost for the casual players. I can play SFV and Tekken on Pad no problem. In KoF, not so much.

I still have friends to play this game with, but I honestly fear the age of those technical fighters is coming to an end.

Mr. X

I'm not surprised.

- Online is more and more important and SNK unfortunately missed the launch. Twice. It may be too late at this point.

- I noticed on stream and in sessions that people in the community can be total assholes towards newcomers / beginners. Snarky and condescendant remarks on stream, tournament players repeatedly destroying newbies in lobbies and never adjusting their play to the beginners. When a game is niche, that's a bad idea, trust me.

- Game is really not pad friendly compared to SFV, and I fear this will become more and more a problem due to the additional cost for the casual players. I can play SFV and Tekken on Pad no problem. In KoF, not so much.

I still have friends to play this game with, but I honestly fear the age of those technical fighters is coming to an end.
How isn't it pad friendly?

I'd say pad and stick aren't so different for people, but the capcity to train people is probably harder in KOF since it's about learning the game's system rather than a single character. And that can be pretty overwhelming for a new person. Execution is harder than most games too, as SF is looser (even if KOFXIV is easier than previous games) and because of that can appeal to more people.

But the lack of focus from the community is a fairly big problem. It's hard for people coming in to figure out how to pick a character, and there isn't many forms of material en masse like, say SFV or even Tekken. GG has gotten way better ever since Rev came out along the lines of introducing new players to their concepts. And while that material is out there, content like that needs to be repeated and continuously made. You'll see seven people explain the concept of frame data and how it applies to SFV over and over.

Seems redundant, right? But in practice, it's easier to find those videos over a singular one, and that single video might not explain it in a way that's easy to digest.

Also, one of the biggest missed opportunities is not riding the coat tails of SFV's success. My timeline was full (and sometimes still is) of people shitting on SFV and telling pro players and others to come to KOF, but like, I'm less likely to play due to someone being overbearing like that. You don't have to say SF, or any other game, is better than KOF, but knowing when and how to offer the suggestion to add another game to a person's roster, not replace, is key.

I've also seem a few popular Twitter boyz excuse themselves for being assholes because "they've already done a lot for their scenes". Dude, newbies don't give a shit, and it's not a good excuse.

Players from any community need to lift themselves and the people of other communities up. A rising tide lifts all boats and all that. The more popular all games get, the bigger the chance someone's gonna try out your favorite too. And if they don't like it, no biggie, but if you were a cool enough dude they will probably recommended it. I feel like GG fans have cut back on the shitting on other groups as of late, and that's getting more SF players to consider playing their game.

That's my theory, anyway.

Hyun Sai

How isn't it pad friendly?

The precision required to do the different jumps, and the mastery of those is required (especially the hops). You don't have to worry about any of this in SFV, not to mention the stricter inputs.

I can play to my full potential in SFV or any Tekken on a pad. For KoF, I always have to undust the stick lol.

To overcome that, the community would do well to start creating content on how to train smarter.

This is kind of a big problem for fighting games, and it prevents people from playing more than one or two. If you train smart, you spend less time in the lab, and more time being good. Some games get a little attention in that area, but not enough for any of them I'm afraid. Execution isn't something you can just learn how to do with a Youtube video, but you can guide players towards better habits.

Again, I'm sure there are one or two videos out there, but it needs to be commonplace. Juggling multiple games can be difficult as hell, but helping people cut down on the time spent possibly doing shit wrong and having to unlearn that, it'd help a lot.

I say this as a person already trying to juggle a bunch of games, and I want to put KOF back in my roster. It's easy for me to just ask you guys, but I suspect not so easy for non-GAF people.

Top Bottom